closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Rolex Collection

The Rolex Collection

116660 Blue ‘17, 116660 ‘12, 116520 D serial, 16600 Z, 16610 A, 16700 A

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A lovely collection! Do you have favourite?

Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    A lovely collection! Do you have favourite?
    I like them all. DSSD Black, Blue, the Daytona and GMT in that order most use. Haven’t put on the seadweller or the sub in ages. Current favourite is the blue.

Grand Master
    A lot of money tied up in watches that look far too similar in my view, something I’ll never understand.

Lovely collection! Better selection than the Rolex AD in Harrods yesterday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    A lot of money tied up in watches that look far too similar in my view, something I’ll never understand.
    And a significant ongoing service liability.

No real problem though all the time the bubble continues to grow ...

Master
    I was thinking that too.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Do you need to?

Master
    There are many of us who do appreciate / collect watches which ostensibly look very similar but give us pleasure for their subtle differences (aesthetic or functional) and context / rarity.

We all like different things but I, ironically, can't see the point of posting on threads celebrating others' tastes to say that you don't share them. It seems something of an unnecessary "spoiler."

On Saturday, collectors from all over the world met to share and enjoy perhaps 500 watches that mostly looked like the ones I took :

We found plenty to enjoy therein.

H

Master
    Lovely collection OP and Haywood as usual has hit the nail on the head, don’t worry about the negative comments and whatever you do don’t sell up and start flower arranging, I kid you not they are really catty over on that forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    There are many of us who do appreciate / collect watches which ostensibly look very similar but give us pleasure for their subtle differences (aesthetic or functional) and context / rarity.

We all like different things but I, ironically, can't see the point of posting on threads celebrating others' tastes to say that you don't share them. It seems something of an unnecessary "spoiler."

On Saturday, collectors from all over the world met to share and enjoy perhaps 500 watches that mostly looked like the ones I took :

H
    I’d love to see your collection one day Haywood; even the small parts that you show us from time to time are quite outstanding!

Blog Entries
    Nice collection and thanks for sharing it. Have some watches in my small collection which are similar looking to the others but enjoy them all. Part of the affliction I think!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I’d love to see your collection one day Haywood; even the small parts that you show us from time to time are quite outstanding!
    That's very kind. Just let me know in advance when you find yourself in these parts

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    It is a lovely collection. I'm jonesing to straighten the sd bezel though :D

Nice set of Rolex'.

Haywood is right, there is a crossover point between where you get a few watches you like and then starting to 'collect' them. The collecting mind set is different, you may not even wear some of the watches and then you might get into 'completion' mode, where you want all variations, this can be dangerously expensive.

Often a person will have watches they have bought outwith the 'collection' just to wear because they like the look.

Who knows really what drives this acquisitive behaviour but it is not uncommon across a huge range of objects, seems to hit males more than females.

Mitch

Master

H
    Wow. Just wow.

I think collecting is just another obsession. The more niche the collection, the more obsessed one is. Arguably someone who collects just a certain model, or style, or year, or brand, is more of a collector than one who just likes watches of different styles and brands.

Personally I love all (most) watches and long live Haywood's passion for vintage Rolex divers!

Super collection. A little envious of the Daytona !

Craftsman
    Lovely collection. It was actually really helpful seeing those models side by side for me.

H
    Thanks H, Three of those I’ve bought from you!

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    It is a lovely collection. I'm jonesing to straighten the sd bezel though :D
    Haha, a few of them are a bit squiffy!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
    Thanks H, Three of those I’ve bought from you!
    Ha-ha! I didn't realise! This is the problem with people's forum names - the slower members such as I have no idea with whom we are talking.

It's an impressive collection and let's not forget that such commercial choices put you in a much better position to change in the future if your tastes lead you elsewhere.

The Rolex Collection

Ha-ha! I didn't realise! This is the problem with people's forum names - the slower members such as I have no idea with whom we are talking.

It's an impressive collection and let's not forget that such commercial choices put you in a much better position to change in the future if your tastes lead you elsewhere.

The 16700 in 2009, 16520 in 2009, 116660 in 2017.
    You’re right, the GMT & Daytona have shown significant increases in value. A

The Rolex Collection

That's very kind. Just let me know in advance when you find yourself in these parts
    Thanks for the most generous offer Haywood, I’ll definitely give you a call when I’m up your way.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Very nice!!!

Clearly a Deepsea lover owning both variants!!!! Prob my fave Rolex diver, I always loved looking at the chunky beast side on!

Any future plans? No green Sub temptation?

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Very nice!!!

Clearly a Deepsea lover owning both variants!!!! Prob my fave Rolex diver, I always loved looking at the chunky beast side on!

Any future plans? No green Sub temptation?
    I’ve not seen the green sub in person, not sure about that one. I’m happy with I’ve got at the moment. If and only if I could get a new Daytona at RRP but who wouldn’t!

Lovely looking collection OP
    Congratulations.

Very nice collection and absolutely nothing wrong with collections that are based on certain models or have a theme running through them.

Aren't Paul's late 50s/early 60s Omega dress watches a bit similar to each other

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Do you need to?
    I don't think we need any self appointed forum Police criticising someone posting an opinion; the forum needs a range of opinion otherwise it would be very dull. As long as there is no trolling or offensive content where is the problem of someone posting a view?

This just highlights the different "types" of collectors .... some will look to collect a range of styles and others may choose to focus on a particular type or style.

Perhaps the most obvious example of the latter are those who collect "The Dirty" Dozen" ...

Great collection. I guess everyone has a ‘type’ be it watches or men/women. Sometimes the subtle differences are the most pleasing. Enjoy!

Master
    That is a lovely collection. I would also be a bit diver focused, which may be odd as I only wear an old g shock or similar to dive. I especially love the pair of DSSD 's, I sold my black to fund my d blue and wish I had been able to keep both.
    I hope you wear each of them at some point.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I don't think we need any self appointed forum Police criticising someone posting an opinion; the forum needs a range of opinion otherwise it would be very dull. As long as there is no trolling or offensive content where is the problem of someone posting a view?

This just highlights the different "types" of collectors .... some will look to collect a range of styles and others may choose to focus on a particular type or style.

Perhaps the most obvious example of the latter are those who collect "The Dirty" Dozen" ...
    Four words and a question mark = Self appointed critical forum police brutality.
    I'll ring amnesty so you don't have to.

Banned
    Dream collection , nice mix with some vintage models .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I would wager most of us here are on the wrong side of 50 and let's be frank, the cost of six Rolex is bugger all in comparison to what most of us have in property, cars, pension funds, equities and savings etc.

Also they are easily liquidated and above all are enjoyable to wear.

That's a whole load of oyster right there. That is a beautiful collection and whilst in a group shot they seem very similar and indeed some are very similar, they're different enough and special enough to coexist in any collection (and certainly any collection of mine!)

Master
    That's a great collection you have there OP.

My collection would probably be classed as too similar, or too modern, or too Rolex. Who cares - I buy what I like.

Perhaps a PAM may appease the dissenters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I can’t understand people having such similar watches!

The Rolex Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post

I guess if you are into them, you can appreciate the differences. If you aren’t, what difference does it make?

I write as someone who owns watches almost no-one is interested in, duplicates or not :).
    Last edited by alfat33; 23rd April 2018 at 18:02.

Great collection

If you like the type of watch or buy as investment or adoration who cares?

It’s your money and your thing - it’s why we are here

I’m into Breitling ana digital watches
    No idea why I’m drawn to them really but they all look similar and I don’t use any of the functions!

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Nice set of Rolex'.

Haywood is right, there is a crossover point between where you get a few watches you like and then starting to 'collect' them. The collecting mind set is different, you may not even wear some of the watches and then you might get into 'completion' mode, where you want all variations, this can be dangerously expensive.

Often a person will have watches they have bought outwith the 'collection' just to wear because they like the look.

Who knows really what drives this acquisitive behaviour but it is not uncommon across a huge range of objects, seems to hit males more than females.

Mitch
    Handbags and shoes spring to mind for the fairer sex. Certainly more handbags than watches in my house, and multiple times of ladies shoe and I dare say they’ve cost as much as the watches in total ifvthe truth be known.

I totally get the above, all three are very different watches. I have owned the left and right watches and nearly bought the middle one as well, but never at the same time.

Perhaps we need a new thread for collections or numbers of the same model based on a theme across a range of brands.

I know Chalet.
    Why do you need more than one watch?