closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Costa Rica - has anyone been and any recommended resorts?

Red face Costa Rica - has anyone been and any recommended resorts?

Planning 10/12 days on the Pacific Coast. This Summer. Possibly all-inclusive if the resort, but not sure. Or is it better to just hire a car and do 2 or 3 places in 12 days?

All advice welcome! :)

Costa Rica - has anyone been and any recommended resorts?

We did a 14 day one with Tui, 4 days first both up in the canopy line of the rainforest, then down into the rainforest then 10 days relaxing at a beach resort. Recommended as you get to see a bit of everything and you aren’t totally isolated at a AI resort.

Last edited by robcuk; 22nd April 2018 at 11:06.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Friends have been here: https://www.riomagnolia.com/ and rave about it but admit it's probably not for everyone. If you want a beach addon they can make recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    Possibly all-inclusive if the resort
    Why? You could be in any anonymous hotel anywhere in the world for the same experience.

AIl inclusives are the scourge of the modern travel industry.

Red face

I meant to finish in that line ‘...if the resort is far away from everything.’ I agree that ideally I’d avoid all-inclusive resorts. I’d still do day trips to various locations/ activities - wouldn’t just sit on one beach or next to the pool. :)

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Why? You could be in any anonymous hotel anywhere in the world for the same experience.

AIl inclusives are the scourge of the modern travel industry.

I've been a few times, with and without the rest of the family, but we avoid resorts so can't really help with your main enquiry very much. I usually rent a 4WD from Wild Rider and book accommodation independently in the Monteverde Cloud Forest, coffee regions and Pacific coast.

We absolutely loved both Rafiki Safari Lodge and Rafiki Beach Camp near Parque Nacional Manuel Antonio, owned and run by a South African emigrant family. The Safari Lodge is fairly upmarket with great food, a bar and many activities available. The Beach Camp is much more basic but an amazing experience with sloths sleeping in the trees nearby, iguanas strolling amongst the palms and regular visitors of gangs of white-headed capuchin monkeys. The sunsets are reliably stunning in both locations.

At best these options could be described as 'glamping' but they do offer something a bit different and memorable.

Craftsman
    I went a few years ago, and while the area near Volcán Arenal and the Monteverde Cloud Forest was quite beautiful, and the beaches on the west coast of the Guanacaste were spectatular, the Osa and Corcovado National Park were unforgettable.

The Corcovado hosts what may be the largest of the remaining lowland rainforests on the planet, and most biodiverse places on earth. It is not super easy to get to, and tends further toward the rustic, though luxury all inclusive accommodations are available, these remote and majestic wet jungles offer an unparalleled experience.

https://www.corcovadoguide.com/

We rented a car, a mini SUV called a Daihatsu Terios from Wild Rider, and would have been lost without it. Definitely used the 4WD, and though low powered, the lighter car handled the conditions quite well for the 2 of us. Would have been far too cramped though for 3 or more.

www.wild-rider.com

Last edited by jcm3; 22nd April 2018 at 17:25. Reason: photos