timefactors watches

Thread: SmugMug acquires Flickr

SmugMug acquires Flickr

As below...

We’re excited to announce that Flickr has agreed to be acquired by SmugMug, the photography platform dedicated to visual storytellers.

SmugMug has a long history of empowering people who love photography and who want to improve their craft, making them a perfect fit for Flickr and our creative community. With SmugMug, we’ll continue to focus on you, the Flickr members who inspire us all with your work.

Nothing will change immediately with regard to your Flickr account. You will still access Flickr with your current login credentials and you will have the same Flickr experience as you do now. We will continue to work to make your Flickr experience even better.

We think you are going to love Flickr under SmugMug ownership, but you can choose to not have your Flickr account and data transferred to SmugMug until May 25, 2018. If you want to keep your Flickr account and data from being transferred, you must go to your Flickr account to download the photos and videos you want to keep, then delete your account from your Account Settings by May 25, 2018.

If you do not delete your account by May 25, 2018, your Flickr account and data will transfer to SmugMug and will be governed by SmugMug’s Terms and Privacy Policy.

Read more detailed FAQs about this transition on the Flickr Blog

I received the same message yesterday. I will be keeping a close eye on this as I have a lot of photos now stored on Flickr.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I've been with SmugMug for nearly a year since the PB debacle. It's an excellent resource for hosting and organising images, and when I've had questions about using the site the response has been fast and helpful, you have nothing to fear. Unless they start to charge. At less than £3 per month I've been more than happy with their service.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Unless they start to charge. At less than £3 per month I've been more than happy with their service.
    And this is exactly what they will do. Although £3 per month sounds ok compared to PB's faintly ridiculous attempt at extortion, I'll still be downloading files now just in case.

The FAQ on SmugMug seems to be saying all the right things. I suspect over time Flickr users will be "persuaded" to move to a paid SmugMug account. As Yahoo simply left Flickr to stagnate and never really monetised it (my 1TB account was/is free) I can see why they've let it go.

I very nearly switched to SmugMug a few months ago after a trial, but had already moved from PB to Flickr and was getting on fine with the browser interface and free 1TB of storage. It looks like it will happen now anyway. The iOS Flickr app isn't up to much and the flaws haven't been addressed so maybe there will be some investment and improvement with this change. I'm not too concerned, the cloud is a convenient way to share images and other files but I don't rely on it for storage or backups.

I also use SmugMug and its a great platform on a computer, the mobile app lacks a easy way to post photos to the forum from a phone though.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I also use SmugMug and its a great platform on a computer, the mobile app lacks a easy way to post photos to the forum from a phone though.
    That was my last stumbling block before signing up. What I do is use the site via the browser I use on my iPhone, iCab Mobile, and this is as fast as using my iMac. Same on iPad too.

I went my own way after Dropbox started being awkward buggers. I'm somewhat more interested in what this says about the future of Yahoo, the previous owners.
    Die Zeit verwandelt uns nicht, sie entfaltet uns nur.

In June 2017, Yahoo and AOL joined forces to create Oath, a media and technology company with a dynamic house of global brands, and a part of Verizon. It’s an exciting venture that we believe will bring a host of new innovations and digital experiences for our users. With Verizon, Oath can provide you with better experiences and services.
    AVDACES FORTVNA IVVAT

Blog Entries
    I've just downloaded all my Flickr albums ahead of the inevitable monthly subscription fee

It's relatively easy & allows you to download each of the albums as a zip file.

z

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ve been using Smugmug for many years and find it an excellent platform. And I am of a mindset @ you don’t get nowt for nowt - the converse is also true.

I'm actually uploading my photo library to SmugMug as I type, having decided to migrate away from PB prior to my legacy plan coming to an end in December. It's a lovely platform, but I now have the pain of changing all the links on my Wordpress blog, which will be a pain in the derrieire - there are hundreds