closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Artificial grass - experiences?

Craftsman

Artificial grass - experiences?

We are thinking of replacing the awful grass on our house which we bought last September with artificial grass

Neither of us are keen gardeners. We have 2 cats and likely to have kids in the near future.

In total would have around 80m2 area - 50 out the back and around 30 out the front (divided by the path to the front door)

So the questions

Does anybody have it? Good/bad points about it? Costs? How has it faired in terms of wear? Would you do it again given the choice?

Thanks in advance for the help

We’ve had it done - brilliant for us. Still looks good after 3 years. I hated cutting it so not having to do that now is great

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
    We’ve had it done - brilliant for us. Still looks good after 3 years. I hated cutting it so not having to do that now is great
    Can I ask where you bought it and what sort of pile height / density you went for if you can remember?

Master
    We’ve just bought a new place, and the fact it had artificial grass probably swung it for us!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    We’ve just bought a new place, and the fact it had artificial grass probably swung it for us!
    Good to know, you obviously liked the way it looked etc then?

Master

Artificial grass - experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post
    Good to know, you obviously liked the way it looked etc then?
    That and the fact Cape Town has no water to actually water natural grass!

Having just spent an hour mowing the lawn in the U.K. I won’t miss that either.

I think there was an extensive thread about this last year.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

As a thought, my sister had a firework land on her artificial back lawn, the fence caught fire and the lawn got spoilt. Wasn’t covered on house insurance so worth checking.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    As a thought, my sister had a firework land on her artificial back lawn, the fence caught fire and the lawn got spoilt. Wasn’t covered on house insurance so worth checking.

Thanks for that

I’m also looking at how to make the real grass better

I don’t mind cutting grass at all so that’s not a key part of the decision

We have articial grass in our back garden - not 100% sure on the brand or type, sorry (not very helpful I know!)

We have two young kids and it’s great, basically like an extra room in the summer. We just vacuum it every now and then. Ours is quite thick so any trips or bumps don’t hurt.

It is very robust and hasn’t faded or degraded in any way. Wasn’t sure about it when the mrs first proposed the idea but it has actually turned out really well and I would highly recommend it!

Master
    It wasn’t my first choice, but after several years of trying to get the lawn back after winters which had left it mossy and patchy, I decided to try it. It cost about the same as the complete preparation and re-turfs had. Now, 5 years on, I am more than happy with it. The virulent green has faded to a more reasonable hue over the years and it just needs a decent sweep every now and then.
    It’s all in the preparation though and it’s worth spending a bit more on a decent product as there are some seriously horrible versions around.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the experiences so far, contacting a few local people for quotes is the next step