closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Kitchen Knives. ?

Kitchen Knives. ?

My darling wife has suggested that it's about time we replaced our kitchen/cooking/food prep knives.

Any recommendations you might want to share about your own preferences/experiences with a particular decent brand?

Thanks in advance

There have been a few threads on this topic in the past.

I’ve been happy with my Global block for about 7 years now. Kept sharp with a MinoSharp ceramic sharpener. All- in was probably around £450 but that was some time ago and we bought some additional knives to add to the ones that came with the set.

Some folk will swear by artisan brands fit for a samurai but I’ve been happy with mine, even if you can buy them in JL.

Master
    I recommend Victorinox.

We bought a set of 7 knives in a block some time in the nineties and they are still going strong today.

Buying cheap knives is utter stupidity and by buying something like a Victotinox, you will be making a once off purchase and they will last you for life. Buy cheap buy twice.

Beware of the name "Sabatier". It was once a sign of quality but is now mainly tat living off a once good name.

Kitchen Knives. ?

David Mellor, British hand made in the heart of historic steel and cutlery making country (well 10 miles from Sheffield, but near enough).

And no, not the flabby, Chelsea shirt wearing, Tory-boy David Mellor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 21st April 2018 at 15:31.

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    There have been a few threads on this topic in the past.

I’ve been happy with my Global block for about 7 years now. Kept sharp with a MinoSharp ceramic sharpener. All- in was probably around £450 but that was some time ago and we bought some additional knives to add to the ones that came with the set.

Some folk will swear by artisan brands fit for a samurai but I’ve been happy with mine, even if you can buy them in JL.
    This sort of thing John? ;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Global-Clas...70_&dpSrc=srch

Kitchen Knives. ?

Quote Originally Posted by Falcata View Post
    Pretty similar set. The block is different and ours didn’t come with the bread knife (which is excellent BTW).

For £399 that looks like a good set. Spend another £20 on the MinoSharp ceramic sharpener and you’ll be away.

Pretty similar set. The block is different and ours didn’t come with the bread knife (which is excellent BTW).

For £399 that looks like a good set. Spend another £20 on the MinoSharp ceramic sharpener and you’ll be away.
    Yes - I think i'll be clicking and buying imminently....

I've just had a search through the camera roll on my phone, as I'd taken a photo of a knife i'd seen at a recent dinner party and would you believe it - it's a Global. They raved about it then and together with your recommendation - I think i'm now convinced. Cheers John

Enjoy. I think they’re good value at that price point and we’ve been really happy with ours.

Remember not to put them in the dishwasher though (I think there’s a thread about that too!).

Master
    Depends what price you want to spend. I have Kai Shun premiere, and they are absolutely fantastic, but my set of Robert Welch are still great knives at less than a quarter of the price.

Enjoy. I think they’re good value at that price point and we’ve been really happy with ours.

Remember not to put them in the dishwasher though (I think there’s a thread about that too!).
    Gets even better .. I've found the same block for £349 in Tesco. Result.. Just ordered

I was just going to say, check Tesco and Costco.

Master
    victorinox are great knives! It's the only brand I use at work. I have tried a few, a lot of them more expensive as well. I always end up going back to them. The last and hold the edge for longer!

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I recommend Victorinox.

We bought a set of 7 knives in a block some time in the nineties and they are still going strong today.

Buying cheap knives is utter stupidity and by buying something like a Victotinox, you will be making a once off purchase and they will last you for life. Buy cheap buy twice.

Beware of the name "Sabatier". It was once a sign of quality but is now mainly tat living off a once good name.

Another shout out for Global.

Very impressive product.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by golf View Post
    victorinox are great knives! It's the only brand I use at work. I have tried a few, a lot of them more expensive as well. I always end up going back to them. The last and hold the edge for longer!
    Yes, they are made in the same factory as the Swiss Army Knife.

Another Global user/fan here - quality product and keeps a good edge.

At their price point Global are a really safe buy. Good quality and keep a decent edge.
    J

Wusthof classic. Excellent range of knives

The key decisions are,
    European Vs Asian
    Matching set Vs mixed

I would opt for the latter in both choices. Thin, light Japanese knives made of high performance stainless steels. Mixed because matching is not so important to me. European knives tend to be thicker, therefore heavier and be sharpened at more obtuse angles, which gives lower performance but potentially more resistance to chipping.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    The key decisions are,
    European Vs Asian
    Matching set Vs mixed

I would opt for the latter in both choices. Thin, light Japanese knives made of high performance stainless steels. Mixed because matching is not so important to me. European knives tend to be thicker, therefore heavier and be sharpened at more obtuse angles, which gives lower performance but potentially more resistance to chipping.
    Well said. Full set looks nice, but better to have the best tool for the job depending on what you use each type of knife for.

I am also beyond the idea of having one of these full sets. Half the knives just end up sat unused. Chef, paring, bread, and at a push a petty/utility.

Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    I was just going to say, check Tesco and Costco.
    Thanks mate. It was just luck I saw Tesco on a google search for the knives.

Master
    My vote goes to Kai Shun
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...d-296466981534

Had five of them for the last 7 years and love them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    My vote goes to Kai Shun
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...d-296466981534

Had five of them for the last 7 years and love them.
    100% agree with this, we have a mixture of Kai & Global and 99% of the time I’ll reach for the Kai.

What I would say is find a decent shop where you can handle the knives and find one which feels comfortable in your hand.

Highly recommend Robert Welch, especially at the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpshell View Post
    Highly recommend Robert Welch, especially at the price.
    On what basis?

Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    On what basis?
    Build quality is very good, very sharp out of the box, full tang, handle shape very ergonomic and nice weight (I don't like very lightweight knives)

Been using daily for 2 months and no signs of dulling

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpshell View Post
    Build quality is very good, very sharp out of the box, full tang, handle shape very ergonomic and nice weight (I don't like very lightweight knives)

Been using daily for 2 months and no signs of dulling
    Depends how you use them, but they do dull pretty fast in a professional environment, but then one day in such an environment would probably be equivalent to a month of use at home. I agree though. Still great knives. Very comfortable design. Also have a lifetime!e warranty I believe.

I tend to mix and match, buying knives as and when I see a style which appeals. Only departure from this is a set of US made Chicago Cutlery knives. I rate Taylors Eye Witness models, and costco Pro knives.

Just my 2p: always worth spending a bit of timing learning how best to sharpen them according to your needs. Great ergonomics, looks, and them coming out of the box sharp don't mean anything once they are eventually dulled and need the edge bringing back!

Quote Originally Posted by Complex View Post
    Just my 2p: always worth spending a bit of timing learning how best to sharpen them according to your needs. Great ergonomics, looks, and them coming out of the box sharp don't mean anything once they are eventually dulled and need the edge bringing back!
    ^^^This

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I started a similar thread recently

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ecommendations

still yet to buy myself any as I really want to handle before I buy and it’s tricky living in the sticks

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    I started a similar thread recently

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ecommendations

still yet to buy myself any as I really want to handle before I buy and it’s tricky living in the sticks
    Knivesandtools, free shipping and returns :)