closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Will an Auto work on a belt?

Journeyman

Will an Auto work on a belt?

As I’m now bare below elbows at work will an auto wind if worn on my Belt? Don’t currently own an Auto but was considering a new Damasko for every day use.

I wouldn’t advise it.. Stick it on a Nato and wear it above your elbow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rather poorly - unless you are a gymnast!

Master
    If this is an NHS related policy then ignore it and if challenged ask them to provide evidence. We are supposed to provide evidence based care so they should provide evidence based policy. Just don't tell your employer I told you to!

All my autos work fine on my wrist at work

Aside from the partial joking above, when I did wear an auto (SKX007) on a belt for periods when it was reasonable at work then it was fine. Mostly I think because I wore it on my wrist to and from work and in the evening so it was fully wound during the day. More of an issue was when I dropped it taking it off my belt and it stopped working...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mmgg1988 View Post
    If this is an NHS related policy then ignore it and if challenged ask them to provide evidence. We are supposed to provide evidence based care so they should provide evidence based policy. Just don't tell your employer I told you to!

All my autos work fine on my wrist at work

Aside from the partial joking above, when I did wear an auto (SKX007) on a belt for periods when it was reasonable at work then it was fine. Mostly I think because I wore it on my wrist to and from work and in the evening so it was fully wound during the day. More of an issue was when I dropped it taking it off my belt and it stopped working...
    It is NHS related and I know the evidence is bullshit and I am getting a bit fed up with being told to take my watch off so have been wareing a Seiko Quartz Chrono on my belt for about a week now.
    If I do purchase a new Auto I guess it won’t be an issue as it will only be on my belt for 4 12 hour periods every 9 days!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by m@tty View Post
    It is NHS related and I know the evidence is bullshit and I am getting a bit fed up with being told to take my watch off so have been wareing a Seiko Quartz Chrono on my belt for about a week now.
    If I do purchase a new Auto I guess it won’t be an issue as it will only be on my belt for 4 12 hour periods every 9 days!
    Surely biggest risk is if it falls off it maybe sometime before you notice. Isnt it safer in a pocket?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Surely biggest risk is if it falls off it maybe sometime before you notice. Isnt it safer in a pocket?
    Can’t see it falling of using a gasgasbones strap and it’s pretty secure! Would buy a similar strap for new watch! Having thought about it the watch is only going to be on my belt during work hours so should be fine! Had just woken from a night shift when I was pondering and posted this question and three coffees later my brain appears to be working..

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Out of interest, why would the NHS want you to remove your watch while at work.

Another stupid policy based on no evidence and anything in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post

He's a gynecologist

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by geran View Post
    He's a gynecologist
    PMSL

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post

It is a infection control policy, and it is NHS wide so no escaping it really. The thing that will get you really annoyed is the fact that the same policy allows you to wear a wedding ring due to religious reasons! Kind of makes a mockery of it really.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Does this extend to consultants, i very much doubt it.

It extends to everyone, but some are braver than others in flaunting the rules. I regularly see surgeons with double cuff shirts, cufflinks, watch and signet ring...
    I tried wearing my watching on my belt. It was secure until I forgot about it and went to the loo. On undoing my belt the watch went straight down the toilet with a resounding "plop"!!
    Needless to say, I've gone back to wearing it on my wrist (and I'll just take it off when the CQC clipboard monkeys roll up)

Quote Originally Posted by dylanbooth78 View Post
    It is a infection control policy, and it is NHS wide so no escaping it really. The thing that will get you really annoyed is the fact that the same policy allows you to wear a wedding ring due to religious reasons! Kind of makes a mockery of it really.

Can understand the ring, lot easier to keep that clean. A leather watch strap will never be.

Master
    Just give your auto a good wind before attaching it to the belt? I think most autos are pretty much fully wound after 40-60 winds?

Either that or gyrate your hips at every opportunity during your shift...

I'm an NHS employee myself & I'm forever getting pulled for wearing my watch. Totally agree with above post regarding exemption of the rule if wearing a wedding ring; surely it's either a risk or it's not regardless of religious beliefs?

Journeyman
    Can’t really flaunt the rules as my immediate boss is an infection control lead and I believe we might be being filmed soon.. My boss also has a habit of dropping in unannounced.. Don’t want to end up on national TV breaking any rules.

Journeyman
    Speaking from experience it will hardly wind when worn on the belt. But I wear it on the wrist to and from work, and throughout the rest of the day away from work, which seems to be enough to keep an auto going. During long days and nights though my watches hardly get worn and what wrist time there is isn't enough to keep them wound. So I bring a manual wind with me, that way I know it will have a full wind each day.

Some people do flout it but I think it's directly proportional to how likely, or unlikely rather, someone is going to challenge you on it due to your balls or scariness. Seniority doesn't matter if you're nice (it means someone won't be afraid to challenge you on it). Also if your area is infection control then I guess it would look a little bad if you're not following one of the most visible rules yourself. It's also a pain washing your hands whilst wearing your watch as you inevitably also want to wash your wrists and lower forearms and it just gets in the way. And quite frankly I wouldn't want my watch and its leather strap on my wrist knowing all the things that come into contact with my hand during a shift.

Luckily for myself I will be moving into an area that does allow the wearing of watches soon. Can't help but think I made major career decision based on the fact I can wear my baubles to work...

Journeyman
    When I did search and rescue, a lot of us wore one on our wrist and one on our belt loop. I never had a problem and didn't hear of anyone else having a problem.

Blog Entries
    Should do but make sure you remove stray hairs afterwards. Belt? Belt? Sorry, I misread the title,I thought it was ‘Pelt’! Velorum, where are you?

Most watch owners don't bloody clean their watches though- so I can see the policy. But it's a pain, the missus doesn't wear watches or rings at work because of it :(
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master
    Agreed, most people don’t think to clean watches qnd after a while they get really dirty. Some of the stuff I’ve received has been pretty grotty, first job is to clean the outside before starting work.

Paul

Sounds like a waist of time to me

If your clinical, I sure wouldn’t want some of the things that get splashed around on my watch, or contaminating the strap, thanks very much.....

I don’t really need one, but you could try a smaller p/w with a chain and clip.
    Last edited by sestrel; 22nd April 2018 at 15:19.

Over two decades in food production management/engineering tells me that the wedding ring thing isn't about religion but rather about it being a "plain band" - rather than a ring with stones or texture.

I don't personally wear a wedding ring - it's a relatively recent fad for men to do so - but l wear a ring belonging to my great grandfather that is essentially a plain band. Having discussed it with the HR (human remains) depts of three of the largest food producers in the world, l am confident that it is well within the realms of good hygiene.

A watch, however, is another matter altogether. I don't think it'll ever be accepted in certain environments anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Sounds like a waist of time to me
    I see what you did there...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Time to invest in a snazzy pocket watch on a chain and leave the watches for home and weekend.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Time to invest in a snazzy pocket watch on a chain and leave the watches for home and weekend.
    I’m not a watch collector would rather have one that does everything than one for every day of the week!

Master
    Out of interest what Damasko are you interested in?

Can’t really flaunt the rules as my immediate boss is an infection control lead and I believe we might be being filmed soon.. My boss also has a habit of dropping in unannounced.. Don’t want to end up on national TV breaking any rules.
    Wear it round your ankle?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post
    Out of interest what Damasko are you interested in?

DA43 Black

Master
    DA43 Black
    Very nice. I have a DC56. I've never seen another Damasko in the wild.