closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The PRS-68 “Seiko” challenge..

The PRS-68 “Seiko” challenge..

Ok, so there has been a few threads started over different forums questioning the compatibility of Genuine and aftermarket bezel inserts fitting the Smiths PRS-68.

To cut a long story short: The original insert in my PRS-68 is scratched.. Not too badly, as the image below doesn’t evenpick them up, but they are there, and are enough to bug me:

I phoned our wonderful host Eddie last week about ordering a replacement. Unfortunately (for me.) Eddie’s nephew very kindly tidied up his office the other week and the new location of the spare inserts that Eddie has on stock is yet to be re-located by Eddie.

So, I did a little research and read the threads debating the compatibility of the Seiko inserts, even though none of them actually confirmed that a Seiko Insert would fit, the comments along with the dimensions quoted on the drawings and the crude measurements I made with a steel rule, convinced me that they would fit.. So Wednesday night I ordered a Genuine a Seiko SKX007 insert from a seller on EBay..

The seller messaged me instantly and confirmed that the insert will be with me (Today.) Friday.

Getting all excited about freshening up my 68 and wanting to do the job properly, yesterday evening I looked into the safest way to remove the bezel and replace the insert. There were many different ways and techniques mentioned, but I settled for removing the bezel with a sharp blade.

So I wrapped some tape around the blade of my No 6 Opinel and very carefully prized off the bezel.

The bezel popped off with little effort and the case was unmarked.. Great success!

Removing the insert was also quite easy, but the glue residue left on the bezel was a little harder to remove.. I tried using a wooden cocktail stick but it was just too sticky, so I soaked the bezel in boiling soapy water for 5 minuets, the glue then came off with very little effort.

I then popped the bezel back on the watch as getting the insert alignment correct is much easier with the bezel fitted to the watch.

I then put the watch in the box and strapped on my 17Q for today’s duty’s:

Lucky I get to finish work early on Fridays and got home around 4pm this evening.

There was a package waiting for me and inside was the SKX insert.

Before evening making myself a beverage, I raced upstairs and removed the 68 from it’s Pelicase, and took the backing off the pre-applied double sided tape ring on the insert:

I then placed the insert on bezel and lined the bezel pip up with the 12 o’clock indice.

Pressed down and well, horror.. it didn’t fit!

I can now confirm to you all that the Seiko Inserts ARE NOT a drop in replacement for the PRS-68 the outer perimeter is about 0.3mm too big

But, being very persistent and not being one to quit easily I took up a challenge, the challenge was of course to make it fit.

So I removed the bezel again using the same method as I mentioned above.

Well, it wasn’t an easy challenge, the insert is 0f course circular, only 0.8 millimetres thick and made of aluminium.. So I knew that I had to take my time..

All I had to hand was some 1200 grit wet and and dry. So after a quick vape and a good think, I decided to place the original bezel over the Seiko replacement and carefully remove the excess on the outer perimeter of the insert with the 1200 grit.

Well, something that I thought would take around 20 minuets, actually took over 2 hours of very careful sanding!

And here is the finished result:

Ta-daa!

I’m rather pleased with the result and as much as I like the original gloss insert, I’m really liking the Matt colour of the SKX insert.

So, if your ever decide to replace your 68 insert with a Seiko replacement, yes it can be done, but it needs some persuasion..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by senraw; 20th April 2018 at 19:35.

Excellent result. I was hoping that it didn't fit and the Smiths was off to SC

If you ever need to remove anything sticky, buy a tin of lighter fuel. Back in the 70s and 80s any self respecting rare record shop had a tin on the counter, great for removing stickers of all types. I always have a tin in the house.

Master
    Well done! A bit of thought, time and perseverance. Out of interest, can you fit the old lume dot to the new bezel insert?

Dave

Thanks guy's. 😀

As regard to the bezel pip, it's a no go I'm afraid.. But I think I actually prefer the recessed pip, it really blends in nicely.

Master
    I like that. I think it's a big improvement over the original IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    If you ever need to remove anything sticky, buy a tin of lighter fuel. Back in the 70s and 80s any self respecting rare record shop had a tin on the counter, great for removing stickers of all types. I always have a tin in the house.
    Excellent suggestion, didn't think of that, I'm sure that would break it down rather rapidly. My wife suggested using oil, apparently any oil will break it down quickly too.
    Last edited by senraw; 20th April 2018 at 21:12.

Master
    I probably could have turned that down on the lathe for you in a few seconds.

Now fitted to the supplied rubber, for that retro look!

The PRS-68 “Seiko” challenge..

Quote Originally Posted by EchoSevenNine View Post
    I probably could have turned that down on the lathe for you in a few seconds.
    Argh.. Too late now, didn’t think of that.

Master

It actually looks a lot nicer with the recessed pip, less like the eBay specials.

Fantastic job ( I'd have got crazy and ballsed it up) and it looks great perhaps even better -dare I say- than new.
    Joe

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app