closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PSA: A summary of sunscreen for those out and about this wekend

Master
    Blog Entries

PSA: A summary of sunscreen for those out and about this wekend

Found this information today, which with sun about and people looking forward to the summer is worth passing on:

Sun Protection:

SPF is the most commonly known metric, and is a measure of how much UVB is blocked.
    However, the scale isn't linear. SPF50 doesn't block twice as much as SPF25. SPF15 blocks about 93% of UVB. SPF30 blocks 97% SPF50 about 98%.

Basically SPF30 is the highest you usually need because any increase in protection above that is minimal.

HOWEVER, there are also the Star Ratings which people often don't know about.The star rating is a measure of how much UVA is blocked relative to the UVB blocking and is roughly a quintile range rating.

UVB causes burning but UVA causes the carcinogenic damage.

So a 3 Star cream blocks about 60% the amount of UVA as it does UVB.
    An SPF50 with a 1 Star rating would offer little protection against UVA while a SPF15 with 5 stars may be offering more.

So to protect yourself from both UVA and UVB, you want at least an 4 or 5 Star SPF30.
    This will block at least 90% of UVA as well as UVB.

Beware of statements like "Advanced UVA UVB protection" which is basically meaningless technobabble (some VERY well known names are guilty of this). Always go with the ones that give you their actual numbers, regardless of price or brand. Once you have the numbers right then you can if you wish pay for formulations that offer better water resistance or a less oily "feel"
    Last edited by Scepticalist; 20th April 2018 at 19:07.

Thanks-useful to know about the star ratings......
    I’ll consider myself educated

PSA: A summary of sunscreen for those out and about this wekend

Not sure about scale not being linear. SPF 15 means 1/15 of burning radiation reaches the skin.

Also, both UVB and UVA are responsible for skin cancer (UVB especially melanoma).
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 22nd April 2018 at 03:00.

Interesting, even for someone who never uses protection from the sun, unless already burnt and have to be out in it.

Now you tell me!

In Florida at the moment, staying in the shade.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Wish I’d have used some on Friday...

Journeyman
    Factor 50 is the ONLY way to go. This was adopted as the new standard in Aus and NZ in 2012.
    I see way too many skin cancers for my liking and, sadly, this is showing no signs of changing.
    Keep your skin pristine and well protected from the sun.
    Last edited by DrDunc; 21st April 2018 at 17:43.

During the Australia leg of our trip I noticed that they seem to only sell factor 50, relatives told us the lower stuff was withdrawn from sale some time ago. Down under, 1 in 3 people will have some form of skin cancer by the age of 70.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    I've been to Australia twice in Jan 2017 (mid summer) & Feb 2018 (end of summer).
    Every sunscreen that I saw out there had no more than 4 stars on their sunscreen, I personally brought my own sunscreen (SPF30) from the UK which as far as I know only Boots and Superdrugs own brand (Soltan & Solait) had 5 stars.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Down under, 1 in 3 people will have some form of skin cancer by the age of 70.
    Actually it’s about double that, about a 70% lifetime risk if born in Aus.

Grand Master
    Dont think I have ever worn suncream
    RIAC

TBH thought this was a joke thread at first in response to the one about leaving dogs in cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Interesting, even for someone who never uses protection from the sun, unless already burnt and have to be out in it.
    You probably already know this but you really should wear a F50 or at least a F30 even in this country. Any burn is skin damage and therefore dangerous and potentially life threatening.

Master
    Real interesting information, where did you source it from.
    Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fun fact 1: Zinc oxide is a key ingredient in sunscreens that helps stop UV from the sun reaching your skin and causing cancer which it does by reacting with UV light to produce free radicals which ironically cause cancer.

Fun fact 2: Observational studies have repeatedly found sunscreen use to be associated with higher risk of cutaneous melanoma and basal cell skin cancer.
    Last edited by Groundrush; 22nd April 2018 at 16:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    Fun fact 1: Zinc oxide is a key ingredient in sunscreens that helps stop UV from the sun reaching your skin and causing cancer which it does by reacting with UV light to produce free radicals which ironically cause cancer.

Fun fact 2: Observational studies have repeatedly found sunscreen use to be associated with higher risk of cutaneous melanoma and basal cell skin cancer.

Both of these 'facts' appear on a 'myths about sunscreen and cancer' page:

https://www.cancerwa.asn.au/resource...n-cancer-myth/

I can believe Fact 2.

People using sunscreen spend more time in sun, maybe using inadequate sunscreen, thinking they’re protected when they’re not.

Rarely leave the house without at least an SPF15 4* moisturiser on but that's mainly because I want to keep my skin beautiful for as many years as possible than it is anything to do with cancer or burning!