closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fallen out of love with speedy pro

Craftsman

Fallen out of love with speedy pro

Wanted one for a good few years and got round to buying a new one approx 18 months ago.

I thought I would love the hesalite, inncluding that it’s different to my other watches which all have sapphire.

However, I find it a bit, well... underwhelming , sadly. Being “plastic” it’s much lighter than sapphire, which makes the watch feel a bit flimsy.

The face, being plain white on Matt black, I know is the iconic chrono, which again I thought I would love, but find rather underwhelming yet again.

I like the look of the bracelet (my fave of omega’s line up) but find it a bit rattly.

I know the speedy is widely loved, Huge history etc and I’m really disappointed not to like it, but it just doesn’t feel particularly “special” to me. I am sure many will disagree. It’s a fine watch, but ultimately boils down to what we like personally...

I’m thinking probably keep it another year or so to see if it grows on me??

Anyone had similar disappointment with the speedy pro?

If I decide to sell it, anyone clued up on second hand values? Ie am I likely to get much less for a 2 or 3 yr old speedy than currently, or do they retain approx current value for a few years after the initial hit??

Many thanks

To paraphrase Johnson, a man tired of the Speedy Pro is a man tired of life.

Speedy Pro flimsy?! Well that’s a first 😳

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by D4RW1N View Post
    Wanted one for a good few years and got round to buying a new one approx 18 months ago.

I thought I would love the hesalite, inncluding that it’s different to my other watches which all have sapphire.

However, I find it a bit, well... underwhelming , sadly. Being “plastic” it’s much lighter than sapphire, which makes the watch feel a bit flimsy.

The face, being plain white on Matt black, I know is the iconic chrono, which again I thought I would love, but find rather underwhelming yet again.

I like the look of the bracelet (my fave of omega’s line up) but find it a bit rattly.

I know the speedy is widely loved, Huge history etc and I’m really disappointed not to like it, but it just doesn’t feel particularly “special” to me. I am sure many will disagree. It’s a fine watch, but ultimately boils down to what we like personally...

I’m thinking probably keep it another year or so to see if it grows on me??

Anyone had similar disappointment with the speedy pro?

If I decide to sell it, anyone clued up on second hand values? Ie am I likely to get much less for a 2 or 3 yr old speedy than currently, or do they retain approx current value for a few years after the initial hit??

Many thanks
    If you want out then sell up and move on but the depreciation on those is glacial and fairly strange. They drop to about £2500 the second they leave the shop then drop about £100 a year for a couple of years until they hit about £2200 and from then on it is all about condition really, even a knackered one seems to make over £1,800 so I would say you haven't a lot to lose in holding on and indeed with the fuss about the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 landing next year, prices may even firm from here, but that is obviously pure speculation.

I felt that as part of my watch collecting journey I should really try a Speedmaster at some point. Around 3 years ago I did a trade and acquired an uncommon and rather lovely Speedmaster Professional - the limited edition Gemini 4. I really liked it... but I gradually realised I didn’t love it. I persevered for quite a while - it was my ‘best blue’ watch for about a year, and I wore it in rotation quite happily... but I still didn’t love it .

In the end I sold it to fund the purchase of a Breitling Navitimer World. Now, that I love...

I don’t miss the Speedmaster and wouldn’t buy another - although I’m glad I’ve had one on the journey.

Simon

That’s interesting... it is a watch I have resisted but always felt I should have... arguably omegas most iconic watch and all that. I have ‘nearly’ committed to various Speedmasters over the years but always backed off but can’t really say why?

I almost don’t feel as though I can say that I have had a true collection until I have owned one and have never really heard much in the way of negatives, that said they are available so I guess some others must feel the same

More to think about me thinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had wanted one for so long and when I finally got when, well it was OK but not the exit watch I had been expecting.

Perhaps I had built it up too much in my mind. Anyway, I sold it on not because I disliked it but as I was a bit short. I just didnt love it enough to hang on to it all costs. I doubt that I would buy another.

My abiding obsession has been with the 1016 anyway, though I doubt I will ever be able to afford one...............

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I really liked it... but I gradually realised I didn’t love it. I persevered for quite a while - it was my ‘best blue’ watch for about a year, and I wore it in rotation quite happily... but I still didn’t love it .
    This pretty much sums up where I am. At least I’m not on my own😀

Just been to get it out of the safe to wear for the weekend - give it chance to grow on me...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    If you want out then sell up and move on but the depreciation on those is glacial and fairly strange. They drop to about £2500 the second they leave the shop then drop about £100 a year for a couple of years until they hit about £2200 and from then on it is all about condition really, even a knackered one seems to make over £1,800 so I would say you haven't a lot to lose in holding on and indeed with the fuss about the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 landing next year, prices may even firm from here, but that is obviously pure speculation.
    Thanks, i suspected this might be the case and I don’t mind a couple of hundred cost to hold on to it for another year or so, all other things being equal.

I got a reasonable discount and it was before the last price rise a year or so back, so the initial hit is less painful than it could be!

I think the moral here is buy what YOU like, not what the watch world class as a must have. I'm not that keen on most of the most popular watches on the forum, pretty sure I wouldn't be thrilled with them if I went and bought them. Most of my favourite watches most folk here wouldn't give a poop for, part of the luck that we all have different taste as at least there is still the odd bargain out there for me.

Sounds as though you should move the Speedy on, with that money you can buy something you genuinely love I should think.

Good luck.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    I think the moral here is buy what YOU like, not what the watch world class as a must have.

Sounds as though you should move the Speedy on, with that money you can buy something you genuinely love I should think.

Good luck.
    Agreed on point 1 above. In hindsight, I bought the history, plus the modern iteration of the design still closely reflecting the original from decades earlier. In reality, I think I have found I like the watch less so...

I’d really love the new Pepsi gmt, along with virtually everyone else, so not expecting to get one of these anytime soon. I’ll hang on to the speedy for a while longer as there’s nothing else I’m lusting after currently.

I know how you feel.

I bought mine out of a sense of duty,(and because of Ryan's discount) and of course you can't be a real WIS unless you've owned one at some point. It's an icon, and in the mad mad world of luxury watches, it's actually good value, even close to retail. I respect it, immensely, but I don't love it. It sits in the box, and comes out on high days and holidays. It's last outing was 2 months ago on a weekend away at a Michelin starred place, so I felt it should be allowed to play out. I wear my Explorer II much more, and although maybe I'm blinded by new love, the Aerospace makes me smile more. I won't sell it, but rather like my Sub, it's an icon I own but rarely wear. I saw the Calibre 11 Monaco on the Friday thread and thought, not for the first time, I should have been brave, rather than conventional.

Dave
    Last edited by helidoc; 20th April 2018 at 20:42.

Craftsman
    Got to agree with OP, was my next watch and nearly bought one without seeing it in the wild.
    Glad I didn't as when I tried one on in AD (nose dive springs to mind!) Was just not what I was expecting, don't even know why but was not for me!

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Well, they do say "Never meet your hero”............

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    I know how you feel.

I bought mine out of a sense of duty,(and because of Ryan's discount) and of course you can't be a real WIS unless you've owned one at some point. It's an icon, and in the mad mad world of luxury watches, it's actually good value, even close to retail. I respect it, immensely, but I don't love it. It sits in the box, and comes out on high days and holidays. It's last outing was 2 months ago on a weekend away at a Michelin starred place, so I felt it should be allowed to play out. I wear my Explorer II much more, and although maybe I'm blinded by new love, the Aerospace makes me smile more. I won't sell it, but rather like my Sub, it's an icon I own but rarely wear. I saw the Calibre 11 Monaco on the Friday thread and thought, not for the first time, I should have been brave, rather than conventional.

Dave
    At least I can consider myself a true WIS now, though I never set out to be one😀

Interestingly, the first chronograph I lusted after, c10 years ago was a TAG Heuer Carrera, but I eventually opted for the horological superior speedy. Live and learn!

Bought & Sold 3 times, it looks lot better on photos than flesh....I currently have CK2998-61 being serviced by my watchmaker so I guess you never know..

Craftsman
    More or less in the same position as the OP, its an iconic watch but I just don't love it in the way I love my other watches. Not entirely sure what I'll do next, but I like the idea of owning a Speedmaster variation later on with the Co-Axial movement.

Master
    Still enjoying mine after buying it 12 months ago, but I did buy it as I liked the look rather than it's iconicness, and I'm not into Space or the moon either.
    20180420_212150.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by D4RW1N View Post
    It's a shame it doesn't meet your expectations, perhaps after reading the Internet hype it's a tough ask. It's not a particularly "special" watch. But that's part of its charm.

It's relatively basic, very legible, well sized, well made and at a time was well priced. At around £2k it's a perfect watch, pushing 3-4k I can understand that it's not special enough.

My first was subject to some poor QC and I sold it. My second was bought 2nd hand on SC and has been a treasure since. I do understand people not liking it or being disappointed with it, as Chris says, at RRP which has risen unreasonably in recent years, over-stretching most peoples' expectations. If you can find one at a good price, it's a great watch with genuine historic significance. It's also possibly the most versatile watch there is.

Still loving mine (sapphire sandwich - so not for purists!), but, no, there really is no must-have watch despite all the watch journos pushing their latest loaner Rolex (or whatever). We're all individuals with our own likes, dislikes, loves and hates - I'm told that some even like Hublots !! (lol)

I think they look fantastic when I see someone wearing but I never could love the one I owned and it went pretty quick.

If you’re in doubt now, just get rid.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    I think they look fantastic when I see someone wearing but I never could love the one I owned and it went pretty quick.

If you’re in doubt now, just get rid.
    Yes they are a watch that can turn a tidy profit. I can imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Yes they are a watch that can turn a tidy profit. I can imagine.
    Good luck with that.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Im aware that they're one of the nerd "must haves" but I've always found them remarkably underwhelming.

Didn't enjoy the 3570-50 I bought (new, under £1000...must have been a while ago) so it was sold and replaced with a 3573-50 (new, about £1250 at the time) which I still own and can't see myself letting go. Either version, or the modern (hand-wind, not co-axial please) equivalents, are excellent and classless watches, designed beautifully right down to the triangle of text on the dial. Not lacking class, just classless. Like the original Mini. A rare Omega that has yet to be tinkered with or ruined modernised. I would be happy with one as an only watch. Go elsewhere for flash and show though. Like the Mini, this is not a watch to signal your arrival. Which can be a disappointment, or a relief, depending on the owner.

I "wanted" one for ages..

Couldnt "afford" one, so I bought a reduced one..

Decided it looked too small on me. Flipped that one.

I finally got a 3750 last year. Its from 2006...probably (well not probably!! I DID) pay too much for it...but I love it!

It came on a bracelet....great bracelets, really comfy etc etc...I got a "Pav- strap", made for it....job done!! It was my favourite watch! Ive recently bought a Tag Heuer Monaco (another so called "grail" watch I wanted!)...so the Tag , is my "favourite" watch....but I think I can honestly say. the speedy will be a keeper.

Looks great on the bracelet, looks great on leather.......( I dont "get"!!! N.A.T.O.s or rubber!), though they look great on them too...........just not on my wrist!

Craftsman
    I love the Speedy on photos and was thinking for a long time that I should get one because every WIS needs one. But my collection is almost exclusively Divers so I can't see myself wearing a watch with only 30m WR. Maybe I will still get one in the future.

Apprentice
    Maybe try the Speedmaster on a strap. The Di-Modell Rallye is a great choice and cheap.
    Last edited by Vercingetorix; 21st April 2018 at 00:58.

Master
    I think a speedy pro on a modern bracelet is rather weighty. It’s 80% the watch my Daytona is at approximately 30% of the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    I think a speedy pro on a modern bracelet is rather weighty. It’s 80% the watch my Daytona is at approximately 30% of the cost.
    That’s a telling comment to me, because I find the Daytona every bit as underwhelming as the Speedmaster Pro...

Simon

Master
    Blog Entries
    I love mine and it would probably be the last one to sell if it came to it. I do however think pricing us becoming too optimistic on them by Omega.
    I know they're still at the cheap end of their range but justifiably so as the flipside of it being a classic is that the build quality doesn't feel as good as even newer Omegas let alone competitor's offerings. I think that's one reason the Speedy Tuesday never felt to me as if it was worth the premium.

Master
    I had one of the last tritium dial Speedmaster Professionals with a lovely vanilla lume.
    In my desperation to buy the next watch (polar Explorer II) I sold it to a friend for a giveaway price. A couple of months later I saw the error I’d made but it took a couple of years to find a similar one at a price I was willing to pay. I’m wearing it now and can’t see myself letting it go, unless I decide to cash out the entire collection bar one.

I do prefer older ones. Tritium dial and plexy is to me a better look than the white luminova & sapphire.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by NickRed71; 20th April 2018 at 23:58.

The regular Speedmaster moonwatch was my first expensive (i.e. 4-figure) watch back in 2012. I loved it then and I love it now. But, in between there have been times when the love has waned a little and I've not worn it much. But then suddenly I'll look at it again in the watch box one morning and it will grab me and I'll see it in a different way and the love returns. Sometimes this is triggered by trying it on a different strap. Moonwatches seem to have an uncanny knack of looking great on almost any strap, so there are lots of different looks to play with. But I normally go back to the bracelet in the end.

Despite the ups and downs I can't see me selling it - unless a more alluring Speedmaster comes along to replace it.

Craftsman
    I’ve only had mine a few weeks after wanting it for ages but I’m still loving it! It is my first expensive watch but I really enjoy wearing it and all the little elements like have winding and the noise of the movement when you listen

Luckily we don’t all like the same watches or this would be a very boring place.

Next to that a few watches are darlings of the watch community like the 007, speedy and sub. These are raved about even more. This somewhat increases the chance of disappointment as well.

I see the same with movies. If I suggest movies to friends and rave about them they are likely to come back to me and be a bit disappointed. If I just tell them “you might like this or that movie” they are more likely to respond they really liked it.

Journeyman
    Was in the same position as well. Always thought the Speedie was a nice watch with great history but never thought about adding to the collection. Then got caught up in all the love on here and ending up buying the sapphire sandwhich, wore it sparingly and even bought some different straps but it never really gelled so moved it in fairly quickly. Like others have said you need to buy a watch because you like it!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    This thread demonstrates a major problem of collecting. Buying a particular model just to enhance a collection or because of what it is, is all very fine but you are not buying it for the best reason, that being because you love it.

I bought a Zenith Daytona because of the hype and it is now the least liked watch I got because I could not gel with it. I shall keep it because it is a unique watch but the love is just not there.

The golden rule is only buy what you really like.

Proves that not every watch is for everyone.

I don't get the unalloyed love for all things Rolex, personally, but neither I nor Rolex are bothered

I really like my Speedmaster (It's on a DiModell Rallye strap), but I don't believe ANY watch suits everyone.

I never fail to be surprised, though,that so many people feel the need to buy a watch to realise they don't really like it that much!

M

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I never fail to be surprised, though,that so many people feel the need to buy a watch to realise they don't really like it that much!

M
    Ohh that part is easy to explain.

Courtship (research, picture drooling, review watching) - marriage (purchase and wear for a while) - divorce. (noooope) ;)

Watch buying imo takes the same path as relationships. Divorce lawyers are busy people.

Maybe it's me.

I tend to get instant attraction, quickly followed by declining interest.

I won't pretend I've never bought a watch that I subsequently found a disappointment, but I wouldn't spend 3 grand on anything without a lot of thought, personally, and, for me, that's usually plenty for that first flush of romance to pass

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Proves that not every watch is for everyone.

I don't get the unalloyed love for all things Rolex, personally, but neither I nor Rolex are bothered

I really like my Speedmaster (It's on a DiModell Rallye strap), but I don't believe ANY watch suits everyone.

M
    Unalloyed?

Had to look that up, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Unalloyed?

Had to look that up, thanks!
    My pleasure :)

It's funny how words can sometimes pass you by.

I recall someone mentioning Pedagogy once (in my mid 30s) and I had no idea what it was.

Everyone else in the room knew exactly what it was, but I'd never heard the word in my life! :)

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Love my Speedie Pro although I recognise - especially in some lighting - it can look pretty pedestrian. But I keep things fresh by alternating between bracelet and brown strap.

I was torn between the speedy and the SMPc, and when I finally got to try both on I was utterly underwhelmed by the speedmaster so went with the seamaster, still want a speedy though!

I am in the camp that thinks it looks better in photos, tried one on recently and it's not as impressive on my own wrist for whatever reason, looked smaller than I thought it would too. The dial markers and hands are slimmer than I thought they would be, I think photos make it look bigger than it appears in real life.
    It was the watch I aspired to (apart from a Rolex, but I can't afford Rolex prices) but not so sure now. I am still very happy with my Bond SMP and find it a more interesting watch to look at. It's all just subjective at the end of the day anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Speedy Pro flimsy?! Well that’s a first 😳
    The watch head is surprisingly light.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    I would sell it. It seems pretty clear from your comments that it hasn't lived up to expectations. And that's a lot of money to have tied up in the watch that you MAY like someday. The positive view is that you tried it and now you know.

For years I chased Rolex Subs because it was the watch to have. It took me buying and selling several over the years to discover, meh, not really that special for me.

On the other hand, it took buying the Speedy Pro three times (and selling twice) for me to finally realize that it's pretty much the perfect watch for me. I love it, and now when I look at other watches and compare them to the Speedy, they always fall short.

To each their own.

Craftsman
    I must admit to not really loving mine anymore and barely ever wear it since aquiring a Bremont alt1-z and I've always hated big fat watches but it's mostly all I wear now save a few.

Trouble is my speedy has a pulsometer bezel and I have no idea what sort of price it should be sold for.

Craftsman
    I think the problem is with omegas general pricing. They've pushed up the price along with other models. Pity it's not a longines speedmaster or tissot speedmaster :)
    Happy I got a used one a few years back, plan to keep it, but wouldn't pay €4,400 for a new one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk