closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fallen out of love with speedy pro

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    I think the problem is with omegas general pricing. They've pushed up the price along with other models. Pity it's not a longines speedmaster or tissot speedmaster :)
    Happy I got a used one a few years back, plan to keep it, but wouldn't pay €4,400 for a new one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The two most iconic watches must be the Rolex Submariner and the Moonwatch.

Only one of them is half the price, or less, of the other one...
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post

I am fortunate to have both. Part of my criteria was that each of my relatively small “collection” should be iconic, plus be as versatile as possible.

The sub I love, the speedy I do like, just less so I guess.

I’ve worn the speedy all weekend now so it is getting wrist time. I think in the absence of anything else I want to buy right now, I’m going to keep hold of it for now.

Preparing for a lengthy wait to add a Pepsi gmt to my little collection of icons!! Then will review again (or possibly before if the wait proves too long)!!

I ve tried on several pro's but never fell in love.

However a couple of years ago I tried a friends 105.003-65 Ed White with a 321.
    39 mm. and wonderful, I really love that one.

Master
    I don't have a Speedie Pro at the moment, although I've owned several....four in all. Of course it's not perfect. No watch ever is, but overall , taking design, looks and history into account, it deserves it's special status. When asked....which I occasionally am....which is the best 'one watch', I suggest the Speedie.
    For around £3000 there's no real competition (is there?)
    Last edited by paskinner; 22nd April 2018 at 16:51.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I don't have a Speedie Pro at the moment, although I've owned several....four in all. Of course it's not perfect. No watch ever is, but overall , taking design, looks and history into account, it deserves it's special status. When asked....which I occasionally am....which is the best 'one watch', I suggest the Speedie.
    For around £3000 there's no real competition (is there?)

Is it relatively easy to get it for £3000 from an AD? I absolutely subscribe to all the reasons why it's a great watch but at RRRP it just seems a bit overpriced.

Craftsman
    Really agree OP, and excellent timing, I’ve literally just been having these thoughts in the last week.

It is a lovely watch (though I’m another sapphire sandwich) and while I initially had doubts on the bracelet, changing to leather made it for me. However, since getting my navitimer last summer I always seem to reach for that and my feelings towards speedy are increasingly guilt! Like many on here, I like it a lot, but I love my other watches.

I went for it because I wanted something new and it was an icon that was a lot more affordable than most. Now I’ve bought a few second hand, I’m over that need for newness!

We’ll see!

Master
    While I have had at least 30 Speedmaster Pros over the past 14 years, since I bought my first one new in 2004 (from a reseller for £860) I can understand the OP's feeling about the new one on its bracelet. I currently have a '68 Transitional and a minty (2014), both on straps. I would readily swap my mint one for an early '70s in decent, used condition. I only bought the 2014 because it was offered to me via a WTB post, when I was really looking for a '70s watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The endless variations has put me off the speedmaster completely

Craftsman
    The design is old fashioned and it dosent feel that luxurus as a seamaster i think, and i have both watches.
    Still it's a great watch and you have the change to mod it if you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallang View Post
    Is it relatively easy to get it for £3000 from an AD? I absolutely subscribe to all the reasons why it's a great watch but at RRRP it just seems a bit overpriced.
    Yes, try Iconic, watch Obsession, or an accommodating AD, which is how I got mine. I don't think an AD is vital for this model, the guarantee through Omega (Swatch in Southampton) will be there anyway.
    This is the standard, hexalite, model. No real need to pay anything like retail.
    Last edited by paskinner; 23rd April 2018 at 14:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post

Every collection needs a submariner and a speedy pro.

Master
    Well, for me, on that strap, the Speedie is the better looking, by quite a margin. It just begs for a good strap, more so than most watches. Just love that suede strap.
    Sadly, I no longer own either. So, null points in the credibility stakes.
    Last edited by paskinner; 23rd April 2018 at 14:27.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
    The design is old fashioned and it dosent feel that luxurus as a seamaster i think, and i have both watches.
    Still it's a great watch and you have the change to mod it if you want

Don't think it was ever designed to be luxurious and as the original design is 50+ years old you could maybe call it old fashioned although
    think that's the wrong phrase. They havent been making the same model of seamaster for the same period although if they did make a new
    version of the 60's 300m I'd be the first in the queue, I havent really liked any seamasters since the 2254 style. the odd Planet Ocean maybe.
    I'd have one of these if they made one as well

But if you want a luxurious modern watch you are looking at the wrong watch.

Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    Don't think it was ever designed to be luxurious and as the original design is 50+ years old you could maybe call it old fashioned although
    think that's the wrong phrase. They havent been making the same model of seamaster for the same period although if they did make a new
    version of the 60's 300m I'd be the first in the queue, I havent really liked any seamasters since the 2254 style. the odd Planet Ocean maybe.
    I'd have one of these if they made one as well

Count me in too... that would be a great watch to have.

although if they did make a new
    version of the 60's 300m I'd be the first in the queue,

Errr they have?!

https://www.omegawatches.com/watches/specialities/the-1957-trilogy/product

Fair enough, we all like different things.

No doubt if you're used to sapphire crystal*, ceramic dials/bezel inserts, bright colours & white gold etc. hands/indices, then the Moonwatch version might come across as a little less flashy/substantial, I totally understand that. (*Yes, I'm aware of the 'sapphire sandwich' version).

But I think it's wrong to call it pedestrian or old-fashioned in design. The design may be old, but it works, and even forgetting all the NASA stuff, it's a design that's both beautifully uncluttered in execution & supremely functional. For me design is either good or bad, that's all that matters.

As to charm, I think it has bucketloads - the dial-distorting effect & warmth of the hesalite crystal, the eggshell texture & subtle curvatures of the dial, the hippocampus engraving, the perfect symmetry of the logo & sub-dials, the ability to take a wide range of straps etc. etc.

But either it gets you in your gut or it doesn't, each to their own.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Keep up at the back. That is a version of the original 1950s SM300. The later 60s SM300 is rather different and loses the skinny bezel, straight lugs etc. This is a typical 60s SM300 (not mine sadly):

Last edited by Padders; 23rd April 2018 at 16:51.

Errr they have?!
    Well if they have Ive never seen one, 1960s SM 300 not 1950s

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Keep up at the back. That is a version of the original 1950s SM300. The later 60s SM300 is rather different and loses the skinny bezel, straight lugs etc. This is a typical 60s SM300:

Someone was knocking NOS versions of this. As it happens the 57 is a far nicer watch IMO.

Someone was knocking NOS versions of this. As it happens the 57 is a far nicer watch IMO.
    Watchco, they were put together using new parts until Omega caught on and stopped
    their parts account.

At least they got the bracelet right on the 57 version but personally still not a fan of the split bezel
    or the Lume colour

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    Every collection needs a submariner and a speedy pro.
    No. It doesn’t. Each to their own.

Simon

Grand Master
    Watchco, they were put together using new parts until Omega caught on and stopped
    their parts account.
    NO!......... totally untrue.

Omega stopped supplying all wholesalers in 2015 and Watchco were affected, just like all the rest (Offrei, Cousins, Gleaves etc). Nothing to do with the fact that Watchco were producing watches from parts. STS were doing exactly the same in the UK and they are still supplied with parts because they're an Omega accredited repairer.

I`ve built a couple of Seamaster 300s myself from parts, in hindsight I should've built a few more. Despite my love of vintage Omegas it's a watch I`ve no urge to own but I do see the appeal. Way too expensive thesedays IMO.

Paul

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    No. It doesn’t. Each to their own.

Simon
    +1......I own a Speedy Reduced because I prefer the size, I`ve owned a Sub and don`t miss it. There's more to watch collecting than Divers and chronographs, though I admit these two are two of the best to own if that's your thing.

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    NO!......... totally untrue.

Omega stopped supplying all wholesalers in 2015 and Watchco were affected, just like all the rest (Offrei, Cousins, Gleaves etc). Nothing to do with the fact that Watchco were producing watches from parts. STS were doing exactly the same in the UK and they are still supplied with parts because they're an Omega accredited repairer.

I`ve built a couple of Seamaster 300s myself from parts, in hindsight I should've built a few more. Despite my love of vintage Omegas it's a watch I`ve no urge to own but I do see the appeal. Way too expensive thesedays IMO.

Paul
    Not totally untrue though. I have heard it said that Corporate Omega got shirty with Watchco years before the general cessation of parts sales to resellers and was a factor in them going out of business. Indeed it could well have been the Watchco situation which prompted Omega to consider the parts limitations in the first place. Indirect competition isn't something any watch house would like after all.
    Last edited by Padders; 23rd April 2018 at 17:57.

Not totally untrue though. I have heard it said that Corporate Omega got shirty with Watchco years before the general cessation of parts sales to resellers and was a factor in them going out of business. Indeed it could well have been the Watchco situation which prompted Omega to consider the parts limitations in the first place. Indirect competition isn't something any watch house would like after all.
    Yep, not fact but think this kicked off because a Watchco one was seized by German customs
    as being a fake and prompted a whole bunch of people contacting Omega worried about theirs.
    Prior to this they had been happy to service them.
    They are still operating but from NZ, can’t remember their eBay name.

Master
    Yep, not fact but think this kicked off because a Watchco one was seized by German customs
    as being a fake and prompted a whole bunch of people contacting Omega worried about theirs.
    Prior to this they had been happy to service them.
    They are still operating but from NZ, can’t remember their eBay name.
    abouttime-ch

abouttime-ch
    Thanks, don’t think they sell complete watches on EBay but understand they
    are still supplying watches to some people when they have the parts.

Master
    Thanks, don’t think they sell complete watches on EBay but understand they
    are still supplying watches to some people when they have the parts.
    They sold a batch of made up Watchcos a few months ago. They made strong money, around £2.5K each and that is before the import duties you would pay to bring them into the UK meaning a landed one would be over £3K. Can't recall if they included a 1171 bracelet or not.

I’ve had 3 previous Speedy Pros before I got my current one.

I always liked them but as I generally try and keep a smallish collection I flipped my older ones to purchase other watches I wanted to try.

But more recently I had a 60th anniversary Speedy but realised the faux aged look was annoying me after a while. So decided to go back to the original Speedy Pro as it is timeless and for me the perfect chrono dial. I love the vintage looks and I don’t expect to ever sell this one. It just took me a while to come to that conclusion. I’ve spotted a few in the wild recently and they always look great on other wrists. Really made me appreciate them even more.

With the BLNR and the Speedy I could happily give up this watch malarkey and be very happy.

+1......I own a Speedy Reduced because I prefer the size, I`ve owned a Sub and don`t miss it. There's more to watch collecting than Divers and chronographs, though I admit these two are two of the best to own if that's your thing.

Paul
    I owned Speedy Reduced, but given the notorious unreliability of those I got rid of it eventually, I feel like if Speedy Pro is too big for you, CK2998 / FOIS might be an answer getting all you need in 39mm with reliable 861.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Exiztence View Post
    I owned Speedy Reduced, but given the notorious unreliability of those I got rid of it eventually, I feel like if Speedy Pro is too big for you, CK2998 / FOIS might be an answer getting all you need in 39mm with reliable 861.
    I agree with you. I have a really small wrist, and my regular cased Speedy Pro is just a bit too large. Mostly due to the extra bulk from the intregrated crown gaurds. I'm sure the FOIS case would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    I agree with you. I have a really small wrist, and my regular cased Speedy Pro is just a bit too large. Mostly due to the extra bulk from the intregrated crown gaurds. I'm sure the FOIS case would be great.
    I feel like 2998 sits better on wrist, but probably because I have small wrists..
    Last edited by Exiztence; 25th April 2018 at 14:20.

Master
    I feel like 2998 sits better on wrist, but probably because I have small wrists..
    For me it's the regular bracelet that's a problem. The end links stick out really far. Iysuch better on a strap.

Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    For me it's the regular bracelet that's a problem. The end links stick out really far. Iysuch better on a strap.
    That is a good point the endlinks on latest bracelet are rather long I believe Its not an issue on vintage ones.

Grand Master
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Speedy Reduced movement, I`ve owned one for 14 years and also worked on a couple. I can`t see anything wrong with the design of the chrono module, it's a bit complex but I don`t think the design has flaws. I think the reputation for problems is ill-founded. They have to be assembled carefully and that includes mating the chrono module back onto the base movement, but none of it is rocket science and the tech service manuals are available on the internet. They don`t like clumsy handling whilst being worked on, but that goes for lots of other movements too.

My only criticism is the 30 second lag when setting the minute hand, that's simply due to the indirect drive of the hands and the backlash where the teeth mesh, but it does make setting the watch exactly a bigger challenge than it should be.

Paul

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Speedy Reduced movement, I`ve owned one for 14 years and also worked on a couple. I can`t see anything wrong with the design of the chrono module, it's a bit complex but I don`t think the design has flaws. I think the reputation for problems is ill-founded. They have to be assembled carefully and that includes mating the chrono module back onto the base movement, but none of it is rocket science and the tech service manuals are available on the internet. They don`t like clumsy handling whilst being worked on, but that goes for lots of other movements too.

My only criticism is the 30 second lag when setting the minute hand, that's simply due to the indirect drive of the hands and the backlash where the teeth mesh, but it does make setting the watch exactly a bigger challenge than it should be.

Paul
    I am not a watchmaker so I am just fowarding what was told to me and even then I am not sure if I remember it correctly, but if I recall 2 watchmakers complained that the problem is that the baseplate is too thin to house the additional piggyback module which causes issues (once again, not a watchmaker, english is my second language so might be altogether different part). That being said I had one for few months and my 3 friends bought one on separate instances and all of them ended up having to have it serviced, while I understand that it's small sample size and that they all bought used and out of warranty it leaves an impression.