closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rubber Strap: discolouring

Master

Rubber Strap: discolouring

I recently bought an orange Zuludiver 400 from WatchGecko for my Squale 1521. These are in-house branded Bonetto Cinturini straps.

On a positive note, the strap itself is absolutely excellent: perfect thickness, supple and very comfortable on the wrist. The buckle is also excellent. However, within a week or so (of light use in a clean environment), the edges began picking up 'dirt', turning grey/black as, shortly later, did the main body of the strap. Within a month (of light use) the strap has become severely discoloured and, while completely usable, looks very dirty.

Is this normal i.e. are rubber straps well known dirt magnets that discolour as a result? I hate to admit it but when I first showed the new strap to my wife her first comment was that it was a mistake and that it would discolour! Do those in the know tend to stick to dark blue / black straps as a result?

I'd be interested to hear other people's experiences.

Master
    Doesn't sound good. My Orange Obris Morgan still looks fresh after 16 months. It was a £15-20 cheapo.

I had an orange isofrane which started to discolour after regular wear. The red rubber b I've worn on my deepsea for years still looks box fresh. No issues. But then for £200 odd quid i'd expect that.

Master
    Interesting. WatchGecko thought it must be due to environmental factors but, given that the watch was worn under a wool sweater for a few weekends in a clean part of the world and then for a week's skiing, I don't find that very credible.
    Perhaps it's simply an issue with the type of rubber/finishing used in these Bonetto Cinturinis?

Master
    I've just bought a Zulu Diver rubber strap, in orange, for my Seiko SNM037 (the Z20 on it was rubbish) which I'm going to take to Florida next week where it will be subjected to normal holiday wear and tear.
    I will report back if it starts to discolour.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    I've just bought a Zulu Diver rubber strap, in orange, for my Seiko SNM037 (the Z20 on it was rubbish) which I'm going to take to Florida next week where it will be subjected to normal holiday wear and tear.
    I will report back if it starts to discolour.
    Thanks. Hope you have better luck than me!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Its not dye transfer is it rather than muck?
    I had an orange g shock king that got discoloured by the indigo from jeans. ruined the strap.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Its not dye transfer is it rather than muck?
    I had an orange g shock king that got discoloured by the indigo from jeans. ruined the strap.
    Cartiers watch cleaning kit is very effective. They supplied one with her white rubber watch. It scrubbed up quite well.

Actually, the first strap was replaced free of charge, as they said they changed the type of compound so it didn't mark as badly, which it didn't.
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Apparently using spray cleaners designed to get rid of shower scum are excellent at cleaning stained rubber watch straps.
    Theres a similar thread on WUS. It seems to be a known issue with lighter coloured rubber.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Verv: Message box full !

Sent from my SM-G900F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Thanks for the suggestions. In my case, I don't think it can have been caused by dye as I wore it almost entirely under a red merino wool sweater. Although the dye does run slightly when washing, the discolouration is black.
    I might try the shower scum remover treatment - it sounds like it could do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    Interesting. WatchGecko thought it must be due to environmental factors but, given that the watch was worn under a wool sweater for a few weekends in a clean part of the world and then for a week's skiing, I don't find that very credible.
    Perhaps it's simply an issue with the type of rubber/finishing used in these Bonetto Cinturinis?
    I have BC straps that are a decade old and haven't had any issue.