closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Apple SUES iPhone screen repair shop and LOSES!

Apple SUES iPhone screen repair shop and LOSES!

You may or may not know this chap, he runs an electronics repair business in the US and has a lot of videos about SMD repair work. He also doesn't hold back talking about his experience with Apple in particular... Thought this might potentially be interesting to the educated membership here.

Craftsman

Master
    Given the choice between Apple's arguably unpleasant business practices, and having to use Windows 10, I'd still rather give Apple my money.

Master
    The problem sounds awfully similar to the whole ETA saga.

So Apple resorted to a software solution...see: Apple really don't want you to go to third-party repair stores.

Won't have any thing apple sacked them years ago. Android all the way.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Apple are pretty horrendous in the way they operate... Yet many seem more than happy to bend over and take it however hard they please.

Strange the intricacies of consumerism.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyboy View Post
    Apple are pretty horrendous in the way they operate... Yet many seem more than happy to bend over and take it however hard they please.

Strange the intricacies of consumerism.
    Because for most customers, ownership is a positive experience. I have owned about 6 iPhones, all the way back to the 3G, and a number of Macs and accessories and have never had to repair any of them.

Ah... actually no, I lie; had a Mac Mini when they first came out and after a few weeks it unceremoneously bricked itself and wouldn’t power on ever again. It was replaced with extremely quickly and with zero hassle.

I absolutely don’t dispute customers have had issues with Apple and I would agree that from the things I have read about some of their business practices are abysmal... but if you only have had years of positive experiences as a customer, you are going to see pas those things. Believe me.. if the first time I try and call in on support and get given a hard time after decades of custom, I will re-evaluating where I spend my hard earned going forward!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    Because for most customers, ownership is a positive experience. I have owned about 6 iPhones, all the way back to the 3G, and a number of Macs and accessories and have never had to repair any of them.

Ah... actually no, I lie; had a Mac Mini when they first came out and after a few weeks it unceremoneously bricked itself and wouldn’t power on ever again. It was replaced with extremely quickly and with zero hassle.

I absolutely don’t dispute customers have had issues with Apple and I would agree that from the things I have read about some of their business practices are abysmal... but if you only have had years of positive experiences as a customer, you are going to see pas those things. Believe me.. if the first time I try and call in on support and get given a hard time after decades of custom, I will re-evaluating where I spend my hard earned going forward!
    I’d agree with this wholeheartedly- my Apple experience has been exemplary - others not so much .
    I also use windows and android for work . I find them to be beyond awful for me and won’t touch either when spending my own money . Others love them - our IT guy is a big fan - or rather was - until the faked security patches for android left him a bit lost for words .

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    So Apple resorted to a software solution...see: Apple really don't want you to go to third-party repair stores.
    It's probably illegal in the EU, it will be interesting to see if anyone takes Apple to court. The car manufacturers tried it with CAN tagging of components to stop patent manufacturers and suppliers, EU court deemed it a restrictive practice and outlawed it.

Ridiculous practice
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by back to the top View Post
    I’d agree with this wholeheartedly- my Apple experience has been exemplary - others not so much .
    I also use windows and android for work . I find them to be beyond awful for me and won’t touch either when spending my own money . Others love them - our IT guy is a big fan - or rather was - until the faked security patches for android left him a bit lost for words .
    I am also somewhat surprised how people on this forum don’t really see some of the parallels between Apple and the behaviour of some of the higher end watch brands, especially Rolex! I read some of the stories about what the AD’s dictate what customers can and can’t do with their own watches... it’s pretty insane to me.

Master
    Just leaving this here :

Master
    I think LTT are being slightly disingenuous with how they're presenting this story. Because of their utterly ham-fisted attempt at a home upgrade, on a system not designed to be upgraded at home, they cooked the power supply, the screen (which they also then cracked) and also the motherboard.

Yes, I find it a little odd that Apple are flat out refusing to touch the thing at all.. but for what it's going to cost them to replace all those components plus the labour charge, they might as well just admit they screwed up and buy another iMac Pro - the price probably won't be far off.

Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    I think LTT are being slightly disingenuous with how they're presenting this story. Because of their utterly ham-fisted attempt at a home upgrade, on a system not designed to be upgraded at home, they cooked the power supply, the screen (which they also then cracked) and also the motherboard.

Yes, I find it a little odd that Apple are flat out refusing to touch the thing at all.. but for what it's going to cost them to replace all those components plus the labour charge, they might as well just admit they screwed up and buy another iMac Pro - the price probably won't be far off.
    I agree. Apple have always had a policy to not provide service when a non-approved person has attempted to service a computer. What happens were they to provide service, LTT sells the iMac Pro and an unsuspecting buyer finds a problem with it at a later date which was caused by the original dismantling. LTT should have claimed on their insurance for accidental damage to the iMac Pro. Others have reported that they have broken their iMac Pro displays accidentally (dropped) and had them repaired by Apple.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Others have reported that they have broken their iMac Pro displays accidentally (dropped) and had them repaired by Apple.
    Have they had them repaired or the entire computer replaced?

Yesterday I took my well-used 2014 MBP into an Apple store as I had noticed some minor marks had appeared around the edges of the screen. Not enough to affect use in normal conditions but I could see them in bright sunlight and they seemed to be getting more noticeable as well as creeping further inwards, so I wanted to see what the cost would be to replace the screen.

The upshot was it would be a £300+ bill for the supply and fitting of a replacement screen.

However they decided the screen appeared to have the beginnings of a delamination issue and so they replaced the screen there and then and for no charge at all.

That, plus the level of service I've experienced over the years from Apple, is why I remain loyal to the brand.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.