closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NATO - a neater way!

NATO - a neater way!

You probably all know about this, but, for some who don't, I just came across a somewhat modified way to wear NATO straps that leads to a neater fit. Basically one just puts one's wrists inside the loop that is normally just under the watch - but here is a u-tube video that explains the approach :-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbKiWPF2ccs

Master
    That's great! Thanks for posting!

Ye tried both ways before - still liked the original aesthetic more tho tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well it beats converting them to RAF pattern by cutting off the bit underneath in my opinion.

Ive just tried it and it works!

Feels very comfy.

Thanks for the link!

Stupidest thing I've ever seen. The whole point of that extra loop is to stop the watch sliding off the strap when lifted up by the buckle end. By doing this it totally defeats it's purpose. If you don't like it and think the watch rides too high then simply cut it off.

It's a very useful way of fitting a Nato if you're trying a different colour or pattern and might want to sell if not happy, without removing the "extra" piece. However for a strap that's being kept I usually remove this piece. I have a deluxe type in the post and it'll be interesting to see how this works with a thicker strap, and also if the extra piece can be successfully removed (if need be) without affecting the woven strip along the edges.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    Stupidest thing I've ever seen. The whole point of that extra loop is to stop the watch sliding off the strap when lifted up by the buckle end. By doing this it totally defeats it's purpose. If you don't like it and think the watch rides too high then simply cut it off.
    I can't say that I have ever lifted a watch by the strap buckle, but if I ever do I shall remember your point!

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    It's a very useful way of fitting a Nato if you're trying a different colour or pattern and might want to sell if not happy, without removing the "extra" piece. However for a strap that's being kept I usually remove this piece. I have a deluxe type in the post and it'll be interesting to see how this works with a thicker strap, and also if the extra piece can be successfully removed (if need be) without affecting the woven strip along the edges.
    As someone noted above, you get a different aesthetic with the two ways of wearing a NATO so if you cut off the 'extra' piece you lose an option.

He does have it wrong, the back flap is to stop the watch sliding off the end of the strap, not to prevent the watch leaving in the event of springbar failure.
    However, I convert mine to RAF style, and have never had a watch slide off the strap. Even with skinny perlons.
    I quite like his technique, it saves cutting it.
    Thanks
    Dave

...or, pull the strap out from the bottom lug, and then pass the strap end through the bottom keeper and back through the bottom lug. Still stops the watch sliding off, but hides the keeper.

Edit- if worried about out scratching your case back, put a strip of tape (clear or black) over the bottom keeper.

Like this:

Last edited by bobbee; 20th April 2018 at 09:54. Reason: Added pic.

Master
    I like that idea. I still prefer the original way of wearing it though.

Did anyone else notice he had arms like. 7yr old child?

Interesting variation.
    Although I have to say that anyone with large mits and sizeable wrists will find it a bit of a faff.
    OK for our smaller Mukkers, or our 710's

Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post

Oh, man, to be seven again!!

The real answer of course is to fit a Eulit Perlon

Quote Originally Posted by WatchIng View Post
    As someone noted above, you get a different aesthetic with the two ways of wearing a NATO so if you cut off the 'extra' piece you lose an option.
    Nothing to do with aesthetics for me, it's comfort and fit. The RAF style obviously sits the watch lower and avoids the sometimes cumbersome bulge where the strap is tucked back under, and you can position the buckle where you wish. Regardless of this subjective matter, any style keeps the main purpose ie. being able be fitted to fixed bars. Also with springbars, should one fail the watch head is still attached, you just have to hope you notice in time before the added strain pops the other one off! Of course every time you take scissors to a Nato, after a little work you get the free matching keyring fob as supplied . . .

F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    I like it! With the strap weight underneath rather than on the far side it feels a lot more balanced

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post
    I like it! With the strap weight underneath rather than on the far side it feels a lot more balanced

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Yes - I've been trying it this morning and I agree that the watch sits more comfortably and in a more settled way. Possibly this depends on one's wrist shape. The folded over strap underneath one's wrist also seems to sit very neatly. All positives for anyone who wishes to try more dressy watches with NATOs [not something I do very often!].

Have to say this works well especially on my Seiko Turtle and a thicker Steveo NATO. Before there was a large fold-under on one side of my wrist but now it's under my wrist and a lot more comfortable

Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post

With 7.25” wrists lol

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    With 7.25” wrists lol

1 in 3 children are now overweight or obese. 😀 🍔🍟🍕

Grand Master
    Isn’t it simpler just to buy 3 ring NATO’s in the first place?

Not wishing to rain on anyone's parade, but reading this thread has only served to reinforce one of my many reasons for avoiding NATOs like the plague. I really couldn't abide the faff associated with putting them on!

I'll get my coat...

Simon

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    Isn’t it simpler just to buy 3 ring NATO’s in the first place?
    That did cross my mind. I suppose this gives you the option of both.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Not wishing to rain on anyone's parade, but reading this thread has only served to reinforce one of my many reasons for avoiding NATOs like the plague. I really couldn't abide the faff associated with putting them on!

I'll get my coat...

Simon
    Only takes 4 or 5 seconds - not that much of a faff really! Now trying to open a net of tangerines without dropping them on the floor - THATS a faff I could live without

I've worn a Nato like that before, I hadn't thought to film it and upload it to Youtube though.

Master
    looks quite a good idea to me - although, it did look a bit faffy!

I'll get my coat...

Simon
    On the other hand (well on the same wrist really), switching from one NATO to another is one of the horological joys - and saves one from putting a large number of pound coins in the 'swearing' jar relative to switching 'conventional' straps or [shudder] bracelets!

A bit strong.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    He does have it wrong, the back flap is to stop the watch sliding off the end of the strap, not to prevent the watch leaving in the event of springbar failure.
    However, I convert mine to RAF style, and have never had a watch slide off the strap. Even with skinny perlons.
    I quite like his technique, it saves cutting it.
    Thanks
    Dave
    Nothing to lose in giving it a go.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

A useful benefit is that some straps will give a slightly more relaxed fit when worn like this, eg. I just switched to my DA37 for the weekend and on a hot day like today I can get a more comfortable fit with one of Eddie's coyote brown Natos, but not the looseness of going up a hole in size.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Only takes 4 or 5 seconds - not that much of a faff really! Now trying to open a net of tangerines without dropping them on the floor - THATS a faff I could live without

In fairness Rusty, this is only one of the reasons I hate NATOs, and probably not one of the real dealbreakers...

Simon

I never knew that so appreciate you posting, thanks. I am a Nato wearer and it was always the underside of the wrist I never liked, always looked and felt not substantial enough. This fixes that. Cheers.

It is an interesting idea, I will have to try that. I tend to cut that strap off for the most part. The everest looks great on a nato either way. I am wearing it like this at the moment while I wait to get hold of a perlon for the summer. IMG_20180422_112540.jpgIMG_20180422_112516.jpg

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Just tried it, works well!
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master

I'll get my coat...

Simon
    I'm with you there, and in addition I think they look hideous! I'll get my coat as well.....

As a skinny wrister, I’m going to give this a go. Thanks op.

Thanks for the link. I like

Thanks OP.

I'll be using that method from now on. Much neater.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I really like this, definitely has a place for me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    looks good to me

Master

Not sure that’s its purpose? I’ve got many a NATO fitted to various watches and the way they weave over the bar, under the case and over the other bar means they’d never slip down when holding them up. It actually takes quite a lot of force to remove my watches from a NATO when removing them so not sure what straps you’re using? Maybe a thin silk NATO on an Invicta

Journeyman
    Thanks for this. I'll definitely give it a try

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Wow - this does look good. I've always hated that turned over top bit - so yesterday ordered one of these Erika's Originals for my PRS-10. Shame I didn't come across this thread beforehand as I might have saved myself some money - oh well.

Journeyman
    I think the traditional way of doubling back any excess NATO adds to the charm, look & characteristics of wearing a nato. If I wanted to lose this I'd rather trim it down or probably just buy a strap in a like for like material.

I'll get my coat...

Simon
    I’m afraid this goes for me too... nor do I like the end result, aesthetically and in terms of strap bulk. I realise I’m probably in the minority though. As you were!

Grand Master
    why do you all cut natos? surely buying a two ring version is easier?
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

'Neater' just isn't a priority.

Craftsman
    I'm put-off wearing natos day-to-day with my suit and shirt due to how they wear... I'll try this and see if it looks a bit slicker!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Not sure that’s its purpose? I’ve got many a NATO fitted to various watches and the way they weave over the bar, under the case and over the other bar means they’d never slip down when holding them up. It actually takes quite a lot of force to remove my watches from a NATO when removing them so not sure what straps you’re using? Maybe a thin silk NATO on an Invicta
    It is. The military issued various watches. They were of varying sizes and weights. In the 1980s i managed the wrangle the issue of a G10 watch which came with the NATO strap. These straps were not thick and were of one width, the watch though was light and when fitted did not slip. A friend though of years later who worked on the Ark Royal had been issued a Rolex, he had exactly the same strap issued and as the watch was heavier it did slip on the strap if this keeper was not in place.
    I did not see a military watch on any other strap so i presume they had the one issue strap for all.
    Today the straps you buy are so much better than what i had, i sadly no longer have the watch but still use the strap on a light Pulsar ana digital.

Quote Originally Posted by csinclair85 View Post
    I'm put-off wearing natos day-to-day with my suit and shirt due to how they wear... I'll try this and see if it looks a bit slicker!

Try a Haveston, a slimmer fit with no bulky tuck under on the side due to the sliding keeper.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Works for me. I went off NATOS as I found that the balance was off, and the watch head dragged the strap around with it. This has eliminated that- trying a Monster, and works really well!