closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Best Bike Ride?

Best Bike Ride?

Me and the wife went down to Poole to stay in the Hotel du Vin on Sunday night. One of those deals where you spend a few quid in the bistro, and then get the room for the night a few quid extra. Lovely stay and lovely food.

But best bit was we took the Brompton’s with us and cycled from from Poole to Mudeford and back, about 30 miles in total.

What an absolutely stunning ride especially in the sunshine. Almost all (bar a km or so) on a wide path following the sea, with the waves crashing next to you as you cycle. Then along the edge of Christchurch Harbour to the sandbanks of Mudeford with more beautiful, but different scenery. All of it perfectly set up for cycling - flat, gentle and wide paths

As we’re approaching 50 it was perfect for us. Great stop off places for a bite to eat and a beer too.

On the look out for more, so any you’d recommend?

Cut Gate on a sunny midweek evening.
    (not on a Brompton though)

That is a beautiful coastline, sounds like a near perfect weekend. Makes me want to copy it.

Journeyman
    From Salisbury through to Warminster along the Wyle. Beautiful countryside nice and quiet and some great pubs and farm shops.

Master
    Loads of lovely places in the Lakes to go on a bike ride......when the sun actually shines🤔

Quote Originally Posted by Tumpter View Post
    From Salisbury through to Warminster along the Wyle. Beautiful countryside nice and quiet and some great pubs and farm shops.
    I once had a property in the Wylye valley, lovely area.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Me and the wife went down to Poole to stay in the Hotel du Vin on Sunday night. One of those deals where you spend a few quid in the bistro, and then get the room for the night a few quid extra. Lovely stay and lovely food.

But best bit was we took the Brompton’s with us and cycled from from Poole to Mudeford and back, about 30 miles in total.

What an absolutely stunning ride especially in the sunshine. Almost all (bar a km or so) on a wide path following the sea, with the waves crashing next to you as you cycle. Then along the edge of Christchurch Harbour to the sandbanks of Mudeford with more beautiful, but different scenery. All of it perfectly set up for cycling - flat, gentle and wide paths

As we’re approaching 50 it was perfect for us. Great stop off places for a bite to eat and a beer too.

On the look out for more, so any you’d recommend?
    You're making me jealous; Mudeford is where I grew up and I love going back there. The beauty of this ride is that you can extend it in both directions by taking your bikes on a couple of ferries (and they don't need to be Brompton's to do this). At the Poole end take the ferry from Sandbanks across to Studland and cycle to the Bankes Arms pub for great views over the bay from their beer garden. You can also take the bridleway to Old Harry Rocks, which is perfectly manageable even on a road bike. Exploring the Arne nature reserve is also wonderful on a bike. At the Mudeford end take the ferry from the sandspit over the Quay and enjoy a pint outside at the Haven House Inn, or continue along the promenade to Avon beach where there is a good cafe with an outside bar in the summer. One thing to note though, there are cycling restrictions between Sandbanks and Southbourne in high season (July and August) between 10 am and 6pm; but early morning and later evening are blissful in the summer so not really a problem. I have done these rides with my Dad who is in his late seventies, and my kids - they have all loved it.
    Also in that neck of the woods there are some really good cycling trails in the New Forest, which can be a bit undulating but not really challenging and take in some great pubs - The Foresters at Frogham, Royal Oak at Fritham, The Lamb at Nomansland, High Corner Inn at Linwood.
    I live in the Peak District now which is more challenging terrain,although the Monsal, High Peak and Tissington trails are great and pretty flat; and you're never far from a decent cafe or pub.

Quote Originally Posted by stifflersmom View Post
    You're making me jealous; Mudeford is where I grew up and I love going back there. The beauty of this ride is that you can extend it in both directions by taking your bikes on a couple of ferries (and they don't need to be Brompton's to do this). At the Poole end take the ferry from Sandbanks across to Studland and cycle to the Bankes Arms pub for great views over the bay from their beer garden. You can also take the bridleway to Old Harry Rocks, which is perfectly manageable even on a road bike. Exploring the Arne nature reserve is also wonderful on a bike. At the Mudeford end take the ferry from the sandspit over the Quay and enjoy a pint outside at the Haven House Inn, or continue along the promenade to Avon beach where there is a good cafe with an outside bar in the summer. One thing to note though, there are cycling restrictions between Sandbanks and Southbourne in high season (July and August) between 10 am and 6pm; but early morning and later evening are blissful in the summer so not really a problem. I have done these rides with my Dad who is in his late seventies, and my kids - they have all loved it.
    Also in that neck of the woods there are some really good cycling trails in the New Forest, which can be a bit undulating but not really challenging and take in some great pubs - The Foresters at Frogham, Royal Oak at Fritham, The Lamb at Nomansland, High Corner Inn at Linwood.
    I live in the Peak District now which is more challenging terrain,although the Monsal, High Peak and Tissington trails are great and pretty flat; and you're never far from a decent cafe or pub.
    I’ve done the ferry and bike, at least the Sandbanks-Studland chain ferry, and have done Studland-Swanage-Worth Matravers-Kingston-Corfe-Rempstone Heath-Studland.

Another stunning ride, but not easy on the legs. And my missus wouldn’t (and couldn’t) do it.

Merthyr Tydfil to Brecon via the Taff Trail

Quite challenging on a road bike but on a fine and clear day the views up to Pen y Fan and then down to Tal y Bont reservoir are pretty good.Despite it's name the trail is on roads for most of this part but they are quiet and cars are rewardingly few and far between.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stifflersmom View Post
    The Lamb, just down the road from me, great food at Les Mirabelles next door too.

A lap of the Isle of Wight is nice. Wouldn’t do it on a Brompton though as a fair few hills. It’s doable in a day on a road bike though.

Craftsman
    Agreed re. Isle of Wight. Fantastic place for a days ride. Few years back my wife and I took the ferry from Lymington and rode around most of it on the mountain bikes.

I rode down from just South of Cambridge to Greenwich yesterday on the road bike.
    The contrast of leafy country lanes to skyscrapers of Canary Wharf within 10 miles or less was quite something.
    Then finishing the journey with a walk under the Thames and the final mile or so on the quieter side of the river was lovely.
    Perfect day for it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PipPip View Post
    A lap of the Isle of Wight is nice. Wouldn’t do it on a Brompton though as a fair few hills. It’s doable in a day on a road bike though.

I borrowed a 2speed Brompton and took it to the Isle of Wight, did some lovely rides along the southern half from ventnor to the needles, didn’t shy away from the hills either but I’m 65kg and used to ride ss MTB and Fixed on the road so getting off and walking isn’t an option :-)
    Some lovely stretches of road to ride on if you keep off the coast road which attracts coaches and grockles with their atrocious driving.