closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    This is where things tend to get a bit murky and can and will divide opinion. Bill from MKII made no illusion he was trying to recreate a bit of nostalgia, primarily from the Rolex 58' Sub and the original Rolex Pan Am GMT, using of course more modern materials and ETA movement. However, (and this is where it can get a bit controversial), isn't this what Tudor is trying to do as well ? Also, Bill brought out his Kingston and GMT well before Tudor brought out their first Black Bay and own GMT. At the time there was no one else offering these specific models with the gilt dials (at a reasonable price), that's why I bought them.

Not trying to start an argument , merely pointing out Tudor are doing the exactly the same as other manufacturer's, it's just of course Tudor are a sub brand of Rolex . For me though it doesn't matter, now a style that I like will now be offered by Tudor which has seriously got me interested in getting hold of one.
    End of the day Tudor and Rolex are the same company really. I was wondering more about mkII v steinhart in terms of one getting more abuse than the other, and why that might be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    End of the day Tudor and Rolex are the same company really. I was wondering more about mkII v steinhart in terms of one getting more abuse than the other, and why that might be.

MKII are alot smaller than Steinhart and perhaps targetting a slightly more niche market than Steinhart, in essence maybe flying a bit below the radar in comparison. In saying that, MKII certainly does get criticism (albeit it for different reasons) but the crux of the matter is those who can accept homages and those who don't. You'll never square that circle as there will always be a divided opinion on the matter. Although Tudor are a brand of Rolex nevertheless, they as a brand are offering homages to it's bigger siblings offering's.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I think you may be forgetting that Tudor used to use Rolex cases for a long time.
    Tudor starting selling subs in Rolex cases in 1958. 60 years ago.
    At the express intention of the founder of Rolex, Hans Wilsdorf, who founded Tudor to offer Rolex technology at a lower price point.
    Tudor not only have the right to model their range on Rolex, it is in their founding DNA.
    No-one else, whether it be Steinhart, MkII or anyone else, can say that.

Dave
    Yes I am aware of Tudor's illustrious history and yes I don't dispute their right to use the Rolex and Tudor's back catalogue for inspiration but the Rolex Submariner will and always will be the original.

For the record I am an admirer of Tudor's BB offerings, so I'm certainly not criticising them.
    Last edited by zippy; 25th April 2018 at 13:00.

MKII are alot smaller than Steinhart and perhaps targetting a slightly more niche market than Steinhart, in essence maybe flying a bit below the radar in comparison. In saying that, MKII certainly does get criticism (albeit it for different reasons) but the crux of the matter is those who can accept homages and those who don't. You'll never square that circle as there will always be a divided opinion on the matter. Although Tudor are a brand of Rolex nevertheless, they as a brand are offering homages to it's bigger siblings offering's.
    The gmt is but the bb58 is homage to their own first diver I believe

Yes I am aware of Tudor's illustrious history and yes I don't dispute their right to use the Rolex and Tudor's back catalogue for inspiration but the Rolex Submariner will and always will be the original.

For the record I am an admirer of Tudor's BB offerings, so I'm certainly not criticising them.
    But your previous quote suggested that Tudor was now copying what MkII were doing, and moreover, doing it after they had.
    The converse is very much true, Tudor were making more affordable versions of Rolex watches before Bill Yao was even a twinkle in his father's eye etc etc.
    And they were doing it with genuine cases because of the express wishes of Rolex's founder.

Calling this a hommage is not really accurate. Especially as it is now clear that now Tudor are even using Rolex movement tech for their new offerings.

Dave

Master

Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight

I beg to differ.
    As Dave mentioned above; Tudor NEVER (the gmt blurbs the lines a bit I have to admit) made an homage to Rolex. It offered a Rolex case with an off the shelf movement in order to keep the costs down.
    They offered the same cases products simultaneously rather than Rolex coming up with something first and then Tudor copying them...