closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight

Craftsman

Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight

not sure if this has been posted already but I've just come across this preview and it looks stunning. I've never been a fan of the diver/sub look but this may be changing my mind...

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/tu...eight-hands-on

Couple of threads on this I'm sure.

Lose the crap bracelet, add a date option too and you've got a winner. Case shape should appeal to more people than the standard BB too
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Couple of threads on this I'm sure.

Lose the crap bracelet, add a date option too and you've got a winner. Case shape should appeal to more people than the standard BB too
    I have been looking into one. Can someone explain what's wrong with the bracelet?

Pretend rivets

Quote Originally Posted by ollipekka View Post
    I have been looking into one. Can someone explain what's wrong with the bracelet?
    Bracelet is very good.

But many don’t like the faux rivets on the edges of the links.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bracelet is lame but otherwise very nice. I’ll probably get one after the initial rush is over.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Bracelet is lame but otherwise very nice. I’ll probably get one after the initial rush is over.
    The bracelet on the original black bays looked so much better, I don’t know why they decided to add those awful rivets.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistolpete21 View Post
    The bracelet on the original black bays looked so much better, I don’t know why they decided to add those awful rivets.

Agreed!

I wear one of mine on a Ranger bracelet too

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistolpete21 View Post

Is this the same bracelet as the GMT?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
    The GMT also has the rivet bracelet.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
    Gmt 22mm. The BB58 is 20mm. The orig B.B. non rivet bracelet will fit it but I don’t think they’ve done a 20mm bracelet till this one - at least recently.

At least the price is OK

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Gmt 22mm. The BB58 is 20mm. The orig B.B. non rivet bracelet will fit it but I don’t think they’ve done a 20mm bracelet till this one - at least recently.

If the GMT is 22mm then the original BB bracelet won't fit the 58 because the GMT is the same size as the other BB models. Not sure if the GMT is 22mm though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagraboy View Post
    If the GMT is 22mm then the original BB bracelet won't fit the 58 because the GMT is the same size as the other BB models. Not sure if the GMT is 22mm though.
    I mean the old bracelet from say a black bay red will fit the new Tudor gmt.

Banned
    I mean the old bracelet from say a black bay red will fit the new Tudor gmt.

Thanks,

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Artium View Post
    At least the price is OK
    It's about right, it's not a complicated watch. 2 piece case, 3 hands no date, no dial ring, closed case back, basic crown. For all intents and purposes it's not exactly anything special when you at the sum of parts, but aesthetically yes it's a very nice looking watch.

Craftsman
    I'm a big fan.

I've liked the Black Bay since it made its first appearance, and have considered getting one again and again, but whenever I try one on I just can't get comfortable with the size – especially the height. Loved the GMT when I first saw it, but I don't think I'll ever get over that polished slab of a side. The 58 seems like the perfect alternative for me, I just wish there was a date version...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by famyklebust View Post
    I'm a big fan.

I've liked the Black Bay since it made its first appearance, and have considered getting one again and again, but whenever I try one on I just can't get comfortable with the size – especially the height. Loved the GMT when I first saw it, but I don't think I'll ever get over that polished slab of a side. The 58 seems like the perfect alternative for me, I just wish there was a date version...
    The reason I got rid of a first gen BBR was the lack of a date. I may not have needed to reference the date more than a small number of times a day but I found it too frustrating. It made for a better weekend watch for me but still didn't work amongst the other watches I like to wear.

So much is sorted out her, as has been mentioned (I'm not convinced on the rivets of the bracelet). Lets not forget they have got rid of the coloured crown tube... thats a big win to me. It was a real turn off on the other models - plus a huge mistake to have the black tube on the blue BB36mm it look horrible IMO!

Oh the irony - the bracelet and lack of date are two of the things that really appeal to me about the BB58

Quote Originally Posted by SimonConnell View Post
    Oh the irony - the bracelet and lack of date are two of the things that really appeal to me about the BB58
    If the only thing that appeals to you is the bracelet, then the watch is in trouble!

I would just like the option of the date, and a normal Oyster type bracelet. The mice to a more vintage look of the bracelet is a backward step for a brand that is trying to move forward imo.

The move to a more vintage look of the bracelet is a backward step for a brand that is trying to move forward imo.
    The whole watch is backward looking and so in that respect, the faux-riveted bracelet is entirely in keeping. The only thing I cannot stand with vintage-inspired modern designs is pretend aged lume and on that front, this watch is a winner.

Martin

God you lot are picky! Who cares if the rivets are ‘pretend’. This whole watch thing is pretend. None of us need a £££ watch. It’s all an image game. I like it. And I’m glad there’s no date and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow View Post
    God you lot are picky! Who cares if the rivets are ‘pretend’. This whole watch thing is pretend. None of us need a £££ watch. It’s all an image game. I like it. And I’m glad there’s no date and all.
    I agree. I like it too. It addressed everything I didn't like about the original Black Bay. And to my eyes, is a much more interesting package than, say, the current Rolex Submariner.

Martin

Craftsman
    Liking it a lot from the pics I've seen, looking forward to seeing in person.

The BB58 is a good contender to make my beater list.
    Will prob pick one up once the initial buzz/rush dies down.

Master
    I think the leather option is a good one. I’m considering swapping my ETA for one as a daily wearer. A bracelet would only get desk dived to oblivion anyway!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC View Post
    I agree. I like it too. It addressed everything I didn't like about the original Black Bay. And to my eyes, is a much more interesting package than, say, the current Rolex Submariner.

Martin
    I've always been quite indifferent towards modern sub's, I agree this is much more interesting. Vintage feel without questionable lume, great size, looks like it just wants to take a hammering, I imagine it would look even better once well worn.

Don't care about the bracelet quality, I'd be 100% leather anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by td1596 View Post
    I've always been quite indifferent towards modern sub's, I agree this is much more interesting. Vintage feel without questionable lume, great size, looks like it just wants to take a hammering, I imagine it would look even better once well worn.

Don't care about the bracelet quality, I'd be 100% leather anyway.
    Still think bracelet will have better residuals even if you just stick it straight on leather

I think I will get one. Looks to be an ideal size and design to me. I expect I will end up wearing it more than my 114060.

Looking forward to seeing one and if it is ticks the boxes getting it :)

Quote Originally Posted by td1596 View Post
    looks like it just wants to take a hammering, I imagine it would look even better once well worn.
    A good point - I tend to think one of the fairly unique characteristics of a Rolex Sub is that it looks good well used.

I was invited to St James's today to see the new Tudors. My favourite (with the GMT) was the new 39mm Black Bay 58 and I took a couple of shots on my phone - one comparing 41 and 39mm. It's also much slimmer; the new smaller movement makes it feel more like a classic Tudor or Rolex Sub - much less chunky than the 41mm - good news in my book.

All in all I felt it was a nice watch with an in-house movement at a good price.

A great looking watch although I already own a very similar looking MKII Kingston which I've had for a few years now. However I am seriously tempted to just get the Tudor as well (If I I am able to get my hands on one ) .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow View Post
    I was going to post a similar thing about the comments on the article! It’s mostly moaning over why it’s not exactly tailored to their personal requirements.

All Tudor need to do is produce one that’s got a date but doesn’t have a date, has a date magnifier without a date magnifier, have the Tudor rose or the smiley face on the dial, have a larger & smaller crown, the bezel should be red or blue or green or just any other colour than it is so that people can moan it’s not in a different colour, the lume should be new looking but not too new but not faux, the hands shouldn’t be snowflake but not Mercedes, the bracelet shouldn’t have rivets...

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    I was going to post a similar thing about the comments on the article! It’s mostly moaning over why it’s not exactly tailored to their personal requirements.

All Tudor need to do is produce one that’s got a date but doesn’t have a date, has a date magnifier without a date magnifier, have the Tudor rose or the smiley face on the dial, have a larger & smaller crown, the bezel should be red or blue or green or just any other colour than it is so that people can moan it’s not in a different colour, the lume should be new looking but not too new but not faux, the hands shouldn’t be snowflake but not Mercedes, the bracelet shouldn’t have rivets...
    Above is the cut out and keep guide as to why they don't want to buy it once it comes up in Sales Corner for the first time... :-)

I am interested in this watch as the original Black Bays were too chunky and slab sided for me. This case looks to be in proper proportion but I will need to see one on the wrist to be sure.
    Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 24th April 2018 at 20:03.

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    A great looking watch although I already own a very similar looking MKII Kingston which I've had for a few years now. However I am seriously tempted to just get the Tudor as well (If I I am able to get my hands on one ) .

The gmt and the 58 mkII style!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davide View Post
    I was invited to St James's today to see the new Tudors. My favourite (with the GMT) was the new 39mm Black Bay 58 and I took a couple of shots on my phone - one comparing 41 and 39mm. It's also much slimmer; the new smaller movement makes it feel more like a classic Tudor or Rolex Sub - much less chunky than the 41mm - good news in my book.

All in all I felt it was a nice watch with an in-house movement at a good price.

What did you think of the GMT and did you manage any photos of it? Also did they give an indication of when they will be with the AD's? I am near the top of a list and was told June or more likely July.

Thanks

Tudor Black Bay GMT

I liked the GMT. Tudor emphasised to me that it's part of the Rolex/Tudor family and is filling a gap in the combined range - so effectively recognising that together they're offering watches to a range of requirements and pockets - an interesting approach which overcomes any view that the GMT is simply a Rolex copy.

The hands are designed to be slimmer than the Black Bay snowflakes, presumably to prevent the busy dial becoming crowded.

I'm sorry I didn't get a date in the shops - these only arrived a day or two ago - but I had heard July too.

I snapped these on my phone - I had a camera but for some reason didn't get it out!

Last edited by davide; 24th April 2018 at 21:17.

Master

That's a gorgeous NATO. Standard with the watch?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by stefmcd; 24th April 2018 at 23:25.

Master
    It’s funny - I’m not a fan of a cyclops, but I’m so conditioned to seeing this combination of components alongside of one, that I almost come away thinking it needs it!

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    That's a gorgeous NATO. Standard with the watch?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    You choose. Bracelet leather or nato. About £300 dearer for bracelet version and they don’t come with two straps now sadly

I think the size is great - the original is way too thick for me - and I can't wait to see it in person. Having said that, I don't care for the gilt numbers on the bezel.

I'm hoping for a blue dial with blue bezel (and no date and no gilt) next year. Square indices would be a nice bonus...

Master
    I liked the GMT. Tudor emphasised to me that it's part of the Rolex/Tudor family and is filling a gap in the combined range - so effectively recognising that together they're offering watches to a range of requirements and pockets - an interesting approach which overcomes any view that the GMT is simply a Rolex copy.

The hands are designed to be slimmer than the Black Bay snowflakes, presumably to prevent the busy dial becoming crowded.

I'm sorry I didn't get a date in the shops - these only arrived a day or two ago - but I had heard July too.

I snapped these on my phone - I had a camera but for some reason didn't get it out!

Thanks for that. Interesting re the combined range. I have the Rolex GMT which I have never really bonded with. I saw the Tudor and immediately though it was more my sort of watch. It may have been better with a white on black date wheel. Overall to me it otherwise looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
    I think the size is great - the original is way too thick for me - and I can't wait to see it in person. Having said that, I don't care for the gilt numbers on the bezel.

I'm hoping for a blue dial with blue bezel (and no date and no gilt) next year. Square indices would be a nice bonus...
    There is nothing surer than more 39mm offerings, as I doubt they would create this in house caliber for a one off piece imho

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post

It’s interesting that mkII don’t get the vitriol that steinhart do for doing the same thing. Puzzles me. They look good btw

Thanks for the photos of the GMT, there is certainly nothing there that makes me want my deposit back.........
    I think it (still) looks great

I think it is interesting that both of this years additions to the BB range (the 58 and GMT) have abandoned the coloured section of crown tube. Will this permeate through the range I wonder?????

Dave

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Thanks for the photos of the GMT, there is certainly nothing there that makes me want my deposit back.........
    I think it (still) looks great

I think it is interesting that both of this years additions to the BB range (the 58 and GMT) have abandoned the coloured section of crown tube. Will this permeate through the range I wonder?????

Dave
    I wouldn't be surprised. Wasn't there an issue with bi-metallic corrosion with the BB crown tube being aluminium. When exposed to salt water there was an electrolytic reaction? Or perhaps I dreamt it...

Master
    There is nothing surer than more 39mm offerings, as I doubt they would create this in house caliber for a one off piece imho

I’m hoping for a smaller Ranger at some point!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

It’s interesting that mkII don’t get the vitriol that steinhart do for doing the same thing. Puzzles me. They look good btw

This is where things tend to get a bit murky and can and will divide opinion. Bill from MKII made no illusion he was trying to recreate a bit of nostalgia, primarily from the Rolex 58' Sub and the original Rolex Pan Am GMT, using of course more modern materials and ETA movement. However, (and this is where it can get a bit controversial), isn't this what Tudor is trying to do as well ? Also, Bill brought out his Kingston and GMT well before Tudor brought out their first Black Bay and own GMT. At the time there was no one else offering these specific models with the gilt dials (at a reasonable price), that's why I bought them.

Not trying to start an argument , merely pointing out Tudor are doing the exactly the same as other manufacturer's, it's just of course Tudor are a sub brand of Rolex . For me though it doesn't matter, now a style that I like will now be offered by Tudor which has seriously got me interested in getting hold of one.

I think you may be forgetting that Tudor used to use Rolex cases for a long time.
    Tudor starting selling subs in Rolex cases in 1958. 60 years ago.
    At the express intention of the founder of Rolex, Hans Wilsdorf, who founded Tudor to offer Rolex technology at a lower price point.
    Tudor not only have the right to model their range on Rolex, it is in their founding DNA.
    No-one else, whether it be Steinhart, MkII or anyone else, can say that.

Dave