closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Explorer 114270 advice please

Rolex Explorer 114270 advice please

I'm in the market for a 114270 but prices on the general t'interweb are all over the shop, from £2,300 up to near £5,000.

I've checked our own esteemed Miltons as a reliable source for these things and there are some lovely examples but all sold. These seem to have sold for between £3,200 and £3,600 depending on age and condition.

The one I'm looking at in particular is a 2003 model in almost new condition if the pics and description are anything to go by. It has original boxes, chronometre certificate, red hang tag, but seemingly no Explorer or Oyster booklets (not a deal breaker). The price I was considering offering is £3,600, which is a couple of hundred off their asking price. I asked about service history but got the standard 'inspected by our watchmaker, runs faultlessly, etc.' reply. It has a 2-year seller warranty for what that's worth.

I could also get a well-used but movement-serviced (independent) version for £2500. Not quite full set, missing outer box, hang tag, and chronometre certificate and there is one nasty deep mark to the case side. I don't know how much metal it can stand to lose to sort.

I'm intending to wear the watch as a daily but I'd rather put my own marks on it.

Any advice gratefully received

If you don’t go for the one at £2500, I’d be keen to have a look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    If you don’t go for the one at £2500, I’d be keen to have a look at it.
    It's over on TWF but I can ask him

I'll be in touch

£1100 is a huge saving.

I think £3500 for a full set with recent service would be a good price. £3000-£3500 seems to be the general ballpark for private sales, and then the sky is the limit for dealers. I love the watch, it’s one of my favourite Rolex models and I have owned many over the years, alas a tiny bit too small fair my current tastes - but then I have slightly larger wrists :(
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    It's over on TWF but I can ask him

I'll be in touch
    Cheers

Master
    Blog Entries
    Why would you want one with damage?

It depends how damaged it is but it’s had a recent service and could make a decent everyday watch.
    I’ve not discounted new either though.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’d also consider the bracelet condition. A new one is £1000.

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Personally I prefer the 214270 & would buy brand new with the 5 year warranty
    Great. Thanks for letting me know

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    £1100 is a huge saving.

I think £3500 for a full set with recent service would be a good price. £3000-£3500 seems to be the general ballpark for private sales, and then the sky is the limit for dealers. I love the watch, it’s one of my favourite Rolex models and I have owned many over the years, alas a tiny bit too small fair my current tastes - but then I have slightly larger wrists :(
    Thanks.

I called the seller, Chronext as it happens, and they wouldn't shift on price and couldn't confirm the service history. Well, first it was, 'must have had a Rolex service', then it was, 'not so sure but we inspect all our watches … ' then it was, 'I really don't know'. It's probably absolutely fine but with so much confusion and relying on their own warranty and 'expert watchmaker' to fix any issues, I'll leave it.

The search continues, but that's part of the fun

Master
    When buying patience is the virtue.😇

Master
    Blog Entries
    Unless you see actual service papers assume nothing has been done.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Unless you see actual service papers assume nothing has been done.
    Good advice.

I got my 14270 a couple of years back for £2900 box and papers, but not booklet. A couple of small dings in one of the lugs and some light scratches. Got the our watchmaker has serviced it routine. Was soon running -30secs. Got it serviced for just over £200 and now it's keeping great time. Think I got lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyGood View Post
    I got my 14270 a couple of years back for £2900 box and papers, but not booklet. A couple of small dings in one of the lugs and some light scratches. Got the our watchmaker has serviced it routine. Was soon running -30secs. Got it serviced for just over £200 and now it's keeping great time. Think I got lucky.
    I assume that wasn't a Rolex service at 200 quid then ?

I think unless super concerned about price, I would buy with papers and in better condition, boxed/booklets dont have much value, only papers do, watch with box and booklets But without papers was Probably loose watch with box and booklets added separately.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    I assume that wasn't a Rolex service at 200 quid then ?
    No it was Christian at watchguy. He was very good. Gives you lots of lovely pictures of the service too. No polishing though, which is fine.