timefactors watches

Thread: Fujifilm experiences?

Fujifilm experiences?

Evening all,

having arrived at the point where I canít recall the last time I took my Canon 50D out (and genuinely am not sure where in the house it is) Iím contemplating getting rid of it all and going for something more compact and portable. I have a Sony RX100 Mk1 which is nice as compacts go but nothing like an SLR (and nor should it be) and so Iím looking at something like a Fuji X100 (T OR F), Fuji Xpro2, or something of this nature (smaller, maybe with interchangeable lenses but mostly portable).

Has anyone done it and if so how do you find it? Did your inspiration improve? Is it worthwhile?

Cheers
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    Has anyone done it and if so how do you find it? Did your inspiration improve? Is it worthwhile?
    In order...

Yes
    http://porlm.com/photo/fuji-x100/
    No
    If new stuff inspires you

My verdict on Fuji: Old sensors, slow controls, poor battery life, dismal focussing and weak build quality. Look nice though, and rabid owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    In order...

Yes
    http://porlm.com/photo/fuji-x100/
    No
    If new stuff inspires you

My verdict on Fuji: Old sensors, slow controls, poor battery life, dismal focussing and weak build quality. Look nice though, and rabid owners.
    Rabid? You’ve read the Rolex threads, right? 廊

And crikey, that review really doesn’t like the Fuji does he... edited to add, I’ve just realised that’s you isn’t it? Apologies.

Ok, on the basis my 50d and even smallest lens (sigma 50mm 1.4) still weighs a sack of potatoes, any recos on smaller, lightweight gear? The Fuji x100 appeals due to its simplicity of adjustment for exposure, aperture, ISO etc hence the gravitation towards them.
    Last edited by tiny73; 18th April 2018 at 20:26.

Journeyman
    I think this does depend a bit on where your passion really lies. I gave up my SLR as it was mostly gathering dust due to being too bulky to be with me everywhere I went.
    I just want to take good quality creative photos and have a camera thatís actually with me and Iím not obsessed about pixel peeping.
    I switched to a Fujifilm x100t and Iím very happy with it. Itís not perfect and has many compromises but it takes great photos, my family can use it easily and seems optimised for my style. I love street photography, shall depth of field and unobtrusive grab shots of people.

Interestingly I just lent it to a camera mad colleague whoís an SLR fan. Heís more happy lugging a lot of kit around than I am but had similar frustrations about all the times he chooses to leave the camera at home.
    He was trying to decide between a new SLR body or completely switch to the x100. His verdict after using both was he wants both now. His style is thatís heís more of a gadget freak than I am and his photography is more zoom biased than mine. If thatís your style the x100ís probably arenít your thing.

I’m a rabid owner of an X100F and an X-T2. The original X100 was flawed but the F is a different ballpark. Interestingly, people seem to be very amenable to being photographed with the X100 variants, maybe it’s to do with the traditional and unobtrusive appearance. Although the interface takes some getting used to, once set up to the manner you prefer (all buttons are hugely user programmable) it’s a doddle to use. The manual dials for speed, ISO, exp comp, etc. do need a very quick check when taking out of the bag but it’s a small price to pay for the ease of use. I’m extremely happy with the results from both cameras. I don’t think that they ‘say something’ about me although they do draw compliments because they look damn good - and I’ve not added any red buttons.
    Last edited by Mr Curta; 19th April 2018 at 12:23.

Journeyman

Fujifilm experiences?

I sold off my Nikon DSLR and a number of lenses last year and moved to a Fuji XT-20. Best thing I ever did. Kit is so much lighter that Iím less inclined to leave it at home. Results have been excellent. Film simulation mode is just brilliant and JPGs straight out the camera are so good I hardly ever shoot RAW. Which is a good thing as it saves a load of time - the files are HUGE.

I disagree with Tinyís comments above - the new X-Trans sensor is highly regarded and most reviewers reckon the auto-focus is best in class. Build quality is certainly better than any Nikon Iíve ever had. Agree that battery life is poor but they are small and not expensive so you just need a spare or two....

Iím currently using the XF 18-55 lens and the XF 35mm f2. Telephoto to follow when funds permit.
    Last edited by CriticalMass; 18th April 2018 at 19:47.

Craftsman
    I had an x100, later upgraded to an xt10 to get better auto focus with face recognition and changeable lenses. Great bit of kit, fits in a pocket and takes great pics. Can be stuck in full auto and handed to the missus. Never had an issue with battery life, I carry a spare but never needed it.

It won't quite replace my ff Nikon for low light work or ultimate quality. Probably a match for dx though.

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
    I sold off my Nikon DSLR and a number of lenses last year and moved to a Fuji XT-20. Best thing I ever did. Kit is so much lighter that Iím less inclined to leave it at home. Results have been excellent. Film simulation mode is just brilliant and JPGs straight out the camera are so good I hardly ever shoot RAW. Which is a good thing as it saves a load of time - the files are HUGE.

I disagree with Tinyís comments above - the new X-Trans sensor is highly regarded and most reviewers reckon the auto-focus is best in class. Build quality is certainly better than any Nikon Iíve ever had. Agree that battery life is poor but they are small and not expensive so you just need a spare or two....

Iím currently using the XF 18-55 lens and the XF 35mm f2. Telephoto to follow when funds permit.
    This is exactly the response I would have expected from a rabid Fuji user. How's anyone supposed to tell you're 'into' photography if you're not lugging around a rucksack full of lenses and massive Canon/Nikon strapped around your neck.

And who uses jpgs - sitting in a darkened room on all evening looking at a computer screen, spending hours converting RAW files and meddling with them in lightroom is what it's all about, isn't it?

The original Fuji X series cameras certainly werenít speed demons

But the lastest ones (100f, XT2, XH1, X-Pro2) when paired with Fujiís modern lenses are spritely enough, ok so theyíre not exactly D5s but theyíre enough for most things

A bit like the Sony A7 range Fuji seem to get criticism for things that just arenít true anymore, with the Sonys itís people saying the lens range isnít great (no longer true) and with the Fujis itís about the AF, which again isnít true any more

DSLR to mirrorless is quite a shift, the biggest plus IMO is having a real time live view, that basically shows you the picture before youíve taken it

The latest A7 range will have a bit more sensor performance and they now have a bigger battery, and the bodies are small. But you canít cheat physics, so if you start sticking fast FF glass on it, then things get big/heavy/expensive quickly

Modern APSC is pretty decent these days, the latest 24mp Fujis use the same chip as the Sony A6300/6500 which outperforms the original A7 FF one (which to be fair is a bit long in the tooth now, but equally Sony have only just upgraded it with the A7iii, the A7ii used the same one)

The old adage ďthereís no substitute for sensor sizeĒ now needs the caveat, as long as youíre comparing sensors from the same generation, otherwise itís not so clear cut

I donít think a camera can really give you inspiration, I mean you go out and shoot more because itís new, but newness wears off and youíre back where you started..

If the most modern feature set appeals, then that would be the XH1 (that has IBIS), for less money and less features, but as a decent DSLR replacement, try the XT2.

My personal choice is the X-Pro2 (I also have an X-Pro1 and an M9p) because I like optical viewfinders... the only advice Iíd offer re the X-Pro range is that theyíre pretty unique, which can mean quirky. In actual usage itís completely different to the Leica (win some/lose some) so if youíre thinking the Fuji is an M substitute then think long and hard, because it isnít..

Iím a little biased as I have a great relationship with Fuji (the company not just the products) but for me, the APSC Fujis really do offer a lot, decent fast glass, decent build quality, in a fairly small size, and Fuji are fond of adding new features via (free) firmware updates. With many different colour and black and white modes (even in raw from LR and some other raw convertors)

But trying to be subjective, the newer Sonys are worth a look, (A7Riii, A9 and A7iii) for their improved battery life, sensors and IBIS. The earlier Sonys had bad battery life, strange artifacts when shooting compressed raw (according to Ming Thein and DPR) and from owners I personally know using the A7rii they say the colour isnít always very good, although capture one apparently helps

If most of what Iíve written (compressed raw etc) isnít applicable, then IMO itís a bigger score for Fuji as they have whatís generally regarded as the best straight out of camera jpegs in the business.

HTH?

Great responses so far, thanks for all the input.

I appreciate that new kit wonít make me take better pictures but it will encourage me to take a camera out with me which currently doesnít happen. The Sony is a great little point and shoot but sometimes feels too clunky, slow and overly complex in terms of menu navigation and options. The picture is gone before Iíve figured out the menu.

Hence, a camera that I have a degree of control over and settings I can navigate easily as well as more pocketable than half a sack of potatoes is a motivating factor in this question.

Great responses so far, thanks for all the input.

I appreciate that new kit wonít make me take better pictures but it will encourage me to take a camera out with me which currently doesnít happen. The Sony is a great little point and shoot but sometimes feels too clunky, slow and overly complex in terms of menu navigation and options. The picture is gone before Iíve figured out the menu.

Hence, a camera that I have a degree of control over and settings I can navigate easily as well as more pocketable than half a sack of potatoes is a motivating factor in this question.
    Sony get a lot of stick for their menus!

How do you shoot your DLSR, the Fujis work well in aperture priority mode, having stops in 1/3 increments on the lens (not even Leica manage that on M glass) but only full stops on the SS dial

All fujis have a quick menu and the lastest ones have a my menu, that you can populate with stuff of your chosing (although not every menu item can be placed there)

Inspiration is a funny bugger... one manís goldmine is anotherís ďmehĒ

Ask yourself, what do you like taking pictures of? See how you answer, go out and make it so... if you love shooting street, a week away in the Lake District probably wonít deliver the goods etc

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    This is exactly the response I would have expected from a rabid Fuji user. How's anyone supposed to tell you're 'into' photography if you're not lugging around a rucksack full of lenses and massive Canon/Nikon strapped around your neck.

And who uses jpgs - sitting in a darkened room on all evening looking at a computer screen, spending hours converting RAW files and meddling with them in lightroom is what it's all about, isn't it?
    I used to think so too. These days I have lots of time to hang around on forums like this

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
    I used to think so too. These days I have lots of time to hang around on forums like this
    Me too. I've the same lenses as you and love the 35mm, although I'm thinking of a wide angle next, maybe the 14mm.

From your post it seems you want to downsize so you can actually take something out to shoot with, rather than looking at a big lump sitting in a draw and thinking....nah.

You're not limited to Fuji - Olympus, Panasonic and Sony all make cameras that would give you the tools to enjoy photography and dependent on the moment, light, composition etc, enable you to take wonderful images.

Since you've mentioned Fuji I'll give you my thoughts, since I moved from a Nikon D600 about 4.5 years ago mainly because I didn't want to carry a heavy set up whilst out walking for many hours. At that point I decided to buy a Fuji X-Pro1 (which I still have). Fuji has definitely improved on most of its weaknesses in the past few years, providing excellent image quality, good dynamic range, much, much better AF and AF tracking, and good high ISO performance. It's not a master at any of these though, just very good....probably good enough for most shooters, unless you demand the very highest performance.

Good things about Fuji? Most things are subjective but I think the lenses are optically brilliant - in fact, I don't think the sensor does some of the lenses justice. Fuji's optical stability is also very, very effective. If you don't want to post process your images then Fuji provides wonderful film simulations like Provia/Astia/Classic Chrome which look great. Fuji also provides updates to both camera bodies and lenses to fix issues and add more functionality; they do this even after the model has been superceded and a few years old.

In your shoes I would stick with smaller lenses as it would defeat the object if you bought something like the 16-55. Body wise? The X-T20 or X-E3 are small, but I would go for the X-T2 as it just feels better to use. Lenses? Lots of smallish ones that are great: 14, 18, 27, 35, 50, even 18-55 if you want a zoom.

I would go to a proper camera store and try some Fuji bodies to see if you like the ergonomics though. You might connect or you might not, especially coming from a DSLR it takes a while to adjust.

Evening all,

having arrived at the point where I can’t recall the last time I took my Canon 50D out (and genuinely am not sure where in the house it is) I’m contemplating getting rid of it all and going for something more compact and portable. I have a Sony RX100 Mk1 which is nice as compacts go but nothing like an SLR (and nor should it be) and so I’m looking at something like a Fuji X100 (T OR F), Fuji Xpro2, or something of this nature (smaller, maybe with interchangeable lenses but mostly portable).

Cheers
    Tim
    Last edited by Shane; 19th April 2018 at 11:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    From your post it seems you want to downsize so you can actually take something out to shoot with, rather than looking at a big lump sitting in a draw and thinking....nah.

Absolutely correct and thanks for the insights.

To adzman808's post most of my photography is probably "urban" and by urban I mean not wildlife or sport (so cityscapes, I don;t want to say "street" as that would be vastly over inflating my abilities and/or "style").

I've been using the 50mm prime mostly on the SLR so would consider a fast prime lens as most relevant to what i generally like to shoot. How did/do you find the xPro1? I'm looking at a used xpro2 body and maybe a 28 or 35mm lens to start with (if I go down that route), then I have the flexibility of zoom lenses (albeit half the size of Canon probably) in the future.

To be honest though, the degree of choice now is bewildering (I tried Micro 4/3 around 10 years ago and just didn't get on with it so have ruled that out).

Fuji X user here having switched from a Nikon DSLR to the X-T10 - absolutely love it - small, lightweight, image quality is superb (now better with the XTrans3 sensors), colour rendition is fab, settings on actual dials give you instant control, EVF's are superb, XF lenses are as good as it gets. Battery life can be limited, although I've never had an issue with it and the autofocus on the older XTrans sensors with some of the older lenses can be laggy or poor in low light, but firmware updates and the newer sensors (X100F, XPro2, X-T2) with the newer glass seems to be right up there - an acquaintance of mine works for a company who shoot F1 and they have switched their bodies to X-T2's).

For reference pretty much all the images on my site were shot with the X-T10 and XF18-55... www.ashsmithphoto.co.uk

I still love the X-Pro1! It's AF is not great compared with other cameras but I only used to shoot still life or things that were more still than moving :) If you don't intend to shoot anything that moves quickly you don't have to go with a current model; X-T1, X-T10, X-E2 would be fine. I've not used the X-Pro2 but if you like the rangefinder-like style then it would be an excellent choice.

If you like the 50mm focal length then you have the choice of the 35 f1.4 and 35 f2. My advice for cityscapes and street would be the 14 f2.8, but focal length preferences are very personal to the individual.

My other advice is to try and buy used; companies like MPB, London Camera Exchange, Park Cameras and Wex all have used sections. I wouldn't buy a brand new camera in your shoes - you can get excellent discounts if you search around.

To adzman808's post most of my photography is probably "urban" and by urban I mean not wildlife or sport (so cityscapes, I don;t want to say "street" as that would be vastly over inflating my abilities and/or "style").

I've been using the 50mm prime mostly on the SLR so would consider a fast prime lens as most relevant to what i generally like to shoot. How did/do you find the xPro1? I'm looking at a used xpro2 body and maybe a 28 or 35mm lens to start with (if I go down that route), then I have the flexibility of zoom lenses (albeit half the size of Canon probably) in the future.

To be honest though, the degree of choice now is bewildering (I tried Micro 4/3 around 10 years ago and just didn't get on with it so have ruled that out).
    Last edited by Shane; 19th April 2018 at 11:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    I still love the X-Pro1! It's AF is not great compared with other cameras but I only used to shoot still life or things that were more still than moving :) If you don't intend to shoot anything that moves quickly you don't have to go with a current model; X-T1, X-10, X-E2 would be fine. I've not used the X-Pro2 but if you like the rangefinder-like style then it would be an excellent choice.

If you like the 50mm focal length then you have the choice of the 35 f1.4 and 35 f2. My advice for cityscapes and street would be the 14 f2.8, but focal length preferences are very personal to the individual.

My other advice is to try and buy used; companies like MPB, London Camera Exchange, Park Cameras and Wex all have used sections. I wouldn't buy a brand new camera in your shoes - you can get excellent discounts if you search around.
    Thanks again Shane, I'm looking at MPB and Jessops used but will take a look at the others too. I'm still tempted by the X100T or F but wonder if I'm really ready for a fixed focal length lens all the time...

(Thanks Ash also)

As Shane says, Fuji have two 35s an older 1.4 and a newer f2 version

Personally I prefer the 1.4, but many select the f2 for the superior AF, weather sealing and build quality. (I like the 1.4 as it has a highly subjective non clinical charm to its images and because itís optically true and 1.4)

for 28 (which would be 18 on APSC) Fuji only make the 18, which isnít a bad lens, but far from their best. The 16mm is probably their best wide prime, but itís huge and expensive, so the 14mm might be the smartest choice in terms of size/cost/quality

I donít want to Ďmansplainí equivalence to you, but coming from FF to a smaller APSC format youíll need lenses that are approx 30% shorter, with a stop more aperture to replicate FF field of view and DOF. Or put another way, my fuji XF35 at F1.4 shows a view of the world thatís very similar to my 50mm summicron at f2

Equivalence is all very well and good, but people often overlook the fact that (say) an 18mm lens has more perspective distortion than a 28mm one, so where 18/2 on APSC will indeed look like 28/2.8 on FF, the 18mm will have more native field curvature, I donít mean fisheye distortion, but things like converging verticals

At the other end of course (say) 200mm on APSC gives the impression of getting you closer than 200mm does on FF (itís just a perception of course, in reality 200mm is 200mm, no matter what sensor itís in front of)

Iíve written numerous articles on the X-Pro 1 & 2, plus lenses etc, and in case itís of interest hereís a link to my contents page

https://adambonn.com/the-x-pro-series/

Master
    That's a very impressive X series write up Adam.

Than you for linking as it will help me out no end as I'm also looking at Fuji at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    That's a very impressive X series write up Adam.

Than you for linking as it will help me out no end as I'm also looking at Fuji at the moment.
    Thanks Ben,

If itís of interest to anyone... Thereís the usual options to follow the blog for updates or easier to look me up on twitter as adamjbonn as I always tweet when I write something, which is at least weekly

Thanks again Adam, to be honest Iím completely lost on choice and the more reading I do the more confused I get so having real world insights helps hugely.

Thanks again Adam, to be honest Iím completely lost on choice and the more reading I do the more confused I get so having real world insights helps hugely.
    No problem

FWIW, all the equipment Iíve written up on my site is mainly stuff Iíve paid my own money for and used pretty extensively over months/years and stuff that Iíve been loaned by Fuji, and the loan stuff they let me keep for about a month at a time

Also Fuji have no say or approval in what I write, and I have no Ďparty lineí to tow (Iím neither paid nor employed by Fuji)

For you, I would cast cameras to one side for a moment, and concentrate on lens.

Find the focal lengths you want and aperture speeds you need. See who makes these lenses and if youíre prepared to pay for them (I mean a Sony A9 and a ton of Zeiss would be great, but youíll be knocking on the door of decent secondhand car money in terms of expense)

Then chose the camera that fits on the back of them. Lenses you end in love with are keepers, theyíll be around longer than the camera (for example my xf35 has been through 6 fuji bodies!)

For urban, and with Fuji, a 23 and a 35 prime and the 18-55 zoom will probably deliver what you need. The fuji 18-55 zoom is a bit sharper in the corners (at 18) than the 18 prime is, and at 18mm itís only a stop slower and has image stabilisation. Itís a decent lens is that 18-55 way better than you get with a entry level canikon

Apprentice
    I am a huge fan of the Fuji X100F.

As a Street Photographer, it is the perfect camera for me and even better than my RicohGR II that I also love.

It is small and compact, has a very good image quality and the design is very retro which is great for my purpose.

I have to admit though that the camera is not for everyone. It has only a fixed prime lens of 35mm full frame equivalent and if You haven't any experience in shooting only with a prime lens and not having the option to zoom, then the camera might not be good for You.

On the other hand, the new Fuji X-E3 is also great and all in all You are not doing a mistake by going for the Fuji. It depends on what You are looking for and what Your budget is that You are willing to spend.

Thanks for all the inputs so far gentlemen (and ladies if there were any).

After reading multiple reviews and hearing all the advice here Iíve still yet to go and physically handle any of the Fujiís. I dropped into Jessica (autocorrect gave me that, I mean Jessops of course but I like Jessica) but since I was in a rush didnít get the chance to handle them and play around. One thing that did strike me was how big the x-pro2 appeared to be in the cabinet vs the other cameras. Is that fair or just a perspective when seen close up against the XT-2, XE-3 and itís ilk?

In the interim Iíve picked some filters for my sony to play around with before making my ultimate decision. At present the XE-3 looks to be the front runner although an optical viewfinder appeals hugely.