closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Close Shave - Beware of eBay Seller

Exclamation Close Shave - Beware of eBay Seller

Folks,

Just had a close shave with a buyer on eBay called reikidi100746, he has a great 489 review points but it did not smell right. He asked me to invoice directly via PayPal to a yandex.com domain (full address withheld), the messages he sent were very odd for someone purchasing an expensive watch so I sent him an offer via eBay and it all went very quite.

I called eBay today and the email address for the PayPal account has been associated with a number of compromised eBay accounts, I had to do some pushing with eBay until they admitted it did not smell right either, there is a good chance the eBay user is unaware of this issue but has not had feedback since Aug last year, he has been a member since 06.

So really just a heads up and I will use SC first next time!

Cheers

Eddie

Update: eBay have now confirmed they are investigating the user fully.
    Last edited by Arcam; 18th April 2018 at 18:49. Reason: Additional info

Master
    Glad you smelt a Rat Eddie, well done mate.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

So just what are eBay doing to protect their users ? Sweet FA it sounds like to me !

I've seen the same account used to list items many times on Gumtree. I've reported it, and they remove the listing, but it's soon back.

I think a class action based on "duty of care" would make all such web based companys put more effort in.

Glad you escaped, this time !

Quote Originally Posted by Gren View Post
    So just what are eBay doing to protect their users ? Sweet FA it sounds like to me !

I've seen the same account used to list items many times on Gumtree. I've reported it, and they remove the listing, but it's soon back.

I think a class action based on "duty of care" would make all such web based companys put more effort in.

Glad you escaped, this time !
    What hacked me off the most was after pushing eBay on this they told me that particural PayPal account had been used on a number of compromised eBay accounts!

WTF, surely block the use of that PP account and get PP to investigate.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I had a similar bogus, well I didn't respond, too good to be true offer to buy my watch outside eBay via paypal to the address Ppsesq@yandex.com

I imagine its the same cheeky monkey

Craftsman
    Glad you caught on before it was too late.

I've given up trying to sell high value items on eBay, it's simply too risky these days

Just got this from eBay

"We think eBay account reikidi100746 has been used without the account owner's permission, so we're now restoring it to them. To protect this member's privacy, we can't share any more details about their account.'

There is a load more with the email l have not included as it is pretty much about how to deal with fraud, if there is interest I will post the lot

Don't eBay clearly say do not accept offers or make transactions outside of eBay?

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Don't eBay clearly say do not accept offers or make transactions outside of eBay?
    Yep

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by simonsays View Post
    I had a similar bogus, well I didn't respond, too good to be true offer to buy my watch outside eBay via paypal to the address Ppsesq@yandex.com

Interesting. So paypal must only be used with ebay? If you use paypal outside ebay, does that offer less protection? Sorry if silly question.

Quote Originally Posted by simonsays View Post

I've had exactly the same an hour ago, asking to send an invoice outside of eBay but via PayPal. I declined as I wouldn't be covered with sellers protection.

wonderfulpearl7@yandex.com
    Username kimbeus

There Is a theme running here with that Domain for the email address.

You still get some protection through PP, just don't know how much.

It looks like the yandex.com domain is the scammers domain of choice for email addresses, I have had several more from "different" eBay users all with yandex.com domain addresses trying to get me to invoice them directly and offering full price or better!

Thanks for the heads up on this. There will always be scammers, and its posts like this that help keep all of us safe. Thanks again