closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Summer Tyres

Summer Tyres

Everyone changed their tyres?

Winter one's put away until September?

Running a FWD car so winters not quite as important for me but I've been running Pilot Sport 4s through the winter which were more than adequate, though only because they're easily one of the best non semi-slick summer tyres available on 16" wheels, the tyres I bought the car with were shocking below 5 degrees.

The PS4s are just ridiculously good now the weather is consistently going above 10 degrees, I will probably keep them on until going over to winters in October.

Strangely my colleague keeps his winters on all year round doing mainly motorway miles. He has got 40k miles out of his current set on an A5 3.0TDI Quattro.

Craftsman
    I swapped my summers wheels over last weekend - well I paid someone £20 to save my back :)

Feels good to be back on Pilot Super Sports after 18 months as I was too lazy to swap them last summer.

Master
    Don't see the point anymore as all season tyres i.e Cross Climate are now so good not worth the effort.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Don't see the point anymore as all season tyres i.e Cross Climate are now so good not worth the effort.
    I agree... unless you have a performance car

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    I agree for many the Cross Climates are a great compromise, but my winter wheels are narrower with less offset so are easier not to kerb in the winter when cant see the kerbs so well, and the tyres are higher profile so give a more flexible ride in the winter.

By swapping I get the best of both worlds but quite understand why many be happy with cross climates provided come in correct sizes.

Amazingly I managed to get through the winter without winter tyres, so I'm not running sub optimal tyres now ;)

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Best part of a £1000 quids worth of new Michelin Pilot sports..

Put the summers back on at the weekend, and already missing the softer ride of the winters.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post
    Put the summers back on at the weekend, and already missing the softer ride of the winters.
    Me too!

That's the Winters away until about November for me

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Best part of a £1000 quids worth of new Michelin Pilot sports..
    Are these Pilot Super Sports? I can't quite make it out.

If so, did you look into their replacements, PS4Ss?

Summer wheels/tyres went on a couple of weekends ago and the Winters will see the light of day again in around November. I change them myself and find it takes a little under an hour to do.
    Last edited by Skier; 18th April 2018 at 23:26.

Craftsman
    Had mine switch over last Monday (9/4), hadn't taken the car (BMW 440 coupe) out since driving it straight home after - given the very decent weather today I headed out over the peak district (New Mills / Hatfield / Glossop / Charlesworth) around 18.30 for what the aviation types call a non-deterioration run ...

It's nowhere near run in (year old and 5k on the clock) as I've been using the train to work as my previous 428 did 35k in 2.5 years - so good to give it a work out at last ... spinning the wheels changing into 3rd @ 60+ (up hill) was fun

Craftsman
    I’ve got exactly the same mode of transport as Enoch. Great for popping down the shops.
    The Dahon fold-up, not the 'stang!

Master
    I use the same tyres all year round, I just vary my driving style to suit the road conditions.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve27752 View Post
    I use the same tyres all year round, I just vary my driving style to suit the road conditions.
    Here we go again. Another Flat Earther!

Cross Climates for me

Craftsman
    Yep changed last weekend and promptly had a huge screw embedded, luckily it hadn't gone right through.

Will be getting cross climates when my winters need replacing.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hoopsontoast View Post
    Cross Climates for me
    Same, only downside I found was a slight reduced MPG.

Michelin Cross Climates. Not noticed any change to mpg but of course they aren't run flat. Not that I care as I have a pump and filler in case of a slow flat, but if you are paranoid about a blow out then perhaps there's a disadvantage.

Otherwise they are bloody great on my RWD.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Trying to psyche myself up to changing over, but I’ve got a bit of a bad back at the moment, and it’s quite an effort swapping and stacking them. If I could get the Michelin CC’s in the size I need, I’d have them.

Quote Originally Posted by baz1 View Post
    Same, only downside I found was a slight reduced MPG.
    I've not noticed any change as yet....

Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    Trying to psyche myself up to changing over, but I’ve got a bit of a bad back at the moment, and it’s quite an effort swapping and stacking them. If I could get the Michelin CC’s in the size I need, I’d have them.
    I had to go from 205/50/R17 to 215/45/R17 to get some CC's to fit my Celica, slightly bigger but quite commonly used on this model.

I had to go from 205/50/R17 to 215/45/R17 to get some CC's to fit my Celica, slightly bigger but quite commonly used on this model.
    The problem is that (if I’ve read it right) they do very few sizes in 18”, and nothing 19” or above. If you’ve got a 4x4 or larger family car, you’re a bit snookered.

Craftsman
    The proper way to do it is a separate set of wheels, ideally a smaller diameter and narrower section, you can then put a better suited winter tyre.

Change your 18" and 19" for a set of "15 or 16". Cheaper, more readily available and better in winter conditions anyway.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by anz3001 View Post
    The proper way to do it is a separate set of wheels, ideally a smaller diameter and narrower section, you can then put a better suited winter tyre.

Change your 18" and 19" for a set of "15 or 16". Cheaper, more readily available and better in winter conditions anyway.
    Assuming your 18/19” alloys are just vanity wheels & not hiding massive brake set ups, of which 15/16” just isn’t possible.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Here we go again. Another Flat Earther!
    No not at all, just speaking the truth..............A lot of people cannot drive no matter what tyres they use.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Assuming your 18/19” alloys are just vanity wheels & not hiding massive brake set ups, of which 15/16” just isn’t possible.

Yes, fair point.

For the first year ever I’m sticking with the Winters on the practical family hack, no great difference in this warm dry weather and poles apart in rain and snow especially. Granted a performance car deserves the best rubber you can afford and a swap from summers to winters but any average car is as well off on winters all year. Even my local cabbies think so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No not at all, just speaking the truth..............A lot of people cannot drive no matter what tyres they use.
    Mwhahaha.

Master
    Cross Climates for me
    Yup me too. Same set been on 32,000 miles Honda Civic Tourer. Rears 6 mm fronts 3 mm .

Yes I know I drive like a nun etc...............

Will replace fronts in autumn, delighted with them.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    For the first year ever I’m sticking with the Winters on the practical family hack, no great difference in this warm dry weather and poles apart in rain and snow especially. Granted a performance car deserves the best rubber you can afford and a swap from summers to winters but any average car is as well off on winters all year. Even my local cabbies think so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The wear rates will increase significantly.

Cabbies don’t care because they rarely buy new.

The Subaru is back on Summer tyres, happy Scooby!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    The problem is that (if I’ve read it right) they do very few sizes in 18”, and nothing 19” or above. If you’ve got a 4x4 or larger family car, you’re a bit snookered.
    I've got 19" alloys on my Skoda Kodiaq and I fitted all season tyres. Went with Vredstein Quatrac 5, they're excellent on snow and see, just as good in warmer weather as the OE summer tyres.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I swapped over at the weekend. My winters are down to 3.5-4.5mm and weren't quite as effective this winter as previously so I think I will change them in time for November. I have a BMW on 18" runflats and there are no Michelin CC available in my size so am looking at the Bridgestone Driveguard Winter tyres. These are relatively new and advertised as cheaper and much more compliant than trad run flats Anyone tried them? or their summer equivalent?

I have Michelin PS4s on my 911 (2wd) and some Pirelli Sottozeros for November to April. That's £2000 of tyres, but they will last me twice a long as £1000 of tyres!

But, in the bad snow this year, and we had a foot or two in Cumbria, I took my wife's X3 out every day in the snow.

Weird eh, but why on earth would I chance the 911 in the snow, when her 4x4 is the obvious choice.

Also it wears Pirelli Scorpion Verde, which is their all season tyre, and has some great sipes for snow.

Cumbria, gotta be prepared!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Literally got the car 3 weeks ago and lo and behold today:

Absolutely maddening, no rim damage or evidence of curbing at all so no idea what has caused this. I've got 5mm left on the opposite front so popping on a new like-for-like tomorrow. I was rather hoping to run them all down and swap to non-RFT Michelin PS4S but that might have to wait now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gromdal View Post
    Literally got the car 3 weeks ago and lo and behold today:

Absolutely maddening, no rim damage or evidence of curbing at all so no idea what has caused this. I've got 5mm left on the opposite front so popping on a new like-for-like tomorrow. I was rather hoping to run them all down and swap to non-RFT Michelin PS4S but that might have to wait now.
    Annoying isn’t it. I had a bulge on my JCW RFT and had too much tread on all the tyres to get rid of them all to swap for PSS, just out a set on the M last summer & they are great. Might not wear as well as PS4 but I love the tyre.

Quote Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
    I have Michelin PS4s on my 911 (2wd)

I’ve heard nothing but good things about the PS4’s. How have you found them on the Porsche?

Awesome

Trouble is, when they let go, I'll be travelling even faster than I was before on the PS2s

The car is so much better at driving than I am.

Big thumbs up for a fast road tyre, ( as opposed to decent track tyre)

Expensive though, but if they last a while....

I have not driven PS4Ss but as above and in my earlier post, PS4s are by far the best road tyre I've driven, having had them on both a hot hatch and a barge of a Lexus.

The only reason I would NOT recommend them is if you're driving a car purely for fun and want to bring the limit of performance/grip down so you can enjoy and learn the car on the edge while travelling much more slowly. I will be replacing my PS4s with something less grippy because they are 'too good', effectively.

Just had 2x Michelin Pilot Sport 4’s fitted to our Qashqai and I’ve noticed a big difference. Can’t wait for the other two tyres to wear down enough to have them all on PS4s. Would have had them all changed but they’re a very expensive tyre for a Qashqai (£345 fitted) and the other two wheels had 4mm left as it’s a 2WD car so wasn’t much point.

Craftsman
    I have never changed tyres from winter to summer etc.
    Is it anything more than a fad in England created by tyre manufacturers ?

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post
    Is it anything more than a fad in England created by tyre manufacturers ?
    Yes.

🤦*♂️
    Last edited by Bravo73; 30th April 2018 at 20:09.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I had to de-ice the windscreen this morning (1st May)... I am going to leave my Cooper Weathermasters on for another summer as the performance benefit in the wet MASSIVELY outweighs the performance benefit of summer tyres in the dry - an XC90 has no performance at any time TBH.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 5