closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Your Pay Rise

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Get ready for job cuts to fund pay rises and keep the wage bill the same.
    If only 😭

Master
    We got 4.5% but the parent company that we contract for has shut 3 sites and made hundreds redundant. It’s not the downturn that’s caused the shutdowns as they’ve spent £13m in our place and have just built a mega factory in Sweden to cater for general demand European wide.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Private sector, 10% increase plus two cost of heating payments in Jan and June. Full 100% bonus payout too.

Not in Westminster though!

What is interesting is that almost without much exception, from a salary point of view we are all becoming poorer.

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

Already happening in some sectors

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    We’ve done it in some markets, waiting for it here next. On a spreadsheet I’m an easy cash save. Gulp.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Very obvious strategy in retail where my wife works.

Nothing for me again, I'm self-employed and the industry I work in is not reviewing any prices, fee's for the surveyors (me) are the same as they were five years ago. The contractors that carry out the work have not had any increases in either materials or labour costs.

After 23 years, I'm seriously looking at walking away from it and doing something different.

Master
    Yes, happening in my place. Even I was forced to put one person on notice but then another one resigned so I was saved from it. Toughest part of the job but obviously more difficult for the person receiving it. What a relief.

While I understand that strategy, so many places seem to be really struggling to recruit to positions that it doesn't feel realistic to cut posts. Perhaps in some inefficient and overstaffed places but how many of them are still around?

Although I speak from the position of an NHS worker in the process of being merged and with the stated aim of reducing the size of the new merged organisation by 6000 people!

Quote Originally Posted by ant8519 View Post
    Although I speak from the position of an NHS worker in the process of being merged and with the stated aim of reducing the size of the new merged organisation by 6000 people!
    That’ll reduce the wage bill nicely, and someone will get a nice bonus

Master
    While I understand that strategy, so many places seem to be really struggling to recruit to positions that it doesn't feel realistic to cut posts. Perhaps in some inefficient and overstaffed places but how many of them are still around?
    In most cases it doesn't affect the top-performers, rather the other end of the spectrum relative to peers at similar levels of role and pay. Neither justifying nor opposing the strategy - just explaining my understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    In most cases it doesn't affect the top-performers, rather the other end of the spectrum relative to peers at similar levels of role and pay. Neither justifying nor opposing the strategy - just explaining my understanding of it.
    I don’t understand what you are saying

Or are you saying, if you are in the club you won’t get culled?

Master
    I don’t understand what you are saying

Or are you saying, if you are in the club you won’t get culled?
    I am saying when headcount reduction is inevitable, whether due to true market pressures or to fund compensation increase to retain (perceived or truly) high-performing staff, it's mostly the low-performers that get selected for the cull. I'm sure there are people who know how to play the game well so they avoid ending up as the latter but in my experience they get found out eventually.

Yes - the Secretary of State. Technically the taxpayer too, but I doubt we will see any of it. Plus, the NHS has form for cutting too deep and then overpaying to correct the inevitable shortages.

Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    I am saying when headcount reduction is inevitable, whether due to true market pressures or to fund compensation increase to retain (perceived or truly) high-performing staff, it's mostly the low-performers that get selected for the cull. I'm sure there are people who know how to play the game well so they avoid ending up as the latter but in my experience they get found out eventually.
    In truth most decisions are made for whatever reason first and then the scoring is made to fit.

NHS doesn't do bonuses, but if it's the merger I'm thinking of PA Consulting are getting £13m to "manage" it...

Yes and not doing a particularly good job. 22 days to go and we don’t even know whether our email accounts will remain active yet!

Ironically there are not enough medical professionals or social care staff to do the job as it stands. How reducing the number of either/both is supposed to improve the system I don't know. Cynics may come to the conclusion that it is a good way to break the system ripe for a sell-off.

Not just cynics. Open discussion in my area. A lot of money to be made by unscrupulous free marketeers. Meanwhile the country spends its time worrying whether Gary Lineker is a closet communist!

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Pox View Post
    NHS doesn't do bonuses, but if it's the merger I'm thinking of PA Consulting are getting £13m to "manage" it...
    My ex wife was the FD of a large NHS trust, one of the reasons she jacked it in was they won’t give deserving staff pay increases but would happily fork out millions to management consultants, she recently told me it’s ten time worse now, it’s a great club to be in.

I have worked in charity sector and universities as well as NHS and have seen them all use external consultants to little or no discernible benefit. They turn up, charge a fortune, mess everything up and then get out before the negative results of their meddling can be fully understood.

My ex wife was the FD of a large NHS trust, one of the reasons she jacked it in was they won’t give deserving staff pay increases but would happily fork out millions to management consultants, she recently told me it’s ten time worse now, it’s a great club to be in.
    We were being told every year that it was going to be tough financially and that we had to find savings. Being from the private sector previously I was used to financial bonuses and other incentives so I suggested that they tell people that there would be a share of the costs savings available to them. I was told that wasn't lawful in the public sector. They did say that there was the possibility of a book token, but it would be limited to £50.

Perhaps I had the wrong attitude in expecting incentives from the public sector. Nonetheless I made about 10-15 suggestions one year and they included removing all of the fax machines and stop paying for the extra lines that were needed. They could have a fax server if they really needed one. I also suggested that we should use the photocopiers (actually multi-function devices MFD) to print to rather than at least one printer in every office, especially as one department were using about 50 toner cartridges a year in their desktop colour printer at god knows what cost per copy. I thought that we should move away from Microsoft products, especially Office. I thought that we should stop renting buildings to store patient records in because we had no more space, and instead just scan everything to an electronic record.

All of the ideas were rejected, but over the years they started to happen, with the removal of the faxes first, followed by linking everyone to the photocopiers/MFD. Patient records started to be scanned, but the old records were left as paper records. They stayed wedded to Microsoft for which they get billed huge amounts of money. I can't imagine that changing any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    We were being told every year that it was going to be tough financially and that we had to find savings. Being from the private sector previously I was used to financial bonuses and other incentives so I suggested that they tell people that there would be a share of the costs savings available to them. I was told that wasn't lawful in the public sector. They did say that there was the possibility of a book token, but it would be limited to £50.

Perhaps I had the wrong attitude in expecting incentives from the public sector. Nonetheless I made about 10-15 suggestions one year and they included removing all of the fax machines and stop paying for the extra lines that were needed. They could have a fax server if they really needed one. I also suggested that we should use the photocopiers (actually multi-function devices MFD) to print to rather than at least one printer in every office, especially as one department were using about 50 toner cartridges a year in their desktop colour printer at god knows what cost per copy. I thought that we should move away from Microsoft products, especially Office. I thought that we should stop renting buildings to store patient records in because we had no more space, and instead just scan everything to an electronic record.

All of the ideas were rejected, but over the years they started to happen, with the removal of the faxes first, followed by linking everyone to the photocopiers/MFD. Patient records started to be scanned, but the old records were left as paper records. They stayed wedded to Microsoft for which they get billed huge amounts of money. I can't imagine that changing any time soon.
    Scanning of patient records is actually outsourced to the NHSBSA. Perhaps there’s a legal reason for the hard copy records to be kept for a certain period of time?

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Scanning of patient records is actually outsourced to the NHSBSA. Perhaps there’s a legal reason for the hard copy records to be kept for a certain period of time?
    I was certainly told that the records had to be retained for a period of time (perhaps 7 years after death - though I may be mistaken), but no-one mentioned that they were being stored because they couldn't be scanned. The suggestion seemed to be the time that it would take. Periodically (monthly?) the time-expired records would be removed, whilst new records of the recently deceased would be fed into the building.

I was certainly told that the records had to be retained for a period of time (perhaps 7 years after death - though I may be mistaken), but no-one mentioned that they were being stored because they couldn't be scanned. The suggestion seemed to be the time that it would take. Periodically (monthly?) the time-expired records would be removed, whilst new records of the recently deceased would be fed into the building.
    Probably more of a question of ramping up the scanning capabilities. Ironically, the scanning facility required real estate too, of course (I was interim Head of Estates at the NHSBSA for a while, so had some visibility).

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Wouldn’t ISO27001 have changed all that, or does it only apply to suppliers

SydR

Your Pay Rise

I was certainly told that the records had to be retained for a period of time (perhaps 7 years after death - though I may be mistaken),.
    From a medical device recording perspective I know there is retention for neonates / paediatrics where records need to be kept for up to 7 years after the person turns 18. We are therefore obliged to keep records for up to 25 years where neonates / paediatric patients are included.

Records for any other equipment must be kept for 7 years after it is decommissioned.

Master
    Average pay rise for my grade was 6.75%, I got 4.2%. I think they’re trying to tell me something.

Master
    I add a fiver per hour to my hourly rate each October the 1st, have done that for the last eight years. None of my clients have ever mentioned it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    From a medical device recording perspective I know there is retention for neonates / paediatrics where records need to be kept for up to 7 years after the person turns 18. We are therefore obliged to keep records for up to 25 years where neonates / paediatric patients are included.

Records for any other equipment must be kept for 7 years after it is decommissioned.
    Some medical record retention is over 30 years and in some cases, indefinite. This was brought in due to issues like the haemophilia/CJD contamination.

Having said this, I also know for fact that the area of the NHS I'm familiar with retains records for far too long, simply because they have no proper visibility of what it is and don't have the manpower to go and look at it all. Our main file store has 32 million files on it and in the past classification of data was poor to non-existent...

On-topic. The Scottish NHS pay settlement for last year and this is very reasonable in my view - 13% over 2 years, though they did pull a fast one by including a one-off payment in 2023 (presumably to avoid the effect that higher salaries have on future pensions?).
    Last edited by Scepticalist; 10th March 2023 at 10:02.

SydR
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Some medical record retention is over 30 years and in some cases, indefinite. This was brought in due to issues like the haemophilia/CJD contamination. .
    Yes, we have some equipment that falls into that category.

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Having said this, I also know for fact that the area of the NHS I'm familiar with retains records for far too long, simply because they have no proper visibility of what it is and don't have the manpower to go and look at it all. Our main file store has 32 million files on it and in the past classification of data was poor to non-existent..

We went through our records last year and now have them sorted in order of disposal dates. Was long overdue, and a lot was gotten rid of as a result. Manpower to do it is one issue but also determining which retention category different items need to be considered under is also a challenge. In many cases, where there has been doubt, it defaults to the longest period.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    I add a fiver per hour to my hourly rate each October the 1st, have done that for the last eight years. None of my clients have ever mentioned it.
    So if your working say a 40hr week, that’s £10.4K pay rise every year, equalling a £80K+ pay rise in 8yrs alone without taking into account your salary before hand!! That’s some clients you have there.

Quote Originally Posted by Browners View Post
    So if your working say a 40hr week, that’s £10.4K pay rise every year, equalling a £80K+ pay rise in 8yrs alone without taking into account your salary before hand!! That’s some clients you have there.
    It would be interesting to know what industry he’s in, certainly not manufacturing

Quote Originally Posted by Browners View Post
    Contractors are significantly cheaper than PAYE employees. It may seem like a lot of money, but it is a drop in the ocean for most large very profitable companies.

My internal charge out rate is over times the cost to employ a Contractor to do the same job.

Master
    When the annual pay review talk starts with talking up the benefits package and even describes opportunities as a benefit you know not to expect much interns of extra cash.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Contractors are significantly cheaper than PAYE employees. It may seem like a lot of money, but it is a drop in the ocean for most large very profitable companies.

My internal charge out rate is over times the cost to employ a Contractor to do the same job.
    100% this, the cost my employer charged me out at per day for my consulting role was almost 10 times what I could charge when I had my own company & my own day rate.

It is truly scary what people will pay for a 'consulting brand' when they have a project.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    100% this, the cost my employer charged me out at per day for my consulting role was almost 10 times what I could charge when I had my own company & my own day rate.

It is truly scary what people will pay for a 'consulting brand' when they have a project.
    Also it’s flexible for the businesses. Contractors can and are regularly cut loose due to the need easing/disappearing.

Your Pay Rise

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Also it’s flexible for the businesses. Contractors can and are regularly cut loose due to the need easing/disappearing.
    I am in O&G and was a Contractor for a while, but then went staff for the non-contributory final salary pension.

I have seen Contract rates double and then halve, and then, sometimes several years later recover. Whereas, a permie you get consistency and your salary doesn’t go down, as long as you don’t get made redundant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    I am in O&G and was a Contractor for a while, but then went staff for the non-contributory final salary pension.

I have seen Contract rates double and then halve, and then, sometimes several years later recover. Whereas, a permie you get consistency and your salary doesn’t go down, as long as you don’t get made redundant.

There will always be an element of flux. Each role will mean a possible variance in pay. Being let go at short notice is a risk. However, I have seen many banks go through structural changes and make many people redundant. Some with trivial pay outs. My entire division was made redundant 18 months after I left at one organisation. There is no security, at least not in finance and project environments. I earn around 60% more contracting than if I were perm when I consider the package I could get for my current role. That takes into consideration holiday, and benefits etc.

It’s my preference but it’s not for everyone.
    Last edited by Stuno1; 10th March 2023 at 21:24.

Master

Love to join a final salary for my final push, regardless of role.

My first 2 jobs were final salary but limited opportunity and no chance of enjoying a retirement.

Craftsman
    In O&G and astonished to get 6 per cent this year, nothing for the last 4 years though

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

8.7%...the 2022 increase in the U.S. CPI.

Just heard… 7%, on top of the reduced (from 10% to 6%) bonus. Could be worse, I suppose.

Master
    7% on the base isn’t bad.

Our company doesn’t seem to get that prices for products won’t go back down but the growth will slow. Makes me reconsider where I’m working tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael27 View Post
    In O&G and astonished to get 6 per cent this year, nothing for the last 4 years though

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk
    If you can’t get a decent pay rise in O&G this year you never will.

My bonus was 1.62 times my on target bonus this year, and that was across the board for most people, and pretty much independent of performance.

But, I have had zero bonus in the past, and do realise that many/most people don’t have a package which includes a bonus, so realise I am fortunate to get anything g.

Best bonus I have ever had in O&G by a country mile. Unfortunately the Chancellors paws are all over it.

Craftsman
    Lancaster / Stavanger / Fishguard, Norway / UK
    O&G also and got 5% last year and yet to hear on this years number.

Bonus came in about 2/3 of target level. Cyclical business so not surprised the consultant rates go up and down with the demand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    7% on the base isn’t bad.

Our company doesn’t seem to get that prices for products won’t go back down but the growth will slow. Makes me reconsider where I’m working tbh.
    Last year was 5% pay rise and 10% bonus. Over the two years I’m reasonably happy although obviously still well behind inflation on the pay front. I’m also annoyed that bonuses across the board have been capped this year - my own targets have all been exceeded. (For context I’m responsible for 32 people and a circa £10m P&L, so it’s not a small remit.)
    Last edited by learningtofly; 15th March 2023 at 13:20.