closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Oysterquartz 17000 and 19019.

Master

Oysterquartz 17000 and 19019.

I've always admired the OQ. Here is mine.

My son has just got this. The white gold 19019.
    screenshot on pc

It feels heavier than my steel version and the bracelet is exquisite.

They seem to be quite rare.
    Last edited by NOODLES25; 16th April 2018 at 19:06.

Craftsman
    I also love the design of these, but the service costs have so far kept me away from purchasing one.

Both nice, but the Day-Dates are a little special :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ollipekka View Post
    I also love the design of these, but the service costs have so far kept me away from purchasing one.
    An RSC service is around £500, which is a similar cost to a regular Datejust.

Master
    The PM Oysterquartz are stunning but I’ll have to stick with my SS for now, where did he get it from?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NOODLES25 View Post
    An RSC service is around £500, which is a similar cost to a regular Datejust.
    Yeah. A quartz watch with the service costs of a mechanical (best case). That's "value" right there.

Lovely watches, they feel so solid. Not exactly the biggest success by Rolex (sales wise), but absolutely fabulous IMO in every other respect.

Who cares that they cost a similar price to service to a mechanical, the movement on these is just a thing of beauty & not your ordinary quartz, more like a mechanical quartz !

Master
    Are they 36mm ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Are they 36mm ?
    They are.

I love the case shape. Perversely I've always fancied the 1630 model which is an Automatic movement in the OQ case.

I love the OysterQuartz models, had 1 or 2 myself.

The PM models are a bit rarer, WG even rarer. I think they fantastic and would love one one day.

James

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ollipekka View Post
    Had my 17000 serviced by Rolex last year -- first service in thirty years. Cost about £550 (or, less than £20 per year of ownership) and it came back like new. Doesn't seem excessive to me.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ETCHY View Post
    Lovely watches, they feel so solid. Not exactly the biggest success by Rolex (sales wise), but absolutely fabulous IMO in every other respect.

Who cares that they cost a similar price to service to a mechanical, the movement on these is just a thing of beauty & not your ordinary quartz, more like a mechanical quartz !
    Absolutely. But let's not allow the mech/engineering or the fact that it was designed to be serviced rather than discarded get in the way of puffing on the internet. Always "value" in that

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    I love the case shape. Perversely I've always fancied the 1630 model which is an Automatic movement in the OQ case.
    Indeed. This was on an integrated jubilee bracelet. The 1530 was on an integrated oyster bracelet.

Master

These are gorgeous watches and hold a lot more interest for me over a more commonly seen mechanical datejust, would love one.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Absolutely. But let's not allow the mech/engineering or the fact that it was designed to be serviced rather than discarded get in the way of puffing on the internet. Always "value" in that
    It turns out that the OQ movements were by far the most costly for the company to produce at the time, too. It’s obvious that a lot of effort went into their manufacture and finishing:

It’s built quite similarly to their mechanical movements, but the power flow is reversed; a stepper motor drives the geartrain using a pallet fork, instead of the geartrain driving the escapement using tension supplied by the mainspring.

The distinctive metallic “snick-snack” of the OQ sounds very mechanical because it is, and the seconds hand moves in a very precise and bounce-free way that’s unique to these underappreciated watches.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    It turns out that the OQ movements were by far the most costly for the company to produce at the time, too. It’s obvious that a lot of effort went into their manufacture and finishing:

It’s built quite similarly to their mechanical movements, but the power flow is reversed; a stepper motor drives the geartrain using a pallet fork, instead of the geartrain driving the escapement using tension supplied by the mainspring.

The distinctive metallic “snick-snack” of the OQ sounds very mechanical because it is, and the seconds hand moves in a very precise and bounce-free way that’s unique to these underappreciated watches.

The drive mechanism for the 5035/5055 is very similar to the design of a traditional mechanical watch escapement. The pulse motor drives a pallet fork which in turn moves a pallet wheel. This wheel drives the second hand at a 1:1 ratio with one tick per second. The hour and minute hands are driven off this pallet wheel. The loud tick you hear every second are the pallets engaging the pallet wheel.

Master
    The white gold 19019 is exceptionally rare.

I have had perhaps half a dozen of the yellow gold 19018 through the years, typically with sloppy bracelets.

A 19019 in the condition which that one appears to be should increasingly be a treasured piece. Bravo!

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post

That movement is simply stunning IMO, it's right up there with the most attractive mechanical ones for me. Always seemed a shame Rolex hid it behind a solid caseback it's so pretty & interesting to look at.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    The white gold 19019 is exceptionally rare.

I have had perhaps half a dozen of the yellow gold 19018 through the years, typically with sloppy bracelets.

A 19019 in the condition which that one appears to be should increasingly be a treasured piece. Bravo!
    Thanks Haywood.

It is indeed in superb order. I would imagine out of the roughly 25,000 OQ's produced only a small percentage would have been WG.