closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Recommend me a watch winder for moonwatch

Recommend me a watch winder for moonwatch

I'm finding winding my Speedmaster a little tricky as the crown isn't that bit and it seems to slip on my fingers a little.

I've seen little extension bars that sit on the crown as a "crown extension" if you like, but I'm concerned about damaging/scratching the watch.

Any suggestions that'll make the daily winding easier but won't risk making a mess of the watch?

Master
    I don’t think they would make something like this if it would easily scratch the watch.

I guess I'll have to measure my crown and try one

Is it a new watch? When I first got my moonwatch I found it difficult to wind but after a month or so it really loosened up and now winds easily.

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    Is it a new watch? When I first got my moonwatch I found it difficult to wind but after a month or so it really loosened up and now winds easily.
    About a week. I'll persevere.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    I'm finding winding my Speedmaster a little tricky as the crown isn't that bit and it seems to slip on my fingers a little.

I've seen little extension bars that sit on the crown as a "crown extension" if you like, but I'm concerned about damaging/scratching the watch.

Any suggestions that'll make the daily winding easier but won't risk making a mess of the watch?
    A Saturn 5, not the cheapest option at around 25 billion quid in today's money, the zero gravity should help. but hey it's a moonwatch, why skimp?

Can't you ask Mrs Gyp to do it for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Can't you ask Mrs Gyp to do it for you?
    I would do but as "Laura Ashley had a sale on" and I can't see her over the cushion Jenga in our living room

Quote Originally Posted by Bayleaf View Post
    A Saturn 5, not the cheapest option at around 25 billion quid in today's money, the zero gravity should help. but hey it's a moonwatch, why skimp?
    Hang on, let me check behind the sofa...

Craftsman
    I guess I'll have to measure my crown and try one
    I used to use one on a Reverso, never made a mark. Picked it up on fleabay, but posh expensive ones are also on the market

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I also use one of these crown winder tools - i put it in the chuck of a cordless drill on speed 2 and the watch is wound in a coupla` seconds!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EJL25 View Post
    I don’t think they would make something like this if it would easily scratch the watch.
    hi,if you look at the crown guards on a modern speedy moon i think they would negate the use of this tool.much as i love my speedy ,winding it isnt the easiest for a manual wind watch due to the guards..

Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    hi,if you look at the crown guards on a modern speedy moon i think they would negate the use of this tool.much as i love my speedy ,winding it isnt the easiest for a manual wind watch due to the guards..
    I think you're right. Viewed from the face it looks like it would fit, but closed inspection from the side/bottom suggests that the tool wouldn't go on.

As you say, the crown guards would get in the way

Master
    ^ it definitely loosens up with use. Stick with it. Definitely tricky if you’ve got bad hands / fingers though.

Recommend me a watch winder for moonwatch

Have you seen the crowns on some vintage hand wind 33/34mm watches, I can understand a tool for those but the Speedy is a big watch with a big crown, also I find it very easy to wind as it’s not stiff at all.

Must say it’s very satisfying winding a watch and putting it to your ear to listen to the beat..
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 14th April 2018 at 08:02.

Master
    Blog Entries
    From new mine was quite tricky to wind. After a service it's much much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Have you seen the crowns on some vintage hand wind 33/34mm watches, I can understand a tool for those but the Speedy is a big watch with a big crown, also I find it very easy to wind as it’s not stiff at all.
    I think for me it's that the crown guards limit the amount of the crown that contacts my fingers and I can't manage to get that good a grip.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Must say it’s very satisfying winding a watch and putting it to your ear to listen to the beat..
    But not as nice to listen to as a GS Hi-Beat :-)

I think for me it's that the crown guards limit the amount of the crown that contacts my fingers and I can't manage to get that good a grip.
    You must have hands like a bunch of bananas!

I just don't see the problem. My Moonwatch is dead easy to wind, off the wrist. I start by rolling the underside of the crown along the length of the inside of my index finger starting from the tip of my finger down towards the palm, and repeating until the crown starts to stiffen as the springs tighten, and finish by switching to the "proper" but slower way (turning the crown between thumb and forefinger). Overall it takes seconds, really simple.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

I was shown how to wind mine by assistant in Omega boutique - seemed unnecessary but maybe not!

With watch off wrist use forefinger (about 1 cm from tip, pointing at 7 o’clock) on underside of crown moving quickly backwards and forwards. Far easier than using both thumb and forefinger.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I was shown how to wind mine by assistant in Omega boutique - seemed unnecessary but maybe not!

With watch off wrist use forefinger (about 1 cm from tip, pointing at 7 o’clock) on underside of crown moving quickly backwards and forwards. Far easier than using both thumb and forefinger.
    This is how I wind mine but I often wonder is it a bad idea to wind it from the underside only, in that, the bushings will only ever see radial wear from one side.

Thinking too much...

Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    This is how I wind mine but I often wonder is it a bad idea to wind it from the underside only, in that, the bushings will only ever see radial wear from one side.

Thinking too much...
    Suppose we could turn watch over and do the same, face down.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelgecko View Post
    I just don't see the problem.
    Not speaking for the OP, but some folks have arthritic fingers etc and I could understand how winding a new Speedy could be a challenge.

I would like a battery powered hand winder, not to wind up this watch (as it is electric!) but to adjust the time and date, as it takes just over four turns of the crown to make the minute hand complete one full rotation.
    Can't be a##ed to change the date, it would take half an hour!

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Not speaking for the OP, but some folks have arthritic fingers etc and I could understand how winding a new Speedy could be a challenge.
    You're quite right, I didn't consider this.

I was more considering how the "finger roll" approach to the crown underside was a better proposition to quick winding than "thumb and forefinger".

But I can absolutely see how arthritis, or any fine motor control issues, could cause either approach to be a challenge.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Somebody posted on here a long time ago a megabucks electric winder to keep hand wound watches going (as you would an automatic watch winder).

Thing had a slipping clutch and everything. I think it was best part of £10k...

Well, every day is a school day.

Having wound watches betwixt forefinger and thumb my whole adult life, I'm now rolling just my forefinger under the watch and that's working nicely.