closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Baltany W10

Baltany W10

Seeking peoples thoughts on this one. Its a cwc/Hamilton copy/homage but with nh35 movement, sapphire crystal, screw down crown and 100m WR.
    At the moment they are reduced to £130 on Baltany UK and there is a further £15 off if you sign up to the newsletter.
    Now I fully realise its a copy (or homage of you prefer) and many will say spend extra for the real thing. I know and understand the sentiment but thats not what I'm interested in. Oh, and faux lume aging isn't a problem for me either. I also assume they are Chinese, but that is pretty much the norm these days at this level.
    But for £115 it's not a bad shout in my opinion now that cwc prices have shot north. I prefer it to the mwc copies that are trying too hard to copy the originals, and are dearer than this and lower spec anyway. My only real reservation are the case sides look too thick compared to the original models.
    Last edited by Ruggertech; 18th November 2022 at 09:38.

I have no experiebce of the brand but I see no problem with the logic you're applying to it.
    You could very easily argue that many of the CWC designs were mandated to them, and not made by them, so there's no problem with other brands running with the idea, especially if they up-spec it.
    The more any brand pushes their price up, the more room they leave underneath them.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I have no experiebce of the brand but I see no problem with the logic you're applying to it.
    You could very easily argue that many of the CWC designs were mandated to them, and not made by them, so there's no problem with other brands running with the idea, especially if they up-spec it.
    That's a good point I hadn't thought of, the original spec was I believe given to Hamilton by the mod, and then used by CWC when the owner left Hamilton to start his own business. My history is probably a bit out here but I think that's the jist of it.
    The more any brand pushes their price up, the more room they leave underneath them.
    Also true.

It does look good, although as you say seems a bit on the thicker side, and the rehaut looks deep as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    It does look good, although as you say seems a bit on the thicker side, and the rehaut looks deep as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hadn't noticed the rehaut, but now you mention it yes it does. I suppose if the movement is sitting 'deeper' in the watch, plus it will likely be a bit thicker itself being an auto, then that will make the thick case sides a necessity.
    Last edited by Ruggertech; 18th November 2022 at 09:49.

I can see where you're coming from but I know that, speaking personally, that this would be a senseless diversion and I'd end up getting a CWC or Hamilton in the end. It also doesn't look quite right.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I can see where you're coming from but I know that, speaking personally, that this would be a senseless diversion and I'd end up getting a CWC or Hamilton in the end. It also doesn't look quite right.
    I did own a modern cwc quartz t20, flipped it, and sometimes miss it, hence me looking at these.
    But the prices of cwc stuff, both new and vintage have skyrocketed, so at £115 I don't think it would be senseless as the potential loss in the case of flipping is no more than 20 or 30 quid. And much like people buying Seesterns etc to see if they really want a Doxa it would help decide whether I felt the need to splash out 4 or 5 times more on a mechanical cwc.
    Probably the best bet is a used Mellor 72 at the £300-350 mark but they don't come up that often.
    Last edited by Ruggertech; 18th November 2022 at 10:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    I did own a modern cwc quartz t20, flipped it, and sometimes miss it, hence me looking at these.
    But the prices of cwc stuff, both new and vintage have skyrocketed, so at £115 I don't think it would be senseless as the potential loss in the case of flipping is no more than 20 or 30 quid. And much like people buying Seesterns etc to see if they really want a Doxa it would help decide whether I felt the need to splash out 4 or 5 times more on a mechanical cwc.
    Probably the best bet is a used Mellor 72 at the £300-350 mark but they don't come up that often.
    Used/vintage was where I was pointing at, perhaps subliminally.

Used/vintage was where I was pointing at, perhaps subliminally.
    Cheers yes, I assumed that would be your forte anyway. Used vintage is a potential minefield and now very expensive for a good example. Used modern is more likely for me.
    I've been studying Baltany videos and photos over the last ten minutes and have decided those case sides are a red line I couldn't cross. Pity.

It might be an idea to keep an eye out for the Hamilton Pilot Pioneer in the Black Friday sales but it's obviously not going as low as the Baltany. Another one to research is a Rhodesian Roamer which are very similar in appearance but I imagine prices there have rocketed - mine was the 1st military watch I bought and I think I paid £90. Happy days.

Edit: Wrong, it was £80. https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-s-ALL-ON-HOLD
    Last edited by Carlton-Browne; 18th November 2022 at 11:52.

I didn't know about the Roamer, thank you, I will investigate. Is the Hamilton a 33mm case?
    Last edited by Ruggertech; 18th November 2022 at 11:23.

Thank you. By coincidence I've just been looking at them in a shop window in Swansea, one black dial, one blue. The size looked okay, as a tonneau case often does, but would need to try one on to be sure. There would have to be one hell of a reduction in price for me however, like 50% off.
    There was a display in the same shop with a couple of dozen used Rolex. Not overly familiar with rolex models, but a few explorers and datejusts around 5 or 6k, loads of subs around 10-12k, and a 1973 red line sub for 24k!

Master
    Seems like a good price for the Baltany. I couldnt see it cheaper on Aliexpress

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I’ve owned one of these and it was definitely 36mm diameter.

Confusingly I think the 33mm relates to this dimension (excuse the crudeness of my drawing):

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    I’ve owned one of these and it was definitely 36mm diameter.

Confusingly I think the 33mm relates to this dimension (excuse the crudeness of my drawing):

That would make sense, they didn't look like 33mm in the shop window.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob s View Post
    Seems like a good price for the Baltany. I couldnt see it cheaper on Aliexpress

Definitely the cheapest, no vat or anything to pay either I assume. Its just those case sides that are stopping me going for it.

Master
    I like the small seconds D12 they do. Might be the next purchase after my 11.11 sale watch was cancelled (out of stock). That was only £75 so thought I'd try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob s View Post
    I like the small seconds D12 they do. Might be the next purchase after my 11.11 sale watch was cancelled (out of stock). That was only £75 so thought I'd try it.
    They do an automatic version for £155. £140 if you sign up for the newsletter.

Master
    Thanks I'll take a look