closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which watch - advice...?

Craftsman

Which watch - advice...?

Hello all - wonder if anyone could make a suggestion or two?

A friend wants to buy her husband a watch for an anniversary present. She wants a leather strap, and a silver/ss case.

Budget is £1-2k

She likes this Montblanc http://www.montblanc.com/en-gb/colle...ronograph.html

Doesnt want anything too chunky - so prob 40mm max

Any good ideas folks?

Craftsman
    Blimey. I think you/she might have to limit the options quite a bit for us. New only or used? Chronograph or three handed? White, black or coloured dial? Classic/dressy, tool/diver/flier, etc, etc.

Re the watch shown, I’m not that keen on Roman numerals on a chrono - it looks like it’s trying too hard. But that’s just my option and tastes.

For a new jobbie in a fairly classic range of styles, Longines are not a bad brand option - something from their Master Collection, perhaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by khumzi View Post
    Blimey. I think you/she might have to limit the options quite a bit for us. New only or used? Chronograph or three handed? White, black or coloured dial? Classic/dressy, tool/diver/flier, etc, etc.

Re the watch shown, I’m not that keen on Roman numerals on a chrono - it looks like it’s trying too hard. But that’s just my option and tastes.

For a new jobbie in a fairly classic range of styles, Longines are not a bad brand option - something from their Master Collection, perhaps?

Yes - sorry - wasnt particularly helpful - she really doesnt have a clue. Would probably be more dressy / less diver, if that helps. His current watch however is an Ebel, and 'too girly'!

Longines could be a good call. I have tried to get them to look at used, but she prefers new (unless it was used/unworn).

any other suggestions welcomed - just so I can give her some options - thanks again!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by khumzi View Post

Agree, i think the Longines Heritage range are definitely hitting the mark

My preferred at the mo is the "Big Eye" which covers the bases as a chrono and depending on strap could be dressed up or dressed down.

https://www.longines.com/watches/her...SAAEgKJt_D_BwE

For £2k I’d be buying an Omega. The MB looks looks nice enough, but they are slowly establishing themselves, and it’s quartz - so likely to be available for less than half price quite soon after purchase.

A quartz Aqua Terra is £1750 or less, an SMP diver can be picked up for around £2k.

Even a Moon Watch is not too much more, maybe a few hundred more for like new on leather.

There are then some other great brands, but not many as up there as Omega, such as Sinn, Longines (although seen as a cheaper brand, than Omega, in the same Swatch stable). Lots of choice.

If it’s an MB, shop around and get a very good discount.
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries
    Maybe your friend and husband should go to your local Goldsmiths or Mappen and Webb etc and try on lots of different types of watch and then decide? Nothing like handling in person.

Martyn

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Maybe your friend and husband should go to your local Goldsmiths or Mappen and Webb etc and try on lots of different types of watch and then decide? Nothing like handling in person.

Martyn
    And then see if Iconic/Chronext can deliver for a lot less...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    And then see if Iconic/Chronext can deliver for a lot less...
    That the problem - I forgot to mention it's a surprise, so they cant do the 'trying on' thing - as he would know what was going on.. Tend to agree with the above that Omega would be a nicer place to be though...

Banned

Martyn
    This is definitely the way to go. I've had a watch bought for me as a present and found it very difficult to say I didn't like it. There's nothing worse than having to look at a carbuncle sitting on your wrist you hate looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmdf1960 View Post
    This is definitely the way to go. I've had a watch bought for me as a present and found it very difficult to say I didn't like it. There's nothing worse than having to look at a carbuncle sitting on your wrist you hate looking at.
    Depends on how well you know the person, and what they like. Bought watches for lots of people, and they all wear those watches. At least 5 of them as their only watch everyday.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Siysiy View Post
    That the problem - I forgot to mention it's a surprise, so they cant do the 'trying on' thing - as he would know what was going on.. Tend to agree with the above that Omega would be a nicer place to be though...
    any view on this Tudor

https://www.chronext.co.uk/tudor/heritage/79910/D1239

Very nice, but then I own one - the second time I’ve bought one too.

I think they are great and very easy to read.

Blog Entries
    You won’t get an omega for 1-2K unless you buy second hand and who wants a second hand watch as an anniversary present (I know I wouldn’t - but that’s me).

At that budget maybe look at Longines, Tissot, Fossil, Eterna etc. lots to choose from.

Probably looking at Longines for a dressy watch from a known and generally respected Swiss brand under £2000 new which someone would appreciate as an anniversary present but also wear everyday. Best advice would be for her to pick up a brochure from a Longines AD or llok online until ahe finds a style she likes.

I personally wouldn't bother with Montblanc and the like. At that budget for that type of watch, it's Nomos by far; their Club model is perfect and is a lot more watch than pretty much anything else priced similarly, as well as many costlier ones. £2K is also enough to get a nice Datejust on the secondary market, which is a no-excuses watch that looks great on a strap.

Honourable mention to the Sinn 356 if a classic pilot's chronograph is in consideration.

Blog Entries
    Sorry correction. Omega AT quartz can be had new within budget.

That would be my choice:

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-o...23110396006001

maybe bit cheaper on strap as well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    At that budget for that type of watch, it's Nomos by far; their Club model is perfect and is a lot more watch than pretty much anything else priced similarly, as well as many costlier ones.
    Exactly my thoughts too. Have a look at this one OP: https://nomos-glashuette.com/en/club/club-automatic-751 or something else from their Club range.

Master
    I think when you are buying an expensive watch for the first time it would take a lot of persuading buying second hand.
    I’d suggest she isolates a style both she and he will hopefully like , pilots , dressy Diver , Chrono , round face dress , or what I suppose we call sports which quite frankly is the new dress .
    Really thinking on it . I’d guess Swiss on the label is going to count . So can’t really see beyond a brand new warranted Longine. Either a Master collection , pilots , legend Diver , conquests . All would I guess fit the mark.
    You could spend 5k on a Zenith or buy this cracker new for under £1400

Last edited by Mark lowman; 16th April 2018 at 16:00.

I again endorse a Nomos club.. would be a great choice and well within budget.

If he does like chronographs though.. how about a Junghans Maxbill. Has a lot more credibility than the Montblanc that is loosely based on the design and available again at the lower end of the budget:

https://www.chronext.co.uk/junghans/...iABEgKaOPD_BwE

Blog Entries
    Omega quartz would be my choice. It's a well known brand that even non wis might have heard of. Tudor and some others would be appreciated by the wis on here but probably not civilians.

Very versatile - I bought a black NATO strap with black buckles, but they sent the wrong size today! So I've put it on black and orange instead. I'd buy on bracelet, and then add a few straps of buying new.

You won’t get an omega for 1-2K unless you buy second hand and who wants a second hand watch as an anniversary present (I know I wouldn’t - but that’s me).

At that budget maybe look at Longines, Tissot, Fossil, Eterna etc. lots to choose from.

That would be my choice:

I'm glad you updated that ;)

Second hand might not work for lots of people, but like new/unworn with stickers on etc. might.

Really like the Tudor Heritage Ranger, but it bugs me that the steel bracelet has those straight end links. Think they look dated and cheap. If I was to get it I'd probably avoid the usual best practice of getting it on the bracelet and buying an aftermarket leather and go for the Tudor leather with that nice deployant clasp.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Really like the Tudor Heritage Ranger, but it bugs me that the steel bracelet has those straight end links. Think they look dated and cheap. .

Couldn't agree more. Seen a couple listed in various places recently and I really like the look of it but the massive gap with the straight end links just makes it look like there are parts missing!

Master

Master
    I’ve owned a Ranger. Lovely watches but at 41mm I felt that it wore too big on my 7 1/8” wrist so I flipped it with a heavy heart.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Really like the Tudor Heritage Ranger, but it bugs me that the steel bracelet has those straight end links. Think they look dated and cheap. If I was to get it I'd probably avoid the usual best practice of getting it on the bracelet and buying an aftermarket leather and go for the Tudor leather with that nice deployant clasp.
    I like it. It’s the same bracelet as on the unique one off Tudor Black Bay Black, and I wear the same bracelet on one of my ETA Black Bay blacks.

Dont get my wrong, Id prefer an Omega SMP but they aren’t in the same price points.

Craftsman
    Thank you all for your help... with all of that in mind, we/she has whittled it down to an Omega De Ville Prestige Co-Axial

Anything bad to say about this, and does anyone know if this dealer is sound, given the watch is unused? If not, she will buy it from a normal dealer and hopefully get a little off the £2400 asking price.

see link:
    https://www.watchbuyers.co.uk/watche...SABEgIA3fD_BwE

also - anyone recommend or suggest staying away from Iconic Watches?

Thanks again to all for the advice.... this is a brilliant place!
    Last edited by Siysiy; 17th April 2018 at 09:08.

There was one of those on the forum, like new for a lot less. but as a new buy, then it could be worth going for. For not much more, I'd be going for a Seamaster Diver, but that's me.

It won't be a big seller, os shop around for the very best price and don't rush in until you have the right offer.

https://www.chronext.co.uk/buy?page=...ting=PRICE_ASC

https://www.chronext.co.uk/buy?page=...ting=PRICE_ASC

A few on there. Plus there is usually a code kicking about for another £100 off, watches over around £1500, from time to time.

Craftsman

thanks

Thanks everyone for the input - greatly appreciated. The blue Co-Axial it is... hope he likes it. Wish my wife would do that for me!!!

I think we would all love nice presents :)

I hope he likes it. At least it's one of the more well known brands, with all the after sales/warranty and reassurance hat that offers too.

That would be my choice:

That’s be my choice - how can you go wrong?

Craftsman
    Also got it for 2k exactly from an AD...
    again - thanks to all plus Eddie for the assistance. Mighty fine forum!

Craftsman
    Really good choice. Omega is one of the highest quality brands at that price point. Also, the De Ville is an often under appreciated model in the Omega line which I think in this case equates to great vfm. Love the classy blue dial.......that is a lot of watch for the price!

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    I’ve owned a Ranger. Lovely watches but at 41mm I felt that it wore too big on my 7 1/8” wrist so I flipped it with a heavy heart.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    As a result of this thread I tried on the Ranger today in Prestons. I have a 6 &3/4 inch wrist (pretty flat) and it wore fine, I really liked it. Think the lug length is a bit shorter than the BB41 so I felt it wore a bit smaller. Would make a great everyday watch, sporty, legible, understated. Good Explorer alternative.