closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Things we used to have in our houses. Why are they gone!?

[QUOTE=gunner;4739379]
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    I can’t think of the name but the things used to keep veg warm at Sunday lunch (carousel?) think it was Tefal made? in brown and had that typical late 70’s pattern that you’d get on tea/coffee/sugar jars.

Hostess trolley?

My mum still has and uses hers. Pretty useful especially for big dinners

Coal hole

Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    The sound of the milk float as it made it's way down the road.
    Yes this, with un-homogenised milk and the cream floating on top and getting the milk in before the pesky Tits pierced the foil cap of your milk. Great days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=subseastu;4739666]
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post

Indeed, my mother in law still uses one, mind I do the cooking! Further to my post re a toasting fork earlier, we also had a bleezer, an oblong of sheet metal with a handle rivited on, that went over the fire opening when it was being lit to draw the air up through the sticks and newspaper below the coals and get the fire roaring away, made to order at the colliery workshops along with the runners for my sledge.
    F.T.F.A.

Grand Master
    [QUOTE=magirus;4739685]
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post

Further to my post re a toasting fork earlier, we also had a bleezer, an oblong of sheet metal with a handle rivited on, that went over the fire opening when it was being lit to draw the air up through the sticks and newspaper below the coals and get the fire roaring away, made to order at the colliery workshops along with the runners for my sledge.
    I remember having one, we called it a draw-tin in Yorkshire. A sheet of newspaper could be used as an alternative......but that could end badly.

Does anyone still use electric fires? As a kid I remember having a fan heater and a filament heater that glowed red and got bloody hot.....always remember the day my sister stuck a knitting needle in it and shot across the room

What about gas pokers?........lethal devices in the wrong hands! Stick it in the fire, surrounded by coal, turn on the gas and throw in a match...........woof! I learned how to do this as a youngster aged around 10, helping my mum to get the fire going on a winters morning.

Paul

My Nan and I used to make tapers to light the fire from tightly rolled newspaper sheets, back when they used to be flammable.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Grand Master
    Whilst I’m immersed in nostalgia..........does anyone remember having butter rubbed on a bumped head head after falling as a kid whilst playing out?

Breville Sandwich toaster. We still have one!

[QUOTE=walkerwek1958;4739698]
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post

Does anyone still use electric fires? As a kid I remember having a fan heater and a filament heater that glowed red and got bloody hot.....always remember the day my sister stuck a knitting needle in it and shot across the room

Paul

Too expensive to run, so a single skin brick and tile hung exterior wall and single glazed crittall windows was all that kept the elements at bay, used to put my school uniform in the airing cupboard on the hot water tank the night before and then run and grab it and then get dressed under the blankets in the morning.

Learned to light the fire at about 10 yr old and used to hold the paper (the news of the world as it was bigger) with my knees at the bottom and hands at the top corners to get the draw. It was my job to saw logs after coming back from school and get the fire going. This was in the early 80’s, I guess my folks didn’t see this as an issue seeing as they used to do it. I guess social services would be called these days.

You don’t see cress on salads anymore, I never got why it was so popular?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Ah, the classic P!ss sponge.
    Indeed ! Have to mop it up sharpish these days

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Whilst I’m immersed in nostalgia..........does anyone remember having butter rubbed on a bumped head head after falling as a kid whilst playing out?
    Me ! Always remember if my face was dirty and my mum or Nan would spit into a hanky and clean my face with said clean hanky !

Grand Master
    Blackclocks..........for the uninitiated, according to my late father, who grew up in the 30s, a blackclock is a big black beetle, usually found in damp old houses with stone floors.

Years ago I flirted with the idea of buying an old stone- built house. My dad thought I was crazy and didn’t hesitate to tell me; part of his reasoning was the fact that it would be ‘ full of blackclocks’. Apparently he shared his childhood with these creatures and he didn’t remember them with affection!

Blog Entries
    ... not that I want it back... filling the coal-scuttle and bringing it into the house. And the small coal shed was in the back of the -pretty large- garden!

My parents used to warm the house with anthracite coal. Those small rocks burned pretty long, but were also the most expensive type of coal you could buy! My grandmother didn't have much money and she had to settle for ovoids (I didn't know that name in English, had to look it up!). This egg-shaped fuel didn't burn so long, but I loved them: a scuttle full of ovoids weight less than a scuttle full of anthracite! So I suggested that we would buy them as well. My mom's reply was a sharp first lesson in household economics and difference in household income and wealth. I've never suggested this again!

Further: the T65! A Dutch household name! The type# of the only(!) telephone model issued by the Royal Dutch Post and Telephone company. The one with a dial! And everybody from the mid-60s or older knows that magic combination: T65.

My kids and I went to a tech and science museum a few years back. There was a T65 on display. They hardly recognised this as a phone and the dial was like 'Catweazle and Electrickery' to them!

Menno

That reminds me - Cockroaches! My Mom used to put glasses over them for my Dad to deal with when he got back from the pub. As a child, I learnt the hard way to check my slippers/shoes before putting them on.

Craftsman
    Lino on the floor or 'oil cloth' as my Nan used to call it.

Tin baths. We lived next door to my Nan. Outside bogs and no bathroom meant we used a tin bath that hung outside and we shared it. Trouble was my Nan used to drag it in to her house to fill it up. I can always remember my dad telling my mum “That bloody mother of yours has been dragging this bath indoors" as yet again he had to get his solder iron out to solder the edges to keep the water in. Bathimes were Sunday night’s only. Bath carried indoors, fill with hot water, Dad in first, then mum, then me, then my sister. Topping up with a bit of hot in between changeovers. If they were quick enough I got to watch Hawaii 5 O before going to bed.

I didn’t get to use a bathroom till I was 13 when we moved to a house with one in 1971 and that was only because our whole estate was pulled down in a slum clearance programme. Bathroom, rubber hose shower that plugged over the taps, extra inside toilet, warm air central heating and hot water straight from the tap! It was like we'd won the pools! Luxury I tell ya, luxury.
    Last edited by Motman; 18th April 2018 at 06:48.

Your mum spitting on a hankie, before wiping something off your face.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    We had one of these at home too in the early 70s. Bissell's best carpet cleaner !!

If forgotten about those. Ours was called a “Eubank” iirc, even though it was a different make.

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post

We have one! Great for Christmas dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    If forgotten about those. Ours was called a “Eubank” iirc, even though it was a different make.
    Cordless too!

Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    Never understood how these worked, my grans just seemed to push the dirt around and spread it out across the room!

Blog Entries

Things we used to have in our houses. Why are they gone!?

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    Antimacassars!

And doilies ... what happened to all the doilies?

And phone books next to the only telephone in the house ... in the hall.
    Yes all separate or the big combined business and residential BT book? Then your Thompson directory and yellow pages

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vulcangascompany View Post
    Never understood how these worked, my grans just seemed to push the dirt around and spread it out across the room!
    Was the Euwbank like a bissell ?

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    We had one of these at home too in the early 70s. Bissell's best carpet cleaner !!

]
    We bought one of these last weekend just to save lugging the vacuum cleaner down to the summer house Pilates Studio at the bottom of the garden, it bought back childhood memories of being fascinated by these gadgets when I was a kid and running around my grandparents bungalow with it.

As a child, I spent many hours making paper sticks for lighting the coal fire in a morning. I can't find any pictures but I still know how to make them :-)

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    My Nan and I used to make tapers to light the fire from tightly rolled newspaper sheets, back when they used to be flammable.
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    As a child, I spent many hours making paper sticks for lighting the coal fire in a morning. I can't find any pictures but I still know how to make them :-)

Eddie
    Me too!
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    My grandmother didn't have much money and she had to settle for ovoids (I didn't know that name in English, had to look it up!).

Menno
    Mine bought ‘nutty slack’ coal.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post

Eddie
    We used some newspaper constructions elaborately folded a bit like an accordion. They were call ‘paper duckies’. It might be just a Nottingham phrase, they seem to be fixated on calling things duck.

We used to scrunch our newspapers pages up length-wise and then tie them into a loose knot for fire lighting. I must have done thousands of these over my childhood years.

I also used to scavenge wood and cut and chop logs when I was a kid. If I didn't do this - no fire. We did live in the middle of nowhere though.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha4 View Post
    We used to scrunch our newspapers pages up length-wise and then tie them into a loose knot for fire lighting. I must have done thousands of these over my childhood years.
    We made those to stuff our Guy (Fawkes).

Master

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    The Metro newspaper is flammable. I use it to light the fire.

Quote Originally Posted by johny View Post
    The Metro newspaper is flammable. I use it to light the fire.
    The Daily Mail is particularly inflammatory too

Master
    [QUOTE=Motman;4739855]Lino on the floor or 'oil cloth' as my Nan used to call it.

Wax cloth was what my granny called it.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    A kitchen cabinet

We had this exact same model!

Cooool.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    The Daily Mail is particularly inflammatory too
    lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    We used some newspaper constructions elaborately folded a bit like an accordion. They were call ‘paper duckies’. It might be just a Nottingham phrase, they seem to be fixated on calling things duck.

My Mother would insist on drying off our discarded orange peel in the Ideal Cookanheat https://c7.alamy.com/comp/JK9TTM/195...eat-JK9TTM.jpg oven to light the fires with, went up rather well as I recall.
    Last edited by notnowkato; 18th April 2018 at 13:59.

Three ducks on the wall in the living room anyone?

We had them.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    Was the Euwbank like a bissell ?
    *Bithell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    *Bithell

you will be pleased to hear that there is a place where 90% of the missed are still in use and seen as the norm...New Zealand, where it is currently 2010 in the north and 1980 in the south

Master
    No stone fireplace would be complete without a set of fine highly polished brass miners lamps.

Craftsman
    Horse brasses!

And do you remember when we had mechanical wrist watches without batteries?

Quote Originally Posted by deerworrier View Post
    you will be pleased to hear that there is a place where 90% of the missed are still in use and seen as the norm...New Zealand, where it is currently 2010 in the north and 1980 in the south
    Sounds about right, when I visited I left England in 1993 and arrived in New Zealand in 1955.

Left a few weeks ago, mullet haircuts are still evident.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Sounds about right, when I visited I left England in 1993 and arrived in New Zealand in 1955.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Left a few weeks ago, mullet haircuts are still evident.
    If you get the chance, watch the tv programme "bogan hunters"!!

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    ... not that I want it back... filling the coal-scuttle and bringing it into the house. And the small coal shed was in the back of the -pretty large- garden!

Menno
    Our coal was kept in the cellar (remember them?). A metal plate in the floor at the side of the house covered the chute so the coal man (remember them?) could empty his bags directly into it.

top loading washing machine

whistling kettle

white dog poo in the front garden

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Steelgecko View Post
    white dog poo in the front garden
    I reckon them little Scottie dogs where the culprits there......dunno why....?

Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    That’s me, second from right at my sisters birthday party. Note the tin of condensed milk on the table. It went well with jelly. Cream was a luxury and not for the likes of us!

I think that may be evaporated milk?
    Wasn’t condensed milk in a white tin with blue rings.

Carnation!