closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sub sales vs GMTs

Craftsman

Sub sales vs GMTs

It strikes me historically Rolex Subs outsold GMTs.
    Does anyone think things have now swung the other way or maybe more 50:50 split on sales?

Sub sales will continue to dominate, although the ‘shouty’ blue and black bezel/fat body model of the GMT has made it a lot more popular.

Bung a bling bezel on the sub, and I reckon it would go stratospheric in demand.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Sub sales will continue to dominate, although the ‘shouty’ blue and black bezel/fat body model of the GMT has made it a lot more popular.

Bung a bling bezel on the sub, and I reckon it would go stratospheric in demand.
    Yeh the BLNR and new Pepsi add some welcome colour to the steel sports range.

As you say, bling bezel on sub would make things crazy... maybe blue bezel with black dial?i loved Watches with some colour so BLNR/Pepsi are what I like.

Saying that lists are all huge here anyway regardless lol

Without knowing the production volumes of both the subs and GMTs, it’s impossible to say. Obviously both models are in huge demand and are rarely, if ever, seen in ADs windows. Even the black GMTc is a rare sight these days.

I’ve certainly noticed that the older GMTs have increased in value more than the older sub date and Seadweller over recent years. The non date sub seems to have outpaced all the others though such that 16610s are generally cheaper than 14060s these days.

These are just my observations and those closer to the market may prove me wrong.

Banned

I agree the Pepsi and batman have definitely given the gmt more appeal but I still think the sub would outstrip sales of the gmt if they were both available in black only

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Hard to tell but the sub is definitely the most iconic Rolex if not Watch ever made. Having said that I do prefer the look of the black GMT because of the green GMT hand and I love the batman and Pepsi.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I’m fairly sure Subs sell in my greater quantities.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Both seem to hold value well, but GMTs seem to sell higher. With this rate of pre-owned prices going up, old GMTs will sell for more than new ones, which is somewhat laughable idea. Unless Rolex has a some sort of solid plan to make every Rolex owner rich by selling their watches cheaper from ADs than pre-owned.

I'm not so sure about that. Current model standard GMTc is cheaper than a SubC date model as a used by.

Older models the GMT II has risen crazily, when the Sub used to command a much higher price.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Guess we will never know however I always spot Subs on peoples wrists. GMTs rarely

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Guess we will never know however I always spot Subs on peoples wrists. GMTs rarely
    I agree, however I was out with the wife buying a washing machine this morning and was chatting with a man also buying a washing machine with his wife.

We were both wearing 16710s; mine a Pepsi, his a coke!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I agree, however I was out with the wife buying a washing machine this morning and was chatting with a man also buying a washing machine with his wife.

We were both wearing 16710s; mine a Pepsi, his a coke!
    The start of a bromance?

The start of a bromance?
    Ships that pass in the night!

Well morning actually!

Master
    A seasoned colleague of mine told me back in the day the 16610 always had a waiting list but the 16710 didn't, so a lot of 16710s were sold and fitted with a black GMT bezel cause it looked kind of like a sub, which was good enough for some customers.

Today those customers are happy I bet.

It was only four or five years ago that the gmt was less popular than the sub or SD. I bought mine when I really wanted a Seadweller but couldn’t justify the spend.

Ironically I bought the Seadweller a couple of months later and have since sold it whilst I still have the gmt.

When I bought my first Rolex it was a GMT. I didn’t have a huge knowledge of history , or models etc back then, I was in my twenties and this was over 11 years ago. But to me The GMT with the extra 24 hour hand, it was a no brainier for me over the sub. In my naivety I thought why wouldn’t anyone want this extra complication over a “normal” sub.
    Glad I did!

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    A seasoned colleague of mine told me back in the day the 16610 always had a waiting list but the 16710 didn't, so a lot of 16710s were sold and fitted with a black GMT bezel cause it looked kind of like a sub, which was good enough for some customers.

Today those customers are happy I bet.
    While they're both excellent, I've always thought that the slimmer, more-versatile and more-functional 16710 is the perfect all-round watch and the one to have if you could only have one. :)

Craftsman
    Subs are much more common. In the wild I would say I see 5 x more subs than GMTs.

Have a Sub. Have a GMT. Enjoy switching between them.

Need to get an SD and no date to round it off.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    Subs are much more common. In the wild I would say I see 5 x more subs than GMTs.

Have a Sub. Have a GMT. Enjoy switching between them.

Need to get an SD and no date to round it off.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    Yes, you do,

Historically the Sub for sure but Rolex sells what it makes because they dictate the market supply and not the other way round. I would still say Sub but it will be much closer in numbers now.

This is a question that always crosses my mind... In the modern line up;

Sub-Date (116610ln) retails about £7950
    Black GMT II (116710ln) retails about £7850

When I was getting into watches (over 20 years ago) I just lusted after a Sub.

These days, as I know more and appreciate more movement related things I would much prefer the GMT-II.

Its safe to conclude that the Sub is more expensive purely by demand.

One assumes the addition of the GMT hand adds a lot of manufacturing cost ?

The GMT mechanism certainly adds to the movement cost, but then again, there's a significant price difference between the clasps; the Submariner's is a fair bit more expensive.

Sub sales vs GMTs

Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    This is a question that always crosses my mind... In the modern line up;

Sub-Date (116610ln) retails *at £6,250*
    Black GMT II (116710ln) retails *at £6,200*

Its safe to conclude that the Sub is more expensive purely by demand.

One assumes the addition of the GMT hand adds a lot of manufacturing cost ?

Prices start with a six rather than a seven, unless I’m missing something?

The new Pepsi GMT with jubilee is £6,800, anyhow.

I suppose some prefer the less bold bezel (given the large 24h numerals has on the ceramic bezel), or don’t have a need for 24 hour/travel time function. The Sub has one less hand on the dial, a timing bezel which may be more useful for more people, and the clasp is different.

Not to mention the Submariner has a history and status all of its own, though the GMT is hardly shabby in this respect.

I have a Submariner Date, but would be happy with either. I preferred the simpler look of the Submariner to the GMT, and don’t travel much. I’d also have second thoughts about traveling with a Rolex to anywhere that wasn’t salubrious, on the easily recognisable bracelet anyway.

Master
    The sub has a slightly more complicated clasp, a different bezel/click construction and a thicker case, and is pressure tested to ~400meters during production rather than 130 for the GMT.... Perhaps it makes a small cost difference but in the end it's about positioning on the Professional "ladder" I believe... Depth trumps the GMT complication in this instance :D

Oh and dont forget the 18k Gold Lume Pip on the Submariner Bezel....

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post
    Prices start with a six rather than a seven, unless I’m missing something?
    Correct, my error, I seem to have the Euro prices on this Laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    in the end it's about positioning on the Professional "ladder" I believe... Depth trumps the GMT complication in this instance :
    This, this and this!

When almost identical watches can be made and sold for a few hundred quid, the price of any Rolex watch (or any other higher end watch) bears no relation to the actual cost of manufacture.

This isn’t a dig at Rolex, it’s the way things are; the perceived value (and therefore price) is purely down to marketing and our willingness to pay. We all know it’s madness but we all still do it anyway!

Craftsman
    From what I have seen, GTM’s are becoming more popular of late. 10 years ago I only looked at Subs but now with the extra colours I’m tempted by a GMT.

Craftsman
    Having both I prefer the gmt.

It is however the sub I wear most.

Master
    I too have both. I appreciate the complication in the GMT but never wear it. It looks brash compared to the Sub. In my humble opinion of course.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app