closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Edited again with an apology as I overacted. Another Update

Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    Whoever came up with that stupid saying, the customer is very often wrong it’s just you can’t tell
    them these days or they will be on social media slagging you off and posting untrue reviews.

much prefer the other thread today about a watch repairer.
    You mean this one?

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...repair-reviews

Reading some of the recent TZUK threads I am starting to think some of these are genuine reviews!

Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    Brendan misunderstood a comment I mark on a previous thread praying his work where I said I will hopefully have a watch back soon as its been three months. Brendan was having a part made so I knew it was going to be some time. Unfortunately he thought I was having a go at him and said some things I wouldn't ever expect to say to a customer. He messaged me to apologise but apparently it didn't mean anything.
    Ah yes, you had a pop previously too. That’s exactly how you came across regardless of what you meant. So I can see that Brendan’s patience in this matter would be even less than normal.

Also, I’m sorry to say that I don’t find your stance defensible at all. Yes, if there is a problem it should be sorted - but I fully understand someone saying that if it ain’t broke you’re paying - that’s exactly the stance the warranty company took on my Subaru P1, but thankfully the engine was fooked and they sorted out the investigation and repair.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 14th April 2018 at 21:31.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    What about pork loin as I prefer that to steak.
    Not a good idea to eat pork loin rare

Seems an unworthy thread this one, the response from Brendan sounded fine to me all things considered and certainly nothing that couldn't have been resolved without being dragged through a public forum.

Blog Entries
    Not a good idea to eat pork loin rare
    EDITED
    Last edited by MFB Scotland; 21st April 2018 at 20:21.

Two sides to every story, as they say.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    You mean this one?

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...repair-reviews

Reading some of the recent TZUK threads I am starting to think some of these are genuine reviews!

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Seems an unworthy thread this one, the response from Brendan sounded fine to me all things considered and certainly nothing that couldn't have been resolved without being dragged through a public forum.
    Exactly!

I don't think money should be even brought up at this stage. If one of our customers phoned up and said we had done something wrong the first priority would be to get the issue looked at, money and costs shouldn't even be on the table.
    In the grand scheme of things if he's so confident there's nothing wrong with it, how long is it going to take and at what expense? For the sake of £20 postage and half hours time there's no point in annoying a customer..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    I don't think money should be even brought up at this stage. If one of our customers phoned up and said we had done something wrong the first priority would be to get the issue looked at, money and costs shouldn't even be on the table.
    In the grand scheme of things if he's so confident there's nothing wrong with it, how long is it going to take and at what expense? For the sake of £20 postage and half hours time there's no point in annoying a customer..
    EDITED
    Last edited by MFB Scotland; 21st April 2018 at 20:22.

Blog Entries
    I have agreed with Brendan to return the watch and he will repair it. Perhaps I posted in haste but it wasn't what I was expecting to hear
    EDITED

Master
    Have you been smoking crack?

Think maybe you aren’t self employed and there is obviously a bit of history here.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Exactly!
    I'm wondering just what the OP actually wanted to achieve out of this.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Think maybe you aren’t self employed and there is obviously a bit of history here.
    Yes I'm self employed, what difference does that make?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think the OP made his bed when he had a dig in that other thread and his position in that now deleted opening post was unreasonable.

I’m self employed and one of the best things is you can choose your customers, if one of them is unreasonable the you can just tell them to take a walk ... life is too short to waste time on customers who don’t appreciate what they are getting.

Blog Entries
    Am I the only one getting fed up with these threads trying to have a dig at Brendan?
    Because it’s beginning to look like a bit of a witch hunt to me.
    There’s nothing in the OP that couldn’t have been sorted out by the OP with a bit more patience and not immediately feeling hard done by.
    For gods sake grow up and stop whinging on the forum in an attempt to stir up trouble. Ffs.

Blog Entries

Title edited to allow some more time

EDITED

Yes you are the only one. I think his lack of customer focus is worthy of a TZ thread

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    He certainly isn’t the only one. And I wonder why you start dribbling all over threads that attack Brendan.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Your post is not good enough IMO. £400 plus cost for the OP

You’ve really got it in for him non stop,is it personal?

I have agreed with Brendan to return the watch and he will repair it. Perhaps I posted in haste but it wasn't what I was expecting to hear

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I think the OP made his bed when he had a dig in that other thread and his position in that now deleted opening post was unreasonable.

I’m self employed and one of the best things is you can choose your customers, if one of them is unreasonable the you can just tell them to take a walk ... life is too short to waste time on customers who don’t appreciate what they are getting.
    As someone who is also self employed, I can only agree which is why I’m struggling to understand the following comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    I have repaired many watches for this man.
    The watch in question is an obsolete Omega memomatic which had a broken escape wheel. I made a new pivot for it.
    The case back was scratched to pieces.
    The watch was on test for a week before it was returned to him.
    It is an alarm watch. What he can hear is the alarm hammer bumping against the gong. Quite normal.

I restored a totally rusted out 3135 for him a year or so ago. At a very reasonable price. And several others
    He buys broken watches on ebay...I presume, and I have asked him before not to send me such worn out bad purchases.
    Because they are uneconomical to repair.

Brendan

Yes I'm self employed, what difference does that make?
    You said one of ‘our’ customers and ‘we would’ like it was a bigger business.

Think an individual running their own one man business might have to think a bit more about time and £20 postage costs.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Am I the only one getting fed up with these threads trying to have a dig at Brendan?
    There’s nothing in the OP that couldn’t have been sorted out by the OP with a bit more patience and not immediately feeling hard done by.
    For gods sake grow up and stop whinging on the forum in an attempt to stir up trouble. Ffs.
    Agreed and is he buying rubbish of eBay for Brendan to fix for him?

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Yes you are the only one. I think his lack of customer focus and care is worthy of a TZ thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    He certainly isn’t the only one. And I wonder why you start dribbling all over threads that attack Brendan.
    He is far from the only one. I’m all for balanced views/threads - but this was never going to go well for either party.

I don’t mind dealing with curt people. I have thicker skin than that. Some don’t and I understand that. If the price and service are acceptable to you, then I’m sure you will use a particular service. If it doesnt, then go elsewhere.

Master
    A normal business can absorb internet criticism, and hopefully learn from it. But an individual is far more vulnerable, because there's only him to absorb the criticism. His business can suffer disproportionately, especially in a small world like watch hobbyists.
    To publicly pillory Brendan, in a rather aggressive manner, and then row back seems thoughtless and unfair. Of course he can be criticised, but there does need to be some balance, given the harm that can be done.
    And if Brendan is correct, and there's nothing wrong...how do you repair the damage to his reputation?

You said one of ‘our’ customers and ‘we would’ like it was a bigger business.

Think an individual running their own one man business might have to think a bit more about time and £20 postage costs.
    What, before you know the full facts? I don't think so.

Master
    Blog Entries
    from what I have read I see him as straight talking and not suffering fools.
    That’s far better than a bluffer in my book.
    I wouldn’t hesitate to send him a watch.

What, before you know the full facts? I don't think so.
    Sorry dont understand you’re reply.

He is saying he’d rather look at the job and ensure the client was happy, rather than quibble over a few quid.

Quite a nasty thread when it involves someones business, all paths should be followed until there is an amicable outcome..

I'am involved in a couple of businesses, one as self employed and the other as a director in a partnership, both involve working for the general public, most are great people to work for but quite a few are just plain idiots or out for something for nothing, as much as you want to rip them a new one you have to take a deep breath, smile and resolve the situation at hand.

I have refunded people quite large sums knowing my product will continue to be used and sell their product even though they claimed there was an issue, yes these people do get my back up but I see it as once there gone there gone, I'll never provide them a product again no matter the money involved, in business I like to be straight and fair and in return expect the same.

Unfortunately the the saying of the customer is always right is applicable if you want to continue to maintain or grow a business in the public domain, its hard to move a business on thats based on reputation if you keep getting complaints and don't resolve the problems in the correct manner, arse replies will eventually build a character assumption that will be hard to shift - especially when the internet is involved.
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 14th April 2018 at 22:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I make him dribble too. A real sad sack.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    I am going to make only one reply to this post.
    The messages I sent to him were private and not connected to TZ.
    I have repaired many watches for this man.
    The watch in question is an obsolete Omega memomatic which had a broken escape wheel. I made a new pivot for it.
    The case back was scratched to pieces.
    The watch was on test for a week before it was returned to him.
    It is an alarm watch. What he can hear is the alarm hammer bumping against the gong. Quite normal.
    I told him that he is welcome to return it but if there is no fault that he should pay for my time and return postage.
    Not in any way aggressive.
    He asks then for a full refund. So yes, I told him to get lost ! Having made impossible to obtain parts for him
    I don't claim to be a saint and you are not paying for my temperament.
    I restored a totally rusted out 3135 for him a year or so ago. At a very reasonable price. And several others and made little on this work.
    Never once has he expressed any gratitude.
    Here is the broken escape wheel drilled before repivotting:

Case back before polishing:

Perhaps OP will post a picture after I refinished it.

He buys broken watches on ebay...I presume, and I have asked him before not to send me such worn out bad purchases.
    Because they are uneconomical to repair.
    I see many of the same trolls here as ever.
    I hope you enjoy fighting amongst yourselves about this post.
    This forum has gone seriously downhill over the last year or two.
    I'm outta here.

Brendan
    Looks like brilliant work, I can't imagine there's more than a dozen people in the country that can do this kind of work!

Thanks for returning my 6105 this week, it's running like a dream! Customer service was superb.

I'll send you the 6159 you agreed to service asap.

Cheers

He is saying he’d rather look at the job and ensure the client was happy, rather than quibble over a few quid.
    Yeh exactly that, before the watch has even been looked at money, time and delivery is brought up.
    It wouldn't have even been on my radar, you get the watch back and talk money afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    from what I have read I see him as straight talking and not suffering fools.
    That’s far better than a bluffer in my book.
    I wouldn’t hesitate to send him a watch.
    Brendan once said 'They pay me for my work, not my manner' and I think that's true. ;-)

R

Master
    As a one man band operation myself I would almost always refund if someone felt unhappy with a service provided.
    Its a tough pill to swallow when you have done your damnedest though.
    The toughest bit is not only when its your time but as in this case where you will already have paid someone else involved in the job their fee.
    Hopefully this one will get resolved to both parties satisfaction and Brendan should be given the opportunity to check the watch out and do his best to fix any problems.
    If not a decent compromise may be for Brendan to refund minus any costs he has incurred getting the part made up.
    I remember a guy telling me once"sometimes you need to eat shit" and occasionally this is indeed the case.

Yeh exactly that, before the watch has even been looked at money, time and delivery is brought up.
    It wouldn't have even been on my radar, you get the watch back and talk money afterwards.
    But he is fully aware of what state the watch was in what work he has done, don't think its unreasonable to set out
    exactly what the situation is in advance. would have called that good business practice in these circumstances.
    We arent talking about buying something new and returning it because its faulty.

No idea what business you are in so maybe its better you're way and obviously you're call.

If you’re bold enough to make the post you did, at least stand by it.

Poor form mr chef.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    I'm a sad dribbling sack.
    FTFY

But he is fully aware of what state the watch was in what work he has done, don't think its unreasonable to set out
    exactly what the situation is in advance. would have called that good business practice in these circumstances.
    We arent talking about buying something new and returning it because its faulty.

No idea what business you are in so maybe its better you're way and obviously you're call.
    Automotive industry and I take your point about a new item. I guess it's a little different with our business when something goes wrong. We always tend to look at the issue for free and advise accordingly.
    If we believe it's something we've done we hold our hands up, if it's something which has happened in the meantime then we have a reasonable conversation. One thing is for certain we wouldn't talk money at that stage.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Brendan once said 'They pay me for my work, not my manner' and I think that's true. ;-)

R
    Ralphy, that may well be indeed true, but as we live in the real world one affects the other.

I've never dealt with Brendan and can therefore not comment on his work, although there are clearly many happy customers here and a few not so happy.
    I have used Duncan at Genesis Watchmaking and remember thinking it was bit strange when he told me he was not a member of any watch forum.
    That may not be an unwise business decision.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    FTFY
    A touche surely there Ally
    Straight from your playbook

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    If you’re bold enough to make the post you did, at least stand by it.

Poor form mr chef.
    EDITED

Spot on Ally we agree at last.
    Cute. Perhaps I’m not the monster you think I am.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Ralphy, that may well be indeed true, but as we live in the real world one affects the other.
    I don't disagree about the affect, but as individuals we all differ. For some it's more about the work than the customer and for others it's the reverse, there's only an ideal balance between in the mind of the individual client.

I've never dealt with Brendan and can therefore not comment on his work, although there are clearly many happy customers here and a few not so happy.
    I have used Duncan at Genesis Watchmaking...
    I've dealt with both and IMO they are a good example of my comment 'as individuals we all differ'.

and remember thinking it was bit strange when he told me he was not a member of any watch forum.
    That may not be an unwise business decision.
    Perhaps you're right there.
    On balance Ideally, I'd like to see Duncan contribute here (as Brendan does) because informed comment based on their knowledge and experience is useful to us all.
    R

R
    Looking at the endless ranting about Brendan if you were a watch repairer would you comment here?

R
    ��
    Last edited by alexaff; 16th April 2018 at 20:37.

Automotive industry and I take your point about a new item. I guess it's a little different with our business when something goes wrong. We always tend to look at the issue for free and advise accordingly.
    If we believe it's something we've done we hold our hands up, if it's something which has happened in the meantime then we have a reasonable conversation. One thing is for certain we wouldn't talk money at that stage.
    I have no dog in the fight. So my comments are not in defense if anyone in particular, justvthe situation itself.

So just a quick question, and I know it’s not the same as this watch scenario, but... if you had carried out a job that you felt was some of your better work, and then the customer wanted you to have their car transported back to them at your cost, and inspected at your cost (which might entail a complete or partial engine strip down, when you were more inclined to believe that it was a particular quirk of that specific model of car, would you be so quick to cover the costs.

Master

Title edited to allow some more time

Two sides to every story, as they say.

R
    So why do you always have 4 sides, never mind duel IDs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no dog in the fight. So my comments are not in defense if anyone in particular, justvthe situation itself.

So just a quick question, and I know it’s not the same as this watch scenario, but... if you had carried out a job that you felt was some of your better work, and then the customer wanted you to have their car transported back to them at your cost, and inspected at your cost (which might entail a complete or partial engine strip down, when you were more inclined to believe that it was a particular quirk of that specific model of car, would you be so quick to cover the costs.
    We have means of getting the vehicle back ourselves which would incur very little cost and certainly a sum which wouldn't be worth falling out with someone over. We would know after brief diagnosis if an engine needed to be stripped down and again something which would incur little cost to us.
    Basically, if one of our customers had phoned up saying there was rattling from their engine after we had just done something to it there would be no way on this planet we would talk money at that point.
    Theres ways of dealing with issues and that isn't one of them.