closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Edited again with an apology as I overacted. Another Update

Edited again with an apology as I overacted. Another Update

I think it’s prudent that I update with some background information as to why I reacted the way I did and to apologies to those that I offended. I am currently going through an incredibly stressful situation with my partner due to our second pregnancy and in fact on Thursday thought we had lost the baby. When I messaged Brendan regarding the return I was really upset that it was in my eyes going to be difficult owing to the added terms for the return process. Due to the ongoing stress that I am currently under I admit I overreached and for that I apologize to Brendan & the forum and hopefully this is accepted.

I have uploaded another video of the watch showing the full scale of the noise and the fact it wasn’t running (I didn’t want to risk manually winding it). https://youtu.be/jV2UY8eQbc0 I hope this is clearer and shows the full scale of the issues with the watch. I assume this is the loose rotor as it makes a sound when moved on all axis. Brendan has received the watch back today and told me that it is running. This is a positive as well as a negative as it shows that a part might be on its way out. Brendan has already said the parts for the watch are obsolete but the watch was fully insured with Royal Mail. I don’t hold any grudge towards Brendan for any damage that was caused to the watch wile in Royal Mail’s care as I know it would have been fully working when it left Brendan.

I don’t want to post anymore on the subject yet and will obviously update the thread when I receive it back repaired. Hopefully myself, Brendan and the forum can move on from this. Brendan I’m sorry I overacted and hopefully you accept my apology.

Cheers
    Mr Chef

Brendan has diagnosed the problem was the fact the alarm button was left out and apparently the watch doesn't wind until it is back in its first possession. This is good news as there is no damage inside and the watch will be working perfectly. In fact Brendan has been testing it on the wrist for nearly a week. I should receive the watch back this week.
    Last edited by mr.chef; 23rd April 2018 at 20:13.

Popcorn at the ready.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Saturday night entertainment.......sorted.

Blog Entries
    EDITED
    Last edited by MFB Scotland; 21st April 2018 at 20:19.

Why did you get arsey?

You surely know Brendan can be curt by now?
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Why did you get arsey?

You surely know Brendan can be curt by now?
    I wouldn't call asking for a refund as the watch wasn't repaired arsey, after he said I would have to pay for his time

That’s a shame, hope you get a satisfactory conclusion.

Shouldn’t this be in H&V?

It’s par for the course; he’s great when things are good but there’s getting to be quite a crowd who have sent him watches and would never do so again.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    I wouldn't call asking for a refund as the watch wasn't repaired arsey, after he said I would have to pay for his time
    Think this really should stay between him and you for the time being and straight out quoting
    what presumably would be considered private correspondence isn’t really nice.

But as you have, didn’t he say pay for his time if there is nothing wrong with it.

No. He said you would have to pay for return post, and his time - IF there was nothing wrong with it. Then you got arsey.

Do you seriously beliebevanyone that carried out a service for you, be it a watch, car, motorbike etc. would just refund you, so you could have it looked at elsewhere - without giving them any opportunity to inspect it?
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 14th April 2018 at 20:32.
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

It’s par for the course; he’s great when things are good but there’s getting to be quite a crowd who have sent him watches and would never do so again.
    EDITED
    Last edited by MFB Scotland; 21st April 2018 at 20:20.

Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    I take your point but given the recent threads and increasing negative undertones around his work and his poor attitude I think this thread deserves a high profile. Therefore, for me WT is the most appropriate subforum.
    Fair point. Perhaps a link to a subsequent H&V post once the issue has been resolved would be best; either good or bad depending on the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    No. He said you would have to pay for return post, and his time - IF there was nothing wrong with it. Then you got arsey.
    But already said there was nothing wrong with it. I was asking to return it under warranty as a customer and he decided I was only allowed to if I agreed to (potentially) paying him more money!

You can’t says he’s unwilling to look at it, he said he will. He is doubting your assumption that there is something wrong with it. The only way to find out is send it back.
    As said above, of course he’s not going to refund you the service cost without seeing the watch again.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

It wasn't through this forum that I contacted him for the repair.

Master
    Brendan told me a watch I sent to him was rusted up and had parts that were no longer sourceable. He then helpfully posted it back to an incorrect address. A kindly forum member tracked me down to send it back to me.
    When I alerted Brendan to misdirecting the posting of the watch, mainly to warn him that he may have messed up an address column I got no reply.
    A well known watch repairer on this site subsequently fixed it with minimal fuss.
    Shoddy service throughout . I’ll never use him again.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    You can’t says he’s unwilling to look at it, he said he will. He is doubting your assumption that there is something wrong with it. The only way to find out is send it back.
    As said above, of course he’s not going to refund you the service cost without seeing the watch again.
    I think you haven't read what he wrote correctly. He will only look at it if I agreed to his terms. I don't see a problem with asking for the service price to repair the watch refunded if it's not arrived to me working.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    Brendan told me a watch I sent to him was rusted up and had parts that were no longer sourceable. He then helpfully posted it back to an incorrect address. A kindly forum member tracked me down to send it back to me.
    When I alerted Brendan to misdirecting the posting of the watch, mainly to warn him that he may have messed up an address column I got no reply.
    A well known watch repairer on this site subsequently fixed it with minimal fuss.
    Shoddy service throughout . I’ll never use him again.
    EDITED

But already said there was nothing wrong with it. I was asking to return it under warranty as a customer and he decided I was only allowed to if I agreed to (potentially) paying him more money!
    Had you returned it to him and had he found nothing wrong with it would you have been prepared to pay him for his time?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Not the best of communications, however, I would let Brendan look at it again as he has done the service, it's only fair.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Had you returned it to him and had he found nothing wrong with it would you have been prepared to pay him for his time?

R
    He questioned me twice on if I was telling the truth then suggested that if there was nothing wrong that I pay. The noise is very obvious and rattles when moved on all axis. I even sent him a photo. Would you expect the same response if you were in my situation?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Not the best of communications, however, I would let Brendan look at it again as he has done the service, it's only fair.
    I agree but the added terms are not what I would have expected.

Master
    Can you upload the photo and video you sent?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

The watch isn't even working at all now!

Blog Entries

R
    EDITED

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    Can you upload the photo and video you sent?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    How can I upload a video?

He questioned me twice on if I was telling the truth then suggested that if there was nothing wrong that I pay. The noise is very obvious and rattles when moved on all axis. I even sent him a photo. Would you expect the same response if you were in my situation?
    My question was would you pay him if there was nothing wrong?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    As I understand what the OP wrote, he demanded his money back, without returning the watch for Brendan to check. Do you think any watchmaker would return the money on such a basis? None of the great manufacturers, Rolex, Omega and so on, would accept such a demand. I doubt if any independent repairer would either.
    You needed to return the Omega for Brendan to look at; all he seems to have suggested was that if there was no fault, you should pay the postage.
    If, after the watch was checked, you still weren't happy, then fine. Use TZ to complain; but Brendan's livelihood is being threatened, and you need to be very sure . It seems way too early to pillory the man.
    Incidentally, Brendan returned a watch from service and there seemed a minor problem; he fixed it without complaint or charge, and it works just fine.
    Anyway, the damage has now been done.
    Last edited by paskinner; 14th April 2018 at 20:56.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    This doesn't seem very nice behaviour by the OP. As I understand what he wrote, he demanded his money back, without returning the watch for Brendan to check. Do you think any watchmaker would return the money on such a basis? None of the great manufacturers, Rolex, Omega and so on, would accept such a demand. I doubt if any independent repairer would either.
    You needed to return the Omega for Brendan to look at; all he seems to have suggested was that if there was no fault, you should pay the postage.
    If, after the watch was checked, you still weren't happy, then fine. Use TZ to complain; but Brendan's livelihood is being threatened, and you need to be very sure . It seems way too early to pillory the man.
    Incidentally, Brendan returned a watch from service and there seemed a minor problem; he fixed it without complaint or charge, and it works just fine.
    I wouldn't expect my money back but my comment was in response to Brendan saying he will only look at it if I pay for his time if there is no problem.

Blog Entries
    This doesn't seem very nice behaviour by the OP. As I understand what he wrote, he demanded his money back, without returning the watch for Brendan to check. Do you think any watchmaker would return the money on such a basis? None of the great manufacturers, Rolex, Omega and so on, would accept such a demand. I doubt if any independent repairer would either.
    EDITED

all he seems to have suggested was that if there was no fault, you should pay the postage.
    With respect, if that's all that had been suggested (i.e the cost of postage) I very much doubt the OP would have felt any need to make this post on the forum.

Foggy

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
    With respect, if that's all that had been suggested (i.e the cost of postage) I very much doubt the OP would have felt any need to make this post on the forum.

Foggy
    Exactly. I'm working on uploading a video but it is so obviously not right I can't understand his comments

Fully agree way too soon to post something like this, seems to be becoming the norm, shoot first....

I am about to probably have a major revamp of my collection, intended to offer watches I will be moving on here first but starting to have second thoughts. One typo or slight unintentional mistake and you seem to get vilified
    Last edited by TBKBABAB; 14th April 2018 at 21:05.

https://youtu.be/yvqGeLKM1Qw

Here is the video I sent and the reason I couldn't believe his reply

Master
    Mr Chef
    What was your lack of support and negative response referring to?
    I can't see a response from you on the other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    Wrong.

Webwatchmaker's reputation is at an all time low. What about the mantra "the customer is always right"
    Whoever came up with that stupid saying, the customer is very often wrong it’s just you can’t tell
    them these days or they will be on social media slagging you off and posting untrue reviews.

much prefer the other thread today about a watch repairer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Mr Chef
    What was your lack of support and negative response referring to?
    I can't see a response from you on the other thread.
    Brendan misunderstood a comment I mark on a previous thread praying his work where I said I will hopefully have a watch back soon as its been three months. Brendan was having a part made so I knew it was going to be some time. Unfortunately he thought I was having a go at him and said some things I wouldn't ever expect to say to a customer. He messaged me to apologise but apparently it didn't mean anything.

I can't tell from that, to be honest, if there is a problem or not.

However, the courteous reply from any service provider would, IMHO, have been something along these lines "If you think it's not right, please send it back and I'll run some quick checks. If all is found to be in order, can I please ask that you cover the cost of me sending it back to you following those checks."

Clearly from other replies, this is not necessarily the universal view ;-)

Foggy

I don’t think that’s the right video!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    Whoever came up with that stupid saying, the customer is very often wrong it’s just you can’t tell
    them these days or they will be on social media slagging you off and posting untrue reviews.

EDITED
    Last edited by MFB Scotland; 21st April 2018 at 20:21.

R
    Why should he? The customer is always right ;)
    Last edited by alexaff; 14th April 2018 at 21:12.

Master

Sounds like Skippy the Kangaroo is trapped inside the watch.

As I understand what the OP wrote, he demanded his money back, without returning the watch for Brendan to check. Do you think any watchmaker would return the money on such a basis? None of the great manufacturers, Rolex, Omega and so on, would accept such a demand. I doubt if any independent repairer would either.
    Let me put it this way. You go to a restaurant and order the steak rare but it comes well done. You ask the waitress to return it who says to you that you can but only if you pay her time to take it to the kitchen and the time of the chef if he decides there is no problem.

Brendan didn't even apologise and expected me to return it at my expense so why should he not do the same?

Blog Entries
    Let me put it this way. You go to a restaurant and order the steak rare but it comes well done. You ask the waitress to return it who says to you that you can but only if you pay her time to take it to the kitchen and the time of the chef if he decides there is no problem.

Brendan didn't even apologise and expected me to return it at my expense so why should he not do the same?
    EDITED

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    I am going to make only one reply to this post.
    The messages I sent to him were private and not connected to TZ.
    I have repaired many watches for this man.
    The watch in question is an obsolete Omega memomatic which had a broken escape wheel. I made a new pivot for it.
    The case back was scratched to pieces.
    The watch was on test for a week before it was returned to him.
    It is an alarm watch. What he can hear is the alarm hammer bumping against the gong. Quite normal.
    I told him that he is welcome to return it but if there is no fault that he should pay for my time and return postage.
    Not in any way aggressive.
    He asks then for a full refund. So yes, I told him to get lost ! Having made impossible to obtain parts for him
    I don't claim to be a saint and you are not paying for my temperament.
    I restored a totally rusted out 3135 for him a year or so ago. At a very reasonable price. And several others and made little on this work.
    Never once has he expressed any gratitude.
    Here is the broken escape wheel drilled before repivotting:

Case back before polishing:

Perhaps OP will post a picture after I refinished it.

He buys broken watches on ebay...I presume, and I have asked him before not to send me such worn out bad purchases.
    Because they are uneconomical to repair.
    I see many of the same trolls here as ever.
    I hope you enjoy fighting amongst yourselves about this post.
    This forum has gone seriously downhill over the last year or two.
    I'm outta here.

Brendan

Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    The watch in question is an obsolete Omega memomatic which had a broken escape wheel. I made a new pivot for it.
    It is an alarm watch. What he can hear is the alarm hammer bumping against the gong. Quite normal.
    I told him that he is welcome to return it but if there is no fault that he should pay for my time and return postage.
    He asks then for a full refund. So yes, I told him to get lost ! Having made impossible to obtain parts for him
    I restored a totally rusted out 3135 for him a year or so ago. At a very reasonable price. And several others and made little on this work.

He buys broken watches on ebay...I presume, and I have asked him before not to send me such worn out bad purchases.
    I'm outta here.

Brendan
    So what about my warranty repair on the service?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Is that a close up of radico putty?, looks pretty cool!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post

I'm outta here.

Brendan
    EDITED

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post

I’ll tell you who, an annoying C U Next Tuesday of a person that thinks the world revolves around them! Actually I’d say it originated from some retail training ‘workshop’ and gets banded about by customers.

Bit like the customers that ring me at 10 o clock on a Saturday night and get the arse when I can’t get to them Sunday morning! Then there’s the customers that tell me they’re going to “get themselves a computer and do my job” when they’re annoyed I’m not going to drive an hour to them, diagnose a fault (with my expensive equipment) for free. Or the ones that just want free telephone support etc etc.

There are many customers that are very rude and very wrong, probably spoilt as kids or something.

Brendan misunderstood a comment I mark on a previous thread praying his work where I said I will hopefully have a watch back soon as its been three months. Brendan was having a part made so I knew it was going to be some time. Unfortunately he thought I was having a go at him and said some things I wouldn't ever expect to say to a customer. He messaged me to apologise but apparently it didn't mean anything.
    Youre apparently misunderstood post is what really kicked the other thread off which started as someone saying what a good job he did

‘Nice. Hopefully my Omega will be ready soon as it’s nearly three months’