closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Edited again with an apology as I overacted. Another Update

Quote Originally Posted by Volvomanuk View Post
    So why do you always have 4 sides, never mind duel IDs.
    Duelling ID's, is that where you would challenge Fords?

R
    Last edited by ralphy; 16th April 2018 at 20:56.
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    I’ll make one further post to here then blow out of it.
    Brendan has himself posted lyrical about his offerings ( he’s obviously very talented ) his web page weaves a picture of a cultured artisan. Therefore when you get poor treatment it’s going to put people’s backs up. I’ve been left fuming over my treatment . A simple apology ( obviously won’t get one ) for blatant poor service , cock up. would have helped. I’ve spotted on other postings cryptic comments from others where obviously something has gone on. Brendan’s comments about you don’t pay for my attitude. Well I agree with the poster Frankie about the real World angle to this Brendan is himself projecting an image . He at times is not meeting up to that marketed image. Hence the digs.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    He certainly isn’t the only one. And I wonder why you start dribbling all over threads that attack Brendan.
    Agreed. Fair feedback & complaint in the correct manner is absolutely fine, but recent threads have seen a man's business & person being spitefully attacked.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    I’ll make one further post to here then blow out of it.
    Brendan has himself posted lyrical about his offerings ( he’s obviously very talented ) his web page weaves a picture of a cultured artisan. Therefore when you get poor treatment it’s going to put people’s backs up. I’ve been left fuming over my treatment . A simple apology ( obviously won’t get one ) for blatant poor service , cock up. would have helped. I’ve spotted on other postings cryptic comments from others where obviously something has gone on. Brendan’s comments about you don’t pay for my attitude. Well I agree with the poster Frankie about the real World angle to this Brendan is himself projecting an image . He at times is not meeting up to that marketed image. Hence the digs.
    I remember your watch being posted to another customer, several years ago when I became ill and returned any outstanding repairs as I did not know how long I would be in hospital. My assistant at the time posted it and many others.
    When I realised, I let that customer know and informed him so that it could be returned to you. Only time this has ever happened.
    It was difficult to then apologise when I was unconscious !
    So please accept my apology now.

Mr Chef claims I would not correct any fault with his watch unless he paid for postage and my time. Untrue.
    This is exactly what I did write to him:

"Before you waste money on postage, remember: the hammer for the alarm will sound like something loose inside !"

"Up to you ! You post it and there isn't anything wrong you pay return postage OK ?"

Hardly aggressive but honest and straightforward.

His watch was on test here for a week with no issues.
    I am particularly saddened by Mr Chefs post. I have known him a long time and just bought a little jacket for his new born !

If I do get returns they are dealt with immediately and efficiently.

If my attitude was generally unhelpful I would not have remained in this business for nearly 50 years. It is of course difficult to please everyone.
    The only unhappy clients I have are all on this forum. Two or three maybe.
    I have hundreds on TZ who are repeat customers and some have kindly offered their say here.
    Most of the trolls on here I have never dealt with. Frankly some of the uninformed comments are staggeringly puerile.

I cannot say that it doesn't hurt when a customer is unhappy. It's not what any independent wants.
    I do resolve problems when they arise but cannot be responsible for unfair and biased comments posted by the few forum members with unsubstantiated axes to grind.
    There are other independents on this forum. Perhaps I contribute more than them so my profile is more visible and easier to shoot at.
    I'm taking next month off and will consider which clients to continue working for.
    I will also visit clients in Sicily. But I will complete all my current TZ repairs by then.
    I am offered far more work than I need and could do with a break.
    Perhaps I am good at what I do or maybe it's my polite and subservient manner....!

You ultimately decide !

Sent from my SM-G900F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Webwatchmaker; 15th April 2018 at 09:28.

Master
    You guys are at the point of giving baby presents and nobody picked up the phone before all this s**t went down? 🤔🙄

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    I remember your watch being posted to another customer, several years ago when I became ill and returned any outstanding repairs as I did not know how long I would be in hospital. My assistant at the time posted it and many others.
    When I realised, I let that customer know and informed him so that it could be returned to you. Only time this has ever happened.
    It was difficult to then apologise when I was unconscious !
    So please accept my apology now.

Mr Chef claims I would not correct any fault with his watch unless he paid for postage and my time. Untrue.
    This is exactly what I did write to him:

"Before you waste money on postage, remember: the hammer for the alarm will sound like something loose inside !"

"Up to you ! You post it and there isn't anything wrong you pay return postage OK ?"

Hardly aggressive but honest and straightforward.

His watch was on test here for a week with no issues.
    I am particularly saddened by Mr Chefs post. I have known him a long time and just bought a little jacket for his new born !

If I do get returns they are dealt with immediately and efficiently.

If my attitude was generally unhelpful I would not have remained in this business for nearly 50 years. It is of course difficult to please everyone.
    The only unhappy clients I have are all on this forum. Two or three maybe.
    I have hundreds on TZ who are repeat customers and some have kindly offered their say here.
    Most of the trolls on here I have never dealt with. Frankly some of the uninformed comments are staggeringly puerile.

I cannot say that it doesn't hurt when a customer is unhappy. It's not what any independent wants.
    I do resolve problems when they arise but cannot be responsible for unfair and biased comments posted by the few forum members with unsubstantiated axes to grind.
    There are other independents on this forum. Perhaps I contribute more than them so my profile is more visible and easier to shoot at.
    I'm taking next month off and will consider which clients to continue working for.
    I will also visit clients in Sicily. But I will complete all my current TZ repairs by then.
    I am offered far more work than I need and could do with a break.
    Perhaps I am good at what I do or maybe it's my polite and subservient manner....!

You ultimately decide !

Ok that is accepted on my part. You cannot control a process as you say when incapacitated.
    A point in future you might be better sending out a general sorry I’ve not been well message to the email lists when you are able to , that would tend to cut gripes out with immediate effect. Though obviously illness is a personal thing so I get that as well .

Sorry to hear that you were not well and hope all is now a lot better.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    Ok that is accepted on my part. You cannot control a process as you say when incapacitated.
    A point in future you might be better sending out a general sorry I’ve not been well message to the email lists when you are able to , that would tend to cut gripes out with immediate effect. Though obviously illness is a personal thing so I get that as well .

Sorry to hear that you were not well and hope all is now a lot better.
    Good to know.
    Such a message was sent. By my nephew to this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    We have means of getting the vehicle back ourselves which would incur very little cost and certainly a sum which wouldn't be worth falling out with someone over. We would know after brief diagnosis if an engine needed to be stripped down and again something which would incur little cost to us.
    Basically, if one of our customers had phoned up saying there was rattling from their engine after we had just done something to it there would be no way on this planet we would talk money at that point.
    Theres ways of dealing with issues and that isn't one of them.
    Thank you for the response.

I have followed your threads on some of the work you've carried out, and on your general advice on particular models. If I was in the position to, I would gladly use your services - and your approach to customer service is both refreshing and reassuring!
    It's just a matter of time...

I'm not criticising OP here, this is just some rumination of my own...

It must be so frustrating being a watchmaker at times, essentially doing something for the love of it and often not being able to charge in full because you want to perform economic repairs to help people out.

Buy a knackered old thing, send it off to someone to 'fix', they realise that the cost to fix it is way more than the item is worth, but because they're good hearted, they keep costs as low as possible, charge the bare minimum for their time because they know you aren't expecting a bill for more than they paid for the item in the first place, and then get it thrown back in your face sometimes.

This, to me, would be incredibly disheartening if I were to do this as a service for people... And then to be bad-mouthed on forums to boot. Jeez, why would anybody do it?

Master
    I agree with that. I don't know why, but a harsh, unkind, tone has become increasingly obvious. Which is a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I agree with that. I don't know why, but a harsh, unkind, tone has become increasingly obvious. Which is a shame.
    At times that's true, but the forum has always had a no BS tone and we need to try and strike a balance and try to maintain that.

Some of the new member Troll posts have highlighted why a different approach just doesn't cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Thank you for the response.

I have followed your threads on some of the work you've carried out, and on your general advice on particular models. If I was in the position to, I would gladly use your services - and your approach to customer service is both refreshing and reassuring!
    Thank you.

The issue I see nowadays is that there's many people out there who shout when something goes wrong but do very little when someone goes out of their way to do an outstanding job, I guess as customers we all want and expect a service we are happy with. This I'm sure was probably the case with the story unfolding here. It's clear to see that Brendan knows what he is doing and has loads of great reviews in this forum and beyond. This is in no way a directed critism but it grates me when basic issues such as communication can make a massive impact and paint someone in a light which in general isn't correct.
    Most of the time if something is handled correctly a problem can be turned around to a positive, giving the OP little need to start a thread and giving others the opportunity to dig the knife in.
    Like I say I'm not critising, I'm sure we all do things incorrectly sometimes but surely a simple" yes no problems, get the watch back to me and I'll check it over would be the correct process, rather than to suggest that a customer is wrong and they stump up all expenses if there's nothing wrong with it.
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 15th April 2018 at 12:05.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    I'm not criticising OP here, this is just some rumination of my own...

It must be so frustrating being a watchmaker at times, essentially doing something for the love of it and often not being able to charge in full because you want to perform economic repairs to help people out.

Buy a knackered old thing, send it off to someone to 'fix', they realise that the cost to fix it is way more than the item is worth, but because they're good hearted, they keep costs as low as possible, charge the bare minimum for their time because they know you aren't expecting a bill for more than they paid for the item in the first place, and then get it thrown back in your face sometimes.

This, to me, would be incredibly disheartening if I were to do this as a service for people... And then to be bad-mouthed on forums to boot. Jeez, why would anybody do it?

You’re right totally.

I have a lot of sympathy for them and I only know 1/100,000th of what it must be like doing stuff for people on watches. Generally everyone I’ve dealt with on a ‘helping out’ level have been great and trusted me. I’m doing an omega for someone at the moment that “just needed regulating” and I’ve ended up stripping and servicing it repairing the centre wheel as the bushing was detached (which was the actual problem), fitting a new mainspring and it drags on for days as the Watch sits testing through its power reserve.

Now looking at this thread if I’d done that for someone on here I can see a thread “sent my Watch off to James for regulation and he had it ages and it cost me loads”

It’s a basic lack of understanding on behalf of a customer, bit like my own trade. Customer says “it just needs xyz” and if you actually just did xyz the problem would not be fixed and you’d be bad mouthed. So you spend hours longer fixing ‘pqrstuvwxyz’ and if you ask for more money you’re a con artist, if you ask for no extra then you just set a president for having the mickey taken out of you forever more.

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    You’re right totally.

I have a lot of sympathy for them and I only know 1/100,000th of what it must be like doing stuff for people on watches. Generally everyone I’ve dealt with on a ‘helping out’ level have been great and trusted me. I’m doing an omega for someone at the moment that “just needed regulating” and I’ve ended up stripping and servicing it repairing the centre wheel as the bushing was detached (which was the actual problem), fitting a new mainspring and it drags on for days as the Watch sits testing through its power reserve.

Now looking at this thread if I’d done that for someone on here I can see a thread “sent my Watch off to James for regulation and he had it ages and it cost me loads”

It’s a basic lack of understanding on behalf of a customer, bit like my own trade. Customer says “it just needs xyz” and if you actually just did xyz the problem would not be fixed and you’d be bad mouthed. So you spend hours longer fixing ‘pqrstuvwxyz’ and if you ask for more money you’re a con artist, if you ask for no extra then you just set a president for having the mickey taken out of you forever more.
    There is zero issue if this is communicated over surely?
    If someone is expecting a quick regulation but because of further problems your repair takes longer, then a quick call, PM, email, text would negate all of that.....I may be missing something here.

If someone is expecting a quick regulation but because of further problems your repair takes longer, then a quick call, PM, email, text would negate all of that.....I may be missing something here.
    That would work, but I’ve had several instances of “oh we also had to do the...” when I’ve gone to pick something up, which would/could have been avoided - especially things like new brake pads, car battery (when I know the battery was low, but fine) - I’ve had lots of instances like that over the last 30 years, and needless to say generally use someone else for those tasks.

Banned
    I read the above with interest.
    In truth I rarely get an awkward customer these days.
    I love working on watches and will do so til I physically cannot.
    In this case we both lost our cool and are resolving the issue.
    Both of us got grumpy.
    All will end well. Otherwise I wouldn't do this work.

Banned
    Repairs can take me from this:

To this:

....In the same week.
    Both watches of equal value to their owners and both therefore of equal importance to me as their mender.

Brendan
    Last edited by Webwatchmaker; 15th April 2018 at 12:22.

That would work, but I’ve had several instances of “oh we also had to do the...” when I’ve gone to pick something up, which would/could have been avoided - especially things like new brake pads, car battery (when I know the battery was low, but fine) - I’ve had lots of instances like that over the last 30 years, and needless to say generally use someone else for those tasks.
    They should never do that especially when a quick call to authorise further work is easy nowadays.
    If we're talking a few quid then fair enough but to fit a major component like brakes etc without having the decency of picking up the phone is wrong

Master
    That was my point in a roundabout way, even this scenario was being communicated over behind the scenes (like it should have stayed until resolved one way or another). Yet it gets a jump the gun thread of its own where people can kick the watchmaker for free.

If anything these threads lately will serve only to put off watchmakers working for people.

If I’d laboured over my job to earn £400+ and the customer just said “pay me back” for all the work I’d done when they are most likely in the wrong I wouldn’t be rushing to help them in the future that’s for sure.

To this:

....In the same week.
    Both watches of equal value to their owners and both therefore of equal importance to me as their mender.

Brendan
    Well in that case I’ll have that second one, Brendan. Please
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Banned
    Well in that case I’ll have that second one, Brendan. Please
    Sorry. You're too late. Owner collected it Friday.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I can see a few rust spots on those roamer hands!!

Sorry. You're too late. Owner collected it Friday.

Curses! I am not a fan of regulators but that one is rather splendid.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Naaah ! Fully serviced by Roamer. Must be the photo...

Brendan

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Nah, it's just the way the light is catching them ;-)
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Banned
    TBH It needs a good clean, dial restoration, new hands, glass and crown. Movement has survived remarkably.

I don't think money should be even brought up at this stage. If one of our customers phoned up and said we had done something wrong the first priority would be to get the issue looked at, money and costs shouldn't even be on the table.
    In the grand scheme of things if he's so confident there's nothing wrong with it, how long is it going to take and at what expense? For the sake of £20 postage and half hours time there's no point in annoying a customer..
    Quite - when a customer has a problem it is often an opportunity to win them for life with the response.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Quite - when a customer has a problem it is often an opportunity to win them for life with the response.
    Absolutely, but as a business owner - sometimes I just decide that I really don't want to deal with certain people or companies anymore, so I don't! That's life/my choice. I'm far too polite at times to always vtell them how I feel, but sometimes I do.

To this:

....In the same week.

Brendan
    I know you have done in the past but would it be possible to post a few before and after pictures of the work you have done? Some of the best threads are ones where watches are restored back to use again.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    I know you have done in the past but would it be possible to post a few before and after pictures of the work you have done? Some of the best threads are ones where watches are restored back to use again.
    Of course. When time allows it will be a pleasure to share.

Brendan

Agreed.

Absolutely, but as a business owner - sometimes I just decide that I really don't want to deal with certain people or companies anymore, so I don't! That's life/my choice. I'm far too polite at times to always vtell them how I feel, but sometimes I do.
    Also agreed.

The two comments are not mutually exclusive.

I am afraid this time is long gone. All you’ve done going out of your way was maybe win them until next time*. Where they’ll expect at least the same over and above. Or tear you a new one on Twitter.

* unless of course they find cheaper. In which case they’ll expect the same from their new supplier, or they’ll come to you to fix it. Ideally for free.

Master
    I am afraid this time is long gone. All you’ve done going out of your way was maybe win them until next time*. Where they’ll expect at least the same over and above. Or tear you a new one on Twitter.

* unless of course they find cheaper. In which case they’ll expect the same from their new supplier, or they’ll come to you to fix it. Ideally for free.
    I run an internet business, so it’s as anonymous as is possible and I can confirm this is absolutely not the case.

It might be less common, but it’s not gone. Especially in niche markets, where I operate and I would suggest watchmakers operate.

I get repeat custom if my price is “near enough” the cheapest they can find because they know I will stand over the product 100%, should a problem arise.

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    That was my point in a roundabout way, even this scenario was being communicated over behind the scenes (like it should have stayed until resolved one way or another). Yet it gets a jump the gun thread of its own where people can kick the watchmaker for free.

If anything these threads lately will serve only to put off watchmakers working for people.

If I’d laboured over my job to earn £400+ and the customer just said “pay me back” for all the work I’d done when they are most likely in the wrong I wouldn’t be rushing to help them in the future that’s for sure.
    I think it greatly depends on how you view your customers, part of great customer service is to indentify those who need the extra loving and to adjust yourself accordingly. I'm a big believer that most people fall in to several categories. You have the people who want to know everything about what your doing for them, they want explanations, photos, updates, they need to reason what you're telling them and only after they're 100% happy will they act upon it. You have other people who literally don't care and all they're interested is getting the job done as soon as they can with as little distruption to their lives. Cost generally isn't an issue for these people. You can have others who will be very light hearted but can turn on a sixpence, these people are generally difficult to read and you find you're walking on eggshells all the time.

I have only been in business a few years however my database of customers would be nowhere near it is if i made the assumption that customers were in general idiots and time wasters. I could have had many opportunities to tell someone to do one in that time but we dont, we suck it up and get on with it.
    That doesn't mean that we are easily walked over, after being in any trade for 30 years you know how to deal with certain people and again adjust yourself accordingly.

Weve all laboured over a job only for the ungrateful customer to have no appreciation of what's been achieved, in fact I'd say it was almost a weekly occurrence, however if you're dealing with the public you're always going to get this. In my mind you have 2 options, either smile politely and know that you've done the best you can and that customer is likely to come back or shut down your operation and flip patties in Burger King.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Care to explain what I wrote that you disagree with, Al?

Duelling ID's, is that where you would challenge Fords?

R
    You’ve got me now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    I have run a successful watch repairing business for nearly 50 years.
    There are customers of all descriptions. Some appreciative and others not so. But the Internet has allowed people to publish remarks not necessarily truthful, and without fear of repercussions. This may be because they are jealous of skills they do not have, have nothing better to do or just write rubbish to cause offence.
    I appear to be the only independent who has raised his head above the parapet. Given my prominence on this forum I expect to be shot at from time to time even with blank cartridges ! Negative comments are hurtful but I know that I provide an excellent, cost effective and efficient service.
    If I am in error I have no fear of admitting it. I'm not perfect.
    What irritates me are people who complain without justification, those who complain about my services but have never used them and others who make a mountain out of a molehill and would no doubt be just as impolite to their own customers when they at the same time sanctimoniously criticise me for having the nerve to defend myself.
    I am still happy to attend repairs for TZ members despite one or two writing to the contrary.
    I will however be taking a break for the whole of May.
    Repairing watches is an intensive occupation and we all need a rest from time to time.
    Wherever possible I provide updates with photographs to show the customer the progress of their watch repairs. A service not provided by any of the major watch houses and where those watchmakers often refuse to talk to their customers but have their Ill informed receptionists do so instead.

Last edited by Webwatchmaker; 15th April 2018 at 19:10.

I currently have a watch with Brendan and as it's a 'niche watch' from a small watchmaker, things have not been straightforward. However, he has gone our of his way to explain the issues, source parts (by contacting the watchmaker who is based overseas), make suggestions and generally offer a solution based approach. Given the watch in question, I suspect others might have said 'thanks but no thanks'. Moreover, he has kept me updated with pics throughout the process and we are nearly at the end of it. So far, it hasn't taken as long as I thought it might and his comms have been excellent and very friendly indeed. Thank you Brendan.

Brendan repaired my Doxa T-Graph that was missing crowns and pushers and god knows what else after it went above and beyond the call of duty! I received it back in excellent condition with him providing videos and photo updates all through the work, and dealt with Doxa for spare parts. However after a while it always stopped at a particular time. Got in-contact with Brendan who had an idea what the problem was, sent it back and was returned to me in perfect working order. and still runs excellently No dramas, no problems just sorted.

Hence why he has repaired a few more for me, and I will continue to use him in the future when the need arises.

He is far from the only one.
    Indeed.

I have kept out of these threads until now, but reading some of the distasteful comments about Brendan here prompts me to report on my experiences.

I have used Brendan's services a number of times since being a member of TZ-UK, including on these two watches:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...85-Resurrected

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...rard-Perregaux

Hopefully the photos show the quality of the work that has been delivered, even on what are - at the end of the day - watches at the cheaper end of the scale.

In the case of the G-P, as I reported in the thread above, the watch arrived with the minute hand loose.

I suppose in my state of disappointment I could have come on here and posted a complaint about receiving a "faulty" watch after a service?

However the reality is that I have had the identical issue with other vintage watches I have sent elsewhere for repair in the past, and see it simply as one of the challenges of sending elderly timepieces through the post. As it happens, Brendan could not have been more helpful, inspecting and resolving the issue by return. Naturally, there was no charge.

In addition to the threads above, Brendan completed work on my wife's Rolex. The first time this was simply because it was due a service. Some months later, however, my wife told me that the timing had become sporadic. I contacted Brendan and he asked me to send the watch back. This I did, and upon inspection it turned out that one of the jewels for the automatic winding wheel had shattered.

I suppose in my state of disappointment I could have come on here and posted a complaint about a watch that had been serviced that now needed to be repaired?

However how do you prevent or predict a jewel shattering?

A shattered jewel can spread debris. Brendan prioritised the watch service - stripping and cleaning the movement, replacing the jewel and re-assembling as necessary. Also (with my prior agreement) he replaced the crystal, re-polished the case and bracelet, and replaced the seals. I sent the watch to Brendan on the 29th December and received it back on the 16th January. I hope Brendan does not mind me reporting this, but the cost for all of the above was £305 including postage. The watch came back in such fine condition that even my wife commented on it and it continues to keep time perfectly.

Without exception dealing with Brendan has been a pleasure.

In every case he has offered both knowledgeable and impartial advice, to the extent of advising me against having work done that would clearly have generated income for him. He has kept me informed of the progress of all the work, including regular updates via phone and email as well as photos, some of which I took the liberty to include in the above posts. More than that, he has very kindly sent me information about various watches and clocks simply because he is aware of my interest in them.

I will quite happily send any of my watches to Brendan in the future, knowing that I will get an honest and informed opinion of the work that is necessary as well as top class service based on his years of experience.

I'm wondering how hard OP will be cringing in case there is nothing wrong with ze watch.

I think it’s prudent that I update with some background information as to why I reacted the way I did and to apologies to those that I offended. I am currently going through an incredibly stressful situation with my partner due to our second pregnancy and in fact on Thursday thought we had lost the baby. When I messaged Brendan regarding the return I was really upset that it was in my eyes going to be difficult owing to the added terms for the return process. Due to the ongoing stress that I am currently under I admit I overreached and for that I apologize to Brendan & the forum and hopefully this is accepted.

I have uploaded another video of the watch showing the full scale of the noise and the fact it wasn’t running (I didn’t want to risk manually winding it). https://youtu.be/jV2UY8eQbc0 I hope this is clearer and shows the full scale of the issues with the watch. I assume this is the loose rotor as it makes a sound when moved on all axis. Brendan has received the watch back today and told me that it is running. This is a positive as well as a negative as it shows that a part might be on its way out. Brendan has already said the parts for the watch are obsolete but the watch was fully insured with Royal Mail. I don’t hold any grudge towards Brendan for any damage that was caused to the watch wile in Royal Mail’s care as I know it would have been fully working when it left Brendan.

I don’t want to post anymore on the subject yet and will obviously update the thread when I receive it back repaired. Hopefully myself, Brendan and the forum can move on from this. Brendan I’m sorry I overacted and hopefully you accept my apology.

Cheers
    Mr Chef

I will also visit clients in Sicily.
    There are daily ferries and flights from Sicily to Malta if you want to visit your client here too - I will provide lunch/dinner and as much alcohol as you can drink.

I have a condition though Brendan - I want to remain on the list of clients you keep!

Have a good break.

Adrian

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    There are daily ferries and flights from Sicily to Malta if you want to visit your client here too - I will provide lunch/dinner and as much alcohol as you can drink.

I have a condition though Brendan - I want to remain on the list of clients you keep!

Have a good break.

Adrian
    Dear Adrian,
    That really is a kind offer and in Sicilian dialogue, one I cannot refuse !
    I have already planned for Malta as I am an avid Game of Thrones watcher.
    If it's OK I will contact you when in Catania.
    *I think the one or two on my blocked list will know who they are.
    Thanks.

Last edited by Webwatchmaker; 17th April 2018 at 14:16.

Good luck and best wishes with the pregnancy and new family member Mr Chef!

Banned
    Good luck and best wishes with the pregnancy and new family member Mr Chef!
    Seconded.
    And apology humbly accepted.

Brendan
    Last edited by Webwatchmaker; 17th April 2018 at 14:27.

Blog Entries
    The context of this post is that Brendan and I have exchanged some robust personal messages over the last couple of days and it has given me some time to reflect on the comments I made last Saturday on this thread.

The comments I made were in response to those originally posted by Mr Chef who subsequently provided more information and indeed apologised to Brendan. My posts focused on my perceptions of his attitude and approach to customer care and none were directed at his skills or track record over a long period of time as a watchmaker. Actually, I am always amazed at the craft that watchmakers display. I know he has many hundreds of satisfied customers including a number of TZ'ers who posted on this thread and others.

I do not know Brendan in real life and have never had any personal dealings with him.We all form views about people on the forum based on our perceptions and after our "chats" I have taken the opportunity to apologise to Brendan for any upset I caused him. Brendan by his own admission can react to posts and I too can display similar traits (like many others on TZ). However, our pms have provided me with a greater level of understanding and I am sorry that my comments caused him upset.

I hope Brendan appreciates the sentiment behind this post and accepts my apology. I will also edit my historic comments in the interests of balance and fairness.

Master
    ^ you were a bit like a dog with a bone, MFB !

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    The context of this post is that Brendan and I have exchanged some robust personal messages over the last couple of days and it has given me some time to reflect on the comments I made last Saturday on this thread.

The comments I made were in response to those originally posted by Mr Chef who subsequently provided more information and indeed apologised to Brendan. My posts focused on my perceptions of his attitude and approach to customer care and none were directed at his skills or track record over a long period of time as a watchmaker. Actually, I am always amazed at the craft that watchmakers display. I know he has many hundreds of satisfied customers including a number of TZ'ers who posted on this thread and others.

I do not know Brendan in real life and have never had any personal dealings with him.We all form views about people on the forum based on our perceptions and after our "chats" I have taken the opportunity to apologise to Brendan for any upset I caused him. Brendan by his own admission can react to posts and I too can display similar traits (like many others on TZ). However, our pms have provided me with a greater level of understanding and I am sorry that my comments caused him upset.

I hope Brendan appreciates the sentiment behind this post and accepts my apology. I will also edit my historic comments in the interests of balance and fairness.
    Hats off to you, and respect for posting this.

One of the most interesting threads into, not horological repair, but human psychology, that I have read for a long time.

I hope that both parties continue to work out their differences and the current stressful time for the OP soon results in a very positive outcome for him and his partner. From past experience of my wife's pregnancies, I have an understanding of how he must be feeling and the impact that such acute stress can temporarily have upon your normal mode of behaviour.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app