closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Best Tv for around £1k

Best Tv for around £1k

I've got the urge to get a new TV, so looking to get a 55in (no bigger). Picture quality is of course paramount, so using the knowledge of this portal, what would be the best TV for my budget at this moment in time?

Journeyman
    so if you are getting 4k (of course you are sir) then the thing to get is HDR. not just any old hdr mind you, try ensure HDR10. they are meant to be the best panels with the darkest black and contrast. hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by emo72 View Post
    so if you are getting 4k (of course you are sir) then the thing to get is HDR. not just any old hdr mind you, try ensure HDR10. they are meant to be the best panels with the darkest black and contrast. hope this helps.
    For £1k?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    For £1k?
    no hdr10 panels for 1k yet?. i thought prices were dropping like stones? according to richer sounds there is actually

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-proj...ze_breaks=1368

Mumsnet
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely keep that in mind when looking.

I've spoken to someone at Richer Sounds today and they were pushing the Sony Smart LED XF range. Just been released. Slightly above your budget.

I plumped for a 40" Samsung QLED for £1129. Should be delivered tomorrow.

Craftsman
    If you can stretch to £1100 the Sony 55XE9005 is highly reviewed. Bang on budget is the Samsung 55MU8000. A cheaper alternative is another Sony, the 55XE8596 at £850.

You don't say what the TV will be fed from. You can't avoid 4K screens these days, but if you are mostly watching standard definition channels and DVD's then the 4K HDR performance is not that important, it's the upscaling that is key.
    Last edited by StackH; 14th April 2018 at 06:49.

Master
    I have a 49” xe9005 and have been very impressed indeed. If that in 55 is in budget then worth a look. As above the xf range will likely take 6-9 months to fall to around the grand
    Last edited by Padders; 14th April 2018 at 07:46.

Master
    no hdr10 panels for 1k yet?. i thought prices were dropping like stones? according to richer sounds there is actually

There is HDR and HDR. Most of those pay lip services only. The XE is about the cheapest which does it properly.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Nit done any research recently on TVs but the Samsung Q panels look amazing whenever I walk past one

Check out this https://www.avforums.com/threads/my-...uides.2116485/

My budget was also about 1k, I ended up getting the 55 inch Sony XE9005 as recommended earlier in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by StackH View Post
    If you can stretch to £1100 the Sony 55XE9005 is highly reviewed. Bang on budget is the Samsung 55MU8000. A cheaper alternative is another Sony, the 55XE8596 at £850.

You don't say what the TV will be fed from. You can't avoid 4K screens these days, but if you are mostly watching standard definition channels and DVD's then the 4K HDR performance is not that important, it's the upscaling that is key.

Good point's, Mostly the feed will be 720 HD from Freeview/Youview and also HD from various internet sources. I don't watch as much TV as I used to except for sport's and film's.

Budget wise, I would go up to £1200 for the right model.

-----

Thanks guys for the insight's, TV technology has moved on significantly since I last looked into it, so your help is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by zippy; 14th April 2018 at 10:57.

Master
    What Hi Fi TV reviews are worth a look:

https://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/tvs

Master
    You are probably better off looking at rtngs.com. Just bear in mind model numbers can slightly differ between the UK and US. Then check on avforums for user views

Master
    No advice regarding a set but If you're buying one would recommend either John lewis or Richer Sounds, both offer extended warranties FOC and customer services are second to none....

Quote Originally Posted by mijyou View Post
    Check out this https://www.avforums.com/threads/my-...uides.2116485/

My budget was also about 1k, I ended up getting the 55 inch Sony XE9005 as recommended earlier in the thread.
    My brother's just bought one on my recommendation. He's mightily impressed with it.

Point taken. I should have searched more.

Master
    Push the budget slightly and buy one of these while you still can https://www.hificonfidential.co.uk/s...iABEgJLyPD_BwE
    I have the 65 inch version and it’s a very good television indeed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    One thing often missed is the UI of a smart TV, it might have the blackest blacks and the latest HDR but if you can't figure out how to use it it's pretty useless. Personally my favorite UI on a TV is the WebOS one on LG's sets, miles better than any android based interface I've used to date with no issues with things like 4k Netflix or Prime.

Just to throw a recommendation for LG here. I have a 50" LG, bought in Q4 2017 for about £800.

Some TV, the user interface is very well done.

Interesting thread. We need a new TV as our 12 year old 37 inch Toshiba has finally become too annoying. Picture has a lot of blotches (brown blotches when image is white or light), bass sounds now vibrate the speakers/internals and it emits a constant loud high pitched whining noise (that might be the wife though). We managed smart features with Apple TV but that’s been playing up recently too. It’s bonus month so decided it’s time.
    Any bigger than a 49 inch would not fit in the space we have so I was a bit limited with choice. I researched a lot and just ordered a Sony KD49XE9005. These got great reviews at well over £1k last year and I paid just over £900 for mine. Not many places have stock left as it’s last years model but I tracked one down. Should be delivered tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    I have a 49” xe9005 and have been very impressed indeed. If that in 55 is in budget then worth a look. As above the xf range will likely take 6-9 months to fall to around the grand
    I've had the XD9005 for around 18 months and cannot fault it, the Android can be a bit sluggish but other than that with the right source fed to it the picture is superb.

I have read a few threads on faulty power boards etc with the Sony's but all can be rectified via warranty.

I detest Samsung, we have 3 in the house and all are awful, there OS is a joke.

Just bought a Samsung QLED. Retails at around 1200 but we had a 600 quid voucher after our Panasonic went. Picture is staggering. Just do it. I ummed and arred and went for it. Brilliant TV. 55 inch.

Bloody 'phones.

Thank's for all your input guys. At least this has giving me a good head's up on what to look for.

My 49XE9005 arrived today and have just set it up. Amazing TV. Netflix looks incredible compared with the old box.