closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Naked Wines

Master

Naked Wines

I’ve just used a £30 off voucher against a case of mixed reds and so far I’m impressed. I’m on the waiting list to be a wine angel for £20 a month which goes towards purchases from Naked. Are any of you signed up to Naked and do you think it is worth it?

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Yes,I've been a member of Naked for some time and I definitely think it is worth it. I have never had a wine I was disappointed with and I've discovered some absolutely excellent winemakers.
    I have been a member of the Times and Laithwaites in the past and prefer Naked.

I am. Have been for 5 years. I love it. Sipping one of their Puglia Primitivo's right now. Bliss.

They do a fantastic Christmas deal too. All the people you speak to on the phone are very knowledgeable and friendly. They are actually incentivised to give you a refund of some sort.

Enjoy - I don't think you will regret it.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    ^^^ regards comment above about customer service...they are very friendly and accommodating.
    I once got very,very happy <ahem> at one of their wine tasting events. I phoned them up a day later to ask what I'd actually ordered (you could order on the day) and when the nice lady got to about £400 worth of wine she laughed and said would I like to reduce my order a little. She also said that I was by no means the first person to do so!

I am a Angel and have been for about 10 years. The wine is excellent, but you do get quite a few emails (usually for Eamon) offering special deals, reminding me about my account balance and wine markers/growers looking for money. It's quite interesting but can fill your inbox up

i buy about 4 cases a year, in the mean time I stock the cellar with wines from Lidi - also excellent.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    We use Laithwaites quite alot although their wine has increased in price alot of late. You have to wait for the decent offers and use quidco too.
    I was a Naked member and I liked the Angel principle but in the end I cancelled as I got thoroughly fed up of their marketing. Lots of it and not relevant in most cases. Haven't tried again recently. The wine society gets good review I gather but when the supermarkets are doing 25% off 6 or more on top of other discounts it can be hard to beat if you choose carefully in a big store.

Craftsman
    I've been with naked wines for years. Only ever called them once about a bottle which I thought was off and they refunded me for that and also for the 2nd bottle of the same wine I bought. I buy about 2 cases a year and they are mix of expensive bottles from their 'fine wine' section and some for regular drinking. It is also a mix of my regulars and a few new bottles to try. However, I've really cut my drinking down tremendously as I've decided that no level of alcohol is good for you. I only have something to drink now for special occasions. I've just called them to put a 'hold' on my account for the next 6 months. During that time, they won't take the £20 a month. Great and helpful company to deal with.

How does NW compared to Virgin wines as I have been with the later for many years and wondered if NW were better

I usually use Laithwaites but tried a Naked case last year (£60 off voucher was the incentive). I did not think the wines quite matched up to the Laithwaites reds I was used to so didn't persue the offer of becoming an Angel. I noticed that even at Angel prices, they are far more expensive than Laithwaites for the sort of wine I drink (YMMV). Laithwaites always have plenty of offers on so I only tend to buy when tempted by one of those (3 cases a year ish).

Master
    Been with Virgin, Laithwaites and the Times but prefer Naked- Been an “angel” from almost the beginning. Now owned by Majestic and the number of emails seem to have increased but nowhere near as many I used to get from Laithwaites.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Shared a case of Red with my Bro to try them out, very impressed

I tried a mixed case of NWs a few month ago, not a patch on the Wine Society in my opinion.

Craftsman
    Agree, having tried Virgin, Naked and Laithwaites - I'd say The Wine Society is far better.

I'm with Naked and am very happy... it's nice to support some good independent winemakers rather than the big boys that you see on the shelves in Tesco.

There are better value 'clubs' out there, but I've no complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatco1800es View Post
    Agree, having tried Virgin, Naked and Laithwaites - I'd say The Wine Society is far better.
    This. Lots.

I’m a member of NW and The Wine Society, I would say the latter is probably a touch better overall but as has already been mentioned NW customer service is incredibly good. Christian Patat’s offerings on NW are a particular favourite.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    I was a member for several years and would usually make one or two case purchases per year. I found that too much of their wine was young and lacking in depth. Don’t misunderstand, it was all drinkable - just not of a great standard. Laithwaites are far better.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

slightly off topic but I use a app called vivino. I've ordered several wine off the app and haven't been disappointed yet. The main point of the app is you can take a picture of the bottle label and it'll give you reviews and prices. You can build your virtual cellar and it'll start to recommend wines based on your past purchases / reviews.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bendigits View Post
    I’m a member of NW and The Wine Society, I would say the latter is probably a touch better overall but as has already been mentioned NW customer service is incredibly good. Christian Patat’s offerings on NW are a particular favourite.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I’ve been a member of the Wine Society for 30 years. Never come across any other organisation of any sort with better customer service.
    Wines are consistently good as well!

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    slightly off topic but I use a app called vivino. I've ordered several wine off the app and haven't been disappointed yet. The main point of the app is you can take a picture of the bottle label and it'll give you reviews and prices. You can build your virtual cellar and it'll start to recommend wines based on your past purchases / reviews.
    I also use Vivino, particularly as I try wines a lot when I travel.

It is the last app I’d delete from my iPhone!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
    I’ve been a member of the Wine Society for 30 years. Never come across any other organisation of any sort with better customer service.
    Wines are consistently good as well!
    It's effectively a co-operative/mutual, isn't it? They are there to provide good products and service, end of - no profit/shareholder pressure. It's a winning formula for them!

A friend mentioned he has £20pm in Naked Wines and they sound to have an interesting business model.

My problem is I don't drink enough! The choice from the Wine Society alone is bewildering!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    It's effectively a co-operative/mutual, isn't it? They are there to provide good products and service, end of - no profit/shareholder pressure. It's a winning formula for them!
    Correct - when you join you effectively become a shareholder.

The huge range is certainly bewildering at first; a good way to start is through their mixed cases and monthly offers. You’ll soon discover what you like.

I have been an Angel for a few years now and it works OK for me.
    I buy 5/6 cases a year from them and always have the Christmas special selection.
    They are now part of the Majestic Group I believe.

Master
    I've been reading this thread with interest - whilst I'm not a 'big' wine drinker I do like Red wine with a meal or sometimes on its own after food.

So - a question to the experts out there....

I very much like the Yellow Tail 'Jammy Red Roo' or 'Jam Shed' Shiraz red wine that I buy from Tesco. They are both really fruity and very drinkable.

Can anybody recommend any other similar tasting red wines??

I have tried other more expensive wines in the hope that they taste similar but usually end up disappointed....... and out of pocket!

Also would it help to join something like 'Naked' to broaden my knowledge?

Thanks in advance

Mike

Master
    Blog Entries
    Italian Primitivo are very fruit forward so you'd probably like them. As usual don't go too cheap and you should get something very drinkable.

Craftsman
    I've just been sent a £60 off min £99.99 spend NW voucher. For less than £4 a bottle I'll give it a go.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Italian Primitivo are very fruit forward so you'd probably like them. As usual don't go too cheap and you should get something very drinkable.
    Thanks for the heads up... i'll give it a try...

Mike