closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SOTC - Major change begins - Update

SOTC - Major change begins - Update

Having spent 3 weeks trying to get my wife her grail by moving on a number of her watches thought I should do a SOTC before deciding
    if I will do something similar.

The majority I have obtained in the last 8 years.

The one I have had longest is the Bimetal Seiko which was a gift the first time I visited Tokyo in the mid 80's after that it is the Piaget which my wife bought me in I believe 87.

Apart from a couple of cheap beaters there was then a big gap until I bought the Old Rolex (I am not 100 percent sure its not a franken) for peanuts in Camden market in the mid 90's. I had actually forgotten
    I had this till I found it in the back of a draw last year.

It was really the GMT which started me off I bought this about 14 years ago and then went through a phase of buying and flipping Seiko and Micro brand Dive watches the only surviving ones are the Magritte and the Seiko kinetic which I bought used as a beater.

The others have mainly been bought in the last 8 years and haven't sold anything except a couple of the Micro brand watches and a Speedy reduced (which I replaced with the full size) during this time and the only one I have bought in the last 2/3 years is the Stowa Flieger which I picked up here last week.
    I also have a Victorinox Inox which is my current grab and go/beater and currently on the wrist as was cleaning out the garage this morning.

I retired 2 weeks ago and no longer being suited and booted most days feel a consolidation is probably the right way to go but think that is for another thread.
    Last edited by TBKBABAB; 13th May 2018 at 11:19.

Blog Entries
    Lovely collection, is the a JLC top left??

Pitch

Master
    Some lovlies there - would like to see closer shots!

I especially love the white Speedy, and the moonphase above it.

What is the one under the longines in the first photo?

Tidy! 👍🏼

Although the Squale is upside down, or down side up which ever way you are looking

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Lovely collection, is the a JLC top left??

Pitch
    Yep, Master Chrono which I bought here in 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Clem View Post
    Tidy! 

Although the Squale is upside down, or down side up which ever way you are looking
    WOOOPS

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Some lovlies there - would like to see closer shots!

I especially love the white Speedy, and the moonphase above it.

What is the one under the longines in the first photo?
    Really struggled get decent shots, maybe ill add some single shots of one or two

The one under the Longines is the possible franken Rolex, it runs but crown never looked right and now doesnt screw in,
    think it cost me £10.

Nice collection indeed sir!!!....My favorite is the Piaget...bravo!!

Master
    I’m immediately drawn to the Reverso and Coke when looking at those pics. Nice collection.

Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    Having spent 3 weeks trying to get my wife her grail by moving on a number of her watches thought I should do a SOTC before deciding
    if I will do something similar.

The majority I have obtained in the last 8 years.

The one I have had longest is the Bimetal Seiko which was a gift the first time I visited Tokyo in the mid 80's after that it is the Piaget which my wife bought me in I believe 87.

Apart from a couple of cheap beaters there was then a big gap until I bought the Old Rolex (I am not 100 percent sure its not a franken) for peanuts in Camden market in the mid 90's. I had actually forgotten
    I had this till I found it in the back of a draw last year.

It was really the GMT which started me off I bought this about 14 years ago and then went through a phase of buying and flipping Seiko and Micro brand Dive watches the only surviving ones are the Magritte and the Seiko kinetic which I bought used as a beater.

The others have mainly been bought in the last 8 years and haven't sold anything except a couple of the Micro brand watches and a Speedy reduced (which I replaced with the full size) during this time and the only one I have bought in the last 2/3 years is the Stowa Flieger which I picked up here last week.
    I also have a Victorinox Inox which is my current grab and go/beater and currently on the wrist as was cleaning out the garage this morning.

I retired 2 weeks ago and no longer being suited and booted most days feel a consolidation is probably the right way to go but think that is for another thread.
    Rolex
    Speedy
    Monaco

Consolidation done

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Yep, Master Chrono which I bought here in 2014
    Absolutely stunning. I sold my Hometime a couple of years ago and do miss it....lots.....

Enjoy

Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by wits View Post
    Rolex
    Speedy
    Monaco

Consolidation done

But which speedy?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wits View Post
    Rolex
    Speedy
    Monaco

Consolidation done

Nope...
    - Rolex
    - white dial speedy
    - jlc master compressor
    - seamaster

Some slightly better pictures of some although still not great, must be the light today

And the other Rolex maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Nope...
    - Rolex
    - white dial speedy
    - jlc master compressor
    - seamaster
    My thoughts on consolidation are probably more like 8-10 out and 3 new in.....just not 100pct sure which ones out and which new ones in

Master
    Nice to see a diverse collection. Sinn is my favourite.

My thoughts on consolidation are probably more like 8-10 out and 3 new in.....just not 100pct sure which ones out and which new ones in
    What are your grails..? You already have some pretty desirable and classic watches there.

The master control chronograph is probably my favourite, although with the amount of exposure GMT's are getting at the movement, I have an increasing desire to pick up one of the old Alu bezel models.

Quote Originally Posted by carryondentist View Post
    What are your grails..? You already have some pretty desirable and classic watches there.

The master control chronograph is probably my favourite, although with the amount of exposure GMT's are getting at the movement, I have an increasing desire to pick up one of the old Alu bezel models.
    I wouldn’t say that I have grails as such, although a Nautilus would be nice but that isn’t going to happen, the idea would be to reduce the number so that what remains is likely to get reasonable wrist time as there are quite a few that don’t at the moment.
    As have just retired as well think is a good time to start thinking about it as no longer have
    to think about what is suitable for the office.

Master

SOTC - for now

Great variety! And for me Piaget Rolex panda speedie, seamaster and reverso would be keepers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ac11111; 14th April 2018 at 09:30.

Craftsman
    The collection of my dreams. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Great variety! And for me Piaget Rolex panda speedie, seamaster and reverso would be keepers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I will have a bit more of a think today and then maybe post my thoughts on what I am thinking will go and what will come in.

Always like similar posts on here as there are always a few suggestions which people come up with that you have never thought of.

I forgot another one, holiday watch, its too big to fit in either box.

Move the contents of the smaller box into the bigger one - add the Monaco and either the Sinn or your inox as a beater and you have an amazing collection - and consolidated sensibly. Job done!

Tell me more about the Piaget?

Craftsman
    Great collection of watches.

Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    Tell me more about the Piaget?
    Its Ref 15958. 18k case with white enamel dial, date, day, month sub dials plus moon phase.
    33 mm.

Its Ref 15958. 18k case with white enamel dial, date, day, month sub dials plus moon phase.
    33 mm.
    Thanks, looks lovely - I'm a big fan of that dial design. Nobody seems to make them like that any more.

Having thought about this over the weekend and checking the likely cost am going ahead with a major change around, bit of a waffle but thoughts as follows.

Going from about 20 down to about 10.

This needs to be a no cost change in fact looking to actually have some funds available afterwards which have promised my wife for her new purchase.

The GMT, Stowa Flieger and one of the Speedies are definitely staying plus the INOX and Holiday watch which weren't in the first post, everything else is potentially and likely to be moving on.

Think can ignore the 2 seikos and the Franken Rolex as arent going to add much value for this

Inbound will definitely be a PAM00722 - Have wanted a Panerai Marina for some time but all the 44mm ones just wear too large for me but the 42mm with the slightly thinner case
    seems to work.

Current thinking on other replacements:

1. sporty option

IWC Ingenieur 3239, really like the Blue dial Laureus limited addition but that would seem to cost about £7-800 premium over a black face one.
    Thought about an AP RO but when I tried one it didnt really do to it for me especially as this would take a big chunk of my Budget compared with the IWC.
    Only Other option so far is a Vacheron and Constantin Overseas 47040 black face but that would probably cost me close to double the IWC and probably
    would mean would have to keep current Reverso and the 2254.50 (See below)

looked at Chrono models of above but they all go too big as ideal is 40-42mm with a max thickness of 10-11mm, this size probably goes for most of
    the categories.

2. Dressy option

I love my JLC Reverso but always think it looks a little small for my wrist size when I wear it, partially think this is just that I'm used to wearing bigger
    watches so might be an option to just keep it.
    If it goes would probably replace it with another Reverso the only slightly bigger option seems to be the current 'Large Small second' but reluctant to probably pay
    twice what mine is worth and lose the Duo Face.
    The other option is to go for a Grande Reverso Ultra thin which is bigger but thinner, either Tribute to 1931 with Black dial or the Duo Face version Q3788750
    probably wouldnt cost much more buying a used one of these compared to a new 'large small second'

I would be interested in views of anyone who has a grand Ultra Thin on how big they wear.

3. Dive watch

Was Originally thinking would keep the Omega 2254.50 or possibly replace with the new Certina shown at Basel, but a recent thread with a Watcho 300m has got me thinking
    that maybe this would be a nice option instead.

4. Which Speedy

I like them both, on one hand the classic black dial is a 'Classic' but I really love the Panda, but its a redial.
    Still not sure on this one although probably leaning towards the Panda.

The only thing missing which I had thought would like is something with a big date but cant find anything that would fit into one of above
    categories and also stay within budget.

It helps to put this down in writing for me and please feel free to comment, suggest as am sure there are options I haven't thought of or am not aware of in all the categories.

First dibs on the Piaget please!

Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    First dibs on the Piaget please!
    You have a great taste sir!!

Was going to say something similar about the Piaget; it’s lovely. Interesting there is a lot of admiration of it, since it’s the sort of watch we see very rarely in the SC.

The high end box is a stunning collection. Congratulations, you have great taste. I love both the JLC s and would keep the reverso just because it is a classic rectangular design with the added wow factor of being a GMT. Maybe a larger version would be in order, but the classics tended to be a little smaller so i would suggest sticking with what you have.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonConnell View Post
    Was going to say something similar about the Piaget; it’s lovely. Interesting there is a lot of admiration of it, since it’s the sort of watch we see very rarely in the SC.
    You might be seeing one soon.

Great collection.

Would you mind telling me what the strap is on the Squale?

some nice pieces

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    Great collection.

Would you mind telling me what the strap is on the Squale?
    It’s one of Eddie’s 2 piece nylon on a deployant.

It’s one of Eddie’s 2 piece nylon on a deployant.
    Thank you. Goes well with finish on the Squale.

Master

1. sporty option

IWC Ingenieur 3239, really like the Blue dial Laureus limited addition but that would seem to cost about £7-800 premium over a black face one.
    Thought about an AP RO but when I tried one it didnt really do to it for me especially as this would take a big chunk of my Budget compared with the IWC.
    Only Other option so far is a Vacheron and Constantin Overseas 47040 black face but that would probably cost me close to double the IWC and probably

looked at Chrono models of above but they all go too big as ideal is 40-42mm with a max thickness of 10-11mm, this size probably goes for most of
    the categories.

I wonder if you'd consider a Oyster Quartz to fill this slot?
    It a bit smaller than your ideal but they tend to wear larger, has a form that's in keeping with the IWC, AP & VC you note above, an interesting movement and under the radar. If you can find an unmolested / over polished one I'd suggest you take a look, if you didn't like it I can't see you taking a hit by moving it on.

Good luck with the restructuring.

I have been considering this myself, as I’m sure many of you have noticed, for sometime and if I can stop buying and actually manage to sell some I’ll do it
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I wonder if you'd consider a Oyster Quartz to fill this slot?
    It a bit smaller than your ideal but they tend to wear larger, has a form that's in keeping with the IWC, AP & VC you note above, an interesting movement and under the radar. If you can find an unmolested / over polished one I'd suggest you take a look, if you didn't like it I can't see you taking a hit by moving it on.
    Thanks, Must admit that wasnt on my radar but do think its a bit small and a decent one seems to be not far off the price of the IWC so I'd probably stick with that as prefer an auto to a quartz.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Good luck with the restructuring.

I have been considering this myself, as I’m sure many of you have noticed, for sometime and if I can stop buying and actually manage to sell some I’ll do it
    Its not easy, took the BB out of the box yesterday thinking might put it on SC and then after looking at it thought hmm its really nice maybe I could get away with keeping
    that as well.....

Its not easy, took the BB out of the box yesterday thinking might put it on SC and then after looking at it thought hmm its really nice maybe I could get away with keeping
    that as well.....
    Personally, I wouldn’t sell it - not unless you have a very clear idea of what you would spend the proceeds on, and that was much better.

That’s the exact problem I have. In order to give some watches up I need to see the benefit.

Also, it was the start of the new Tudor BB range!

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Personally, I wouldn’t sell it - not unless you have a very clear idea of what you would spend the proceeds on, and that was much better.

That’s the exact problem I have. In order to give some watches up I need to see the benefit.

Also, it was the start of the new Tudor BB range!
    Decided first step is going to be keep hold of these 4 as well BB/Seamaster/Reverso and Squale, move on the others and inbound will be the Panerai and IWC.

After this will decide if change the Reverso and dive watches or not.

Sounds like a good plan 👍

Craftsman

Current thinking on other replacements:

1. sporty option

My vote would be to go with the Vacheron. I've got the 47040 Deep Stream, the dial is grey sunburst and is defiantly worth the additional cost. Currently it is getting the most amount of wrist time out of my collection.

If you are going for the oversea's the Gen 2 models can be found at reasonable prices because they don't have AP labelled on the front.
    The new Gen 3 however is another story

Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    My vote would be to go with the Vacheron. I've got the 47040 Deep Stream, the dial is grey sunburst and is defiantly worth the additional cost. Currently it is getting the most amount of wrist time out of my collection.

If you are going for the oversea's the Gen 2 models can be found at reasonable prices because they don't have AP labelled on the front.
    The new Gen 3 however is another story
    The AP is definitely out just doesn’t really ring my bell.
    Really like the Vacheron but it would probably mean losing the reverso and the BB
    as well and after having another look at the collection I am not sure am ready to do that.

I have a good offer on a 3239 Ingenieur including a p/x on one of my watches and think may go for that.
    If I don’t get on with it may consider a Vacheron later if I decide can live without the reverso and B.B.

Just an update of part 1 of the change.

Following have gone: LLD, black dial Speedy, U1, JLC Master chrono, Tag Monaco,
    still definitely going Piaget, Oris, Magrette and likely the Squale

New additions the IWC and Panerai and very happy with both.

For the timebeing the Seamaster will stay and the Reverso is off for a service and will decide when it comes back whether to keep it, if I dont
    then now doubt will replace it with a different Reverso. 5 weeks into retirement and feel my use of something dressy isnt going to be that great.
    If the Squale goes then I think may need something blue especially as went for black dial IWC rather than the Blue one.

Still have the Inox/Seiko beaters and the holiday watch which are staying.

Quick snap of how it will look when the others mentioned above have also gone.

Last edited by TBKBABAB; 13th May 2018 at 11:22.

Master
    I am aiming to complete a change around on watches and a few other assets as well. I have got 3 changes done, another 4-5 to go and so far so good.
    Great to see the changes are working out for you as well !

Master
    Some beautiful pieces there hope that all is okay.

How do you find the U1? Does it get much wrist time - that's a hell of a collection to compete with!

Quote Originally Posted by Horologos View Post
    Some beautiful pieces there hope that all is okay.
    Enjoying my retirement but have spent quite a bit of the time sofar buying and mainly selling or trying
    to sell watches as also been doing something similar with my Wife’s watches.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyboy View Post
    How do you find the U1? Does it get much wrist time - that's a hell of a collection to compete with!
    It’s one of the ones that’s now gone, it used to get quite a bit of wrist time at the weekends.
    It has the blackest dial I’ve ever seen on a watch, but it was a little big.
    Have decided that 42mm is really the max for me now.