closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Incoming 1940’s curiosity - seeking information

Incoming 1940’s curiosity - seeking information

This arrived yesterday, part of my growing collection of Helvetia oddballs. I can share a little research I have done on some of the clues it holds but I’d appreciate any further info or opinions.

The dial is obviously oriented at 90 degrees, although as Rusty points out, its odd to have the crown at 6. My first thought was a driving watch, subsequently I’ve wondered about motorcycling, as the crown would be protected this way round.

The lume on the numerals and hands is quite crude, but also pretty old as it only holds a charge for a few seconds.

The movement is a Helvetia 82A. This variant dates throughout the ‘40s although other variants continued into the ‘50s.

This picture is from the seller’s listing. You can see crude writing on the movement. Finlay Straus was a chain of jewellers in New York in the 30s and 40s. The other writing just repeats the Unadjusted text already on the movement. Odd to see such crude engraving. I’ve seen other movements like this and apparently some watches recovered in Germany after the war were marked in this way.

I’m sure I have seen that PF mark on the caseback before but I can’t remember where.

The case obviously has fixed bars and a ‘waterproof’ screw on back. Helvetia used fixed bars for various watches at that time, some just for everyday use, but this looks quite a rugged construction to me.

The caseback itself doesn’t tell me much.

It didn’t cost much but I love a mystery. Any ideas what this is?

Master
    Standard Helvetia 82 has subdial on 6.

This is just repainted dial. It turned out nice though. Although I am not sure of the purpose of it. It could be custom made.
    Last edited by sinner77; 16th April 2018 at 06:54.

Quote Originally Posted by sinner77 View Post
    Standard Helvetia 82 has subdial on 6.

This is just repainted dial. It turned out nice though. Although I am not sure of the purpose of it. It could be custom made.
    Indeed, 6 would be usual. I have a few Helvetias, just none made to look like this. I’m just intrigued why someone remade the dial like this, and used this watch as the base. I think it must have been done a long time ago because the lume is old.

I haven’t seen solid hands in this shape on any other Helvetia. I looked more closely and I noticed the hands match the slightly ‘tapering out’ shape used on the common DH watches, but look like they have been filled with black paint and a blob of lume at the end. That would fit with the case style but not the marking on the back to my knowledge.

Of course no-one in their right mind these days would take a half decent DH watch and then mess around with it like this. The crown is the only part that looks pretty new to me.
    Last edited by alfat33; 16th April 2018 at 08:13.

Mikrolisk has several PF's.

http://www.mikrolisk.de/show.php?sit...rk#sucheMarker

Here is my old timer with hand engraved maker's name. It has a soft grey coating to the case, not paint more like metal. Also has an internal screw in case back, not the usual external.
    Also has fixed lugs.

Last edited by bobbee; 16th April 2018 at 10:20.

Thanks bobbee. That has a very similar feel. The case on yours is interesting, not seen one like that.

Thanks also for the mikrolisk references. It’s the arched shape border with the PF in that is bugging me.

Here is another pic of the PF stamp.

And here is a similar stamp inside the caseback of another 82A watch with the same style case:
    Last edited by alfat33; 16th April 2018 at 20:41.

Seen plenty of those arch markings with letters inside, always on the inside of case backs.

Edit- some here, seen others.

http://www.mikrolisk.de/show.php?sit...rk#sucheMarker

"Gehause" means watch case, so most of these are case maker names inside the arched shape.
    Last edited by bobbee; 16th April 2018 at 20:40.

Thanks bobbee, I think our posts crossed but that makes sense and thanks for the link. Definitely helps me with one piece of the puzzle.

I figured out how to wear it, which is on the inside of your wrist (either hand).

Master
    That would probably be custom made "Drivers" watch.

Perhaps for tank crew? Or motorcycle Drivers?

Very interesting watch indeed.

Yes, here are a few of examples of factory made drivers watches:

Chronostop as Rusty pointed out - more for timing than driving, but definitely designed to be worn inside the wrist.

A despatch riders watch; obviously a converted pocket watch, but the crown is at 6.