closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Phillips Daytona Auction

Master

Phillips Daytona Auction

Phillips are auctioning 32 highly collectable Daytona's.
    https://www.phillips.com/detail/ROLEX/CH080318/3
    Note the Porcelain Daytona, was this the same model Ken flipped?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    His was a bi-metal from memory.

Wow, will watch this one with interest

I was just about to start a thread on this!

Certainly has the wow factor... there are actually a couple on there that I could afford (if I sold my car, watch collection, wife’s jewellery, handbags and shoes) but may need to take a loan out for the auctioneers premium!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master

Wow!!

I would love any of those unfortunately it’s not going to happen as if I had what they will end up costing I would probably spend the money on classic cars 🤗🤗

Stunning pieces that usually end up in a safe somewhere until the next auction 😢

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    Your Daytona wouldn't look out of place in that line up. The two porcelains are stunning. That SS version 16520 is extremely rare, supposedly less than 200 ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    His was a bi-metal from memory.
    Correct. I am pleased mine hasn't found its way into that auction.

Master
    I don't always understand vintage Rolex. Paying for particular fonts or numbers confuses me. Other than the rarity (and I'd imagine some other importance I'm unaware of) it doesn't really seem to offer anything aesthetically more appealing. However that porcelain dial is gorgeous, whilst value is a matter of opinion I can at least see difference in paying that kind of money.

Master

Me to!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    I don't always understand vintage Rolex. Paying for particular fonts or numbers confuses me. Other than the rarity (and I'd imagine some other importance I'm unaware of) it doesn't really seem to offer anything aesthetically more appealing. However that porcelain dial is gorgeous, whilst value is a matter of opinion I can at least see difference in paying that kind of money.
    I’m glad you said that as it’s always gone straight over my head? With the Red sub which is my stand out favourite I can see that the red writing gives it a completely different look but when someone tells me there is a dot somewhere different on one compared to another it does seem a little OTT?? I get the rarity but that’s just a one up thing isn’t it surely as you are saying only you and a handful of others have one with that font or dial etc which is another one upmanship surely?? Maybe it’s just very personal and I just don’t get it and there’s a deeper meaning that will make me understand or maybe a lot have become investments which means even the tiniest thing sets your investment ahead of another investment??

I love the vintage Rolex and love red writing on a Rolex dial(Daytona included) but most look the same to an untrained eye so I will get the best I can find and stick with that please from now on?!?!
    Once they become investments it takes the enjoyment out of it for me?

Anyway I will try to check back to see what these Daytona’s go for and in the meantime dream of my Red sub
    ;-)

Chris

"The steel Daytona ref. 16520 with a “porcelain” dial sold for SFr187,500"

Master

Quote Originally Posted by subchris View Post
    I’m glad you said that as it’s always gone straight over my head? With the Red sub which is my stand out favourite I can see that the red writing gives it a completely different look but when someone tells me there is a dot somewhere different on one compared to another it does seem a little OTT?? I get the rarity but that’s just a one up thing isn’t it surely as you are saying only you and a handful of others have one with that font or dial etc which is another one upmanship surely?? Maybe it’s just very personal and I just don’t get it and there’s a deeper meaning that will make me understand or maybe a lot have become investments which means even the tiniest thing sets your investment ahead of another investment??

I love the vintage Rolex and love red writing on a Rolex dial(Daytona included) but most look the same to an untrained eye so I will get the best I can find and stick with that please from now on?!?!
    Once they become investments it takes the enjoyment out of it for me?

Anyway I will try to check back to see what these Daytona’s go for and in the meantime dream of my Red sub
    ;-)

Chris

I guess it’s easy to dismiss this as madness and we find it hard to understand but if you’re filthy rich and you collect these things to such an extent you already have the red ones or the stand out ones you then get the “ahh but did you know in 1972 there were to Swiss logos on the bottom of the dial” and then the collector that has all the obvious ones starts buying all these different variations.

I can imagine showing my Mrs a red sub and a normal sub and saying this one is £5k and this one is £10k and her reaction may be similar to us pondering why someone would want one with a dot here or there or different fonts etc.

It’s all madness really but I’m sure all of us here are guilty of some madness in the Watch sense on some level or another.

One thing I don’t get is this 1 of 1 Daytona that most of the online world seems to be laughing at as a franken made up Watch yet someone paid 5 million for it?

It’s all rather grotesque and watching that bloke speaking about the upcoming auction the other day I just thought what is actually going on these days!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Correct. I am pleased mine hasn't found its way into that auction.
    Watches of Distinction appear to have one.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BimVTnOh...sofdistinction