closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vintage Vostok, removing the movement

Vintage Vostok, removing the movement

Hello everyone, I recently picked up a rather battered looking Vostok Komandirski from eBay and I have noticed that the hour hand is touching the dial between the 4 o clock and the 10 o clock positions (there is a visible scuff mark, see picture) my question to you is would it be a case of removing the movement and gently bending the hour hand up by a tiny amount or would it be a bit more involved than that? The other option of course is just to leave it alone as it has probably been like that for the last 20 years Any help is greatly appreciatedIMG_20180412_083054.jpg

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

I’ve taken apart an old Amphibia which I think has the same type of case. It was very easy to do, and to take the movement out to access the dial. Can be a bit fiddly refitting the ring that holds the caseback on but really not a big deal.

I can’t vouch for bending the hand straight. I’d want to do it as well but then again it won’t make the mark on the dial go away.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    I’ve taken apart an old Amphibia which I think has the same type of case. It was very easy to do, and to take the movement out to access the dial. Can be a bit fiddly refitting the ring that holds the caseback on but really not a big deal.

I can’t vouch for bending the hand straight. I’d want to do it as well but then again it won’t make the mark on the dial go away.
    I may give it a go, I bought it knowing it was beaten up (that's part of its charm) so Im not bothered about the mark on the dial. So when removing the movement is it just a case of removing the crown and removing the movement retaining screws then dropping the movement out? I need to open it up to regulate it anyway so may just do the whole lot at the same time unless anyone advises against bending the hand.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

I’m not sure I even remember any movement retaining screws to be honest. I can check some pictures I took later, if one of the forum Vostok experts hasn’t clarified it already.

They are great watches and I like the dial on yours. Perfect for messing about with and just enjoying.

Remove the case back and sintered seal. Remove the crown (it's the little button, not the nearest screw). Most older Komandirskies then have a metal retaining ring holding the movement and there is usually no need to remove the movement retaining screws - the movement will come straight out of the case with it attached.

If somehow you wreck the hour hand, spares are easily available on eBay or Meranom.com. Good luck!