closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Old Sekonda in need of TLC... Can anyone recommend or take on this type of work

Old Sekonda in need of TLC... Can anyone recommend or take on this type of work

Hi all

I am new to the forum so hopefully am posting in the right place...

Can anyone offer any help / advice to find someone who can get this old watch back up and running?

It was recently discovered in an old box of ‘stuff’... it belonged to my grandfather who passed away about 15 years ago.

It is a right state but I would love to get it running again, can anyone on this forum undertake or recommend someone?

I know it is probably far from cost effective but if the cost is not ridiculous it is something I would very much like to do.

Here’s hoping... thanks

Greg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Steve Burrage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bry1975 View Post
    Steve Burrage.
    Thank you

Welcome to the forum. If I was in your shoes I’d want to get it working again as well. Hopefully only a clean and service will be needed.

It’s a nice looking watch. I don’t know much about Russian watches but your one looks to me like it dates back to the era when Sekonda were still Russian. I like the way the caseback is secured with a rotating flange. Vostoks used/use the same system which has some advantages in seing the case.

I hope you get it fixed and post some ‘after’ pictures. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Welcome to the forum. If I was in your shoes I’d want to get it working again as well. Hopefully only a clean and service will be needed.

It’s a nice looking watch. I don’t know much about Russian watches but your one looks to me like it dates back to the era when Sekonda were still Russian. I like the way the caseback is secured with a rotating flange. Vostoks used/use the same system which has some advantages in seing the case.

I hope you get it fixed and post some ‘after’ pictures. Good luck.
    Thank you... I will definitely post some pictures if I am successful

Afternoon all,

I thought I would update this now that I have this watch back... up and running :)

After a couple of recommendations that I followed up,I ended up sending this watch to a chap called Dafydd Ellis, he was friendly, informative and really seemed to know his stuff with these old Russian watches.

After he received the watch he confirmed with me a breakdown of what was required... which was a lot! There were lots of rusted parts but Dafydd was pretty sure that he would have everything that he would need, great news for me.

However, as with everything there would be a cost attached, which would likely be... £40, surely that couldn’t be right? So I confirmed that I would like to proceed and that should it be necessary I would be prepared to be very flexible with the budget if needed and confirmed an upper limit... confident that £40 would not be sufficient to this old gal running properly again.

Fast forward 5 weeks and I returned home yesterday from a short break away for a couple of days and there was a Royal Mail delivery card waiting for me, I picked up my package and there she was, working for the first time in probably 20 years.

My grandfather wore this watch constantly for many years until it finally gave up, on a bund for many years (as below) later switching to a nylon strap, it is no wonder it was in such a state, he was a keen gardener, with a small holding with livestock, including goats, hens, ducks, rabbits and even pigs and this watch did it all with him.

Mr Ellis carried out a service, replaced many rusted parts and got this back in the land of the living all for the princely sum of... £35!

I will make sure Mr Ellis understands how much I appreciate his endeavours... but I wanted to share this with the rest of the forum, I have no affiliation with Mr Ellis and have not even met him but I am so impressed with the work and and approach that he took with this project... it may have been £35 to Mr Ellis but to me it was priceless.

Some pictures below to see how it looks now... cleaner, brighter and in working order but still with the all history and battle scars that this watch carries with it.

Thanks to those from the forum who were able to give recommendations... and a special thanks to Mr Ellis for being a true gentleman.

Excellent result! It's always good to see watches with personal connections being cared for like this, well done for keeping it going.
    F.T.F.A.