closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice please

Journeyman

Advice please

Hello,

I wonder if there is anyone that can offer me some advice? I have an IWC pilot and the crown wasn't screwing in more than half a turn. The watch is less than two years old and IWC are saying the crown is cross threaded but they are refusing a warranty repair stating it must have been a knock that caused the cross threading. They are also staying the movement wheel is damaged. They want to charge me £650 ish for the repairs and a full service.

Could a knock really have caused cross threading if the crown is wound in? This feels like they are trying stiff me for £600. Should (can) I challenge them?

Any thoughts or advice would be most welcome.

Thanks

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Unlikely it's been done whilst screwed in. However, also unlikely it leafy the factory like it so it could be argued that it's been cross-threaded whilst in use.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Unlikely it's been done whilst screwed in. However, also unlikely it leafy the factory like it so it could be argued that it's been cross-threaded whilst in use.
    I just don't understand how user error can lead to cross threading. You push the crown in and twist.

Master
    Blog Entries
    They aren't exactly industrial strength threads so it if it went in on the skew, it would cross thread easy enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Mezza View Post
    You push the crown in and twist.

I usually push the crown in and give a little turn anti-clockwise until it catches the thread, then screw down. It is easier than you think to cross thread a crown – I've managed to ruin two

Craftsman
    I can't see how they can asset that it has been damaged by being knocked, certainly not if the crown has been in.

I could see the possibility of cross threading while screwing the crown in or the tread damaged being damaged if knocked while the crown is out.

I feel your frustration fella.

something i'm paranoid about with screw down crowns, so easily done with such a fine thread, as per John, slight back turn to engage the thread, then slowly wind it in, and don't over tighten a finger nip is plenty. As for the warranty, the onus will be on you to prove a manufacturing defect contributing to the short life of the thread. Given the fact a warranty is a minor term of a contract in any case, you would be better claiming for a breach of one of the conditions implied under consumer Law. Good luck with that one...Much easier for IWC or whoever the case is with to successfully argue user negligence especially given a time lapse...etc etc etc. Off the top of my head.