closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Sporting Event You've Spectated

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    My first F1 Grand Prix at Silverstone in 1991.
    As has been stated above, the smell and noise of the cars totally lit up my senses. The ground felt like it shook as the noise of the cars ripping past reverberated in the air.
    Stunning.
    I was there for that race too - the whole 'Mansell-Mania' thing certainly added to the race & the atmosphere - & our Nige giving Senna a lift back was a nice touch....!

2002 World Cup, South Korea vs Italy in Seoul. South Korea won 2-1 and it was the most amazing outburst of emotion when Jun Ang Hwan got the golden goal winner. Afterwards all night the atmosphere was unbelievable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post
    Football related for me and I was fortunate to follow UTD for a long time all over the world so for me the obvious ones are the cl win 99 v Munich in Barcelona which was epic because we should of lost but Chelsea in Moscow in 08 was special as I was a lot older and much more sober so I remember more of it
    When Terry slipped my son and I hugged and cheered. Great memories

Master
    The 2013 league one play off finals is the event that comes to mind first, such a brilliant atmosphere and a great result for Yeovil, although it's been down hill since then.
    We got on the tube to head back to Waterloo and it was rimmed with Yeovil fans then we had a load in the carriage on the way back from London so the party continued.
    The day was made all the more special as my boy was in tow.

As for sporting events that will stick with me forever working on the 2015 European games in Baku rates highly as well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I was there for that - amazing atmosphere. I stayed at the Wynn where Rickies parents were staying and all the Americans wanted him to win.
    They must of stayed in the MGM for at least two nights as I was staying on the same floor as them and bumped into them a couple of times- bumped into them again at the Pacquiao fight, really nice down to earth people. Crazy night you couldn't even buy a ticket out there to watch it on a big screen, was lucky enough to bag some tickets only about 10 rows from ringside.... ( I still remember the price, ouch) one of the best sporting atmospheres I've ever experienced, although the booing of the American anthem was out of order and still cringe at the thought.

Craftsman
    For me it has to be the Nigel Benn v Gerald McClellan fight back in '95.

Master
    RAC Rally 1995, McRae's commitment and talent was unbelievable to witness. I thought he was going off at every corner I watched but he didn't and took the World championship at the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    When Terry slipped my son and I hugged and cheered. Great memories
    Not so great for us Chelsea fans that were there.......managed to leave the stadium quickly but got absolutely soaked & very lost trying to find the coaches.....not happy!!

Have to say though that there was a good vibe in Moscow between the Utd & Chelsea fans - think we were both grateful that Liverpool weren't there!
    Last edited by paul360m; 12th April 2018 at 15:57.

If anyone has had the privilege of watching senior inter county Hurling in Ireland...

Fantastic spectator sport.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    For me it has to be the Nigel Benn v Gerald McClellan fight back in '95.
    Been lucky enough to have been present at quite a few fights- That was def one I wish that I had seen first hand, one word I think describes that fight is 'brutal' not many current day boxers can generate the atmosphere like the Benns, Eubanks, Hattons and Calzaghes of this world......

F1 1988 Monza Grand Prix, the only Ferrari win (and second place too) of that year, shortly after the death of Enzo.

The whole place erupted. I have seen Ferrari win there since, but that day was something special.

Craftsman
    +1 for Le Mans, I think 1988 , the year Jaguar won, what a party afterwards..Cheers, John B4

Best Sporting Event You've Spectated

Two for me unrelated. First ‘yer man’ Joey Dunlop winning the senior TT I981 he was nearly unbeatable on the Island in those days. Second was little old Southend United dumping Man United (Rooney, Ronaldo et al) out of the league cup in 2006. Thanks to a Freddy Eastwood wonder goal. We are the only Football league team in the league to have a 100% record against them!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by wildheart; 13th April 2018 at 07:13.

Best Sporting Event You've Spectated

Delete
    Last edited by wildheart; 13th April 2018 at 08:25.

Delete

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    Last game at The Boleyn.

Beat Man Utd 3-2 and it's the only ever time I've cried at a football game.
    Went to this game without a ticket, just on the off chance of ‘spare tickets’.

None were found , so had to head back to Pub in Stratford

Master
    Blog Entries
    I recall as a kid going to Easter Road in the 70s to see the might Leeds Utd play Hibs in the Uefa Cup - 1973 it was.

The full Leeds team were on parade including Harvey, Bremner, Lorimer, McQueen, and that was the Scots in the Leeds Team! 0-0 was the score but I can remember being able to lift my feet of the ground and get carried away by the surging crowd.

Then in '77 I was down to get a Trial with the even mightier Leeds but because of a snapped ankle it was decided my footballing career was over - at the age of 15!!

Great fun days, with not a care in the world.

Jim

Craftsman
    Liverpool vs St Etienne '77, what a game, what a comeback, what an atmosphere that night at Anfield - never to be forgotten and Davie Fairclough - LEGEND

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yip. I remember that night on tv.

St etienne. What ever happened to them???

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    Liverpool vs St Etienne '77, what a game, what a comeback, what an atmosphere that night at Anfield - never to be forgotten and Davie Fairclough - LEGEND

Australia vs Lions 1st Test. Couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke.

Happy days!

I've been to Ibrox on heady nights of European glory, I've seen Liverpool demolish Manchester City 6-0, I've seen Northern Ireland hand Spain their arses on a plate, but the greatest match I've been to was a lowly Irish League quarter final replay.

March 2002, I was supposed to be going to see my then girlfriend but a call from a mate gave me one of the greatest nights of my life and sounded the death bell for me and that girl!

Portadown went 1-0 up, Glentoran equalised.

Portadown went 2-1 up, Glentoran equalised from the spot and Portadown were down to ten men.

Glentoran then took the lead for the first time, it was now 3-2 to Glentoran and with Portadown a man down the writing was on the wall. Half an hour to go and there was no way back.

But, Portadown equalised just a few minutes later and the winner went in just a few minutes before the final whistle. A 4-3 victory ground out from blood and guts, the match was true drama played out for pride and a desire to win, not the obscene amounts of money blighting the sport at the top levels.

The VHS tape is hopefully somewhere in my mum's house, must see if I can get my mitts on it.

Been lucky enough to do a few epic Wimbledon Finals in my time, along with a few Rugby Prem/european finals and the Cheltenham Gold cup when Denman galloped them into the ground was pretty special, but the 2010 Ryder Cup at Celtic Manor probably takes the cake.

Le Mans 24 Hours 1979.

1988 came very close though.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Le mans is brilliant, nearly every time. I'm one of the idiots with hats visible near the airborne audi!

Wembley for England Brazil in the Umbro cup was pretty good, and the last ever cup winners cup at Villa Park.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Another one who was at the Hatton Mayweather fight, hardly heard an American accent for 2 days leading up to it. Always said that was the best event I’d been to, but the SuperBowl this year ran it close.

Won’t count the obvious city ones. Biggest buzz has to be Serg’s goal

Malc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the time (and still in many ways) the Tour de France 2004 Individual Time Trial up Alpe d'Huez. The stage and race were both won by Lance Armstrong who averaged 14.5mph up that climb. The atmosphere was absolutely crazy and a little dangerous at times. Now clearly he has been discredited as a drugs cheat along with just about every other cyclist of his generation. I've never cycled Alpe d'Huez but have climbed Mt. Ventoux when I was younger and far fitter; my average speed was considerably less!
    Last edited by Skier; 22nd April 2018 at 12:50.

Cholita Wrestling
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

The Melrose 7s.......

A great day’s entertainment - no matter if there are professional teams in it, or not.

6 hrs of flowing rugby, a great specacle - steeped in tradition.

Mark it on your calendar !