closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 2018 SOTC - Updated Post #30

Master

2018 SOTC - Updated Post #30

Most WIS know this is how it goes, and I was doing so well.

I went from this just 4 years ago (!!!!)...

... to this 2 years later/ago - cancelled the safe deposit box, content with 'simple' choices:

What great progress and a journey.

Alas, things have crept back up, the safe deposit box is full! (albeit it's a far smaller box than a few years back).

So where are 'we' at? Basically a two watch (brand) collection.

The Rolex: From left to right 216570 polar, 114060, 116610LN, 116610LV, 116600, 16622, 116400GV-Z and 116300 (Azure)

Yes, I've had a 116610LN and a 114060 before, not to mention three Milgauss and a DJII - although the current Milgauss and DJII are different colour schemes. I had the old SD, so the 'new' (now old) 4K was a new one, and the YM and LV are the originals - the only two survivors from 2014. Yes, I did have a Polar ExpII but the old one - I do recall slagging off the 216570 for being bloated when it came out ;)

The Panerai: From left to right PAM368, PAM389 and PAM233

And here they all are together, before most going back to the safe deposit (it can be fun rotating after a time - it feels like getting a new watch if I've not had it around for a few months):

The conclusion to this is that WISiness is a disease that doesn't going away - like a non-smoker versus an ex-smoker, and I just can't help myself when it comes to Rolex. I put that down to growing up looking at the ads in National Geographic, and of course their all-round usability, and 'safe' place for funds/hobby spend.

As for Panerai, I flirted with them for years but it's only a year or so back that it really took off. First with the 233, then the 389. A 425 and 346 came and went - partly to fund other ins, including some of the Rolex, but also Breitling and Omega - all now gone. I'm really taken with the Panerai, esp the 233 and 389, which are a super complement to each other. As for the strap changing malarkey, well let's say no more about that ;)

I really need to step away from any more purchases, although I am flirting with a black ExpII - doh.

I am very content with what I have and also know I'm privileged to be able to have these. Although I do expect that in years to come I will downsize again - retirement funding etc. At the point the sure-fire keepers in order are Hulk, PAM233 and PAM389. The other Rolex would be sacrificed on a needs basis, and one at a time, based on which ever one is the least favoured at the time.

The PAM368 is a fascinating one - it's full on full size PAM, and the 'destro' orientation is quirky, and it's the watch that cost me the most so one that would fund other incoming quite well, and I do keep thinking about moving it on - but it has so much going for it, a lot that many current PAMs just don’t have in the mix that this has e.g. full size, yet still fast change strap, 8 day with power reserve, titanium, tobacco dial/gold hands and more.....

Let this be a lesson for anyone who has reduced their collection and thinks they've cracked their WISdom. Be careful :)
    Last edited by ASW1; 22nd April 2018 at 22:34.

Wow! Quite some fluctuation in quantity, but certainly not in quality.

May I ask what those three three-register chronographs are in the top left hand corner of the first image are? I'm guessing some Tudor Big Block variants, but not sure which?

Edit: Looks like I need a 79170 in my life!
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 10th April 2018 at 01:23.

Master
    Wow what a lovely collection. Not a fan of the Radiomir on the Pam front?

Love the straps too. Where is the burgundy alligator strap from. That looks lovely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow what a collection!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Impressive collection. I certainly empathise with the journey you’ve been on, albeit I never got down to 3.

Do you regret selling the Kermit in particular? Personally I much prefer it to the Hulk.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Journeyman
    Very impressive collection both previously and now, I didn't realise how much I enjoy the 16622, even next to the SD and LV!

Master
    I remember your big sell off - I bet you’re cringing at some of the prices you must have let things go for!

Some great watches there, but really you only need the Polar Explorer and a Speedy and you could sell the rest!

It's also cleansing for the soul to go through these peaks and troughs as you really figure out what you like - and learning to sell is a brutal curve (something I'm terrible with )

But it's still a lovely collection - personally find the Panerai selection delightful, a good mix!

Two brands that I love too, Alun. Personally I think you had too many originally to really develope any kind of relationship with them. This is a much better number.

Craftsman
    That is some collection-churning right there! The pic from 4 years ago had some beauties!

Journeyman
    I could look at this all day, but I would agree can you fully appreciate them all when you have so many lovely examples, but what is the ideal number?

Thanks for sharing

Excellent collection. Interesting to note how the numbers changed over a 4 year period. Looks like the “2 years ago” is best regarded as a sabbatical, before normal service has been resumed, albeit with a more usable number than 4 years ago.

How many do you keep out available to wear at any one time?

You seem to have fallen out of love with chronographs?

Master
    This is why I dislike the term "flipper". The journey is as much a part of collecting as the final result.I really like where you started and where you've currently ended up. Something for every occasion.

Master
    Very very nice collection, would like to know where you got some of your straps from? particularly like the green croc!

The 389 is my next aim for, I seem to have a thing for 47mm Panerais at the minute. The 368 is a beauty, never really on my radar before but must go and do a bit of research.

Lovely collections. Personally, I thought the Rolex trio was the perfect collection.

So which ones do you regret selling? ;)

Master
    Unbelievable collection(s). Wow!

Master
    Was that a couple of 69 El Primeros in the first pic?

Craftsman
    Which one of these brough you the most joy? Which was the hardest to purchase?

Alun! You were my hope and my inspiration - what happened?!

To be fair you did help me sell up a lot and pay off the mortgage, so not all bad. I do like the current collection, and might pick up another Panerai in the next few months.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Thanks for the nice comments all. I probably need to make a larger resolution picture of the OLD collection available, that might clear up some of the questions IT'S HERE

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Wow! Quite some fluctuation in quantity, but certainly not in quality.
    May I ask what those three three-register chronographs are in the top left hand corner of the first image are? I'm guessing some Tudor Big Block variants, but not sure which?
    Edit: Looks like I need a 79170 in my life!
    That'll be three Tudors. The white/silver panda is a big block - some decent pics on the sale thread
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ighlight=Tudor

The other two are here

The big block was rather nice, and one I would perhaps have liked to keep hold of.

Quote Originally Posted by David r View Post
    Wow what a lovely collection. Not a fan of the Radiomir on the Pam front?
    Love the straps too. Where is the burgundy alligator strap from. That looks lovely
    Cheers - just found that the Rads looked a little peculiar. Doesn't mean I won't get another one.
    The straps are mostly Orloff - see http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ghlight=orloff and http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ghlight=orloff

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Impressive collection. I certainly empathise with the journey you’ve been on, albeit I never got down to 3.
    Do you regret selling the Kermit in particular? Personally I much prefer it to the Hulk.
    Cheers Andy, I've not had a Kermit - probably the poor initial picture - that's a Hulk in there. Must admit that I prefer the newer Rolex, so no regrets re lack of Kermit, although I have been tempted.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    I remember your big sell off - I bet you’re cringing at some of the prices you must have let things go for!
    Some great watches there, but really you only need the Polar Explorer and a Speedy and you could sell the rest!
    Hi Adrian, I try not to look to much at the price I sold for versus re-purchased, the funds were used for other urposes in the meantime, plus I now have newer watches ;) (that's how I make peace with it anyway).
    I did pick up a Speedy not that long ago, but after 8 day manual winding for PAMs, I can't be done with the daily routine of a Speedy anymore - it's not like I haven't tried anough of them ;)

Quote Originally Posted by fierbois16 View Post
    I could look at this all day, but I would agree can you fully appreciate them all when you have so many lovely examples, but what is the ideal number?
    Thanks for sharing
    That's like the meaning of life, which is I believe is the same number of watches I peaked at - however, I would suggest that 7 - 10 is a good guide (today anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    Excellent collection. Interesting to note how the numbers changed over a 4 year period. Looks like the “2 years ago” is best regarded as a sabbatical, before normal service has been resumed, albeit with a more usable number than 4 years ago.
    How many do you keep out available to wear at any one time?
    LOL - sabbatical. Tend to have 3 or 4 available. When I had the big collection I was living abroad and would only ever take 4 with me. Whenever I came back to the UK a visit to have a change over was top of the list of things to do - it was like having the watches as new incoming on each occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post
    You seem to have fallen out of love with chronographs?
    Found that I never use the feature, and it just adds complexity - not that I don't regularly oggle the odd chrono.

Quote Originally Posted by Nev View Post
    Very very nice collection, would like to know where you got some of your straps from? particularly like the green croc!
    The 389 is my next aim for, I seem to have a thing for 47mm Panerais at the minute. The 368 is a beauty, never really on my radar before but must go and do a bit of research.
    Hi Nev, See above re straps - the green is from Mario at Orloff - you may note that I have two of them, so when one gets tired I have another ready to go.
    The 389 was a revelation for me - a super watch. Last year I won't on a business trip to Nice. This was relatively informal so I went with the 389. At the airport for boarding it was as if every other person had a Rolex (a group of 4 people in front of me had three Subs and a DJ - 100% Rolex) - I was so glad to be different.... Apparently there was an insurance convention up the coast, so that might explain all the Rolexes.

Quote Originally Posted by futon river crossing View Post
    So which ones do you regret selling? ;)
    No regrets really. There are some that I would like to still have e.g. Zenith Pilot, Zenith rose gold 1969 NV and the Tri-colour one too. I talked quite a bit about the journey here http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...=1#post3106497

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Was that a couple of 69 El Primeros in the first pic?
    Hee hee - it's three of them. Check these posts out :)
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...highlight=gold
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ghlight=zenith
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ghlight=zenith

Quote Originally Posted by ollipekka View Post
    Which one of these brough you the most joy? Which was the hardest to purchase?
    That's like choosing a favourite child :) I guess that the Hulk and PAM233 are front runners. Not terribly exciting but class/classics with a twist.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Alun! You were my hope and my inspiration - what happened?!
    To be fair you did help me sell up a lot and pay off the mortgage, so not all bad. I do like the current collection, and might pick up another Panerai in the next few months.
    Cheers Scott, you're not the first person to say that I've been their inspiration - to then be a disspointment ;) I did pay off a mortage, but that's no longer the case, whoops, but there are other life events to fund.
    Last edited by ASW1; 11th April 2018 at 01:13.

Craftsman
    That is a great collection!!

Master
    Lovely collection now Alun and very much reflects my taste. I love the left handed PAM, and I really must add one now that I have my 1940 case model.
    Interesting thay you have kept the YM all this time. I previously had a TT model with white dial and is probably my biggest regret in selling of all he watches that I have ever sold. More so for the connotation, but then again one cannot turn back the clock.
    As you know i have become more PAM focused over the past year, and greatly admire your PAM section. Great straps. What piece do you plan to add next?

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Wow what a collection!

Master
    Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Lovely collection now Alun and very much reflects my taste. I love the left handed PAM, and I really must add one now that I have my 1940 case model.
    Interesting thay you have kept the YM all this time. I previously had a TT model with white dial and is probably my biggest regret in selling of all he watches that I have ever sold. More so for the connotation, but then again one cannot turn back the clock.
    As you know i have become more PAM focused over the past year, and greatly admire your PAM section. Great straps. What piece do you plan to add next?
    Cheers Rob.

I've had the YM c.11years now - it was a reward to myself after a compromise agreement with a previous employer, after a role I put my whole being, sweat and tears into. Still looks almost new - I'm amazed at how many you see pre-owned that have scummy bezels, having said that I do baby it more than others. I've seen a Rolex serviced/refinished bezel and it was like new - whereas I've never seen one freshly serviced by an independent (even Rolex certified) where they have got the bezel right. It is a bit of a keeper as it's showy but very under the rader, and the platinum bezel/dial add weight to it on the wrist - I love the more rounded case profile compared to the more traditional 'sports' Rolexes. I procured a TT for a mate a few years back (engagement present from his, to be, Mrs) - do quite like it, but a lot more bling than the Plat.

Re what might be next - as mentioned above another EXpII might be with me later today (visting dealer later this morning), and I have had my head turned by another PAM - waiting to hear back from a dealer on that.......... free falling down the slope :)

Master
    Looking forward to seeing what comes next.

Master
    I'm very relieved to say I dodn't buy the ExpII, so that's one less than it might have been. Just need to let the dust settle on the other possible 'move' and hopefully I'll end the month with the same number I started with and no more ;)

Lol

Relieved to come home without another Rolex ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Cough cough..... PAM687

Interesting 3 part case - rumour has it that they ran out of bezels and used a case back

Here is it's inspiration - the Panerai 3646 Brevettato:

The front, on a back:

And here is some conspiracy narrative on the authenticness of the 'original' - not that it really matters and the watch is a stunner on the wrist https://perezcope.com/2017/02/08/vin...tion-purposes/

Master
    Very nice Alan. I will be in Dublin to collect my 422 back from regulation shortly and I must try one of these when there, should they have one in stock. I assume this has the enormous special edition box? Takes up a bit of space, doesn't It?

Master
    Very nice Alan. I will be in Dublin to collect my 422 back from regulation shortly and I must try one of these when there, should they have one in stock. I assume this has the enormous special edition box? Takes up a bit of space, doesn't It?

Cheers.
    Dare I say good luck.
    Re box, yep one of the big boys. Image from here
    http://www.watchprosite.com/page-wf....53/pi-8436293/

Craftsman
    What a great evolving and changing collection - stellar choices as well

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Smile

That 687 box could double as a coffin Alun!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    That 687 box could double as a coffin Alun!!!
    Hmm... good point, fortunately the other half is very understanding, and loves this particular watch too :)

Lovely collection, thanks for sharing