closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking about an Sea Dweller...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    I wear my sd4k every day and I never feel any “wobbliness”.
    Interestingly I was chatting with a guy who had a ceramic sub on that he had gotten as a significant year birthday present. He asked me what I was wearing and when I showed him, his reaction was “ that’s my watch’s big brother”.
    Agreed. I think the domed caseback featured on the 16600 accounted for the slight top heavy feel. This is not the case with the ceramic models. In my experience, they sit flat on the wrist just like a Sub.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    The 43mm doesn't 'wear' anything like a Deepsea. Not to me anyway. You have to try these on your wrist, which isn't always easy.
    I'd agree. I tried on a mate's 43mm and was surprised at how nicely it fitted. Didn't look too big at all. I found the DSSD too cumbersome on the wrist.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by PSTW View Post
    So I have a Rolex Submariner 116610LN and I’ve had it six or so years. Lovely watch, really happy with it.

However, I’ve had a bit of an itch, for many, many years, for a Sea Dweller. I’m tempted at the moment to pick up the SD4K, while prices seem sensible (ish) but wondered if anyone had gone from a Submariner to a Sea Dweller and would be willing to share their thoughts on the differences between the two in real-world use?

How do the sizes compare, the thickness, the heft. Are there any drawbacks to the SD versus the Sub? Is it as comfortable?

If any of you actually dive with it, as I do with mine, is the SD any easier or harder to use underwater?

Many thanks
    I have and dive with both the Sub and SD4K. Both are excellent, and largely indistinguishable except for one very minor thing re: the 4K. When I adjust it to put over my wet suit (either 3 or 5mm), I use the glidelock as I do w/ the Sub which works great as the bracelet is properly fitted and there's enough adjustment range to work well. The 4K's diver's extension occasionally pops out when I'm putting the watch on, which is no big deal as you just pop it back in to place and once the watch is secured it's no problem. Not having the diver's extention, the sub does not have this glitch. FWIW my Pelagos also has the extension and it does the same thing on occasion. It's really no big deal, and the extension is worth having if you might find yourself using a dry suit from time to time. Otherwise, the 4K is heavier and stouter, but I don't notice it once the watch has been on an hour or two. The key as with the glidelock is getting the bracelet properly fitted. It's a tough choice, as they're both excellent. Best of luck, and dive safe.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    I have and dive with both the Sub and SD4K. Both are excellent, and largely indistinguishable except for one very minor thing re: the 4K. When I adjust it to put over my wet suit (either 3 or 5mm), I use the glidelock as I do w/ the Sub which works great as the bracelet is properly fitted and there's enough adjustment range to work well. The 4K's diver's extension occasionally pops out when I'm putting the watch on, which is no big deal as you just pop it back in to place and once the watch is secured it's no problem. Not having the diver's extention, the sub does not have this glitch. FWIW my Pelagos also has the extension and it does the same thing on occasion. It's really no big deal, and the extension is worth having if you might find yourself using a dry suit from time to time. Otherwise, the 4K is heavier and stouter, but I don't notice it once the watch has been on an hour or two. The key as with the glidelock is getting the bracelet properly fitted. It's a tough choice, as they're both excellent. Best of luck, and dive safe.
    That’s very useful to know, thank you. Almost all of my diving now is done in very cold water and so almost always use a drysuit, but as I hate dry-gloves I usually wear neoprene Waterproof 5mm gloves or 7mm mitts (hands down the best gloves available) with hand warmers as needed. The bracelets just do not fit over a drysuit cuff and a wet-glove cuff at my wrist and because I don’t need to be too concerned with air migration to my hands, I wear my watch on a very long NATO strap on my left forearm (a bit like the astronaut speedy strap). Usually supported by a twin attachment slate in the event the strap gets at all lose from rapid air dumping (which has never happened, but better safe). It would be nice to dive in warmer water and so I hold out hope that the extension will come in handy!

Apprentice
    That’s very useful to know, thank you. Almost all of my diving now is done in very cold water and so almost always use a drysuit, but as I hate dry-gloves I usually wear neoprene Waterproof 5mm gloves or 7mm mitts (hands down the best gloves available) with hand warmers as needed. The bracelets just do not fit over a drysuit cuff and a wet-glove cuff at my wrist and because I don’t need to be too concerned with air migration to my hands, I wear my watch on a very long NATO strap on my left forearm (a bit like the astronaut speedy strap). Usually supported by a twin attachment slate in the event the strap gets at all lose from rapid air dumping (which has never happened, but better safe). It would be nice to dive in warmer water and so I hold out hope that the extension will come in handy!
    As I get older I find colder water to be a real pain. BUT there is something special about it, too, an when that's what the water temp is where you want to go, you have to just deal with it. It also makes warm water such a pleasure when you have the opportunity!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    As I get older I find colder water to be a real pain. BUT there is something special about it, too, an when that's what the water temp is where you want to go, you have to just deal with it. It also makes warm water such a pleasure when you have the opportunity!
    This is such a crap reason on my part - but I live not too far from a few inland sites and so use them a lot for training. In the summer, they’re rammed. Absolutely full to the brim. So the car parks are full, it’s a longer dredge to the water’s edge in full kit, longer wait for air and the water is usually murky. Partly because of the algae and partly because so many inexperienced divers come through that they inevitably stir the silt. All those things are what they are, there’s no point getting bent out of shape about it.

However, the winter is very quiet, the water is infinitely clearer and the visibility is at times fifteen meter instead of the summer’s two to five meters. It’s a hardier dive for the dive times we do, but the joy of a quiet wreck and being able to see it, particularly if we have drills to do, is fantastic.

That and all the dives on my list for fun are in cold places - Silfra and Green Lake, for two.

I owned a 16600, 16660, 116600 and currently wearing a 126600. Ive spent quite some time trying to decide whether I preferred the 16600 and 116600 over my 16710, actually spent a week or two wearing them simultaneously on both hands comparing them. My conclusion was that both the sd and sd4k were close to perfect, however I found them both dull in comparison to the gmt. Now with the combination of the lightweight gmt (which for me is more functional over the sd) and sd50 (which for me removes my objection of sd43 dullness) i have a perfect combination of modern and slightly vintage (yet more stubborn and durable than real vintage). My 2p..

^
    Agreed completely.

The GMT is my favorite watch of all time, and though their bezels aren't as optimal as the Sea-Dweller's for the task, I find that they're more than adequate for recreational diving — particularly with the Fliplock clasp that was available as an option for the 16710. I'd definitely go with a GMT over a SD as my only watch. And I also find that the earlier SDs can be a bit bland compared to the lovely 16710.

However, as a dedicated diver's watch, it's pretty tough to beat the history and functionality of the Sea-Dweller. For me, the slim and versatile 16710 along with the state-of-the-art 126600 would be the perfect two-watch combo.

Apprentice
    This is such a crap reason on my part - but I live not too far from a few inland sites and so use them a lot for training. In the summer, they’re rammed. Absolutely full to the brim. So the car parks are full, it’s a longer dredge to the water’s edge in full kit, longer wait for air and the water is usually murky. Partly because of the algae and partly because so many inexperienced divers come through that they inevitably stir the silt. All those things are what they are, there’s no point getting bent out of shape about it.

However, the winter is very quiet, the water is infinitely clearer and the visibility is at times fifteen meter instead of the summer’s two to five meters. It’s a hardier dive for the dive times we do, but the joy of a quiet wreck and being able to see it, particularly if we have drills to do, is fantastic.

That and all the dives on my list for fun are in cold places - Silfra and Green Lake, for two.
    I'm in the states and there are many times I've been diving in the off season and I totally agree it's worth dealing with the cold. I have also noticed on the right days the visability is far greater in the cold, especially in fresh water where there are less algae blooms and such. Bottom times are shorter (for me anyway), but quality beats quantity every time. I remember once with my old Tudor Submariner when I came out of a cold lake the crystal was fogged and I freaked out. Of course, it was merely on the outside.

Grand Master
    A localish dealer has a 16600 for sale at £5995 in mint condition.

2001 full set.

Ive seen same on here around the same price some a little lower,but I suppose his price is reasonably fair considering a dealer.
    I prefer the 16600 over the newer offerings,what are people's views on how prices might pan out on the last of the SD's.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    A localish dealer has a 16600 for sale at £5995 in mint condition.

2001 full set.

Ive seen same on here around the same price some a little lower,but I suppose his price is reasonably fair considering a dealer.
    I prefer the 16600 over the newer offerings,what are people's views on how prices might pan out on the last of the SD's.
    Laings Edinburgh sold a full set cheaper than that a couple of months ago.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    Laings Edinburgh sold a full set cheaper than that a couple of months ago.

How cheaper?.......Can't check their prices the website is down.

Journeyman
    Im thinking about a SD43.
    I'm 6'3 and have a 8" wrist. The watch being too big is the least of my worries.

Problem is its going to be my first high end watch.
    Having so much funds tied into a watch is somewhat scary.
    I just hate to see the SD43 sell for a couple grand below retail after all the initial demand has died out.

Thinking about an Sea Dweller...

You've got a crush on a sailor?
    Last edited by number2; 20th April 2018 at 10:25.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Stoney Cove? I did my Open Water there many years ago.. Never been back lol.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Stoney Cove? I did my Open Water there many years ago.. Never been back lol.
    Did a few training dives there as well, one in particular where we literally had to 'break the ice'.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Did a few training dives there as well, one in particular where we literally had to 'break the ice'.
    I’ve done a hell of s lot of training at Stoney Cove. The place gets a bad reputation but I find the staff and facilities to be very good and the diving, when it’s off season, to be excellent. For training, only Chepstow is better and that’s only on depth.

Craftsman
    On the subject of the watches, on my trip to London I found only one SD50, that was full plastic on and the fret dealer wasn’t getting that out for anything other than the sniff of a pound note. The only SD4K was in the same place with the same story.

Literally nobody else had anything I could see in the flesh. Which was depressing.

I’ve done a lot of interneting since and on eBay alone, today there are, without any exaggeration, twenty five SD50s for sale there. All of them, of course, at slightly scalpy prices. No wonder there are none anywhere else. The mercenaries have come out in force to profiteer. It’s slightly sickening. At least with the SD4K, there’s a limited stock so I can better understand the prices (which still seem too high).

I had a chance to buy one in Canada a few years ago, while I was on holiday. My wife talked me out of it. Not wise!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    How cheaper?.......Can't check their prices the website is down.
    Was about £300 cheaper and a bit of negotiation after that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by screenkiller View Post
    I just hate to see the SD43 sell for a couple grand below retail after all the initial demand has died out.
    Cannot see that happening and if the red text goes, the red ones will skyrocket!

Master
    On the subject of the watches, on my trip to London I found only one SD50, that was full plastic on and the fret dealer wasn’t getting that out for anything other than the sniff of a pound note. The only SD4K was in the same place with the same story.

Literally nobody else had anything I could see in the flesh. Which was depressing.

I’ve done a lot of interneting since and on eBay alone, today there are, without any exaggeration, twenty five SD50s for sale there. All of them, of course, at slightly scalpy prices. No wonder there are none anywhere else. The mercenaries have come out in force to profiteer. It’s slightly sickening. At least with the SD4K, there’s a limited stock so I can better understand the prices (which still seem too high).

I had a chance to buy one in Canada a few years ago, while I was on holiday. My wife talked me out of it. Not wise!
    If your around Tamworth at any stage, I have both that you can try for size.

Just drop me a PM.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    If your around Tamworth at any stage, I have both that you can try for size.

Just drop me a PM.
    I’m not far at all, that’s very civil of you. PM incoming.