closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 1969 Seiko 6139-6010 service & restore

Master

1969 Seiko 6139-6010 service & restore

Another 6139 refurb (as people seemed to like looking at the pics last time)

Got this watch recently myself off eBay. Was actually quite surprised the price it went for considering it had its original box and papers, even the inner foam pad and the novelty date wheel tag plus spare bracelet links!

The Watch had one previous owner and was sold on eBay on behalf of the widow of its deceased original owner, the family didn’t want the Watch as it was ‘broken’. I actually asked the seller for some provenance relating the box to the Watch & he went above & beyond telling me a bit of history of the gent and where he lived and bought it etc.

Anyway, on to the Watch. A nice blue dial 6139-6010 from 1969 with its original bracelet. Watch wasn’t running, but a shake would show it lived (briefly) and the day wheel was out of alignment.

Here’s how it turned up, crystal scratched, hands a bit mouldy. Good things to note, original two piece sweep & dial looked good.

Movement out the case, lovely dial

Dial removed, day wheel is still together but has slipped round out of line.

Let’s see what it can do... not happy

Close up of train side, dirty and hammer spring missing.

Chronograph bridge removed

More stripping, very dirty around the flyback lever.

Balance ass removed

Train bridge removed

More

Let’s have a look at the dial side. Day wheel removed.

Date wheel & it’s spring in the background

Getting there

Naked

Parts, parts, parts

While parts are cleaning, let’s have a look at the case.

Case stripped down

Quick hand polish on the bezel, and polished sides of case.

Dirt and old D rings cut off

Everything sparkly

Mainspring refitted

Onto the rebuild. I like to use a tiny amount of silicone lube on the top and bottom of the plastic part of the day change mechanism.

Looking clean

Oiling the cap jewel for the dial side balance setting.

Looking good coming together

Back to the train side. Barrel, centre wheel (& bridge) centre Chronograph wheel, third wheel & escape wheel in

Had to make a new hammer spring up, train and chronograph bridges back on

Balance back in. Never gets old when they fire up and live again!

Date whee and spring back in, quick day/date change lever in

Auto work back on and winding bridge

Close up of the mouldy hands. I did bleach these successfully but there was some corrosion on the underside of the hand. I was concerned this would come back to haunt me so I stripped the hands in the end and removed the corrosion, then relume and gave the lume a touch of ageing.

Clean case, new crystal

Onto the bracelet refurb, Anyone for bracelet soup?

Before finish

Re-brushed

And here’s the money shot, hands resumed and aged to match dial markers

And reunited with its original box.

Sorry this thread is a bit patchy, would have liked some more pics on the rebuild but it does add a lot of time doing pics.

Nice job and the 6139-6010 is a lovely chrono variant, I've just finished restoring that exact model this morning and have a pogue stripped and in the cleaner as I type.

Nice to see the box and paperwork too!

Edit* Also nice to see an original hooked coupling lever spring, these were only used in the 1960's.
    Last edited by Thewatchbloke; 9th April 2018 at 11:38. Reason: Extra info

Bravo! Great work, a lovely example.
    F.T.F.A.

About the most enjoyable part of the forum is watching these resurrections, thanks for taking the time to post the photos
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Great job. Well done.

I love these kind of posts

Mark

Master

Thanks chaps. I always envisage a better looking thread but I’m no David Bailey!

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    Nice job and the 6139-6010 is a lovely chrono variant, I've just finished restoring that exact model this morning and have a pogue stripped and in the cleaner as I type.

Nice to see the box and paperwork too!

Edit* Also nice to see an original hooked coupling lever spring, these were only used in the 1960's.

Thanks Duncan. I still can’t believe nobody bid through the roof for it just for the box and paperwork (seeing as it’d complete a mint Pogue that people seem to be splashing mega cash on)

I think this is the first 6139A movement I’ve done, pretty sure they’ve all been 6139B movements otherwise. Do you know how the Chronograph reset feels in comparison to the B Duncan? I had to make a hammer spring and the reset works perfectly but it feels a lot lighter on the button to reset compared to the B movements I’ve done. There’s not the same level of adjustment as the B so I can’t load the tension on the hammer click but they may well just be lighter to use.

Was a shame the hammer spring was missing but seeing the bits of rust I think it probably bore the brunt of moisture ingress.

The sweep hand is pretty cool on these early ones too.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    That is a very comprehensive and interesting report. I service and restore many of this model.
    Finding it hard to get the pinion which drives the inner bezel ring.

Sent from my SM-G900F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Nice work James and a very comprehensive write up

Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    That is a very comprehensive and interesting report. I service and restore many of this model.
    Finding it hard to get the pinion which drives the inner bezel ring.
    Here you go Brendan - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401194563862

There are also aftermarket options out there but I can't vouch for their suitability as I've never used them.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    Nice work James and a very comprehensive write up

Here you go Brendan - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401194563862

There are also aftermarket options out there but I can't vouch for their suitability as I've never used them.
    Thanks d/h !

Sent from my SM-G900F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    This model doesn’t have the inner rotating bezel but assume you’re looking for the one for the 6139-600x (Pogue style)

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    This model doesn’t have the inner rotating bezel but assume you’re looking for the one for the 6139-600x (Pogue style)
    I'm looking for a crown for one if anybody has a spare.