closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fake Rolex

Craftsman

Fake Rolex

Preston’s in Wilmslow will authenticate private Rolex deals free of charge . I think that’s very nice of them .

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Extremely. But I suppose they could gain long term from this, service and future purchases. Hats off to them

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's when you start getting frankens it becomes and issue.

Craftsman
    Very nice gesture.

Yes but will they hold onto the papers for a year once handed over for inspection?

Very risky for them, do they accept responsibility if they get it wrong?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Fake Rolex

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Indeed !!! Personally I wouldn’t hold any confidence in these authentication and valuation letters from jewellers & dealers. Neither worth their paperweight.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    You cannot take someone to court if they did not charge for the service. So they are not at risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    You cannot take someone to court if they did not charge for the service. So they are not at risk.
    Untrue.

http://www.allenovery.com/publicatio...liability.aspx

Master
    I think that Rolex themselves could do something similar. It's easy enough to check that a car is legit even one far cheaper than the average Rolex cost.
    Is there not a USA based site that can be used to check authenticity? I'm sure I saw them do it on Harcore Pawn.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Two points.

The Jeweller has no relationship with the person taking the watch in for a free of charge check of authenticity. He is passing an opinion.

The case you quoted decrees that a relationship had existed and both sides accepted this, therefor a duty of care existed before payment had taken place because both sides expected a commercial relationship to take place at later date and therefor a duty of care was a reasonable expectation.

The courts did agree that this was an exceptional case and it bloody well is.

If you cast your mind back to the 1970, some national carpet retailer sold carpets with free fitting if you bought his carpets. He did this because if the carpet fitters screwed up and the carpet was ruined, no liability would be incurred by the seller, the reasons being, no payment took place for the fitting and there was no previous relationship.

Fair play, if you agree a deal with somebody you could always meet up and get it checked.

Master
    Jolly decent of them I say!

So, person walks in and requests an authenticity check (opinion). Dealer agrees and ‘does the business’ .

if the opinion is a written one, I suspect that there will be a reasonable assumption that putting this in writing establishes a relationship?.

Your carpet analogy is wrong - the fitters were contractually engaged by the carpet supplier to fit, the buyer paid no fitting fee but the supplier paid them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Two points.

The Jeweller has no relationship with the person taking the watch in for a free of charge check of authenticity. He is passing an opinion.

The case you quoted decrees that a relationship had existed and both sides accepted this, therefor a duty of care existed before payment had taken place because both sides expected a commercial relationship to take place at later date and therefor a duty of care was a reasonable expectation.

The courts did agree that this was an exceptional case and it bloody well is.

If you cast your mind back to the 1970, some national carpet retailer sold carpets with free fitting if you bought his carpets. He did this because if the carpet fitters screwed up and the carpet was ruined, no liability would be incurred by the seller, the reasons being, no payment took place for the fitting and there was no previous relationship.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Banned
    That's great of them, it certainly would help weather in writing or not, I wander if there Guilford branch are doing the same?

Master
    If it's fake, aren't Rolex ADs obliged to take it and smash it with a hammer in front of you?

Blog Entries
    If you send a Rolex goes back to Rolex and it is found to be fake, that is the last you will see of it. Squeals that you want YOUR property back will fall on deaf ears. Threats to sue them will cut no ice whatsoever given the impressive might of the Rolex hard-nosed legal team. From time to time, when Rolex have a sufficient quantity of fakes, they will lay them out carpet fashion on a road and drive a steamroller over them. I saw a clip of this procedure some years ago, it was quite entertaining!

Its a great service to offer as an additional check as long as the usual buyer does the usual due diligence when verifying both the wstch and seller and not in place of.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    If it's fake, aren't Rolex ADs obliged to take it and smash it with a hammer in front of you?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    If you send a Rolex goes back to Rolex and it is found to be fake, that is the last you will see of it. Squeals that you want YOUR property back will fall on deaf ears. Threats to sue them will cut no ice whatsoever given the impressive might of the Rolex hard-nosed legal team. From time to time, when Rolex have a sufficient quantity of fakes, they will lay them out carpet fashion on a road and drive a steamroller over them. I saw a clip of this procedure some years ago, it was quite entertaining!
    I'm fairly certain that the clip you saw was the U.S. federal government destroying fakes.

I'd be surprised if rolex did anything so vulgar - it would only serve to acknowledge the threat posed by fakes.