closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Adding a wood burner or gas fire to a new build.

Adding a wood burner or gas fire to a new build.

Sorry for a long post!

We move into a new build in a few weeks and it recently occurred to me that the chimney on the roof must be faux as there aren’t any fireplaces in any of the rooms.

I’m moving from a 400 year old thatched cottage with a wood burner in 3 rooms, so it’s top of my list to get one put in to the new place ASAP.

The new house has a Vent Axia heat recovery ventilation system ducted into every room, which hopefully won’t cause us any complications?

I intend to get a couple of pro fireplace install companies out to tell us what’s what, but in the mean time I wonder if we have any knowledgable people on TZ who could advise?

Could we make the faux chimney into a real one and put a flue from the lounge, through the bedroom above and out through the loft space?

Or can a gas fire vent straight out of the lounge wall at waist height?

The lounge wall luckily has a 1 meter dead end passage outside and then the fence so it would be possible to build a proper brick chimney on the outside of the house and have the fake chimney moved to the end of the roof and made into a real one.

I’m assuming, of course, that there won’t be anything that forbids me from doing any of this, which would possibly make me rethink buying the house at all.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If it's anything like our new build you won't be able to do anything with the faux chimney - I understand ours is solid whilst the top 4 feet or so is fibreglass. You can't tell by looking at it - I only realised when I saw about 5 'chimney stacks' ready to be installed on newer houses. Guess yours might be different.

We got a marble fireplace installed but haven't fitted a gas fire or alternative. It's purely decorative. The central heating keeps the place warm but I do miss a real fire at times.

ATB

Jon

Master
    Is the chimney real or not? The reason I ask is that the last new build I bought actually did have a fully working chimney, albeit there was no fireplace. We had a living flame gas fire and fireplace installed, they just had to open it up through the plasterboard. Best ask the builders.
    I'm not sure what the current situation is, but when we had ours done (admittedly some years ago) if you have the work done at the time of the build, no VAT is payable, better in your pocket.

Craftsman
    Gas fires can vent straight out of the back of the burner - or come up to waist high and then out of the wall if you prefer that look.

Craftsman
    Another option if you have ground level only space (with no upatairs above) is to put a woodburner in and stainless steel vent straight up and out.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I’ll have to find out of the chimney is real or not. It certainly looks real and the house is made of brick and block so I’d hope they used the same bricks for the chimney.

Sounds like there will be options at least. Not sure I’d want to live in a house with no fire! It’s so cosy in the winter!

We are hoping to get something a bit like this...

https://www.platonicfireplaces.co.uk...nstyle-corner/

Fitted a log burner in my house last month and the carbon monoxide alarm has been chirping its head off since, its got that bad today Ive taken the batteries out because the sound was giving me a headache and making me feel sick.

Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    [COLOR=#1D2129][FONT=system-ui]Fitted a log burner in my house last month and the carbon monoxide alarm has been chirping its head off since, its got that bad today Ive taken the batteries out because the sound was giving me a headache and making me feel sick.

Wood burner if you have somewhere to dry store the logs and someone to supply them.

Gas burner if the above are not available.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Check it's not a smoke controlled area too, be a shame to do all that work and not be able to use the stove!