closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sinn 556a VS Tudor BB36

Sinn 556a VS Tudor BB36

Ok chaps, after much deliberation and whittling down of which black dial tool watch I could wear on most occasions, interchange straps with etc (basically an Explorer alternative) I'm now really close to pulling the trigger on one of these two.

So in the red corner I have the Tudor Black Bay 36:

This was originally my final choice, the Sinn has made a late challenge after the 36 saw off all other contenders. The pro's, well there's the brand quality, the lovely simple symmetrical dial and the snowflake hands which I'm a big fan of. High spec ETA 2824, applied indices, great lume, slim profile, 150m WR, screw down crown. The machining of the bracelet is fantastic too.

The con's? Some reviews I've seen say it's very reflective having a glossy dial and minimal if any AR coating. But the main one for me is the size. I tried on the 41, clearly too big. Tried the 36 and it isn't bad but it does just feel a bit on the small side. If it was a 38/39 with 46mm lug length I don't think I'd even be hesitating. But when you're laying out £2k you don't want to compromise. Which I suppose brings me to the final con - the BB36 is roughly twice the price of the Sinn.

So, the opponent, the Sinn 556a.

I prefer the 'a' (for Arabic) version over the 'i' version aesthetically. Big pro is the size; 38.5mm with 11m height - that's the sweet spot for me. Love the understated design, the discreet date window between 4&5. It has 200m WR, I love the H design of the bracelet which also has screwed links, and the fact it has drilled lugs for easy changeability. Also has the ETA 2824, I'm not sure mod wise how what Sinn do compares to Tudor. The 556 also has a display back where you can see the decorated movement and gold signed rotor. Final pro is the price, at about half the cost.

Cons? Hmmm, well the indices are printed rather than applied, but I guess as a pilots watch it's the legibility that counts. The lume is apparently pretty average. And it has AR coating on both sides of the crystal, which again is great for legibility but I hear that makes it a scratch magnet.

If I'm being honest the Sinn has the Tudor on the ropes and is giving it a good pummelling. At a price of £1k vs £2k I'm struggling to find enough between them to justify spending double on the Tudor - in fact if they were both identical prices I'd still be edging toward the Sinn.

Any thoughts, opinions or indeed feedback from ownership?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No contest. Rule number 1 when buying, you have to like what you are looking at, and the second and hour hands of that Tudor are jarringly mismatched with the indices of the dial. Sinn all day long . . . for me . . . IMHO.
    F.T.F.A.

Two great choices there.

I've owned a 556 and currently own a BB36. I think you can clearly see the difference in the quality of the bracelets and the overall fit and finish. The Tudor/Rolex oyster bracelet is supremely comfortable and well engineered. If you plan on changing straps a lot then that might be a problem because the bracelet fits so well with the case that it looks like it would be tricky to remove it. Changing straps is a breeze on the 556 because of the drilled lugs.

How big is your wrist? The BB36 looks great on the bracelet but might wear small on a strap. But when the bracelet is so good, why change it?

Craftsman
    Can't say anything about the Tudor as I don't have one, the Sinn however is a wonderful watch. Although the 556a is not 'hardened' steel it doesn't seem to mark, I have no issues with the AR coating, I'm exceptionally pleased with mine, it seems to be a genuine "all purpose" watch and wears well on a nice leather strap to posh it up a bit too. Cheers, John B4

There’s something not quite right with the dial/handset on the Tudor IMHO. The Sinn, however, looks marvellous, dress it up on the bracelet or put a NATO/strap of some description to tool it down.

All the best,
    Sanjay

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    The Sinn, all day everyday.

Master
    Tricky one this! You know I’ve got both but wear them differently. The BB36 is perfect under a cuff Monday through Friday on the bracelet. However, it’s too dressy for the weekend. Until you swap it onto a chunky strap when it can handle a more casual environment. I haven’t noticed the lack of AR.
    The 556a is almost the opposite! Great on a bracelet/NATO/rubber/strap at the weekend. The crown guards just make it a bit too tooly for the office- sometimes - and you do hear stories of AR on the crystal getting scuffed though it hasn’t been an issue for me.
    If I had to choose one, it would be the Sinn. Better versatility, better value and leaves more cash in the Explorer fund!

Another for the Sinn here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Two great choices there.

I've owned a 556 and currently own a BB36. I think you can clearly see the difference in the quality of the bracelets and the overall fit and finish. The Tudor/Rolex oyster bracelet is supremely comfortable and well engineered. If you plan on changing straps a lot then that might be a problem because the bracelet fits so well with the case that it looks like it would be tricky to remove it. Changing straps is a breeze on the 556 because of the drilled lugs.

How big is your wrist? The BB36 looks great on the bracelet but might wear small on a strap. But when the bracelet is so good, why change it?
    Cant really ague with this, I would have said the Sinn but looking at the two the bracelet, case and finish clearly show where the difference is. Also if you really are looking for that "Explorer" type thing the Tudor seems to be more it. Sinn is a great watch and it seems you have made your own mind up.

I like both, although I've always wanted the numbers to be a little bit smaller on the Sinn, and I want the BB36 to be the same size as the 556 (BB 39?).

Journeyman
    I prefer the size of the sinn, had it been the plainer 556 dial then that would have been my choice. Out of these two, I think the Tudor edges it for me. Either way it's a nice choice to have. Good luck

Cheers gents some good opinions here. As you can tel I'm kind of thinking the difference in preference for me is so minimal whereas the difference in cost of the two watches is fairly significant, which does edge me towards the Sinn with a nice chunk spare to go towards something else. My wrist is roughly 6.5 to 6.75 inches, so not too big for the BB36 in theory, I just feel it wears a bit small even on me.

Sinn but get the I version for sure.

556 all day!! Here's mine, become a regular on my wrist these days.

Journeyman
    I love my BB36, but since you’re planning on putting either on a variety of straps please take into account that the BB36 has a 19mm lug width vs the 20mm on the 556, so you have lesser strap options with the BB36.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    556 all day!! Here's mine, become a regular on my wrist these days.
    Looks great 👍

I have a BB36 (I've commented before on your previous BB36 related thread) and also have a 556, though it's an "i" mocha dial.

I also had a Sinn 757 on a bracelet and currently own an EZM13 on a bracelet. There's no doubt in my mind that the Tudor bracelet is the better quality item, particularly the clasp, however the Sinn fights back with a more practical Allen key screw system for link removal/adjustment. The thing is though, once you've got the number of links sorted you'll never have to do it again, so it's not that much of a win. Don't get me wrong, Sinn's bracelets are robust, practical and the end links always fit well between the lugs, they just don't have the level of finish that the dressier Tudor has. Between the two, the Sinn will be the most versatile should you want to mix the straps up; NATOs, rubber, even the right leather all look great on a 556, and the 20mm lug width will give you more options as well.

The 556 case also has a much more tool-like look to it IMO, and coupled with the Arabic dial it makes it more of a casual weekend watch rather than something that can be dressed up, here I think that the Tudor scores another goal in that it covers smart and casual ends of the scale.

556s come up now and again on SC or you could submit a WTB and see if anyone responds. It very much sounds like you're erring towards the Sinn, you've mentioned your doubts about the BB36's size before and it doesn't sound like they're going away, and with the other plus points you've raised with the Sinn I'll say that this is the one that you should go for. Sinn make great watches so you won't go wrong there, and if you're thinking of buying new then check to see if you can spec your choice of AR, I'm reasonably sure that Sinn will put a crystal in with AR just on the underside if you wish.

Edit - forgot to add that if you're considering the 556 then also have a gander at Damasko's DA range. The DA36 would be the closest to the Sinn though it's a 40mm case. I can vouch for them as well ;)
    Last edited by CardShark; 5th April 2018 at 23:03.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    I have a BB36 (I've commented before on your previous BB36 related thread) and also have a 556, though it's an "i" mocha dial.

I also had a Sinn 757 on a bracelet and currently own an EZM13 on a bracelet. There's no doubt in my mind that the Tudor bracelet is the better quality item, particularly the clasp, however the Sinn fights back with a more practical Allen key screw system for link removal/adjustment. The thing is though, once you've got the number of links sorted you'll never have to do it again, so it's not that much of a win. Don't get me wrong, Sinn's bracelets are robust, practical and the end links always fit well between the lugs, they just don't have the level of finish that the dressier Tudor has. Between the two, the Sinn will be the most versatile should you want to mix the straps up; NATOs, rubber, even the right leather all look great on a 556, and the 20mm lug width will give you more options as well.

The 556 case also has a much more tool-like look to it IMO, and coupled with the Arabic dial it makes it more of a casual weekend watch rather than something that can be dressed up, here I think that the Tudor scores another goal in that it covers smart and casual ends of the scale.

556s come up now and again on SC or you could submit a WTB and see if anyone responds. It very much sounds like you're erring towards the Sinn, you've mentioned your doubts about the BB36's size before and it doesn't sound like they're going away, and with the other plus points you've raised with the Sinn I'll say that this is the one that you should go for. Sinn make great watches so you won't go wrong there, and if you're thinking of buying new then check to see if you can spec your choice of AR, I'm reasonably sure that Sinn will put a crystal in with AR just on the underside if you wish.

Edit - forgot to add that if you're considering the 556 then also have a gander at Damasko's DA range. The DA36 would be the closest to the Sinn though it's a 40mm case. I can vouch for them as well ;)
    Great post, thanks for taking the time to write it. Everything you've said is on the money. I do wish the BB36 was a shade bigger. I'm feeling more and more drawn to the Sinn, pretty sure my mind is (finally!) made up.

Mocha dial 556i looks great by the way.

There's no doubt in my mind that the Tudor bracelet is the better quality item, particularly the clasp, however the Sinn fights back with a more practical Allen key screw system for link removal/adjustment. The thing is though, once you've got the number of links sorted you'll never have to do it again, so it's not that much of a win. Don't get me wrong, Sinn's bracelets are robust, practical and the end links always fit well between the lugs, they just don't have the level of finish that the dressier Tudor has. Between the two, the Sinn will be the most versatile should you want to mix the straps up; NATOs, rubber, even the right leather all look great on a 556, and the 20mm lug width will give you more options as well.
    Are you talking about the "finelink" or the "H" bracelet? I've got the finelink on my Sinn 556i Anniversary and it is hard to imagine quite how it could be bettered for quality.

PS: In my view the 556 in this configuration an absolute joy. The only watch i know of with a crown that feels like the one Rolex use, and a dial configuration that pops and makes me smile every time. The only fly in the ointment is that despite Sinn marketing images suggesting that these have "top" movements by showing an Incabloc protector, in reality its an Etachoc and thus only Elabore grade.

Last edited by raysablade; 5th April 2018 at 23:44.

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Great post, thanks for taking the time to write it. Everything you've said is on the money. I do wish the BB36 was a shade bigger. I'm feeling more and more drawn to the Sinn, pretty sure my mind is (finally!) made up.

Mocha dial 556i looks great by the way.
    No problem, and thank you

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade View Post
    Are you talking about the "finelink" or the "H" bracelet? I've got the finelink on my Sinn 556i Anniversary and it is hard to imagine quite how it could be bettered for quality.
    My comments were directly related to the H link, however the 556 in my previous post came with a fine-link style bracelet in the box. I've tried it once however I wasn't keen on the look so it's been on the rather splendidly matched brown leather strap ever since - from memory I'd say that the fine-link is closer but not quite a match to the Tudor, the clasp on the latter is one of the best I've tried. For example, the "snick-snick" of the double clasp folding over the ceramic bearings has a real quality feel to it.

I'll have to try that bracelet again actually, perhaps my perception of it may change 2nd time around.

My comments were directly related to the H link, however the 556 in my previous post came with a fine-link style bracelet in the box. I've tried it once however I wasn't keen on the look so it's been on the rather splendidly matched brown leather strap ever since - from memory I'd say that the fine-link is closer but not quite a match to the Tudor, the clasp on the latter is one of the best I've tried. For example, the "snick-snick" of the double clasp folding over the ceramic bearings has a real quality feel to it.

I'll have to try that bracelet again actually, perhaps my perception of it may change 2nd time around.
    i found the sizing approach, ie more than two link sizes so keep swaping until you get it just right, daunting but ultimately rewarding.

PS And the look suits the starburst dial.
    Last edited by raysablade; 6th April 2018 at 07:30.

Just a thought, have you looked at the older 36mm or 39mm Railmaster?
    A mix of the Arabic dial from the Sinn and a more dressy case, keeping the 150m WR and great build quality.

Journeyman
    I like that Railmaster a lot - thanks for the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by hoopsontoast View Post
    Just a thought, have you looked at the older 36mm or 39mm Railmaster?
    A mix of the Arabic dial from the Sinn and a more dressy case, keeping the 150m WR and great build quality.

Haha, I'd just about made my decision and you throw a spanner in the works! I hadn't but I definitely will now, thanks for the tip 👍

Journeyman
    Railmaster- Sinn - Tudor. I’m not a huge fan of the Tudor IMHO

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lconcado View Post
    Railmaster- Sinn - Tudor. I’m not a huge fan of the Tudor IMHO

I think all of these are very attractive watches. Hard to call. All tasteful IMO. All legible. All prob have similar retention. I don't think you can go wrong as long as you try each before buying.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Ok chaps, after much deliberation and whittling down of which black dial tool watch I could wear on most occasions, interchange straps with etc (basically an Explorer alternative) I'm now really close to pulling the trigger on one of these two.

So in the red corner I have the Tudor Black Bay 36:

This was originally my final choice, the Sinn has made a late challenge after the 36 saw off all other contenders. The pro's, well there's the brand quality, the lovely simple symmetrical dial and the snowflake hands which I'm a big fan of. High spec ETA 2824, applied indices, great lume, slim profile, 150m WR, screw down crown. The machining of the bracelet is fantastic too.

The con's? Some reviews I've seen say it's very reflective having a glossy dial and minimal if any AR coating. But the main one for me is the size. I tried on the 41, clearly too big. Tried the 36 and it isn't bad but it does just feel a bit on the small side. If it was a 38/39 with 46mm lug length I don't think I'd even be hesitating. But when you're laying out £2k you don't want to compromise. Which I suppose brings me to the final con - the BB36 is roughly twice the price of the Sinn.

So, the opponent, the Sinn 556a.

I prefer the 'a' (for Arabic) version over the 'i' version aesthetically. Big pro is the size; 38.5mm with 11m height - that's the sweet spot for me. Love the understated design, the discreet date window between 4&5. It has 200m WR, I love the H design of the bracelet which also has screwed links, and the fact it has drilled lugs for easy changeability. Also has the ETA 2824, I'm not sure mod wise how what Sinn do compares to Tudor. The 556 also has a display back where you can see the decorated movement and gold signed rotor. Final pro is the price, at about half the cost.

Cons? Hmmm, well the indices are printed rather than applied, but I guess as a pilots watch it's the legibility that counts. The lume is apparently pretty average. And it has AR coating on both sides of the crystal, which again is great for legibility but I hear that makes it a scratch magnet.

If I'm being honest the Sinn has the Tudor on the ropes and is giving it a good pummelling. At a price of £1k vs £2k I'm struggling to find enough between them to justify spending double on the Tudor - in fact if they were both identical prices I'd still be edging toward the Sinn.

Any thoughts, opinions or indeed feedback from ownership?

I have a Tudor BB 36, and so pleased with the quality of it, especially the case. I changed mine to a Hirsch Camelgrain leather strap after having it on the NATO for a while. I understand what you mean about the case size though, for me its just the right size.

Craftsman
    IMG_1221.JPG[ATTACH]13716[/ATTACH
    If this helps , as you can see I have the fine link bracelet and it is very comfortable , practical and resilient. There are options for fine tuning with various link sizes to optimise fit .... typical German top quality engineering .
    Extremely pleased with this watch.
    I do not have the Tudor you are comparing against but have other Tudors and enjoy their foibles equally .
    All in all , you pays your money your takes your choice ..... having said that you have (had until the Omega spanner) narrowed it down to two excellent options . Good luck with your deliberations.

Norbert
    Attached Images Attached Images

Craftsman

Sinn 556a VS Tudor BB36

[QUOTE=Norbert;4727605]IMG_1221.JPG[ATTACH]13716[/ATTACH
    If this helps , as you can see I have the fine link bracelet and it is very comfortable , practical and resilient. There are options for fine tuning with various link sizes to optimise fit .... typical German top quality engineering .
    I do not have the Tudor you are comparing against but have other Tudors and enjoy their foibles equally .
    All in all , you pays your money your takes your choice ..... having said that you have (had until the Omega spanner) narrowed it down to two excellent options . Good luck with you deliberations
    Last edited by Norbert; 6th April 2018 at 18:55.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Norbert View Post
    [ATTACH]13716[/ATTACH
    All in all , you pays your money your takes your choice ..... having said that you have (had until the Omega spanner) narrowed it down to two excellent options . Good luck with your deliberations.

Norbert

Norbert

Banned

Sinn 556a VS Tudor BB36

That sinn reminds me of a Seiko spork , I’d say the Tudor edges it for me

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had a Sinn 756 and liked it a look. Annoyingly the Sinn fails the “does the minute hand touch the minute markers” test so I couldn’t live with it.

Journeyman
    Definitely the Sinn. I have one and it has been admired quite a lot. I just love the 3 6 9 dial and the tiny date window. The Tudor has strange looking hands and is really just a poor man's explorer and it is twice the price of the Sinn

Tudor.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by helmbarrie View Post
    Definitely the Sinn. I have one and it has been admired quite a lot. I just love the 3 6 9 dial and the tiny date window. The Tudor has strange looking hands and is really just a poor man's explorer and it is twice the price of the Sinn
    If the Tudor is the poor man's Explorer. I wonder what the Sinn is if it's only half the price of the Tudor.

Journeyman
    Tudor - but I have a thing for snowflake hands.

Sinn, although i’d pick one of the versions with applied hour markers.

Went with the 556 anni pictured above myself. Nice combination of tool, minimalistic yet interesting enough.

The Tudor all day long. A more distinctive and classic design that oozes class imo. You could wait for a BB58.

Master
    I'm surprised no mention has been made of the Speedbird III, l know they're out of stock but that would be my choice and l'd be checking the Sales forum and place a WTB.

From the OP's alternatives, I would go for the SINN on aesthetics alone. I seriously considered one when I was in my "I can't justify an Explorer" phase. I ended up buying one for my 50th. If an Explorer's what you ultimately want, accept no substitute. The thought will linger and gnaw away at the back of your mind. Trust me, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyGood View Post
    The Tudor all day long. A more distinctive and classic design that oozes class imo. You could wait for a BB58.
    Wearing my BB36 today and have to agree with this. Mind you, the Sinn 556 anniversary edition also oozes class, the design is clean as a whistle and I would have kept it had it been 36mm. The BB36is just a better size for my wrist.

Craftsman
    I have no personal experience of Tudor (or Rolex), but I do own 3 Sinn models (U2, U1000 & 103).

In terms of durability as a tool watch I'd say that my U2 is far better than any Tudor / Rolex "scratch magnet".... I've worn my Sinn U2 for almost 11 years straight and there is hardly a mark on it despite having travelled around the world and having been worn at the shooting ranges twice a week (with all the associated concrete and brick-work)... by contrast, I have handled friend's Rolex watches and they are scratched to b*uggery having been worn in comparable environments to my Sinn U2.

If you want mens jewellery buy a Tudor or Rolex...... if you want a tough tool watch, then you can't go wrong with a Sinn :-)

Craftsman
    BB36 needs a bezel? Something’s amiss.
    36mm Railmaster would be great, perfect. Might be difficult to find. Aren’t they discontinued?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So after all the Sinn 556a vs BB36 stuff, I'm pretty sure I've settled on a Tudor Heritage Ranger 😂 Similar design to the 556a with the 3/6/9/12 arabics & baton combo, drilled lugs etc but has the symmetrical no date aesthetic of the BB/Explorer, plus the Tudor quality of finish. Tried one on the other day. At 41mm I was worried it'd feel too big like the BB41, but the case is a bit rounder and the lugs are a couple of mm shorter in length and, as a result, it seemed to wear smaller.

Was really impressed with the design, the quality and the way it looked on. Will be pulling the trigger later in the year, after family holidays etc are paid for!

Master
    OP what did you go for in the end?

Sent from my SM-J530F using TZ-UK mobile app

I really like the Tudors and their snowflake hands but on this one I'll go with the Sinn, not very fond of the BB36.

Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post
    OP what did you go for in the end?

Sent from my SM-J530F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Tudor Ranger 👍

Master
    Tudor Ranger
    Good choice. Sinn and Tudor are my favourite manufacturers. I love my 556 but also my Tudor BB GMT. The Ranger is a great watch. It's great to wear a watch for it's function and aesthetic that isn't one of the usual suspects. Enjoy.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Sinn any time.