closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Email from D.M.R. Regarding Rolex Sales

Master
    Can’t wait for the first SC advert that states. BLNR, fully stickered, unsized, warranty card will be forwarded in 12 months time.£9k. Rolex people absolute suckers...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by troymcclure72 View Post
    Can’t wait for the first SC advert that states. BLNR, fully stickered, unsized, warranty card will be forwarded in 12 months time.£9k. Rolex people absolute suckers...
    Wait for the one that states "BLNR, fully stickered, unsized, WITH warranty card in-hand, £12k"

Seen a sky dweller on eBay stating card will follow in 12 months lol

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Pointless this endless arguing about it here, that's their policy - if you're not happy argue with the AD (and see if that helps you get up the list).
    What happens if they go under whilst holding your card?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    Seen a sky dweller on eBay stating card will follow in 12 months lol

Seriously? Lol, as long as they’re offering a free glass of champagne count me in! I want the full eBay experience.

Master
    Personally I would have no issue with this if i wanted one of them. I hope it stops speculators somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Now I can't pass on the Sub at any price because it won't have the card; unless someone on SC is trusting about the scenario etc and agrees they'll accept the warranty card will make its way to them down the line.

The thing is, no matter how long they keep the warranty card, it only delays somebody selling a watch. It doesn't stop it.
    It'll probably become the norm for new, flipped watches to sell without warranty cards, and I'd bet you'd have zero problems selling on here without one for the current 'going rate', whatever that is. This combination of seller, watch and soon-to-be-norm of a temporarily incomplete package wouldn't put off too many people, I'd say.

I still want to know what will happen when a second owner pitches up at the AD that holds the card looking for a warranty repair.

If AD’s insist on holding cards, perhaps suggest they might want to throw something into the purchase to soften the blow. I wouldn’t expect something big, but a token gesture on the AD’s part might make some customers a bit happier about the situation.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Operation Grandslam View Post
    If AD’s insist on holding cards, perhaps suggest they might want to throw something into the purchase to soften the blow. I wouldn’t expect something big, but a token gesture on the AD’s part might make some customers a bit happier about the situation.
    They won't add a thing. It's hard enough getting them to chuck in an umbrella or what have which are given to them free by Rolex anyhow. If you want a watch, you play by the rules, and that's their rules.

If I’m spending a small fortune on a new watch;

a) Ownership includes box and papers as originally supplied
    b) I decide as owner if I want to sell at any point after having purchased
    c) I shouldn’t be beholden to the manufacturer for giving them a small fortune
    d) Therefore I won’t be wasting my money on a new Rolex

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post

It seems you and a lot on the forum would ideally like that!

But reality is you want the card no watch!

Bingo👍🏻

Craftsman
    They won't add a thing. It's hard enough getting them to chuck in an umbrella or what have which are given to them free by Rolex anyhow. If you want a watch, you play by the rules, and that's their rules.
    Tell me about it, is like trying to get blood out of a stone. I would try my best for them to leave the stickers on at least. If it's a watch I really want I'm not too fussed.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I bought my Sub 10 years ago, after a two month wait at Hamilton & Inches. I bought my Explorer at Gassan's in Schiphol when passing through three years ago and I admit I was lucky, I was after one and they had one in stock. I'm very happy with both of them and am not in the market for anything new from Rolex at the moment but is demand really so high compared to previous years that the ADs have to retain the warranty cards?

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I bought my Sub 10 years ago, after a two month wait at Hamilton & Inches. I bought my Explorer at Gassan's in Schiphol when passing through three years ago and I admit I was lucky, I was after one and they had one in stock. I'm very happy with both of them and am not in the market for anything new from Rolex at the moment but is demand really so high compared to previous years that the ADs have to retain the warranty cards?
    Simple answer Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I bought a new 14060 from Fraser Hart, no waiting list at all. There was one in the window and I went and bought it. I’d been thinking about a 114060 for a little while but it’s become a joke. Even Giles at Oakleigh is selling a new one £1k over retail.

I don’t blame people making money when the demand is what it is but I just don’t get that Rolex feel the need to restrict their supply to maintain their prestige status. They could release thousands more sports models a year without affecting their brand.

Master
    If we zoom out a big and look at the big picture...

Demand is at an all time high, people are literally queueing up to pay 8k£+ for stainless steel watches... Peak before some kind of economic crash or just a new paradigm... ? I mean normal people with wages too, not multi-millionaires...

Rolex arent responsible for creating the demand (if demand could be created that easily then why don't Omega et. al. do it... ), they havent limited any production, they have reached capacity and wont increase it.

Rolex SA haven't decided per se to limit steel watch production for some kind of marketing purpose, remember they have a huge collection and Professional watches aren't the cash cow for Rolex or ADs...
    ADs place their orders at Basel and they make a hell of a lot more selling two-tone and solid gold watches, and watches with diamond dials and bezels, than they do selling some paltry steel GMT... They don't want to order more steel professional models than they really have to and it's mainly a pain in the backside for them to deal with all the hubbub that surround these few models (right now the "in demand" steel models are Skydweller, Sub Date LV, GMT BLNR, SD43, Daytona and GMT BLRO). What reason do they have to order more of these trouble making, low profit watches, compared to say two-tone daytona with diamond MOP-dial (huge seller)? None... except using them as leverage to make some gullible asian tourists buy 2-3 other watches at full price just to get a SS sub at retail...

It's really fun to observe, especially as I dont care for the new GMT much (the blue red bezel is a bit clowny and everyone has slated the jubilee for years, now its suddenly the flavour of the month...)

I think rolex are very wise not to ramp up production, as there will come an inevitable downturn and harmonization of prices worldwide eventually.

Also, none of these watches are hard to get. I can have a 116500 within exactly three clicks of a mouse. Add to basket, check out with paypal, confirm.... And people are obviously happy to pay greymarket inflated prices, just for the convenience... Noone will be interested in the AD/jump through hoops/"earn the right to buy" so called "experience" in the future generation. If its not available to buy online right now, its not interesting, moving on.

Richemont are already selling JlC and Cartier online and someday, even Rolex and Patek will have to follow suit, it's not a question of if but when.

Master
    Do you have figures to suggest Rolex can't possibly produce any more than they currently do? If that was the case, the fact that a lot of ADs have lost their status in the UK would surely mean more watches to go around less ADs; yet a lot of people on here, myself included, have heard the same thing from dealers stating that they can't believe how little stock they're getting through.

They absolutely make much more money on a gold piece, but they also sell nowhere near as many. The dealer I used to use always told me how they hadn't sold certain gold models for over 12 months. All that value just sat there, so of course they need steel models; they're a big part of the profits as they sell so quickly. They'd be crazy not to fill their order books with Pepsi GMTs etc; they know they could sell 100 if they could get their hands on that amount.
    Last edited by W44NNE; 2nd April 2018 at 22:26.

To be fair it’s just certain models not all Rolex some you can get just like any other watch. Reality is if people voted with their feet, stopped being treated like children and bought a JLC, Blancpain, Breguet or any other watch you can find of equal price and in some cases for less with a bit of haggling Rolex would soon change their tune.

I mean seriously, man walks into shop “Hi I would like a steel sports Rolex” oh sorry sir you will have to wait on a list for several months and even then you still may not get it if we don’t feel like and if you do we keep whatever parts of the package we feel like. Bloke says “Well that sounds like a great idea and in no way do I feel like I am being treated like an utter chump where do I sign?”

Saying goes don’t hate the player hate the game.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    ...Rolex would soon change their tune...
    Logical to think that, but it would never happen. It's also incredibly unlikely demand will diminish no matter what practises are implemented by dealers. They all know this which is why it's happening.

Logical to think that, but it would never happen. It's also incredibly unlikely demand will diminish no matter what practises are implemented by dealers. They all know this which is why it's happening.
    Totally agree won't making any difference Rolex going in different direction may be trying to more exclusive brand like Patek!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    ...may be trying to more exclusive brand like Patek!!!

Personally this is what I think they're doing as well. It feels like a re-shuffle at the top with sights set on new trends. Too many dealers are complaining about stock levels coming through to them. As one of the largest brands in the world, it's doubtful anything could stop them being able to multiply capacity unless it's artificially constrained for their own reasons, like it always has been.

The issue is, it's such a closed book of a company, whatever we say on here is our own opinions and theoretical thoughts as there'll never be anybody to back up what we're saying who has inside knowledge.

In the world other than WISland I wonder just how many aspiring Rolex buyers would be in the least bit concerned about their dealer retaining a warranty card. Not many, I reckon.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    In the world other than WISland I wonder just how many aspiring Rolex buyers would be in the least bit concerned about their dealer retaining a warranty card. Not many, I reckon.

R
    Indeed - no doubt the vast majority will accept the t&c's and a few lost from the list is neither here nor there for the retailers. Not that keen on new Rolex myself, but it's interesting how the brand maintains its ability to create a profitable secondary market from a few must have SS sports models that are likely a small part of its overall commercial success.

I’ve never had that much problem getting AD’s in central London to chuck in a sweetener/ extra. These rarely end up being items of much value though.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

R
    In the non WIS world I wonder how many people actually buy a Rolex steel sports watch? Is the air king not considered to be Rolex best seller?

Rolex have basically done something that most other watch companies could only dream of doing, creating a market that just did not exist. They tried to go down the top tier middle tier route with the Date Just (Old mans watch) Cellini (Why would I pay 10k for a Rolex dress watch when I can get a Lange?) So now they have essentially made a watch that previously was on general sale appear to be some mythical top tier watch. Limit the numbers and create bizarre obstacles to ownership and they have tapped into the weakness of every middle aged male with a bit of disposable income, dangle something in front of them then tell them they cant have it. They will literally throw money at you to have it.

Keeping a warranty card will solve nothing. What is stopping the AD from giving his mates preferential treatment on the list like a few have mentioned on different threads? How is lack of warranty really going to stop someone selling if someone really wants to buy? Person A wants to buy a Rolex off person B who has the papers at DMR. Simple, the papers are there and in 12 months he can pick them up, if he needs them he just contacts person B of if required person B sends the watch back to DMR with papers for any repair that needs doing. Do people seriously believe that DMR is deeply worried that some dealer is going to come in and buy up 10 Rolex subs and sell them at a profit?

As someone with a preference for the old mans date just, two tone sub, Cellini, 11600 I just hope Rolex have a happy farm of battery hen buyers to fleece before they start on the watches I like!

Master
    I still can’t believe people think it’s a good idea or will do any good.

As I’ve been saying since this was first ever mentioned, even if it was policy across all dealers from tomorrow it wouldn’t change anything in the grey market!

So let’s say no warranty card is now the norm for every Rolex bought, if the first buyer is happy to get the Watch without, why wouldn’t the next owner! Hilarious to think it’ll stop flippers!

If the only way to actually get your hands on one from a grey dealer is without warranty card then that’ll be how people will buy them. Do people really think they’ll be sat around at grey dealers for below retail price because they don’t have a card? haha. I can just see it now, none in the official dealers and loads in the grey dealers cheap, nobody is buying them though because they haven’t got a warranty card. Is that in any way likely? Can anyone imagine that scenario? Nope.

Demand is the problem, withholding bits of paper aren’t going to stop some ‘must have’ buyer who’s willing to spend thousands of pounds over retail buying the watch.

The ONLY way to stop the madness is to produce more watches so people can buy one. But then of coarse if people can just get them they probably won’t want them!

Or they have got fed up of calling up people on lists for them not to be interested in the actual watch when money is involved? After calling 10 or so people(who can't afford it for whatever reason) it probably would of been quicker and easier sticking it in the window to sell to the first person that walks past! Still don't agree to the whole card holding lark, but doesn't put me off as it's been mentioned before purchase - so no issues imo!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boundary546 View Post
    ”We feel this is preventing our genuine, local and loyal clients from getting onto our waiting lists or sadly in some cases paying huge premiums in order to own the watch of their dreams.”
    A little proof reading might have helped.

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    Richemont are already selling JlC and Cartier online and someday, even Rolex and Patek will have to follow suit, it's not a question of if but when.
    I think you touch on a valid point there. AP have indicated they'll sell pre owned and I suppose it's a matter of time before new are sold online. Perhaps phased in a while after the brand new model is introduced?

https://www.digitalcommerce360.com/2...resale-market/

Interesting situation and to me if I was buying new at an AD it wouldn't bother me in the least if the card was held back at all.

What is a flip here though is the many views saying that it'll become the norm to buy secondhand without the card and it'll change nothing. Doesn't this somewhat fly in the face of all the anxiety and concern that was being spread after the thread anout the improving quality of fakes?

I know a card is just a card, but without it, surely folks would rather not take the risk of buying very expensive watches that could be high quality fake, and would rather just buy from AD's or reputable sources. I would guess that most stolen watches are sold without cards too. This will impact second hand sales surely? Perhaps we'll see an increase in AD's retailing secondhand Rolex where they have the ability to verify authenticity (and lost/stolen status) back with a Rolex, and with that will naturally come increases in Secondhand prices. Just a few thoughts how this could play through.

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    Interesting situation and to me if I was buying new at an AD it wouldn't bother me in the least if the card was held back at all.

What is a flip here though is the many views saying that it'll become the norm to buy secondhand without the card and it'll change nothing. Doesn't this somewhat fly in the face of all the anxiety and concern that was being spread after the thread anout the improving quality of fakes?

I know a card is just a card, but without it, surely folks would rather not take the risk of buying very expensive watches that could be high quality fake, and would rather just buy from AD's or reputable sources. I would guess that most stolen watches are sold without cards too. This will impact second hand sales surely? Perhaps we'll see an increase in AD's retailing secondhand Rolex where they have the ability to verify authenticity (and lost/stolen status) back with a Rolex, and with that will naturally come increases in Secondhand prices. Just a few thoughts how this could play through.
    If the watch is a high quality fake it’s hardly rocket science to produce high quality fake papers to go with it!

Yes many stolen won’t have papers but then how many average joes keep the papers...or the box for that matter...just takes up space!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    I think you touch on a valid point there. AP have indicated they'll sell pre owned and I suppose it's a matter of time before new are sold online. Perhaps phased in a while after the brand new model is introduced?

https://www.digitalcommerce360.com/2...resale-market/
    Exactly, and AP are already limiting certain models to their own boutiques only, like the RO Jumbo. Patek 5711/12s may soon become boutique only too, then they have total control over who actually gets them.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    If the watch is a high quality fake it’s hardly rocket science to produce high quality fake papers to go with it!

Yes many stolen won’t have papers but then how many average joes keep the papers...or the box for that matter...just takes up space!

I know, and I agree with you on that. But in that well known thread re fakes, the fake was good but the warranty card gave away a tell.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    I know, and I agree with you on that. But in that well known thread re fakes, the fake was good but the warranty card gave away a tell.
    Few seconds on google and you can find a site in China selling full sets of boxes and blank paper work for Rolex, Panerai, hublot etc etc.

Few seconds on google and you can find a site in China selling full sets of boxes and blank paper work for Rolex, Panerai, hublot etc etc.
    Agreed again, but as I said already..... in that well known thread regarding fakes the quality fake had a warranty card, but it had flaws that could be easily detected.

I still think that in the coming age where a large number of nearly new rolex don't have warranty cards, we'll find a situation where buyers will move to official dealers (inc the greys) where they have the ability to authenticate and check L/S status.

Master
    I think 'provenance' will become key. A verifiable audit back to the AD, including proof of payment. This may sound like an invasion of privacy, but if private sellers want to inspire confidence, this is what it might take. I don't see an obvious alternative. Even then a determined conman might succeed.
    But then, ADs keeping paperwork is not about authenticity, it's about control.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    What happens if they go under whilst holding your card?
    Exactly, the high street isn’t the most stable place at the moment. Worse if they go under with your deposit!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I think this is fair enough, at least they're trying to do *something*. Whether or not it works, time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluemoon7 View Post
    I can’t help but laugh when people say things like “what if they lose the card”?
    I wasn’t laughing the day that a respected and very long-established Rolex AD lost the boxes and papers to an 18ct DateJust which I had left with them to sell on my behalf. The ensuing discussion regarding the difference in value was not comfortable for either of us.

Craftsman
    Just had a call from WOS where I usually buy new Rolex from.

It was just confirm I am on the waiting list for the Pepsi.

The guy says that after Basel all these things have come from Rolex.

12 months for keeping the warranty card and unless you are someone who regularly buys from them but not local keep your list to as many local people you can.

And anyone who they do not know who wants to go on a list must come in person to do it.

True or not I don't know but I have bought numerous new Rolex from him and he got me a seawdeller 2 months after Basel last year so he has no reason to fill my head with stories.

He specifically used the phrase "stop watches going to the grey market"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard. View Post
    I wasn’t laughing the day that a respected and very long-established Rolex AD lost the boxes and papers to an 18ct DateJust which I had left with them to sell on my behalf. The ensuing discussion regarding the difference in value was not comfortable for either of us.
    I can't imagine I'm the only one who would be keen to hear how this turned out Richard - only if you're willing to oblige of course?

Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    Exactly, the high street isn’t the most stable place at the moment. Worse if they go under with your deposit!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Pay by credit card.

Quote Originally Posted by MST View Post
    I can't imagine I'm the only one who would be keen to hear how this turned out Richard - only if you're willing to oblige of course?
    When, having failed to sell the watch in question, they realised that this problem could be career changing, the dealership was turned upside down until the missing items were discovered. My expectation would be that this new policy would include a robust policy to ensure that the cards are not mislaid. My original point was that, while I would be inclined to go with this policy rather than not get the piece, I would want to establish a clear understanding as to my expectation should they fail to deliver my warranty card in due course.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard. View Post
    When, having failed to sell the watch in question, they realised that this problem could be career changing, the dealership was turned upside down until the missing items were discovered. My expectation would be that this new policy would include a robust policy to ensure that the cards are not mislaid. My original point was that, while I would be inclined to go with this policy rather than not get the piece, I would want to establish a clear understanding as to my expectation should they fail to deliver my warranty card in due course.
    AD with large staff turn-over, seasonal staff, admin assistants etc etc, what could possibly go wrong...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawbreaker5000 View Post
    I wouldn't believe him. Just check it on the website:
    https://www.rolex.com/rolex-dealers/...lex-watch.html

"Only your Official Rolex Retailer can place a guarantee card inside the box that certifies your watch’s authenticity. All new Rolex watches have an international 5-year guarantee, issued by Rolex itself, that will be completed and dated by your Official Rolex Retailer at the time of purchase and registered with Rolex."

He specifically used the phrase "stop watches going to the grey market"
    IMO their job is to sell watches, not to fight the grey market. They don't sell less watches or make less profit because of the grey market, so what's the point? They can already decide whom they're selling to, why isn't that enough? And if the grey market is an issue for Rolex, they'd do something officially.
    Last edited by vcarter; 3rd April 2018 at 21:07.

Master

12 months for keeping the warranty card and unless you are someone who regularly buys from them but not local keep your list to as many local people you can.
    Suggested maybe, but not enforced. What a load of BS. So are you going to buy?

Master
    Well apparently this chap had to sign a 3 year contract for his Daytona!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=594683

Location I’m guessing is Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post

Excellent and the post has over 200 responses.

This thread may well top that by the morning........

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post

They don’t ask that of good customers.