closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Likelihood of sourcing a Submariner at a UK AD?

Master

Likelihood of sourcing a Submariner at a UK AD?

First world issue, but I feel like a change from my two tone GMT, even though I love it. I’ve had that a year, and now the shape of the Submariner case has finally grown on me after all these years, I feel like it would be a good option to replace the GMT.

I’ve been wearing a friend’s Hulk whilst I decide whether to keep the fully stickered one I have or not. I bought it on a whim alongside a d-blue to tie up some cash, but the longer they sit there, the more likely I am to give in and wear it/them. These were purchased abroad, hence me sourcing the black sub from the UK. The only UK AD I had a “relationship” with lost their Rolex status a while back.

The Hulk could well be a keeper, but I have a Kermit that’s very sentimental, and obviously they’re both similar in colour to a degree. So I’m thinking along the lines of sell my GMT & Hulk, and pick up a standard black Sub Date instead (116610LN) to go alongside my older LV.

However, if it’s going to be a nightmare to find one, and they’re going to hold back the warranty card etc, then I can’t really be bothered with all the jumping hoops and pretentious sales patter. So are there any chances of calling up a number of ADs to find one do we think, or am I looking at waiting lists?
    Last edited by W44NNE; 2nd April 2018 at 05:59.

Have you tried the place you bought your LVc and Deepsea from ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Have you tried the place you bought your LVc and Deepsea from ?
    I actually purchased those abroad, so I’m looking to find this watch in the UK.

Master

Not sure!

I personally love the Hulk so would just wear that but from the friends I have that do have a relationship with a dealer then there is the waiting list!?!?
    Sometimes you get people offering up their slot on a list when they have been called but does that mean their name goes on the paperwork? Plus surely that’s the same as a waiting list anyway just a little shorter!

I’d kill for the hulk which is just a green sub anyway?!?!

Chris

Personally I’d just take the Hulk out the box and start wearing it. I love mine - it’s so much more interesting than a bog standard diver.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 2nd April 2018 at 10:14.

While I understand the principle of Rolex restricting supply to maintain high demand etc, to the mass market the submariner is THE iconic Rolex that most new buyers would want, so long term I think restricting supply of their core model could affect their appeal to the next generation. Having said that it’s done them no harm to date

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Thanks for the replies. From a value perspective, I know the Hulk is much better at holding its money. It owes me a LOT more than UK retail thanks to travel costs and the EU pricing, but I expect I could achieve my money back.

This makes the standard black sub a sub a lot less money though if I was to find one in the UK, so that’s another good reason for me to go with the LN really. I’ll probably call a few dealers and get the lie of the land.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Personally I’d just take the Hulk out the box and start wearing it. I love mine - it’s so much more interesting than a big standard diver.
    This........

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Personally I’d just take the Hulk out the box and start wearing it. I love mine - it’s so much more interesting than a big standard diver.
    Second that or put a wanted post for black on here

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ichaice View Post
    I was after a Submariner last year. I rang a few AD's and was offered two within a week. Stickered up, warranty card the lot supplied by a London AD.
    Last year and now miles apart !!

One in the window in Harrogate just before Christmas.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    I would wear the hulk and save yourself the hassle trying to get a sub date, lists are closed/too long or no longer exist now here in Scotland. You have the sd43 too.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Master
    There’s definitely subs about, seen a few people get them with a bit of leg work - few phone calls and/or calling I’m a few AD’s should get one quite quickly. As for you 11661LV - one to keep hold of I think, very hard to get from an AD now.

Call around, leave your name. It won’t take long for a Sub.
    It's just a matter of time...

True. I had to wait only four months for the call for a SubD and that was just being down on 2 ADs.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    The sub is due an update, they will have to chuck a new movement in it at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    The sub is due an update, they will have to chuck a new movement in it at some point.
    100 % agree think will be next Basel. Yes Wayne ring round see how you get on with actally getting on a list lol. You might be one of the lucky folk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Thanks for the replies. From a value perspective, I know the Hulk is much better at holding its money. It owes me a LOT more than UK retail thanks to travel costs and the EU pricing, but I expect I could achieve my money back.

This makes the standard black sub a sub a lot less money though if I was to find one in the UK, so that’s another good reason for me to go with the LN really. I’ll probably call a few dealers and get the lie of the land.
    I started looking for ND Sub in November/December and got one mid March. AD allegedly bumped me up the list but I am not so sure if this statement was just an attempt to make me feel better. I had only purchased once from them before but had dropped in several times for a chat with the salesperson and was also invited to an exhibition. Still don’t believe I qualify as a good enough customer to get that special treatment of jumping the queue though.

All UK ADs I tried for ND Sub told me their Sub Date lists were closed so I believe what you’re after is definitely harder. In fact, I have been to several countries over the last 6 months and didn’t find any desirable SS models in any of those places, with only one exception.

I am in a similar situation to you with a foreign purchase costing far more than UK RRP, except that it is a standard Sub Date unlike your Hulk so I can’t even get all my money back unless there is a price increase.

Master
    Completely obvious and I have no doubt it’ll happen next Basel, but 48hr power reserve is more than enough for me, and if we sat around waiting for updates on phones, cars watches etc, we’d never buy anything I guess.

Thecurrent sub has aged nicely. I never used to like the case, preferring the SDc initially, however it’s the other way around for me now.

2 weeks ago WOS in Brighton had both the date and non date in the window. I bought the non date for a mate and the date sold 30 mins later. They do turn up Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    2 weeks ago WOS in Brighton had both the date and non date in the window. I bought the non date for a mate and the date sold 30 mins later. They do turn up Wayne.
    I remember them was thinking wow!

Master
    Called three stores just now. One in Leeds, one in Wilmslow and one in Manchester. One was “3-6” months and the others “6-12”. I haven’t put my name down yet as I’ll ring around a bit more, but I also haven’t investigated whether I’ll be expected to let them hold the cards etc.

I was given all cards and tags etc

Called three stores just now. One in Leeds, one in Wilmslow and one in Manchester. One was “3-6” months and the others “6-12”. I haven’t put my name down yet as I’ll ring around a bit more, but I also haven’t investigated whether I’ll be expected to let them hold the cards etc.
    Prestons Leeds hold the card for 2 years

Master
    I was given all cards and tags etc
    Just spoke to another AD who don’t have a list but told me they’re getting one to two a year, and have 8 orders. A bit of confusion there but looks like you either have to be lucky, or, as usual, best mates with a dealer.

It is my understanding that the one in Wilmslow may look to retain the warranty card and would also give priority to existing customers, unless they apply a different approach to the one adopted by their outlet down south.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Completely obvious and I have no doubt it’ll happen next Basel, but 48hr power reserve is more than enough for me, and if we sat around waiting for updates on phones, cars watches etc, we’d never buy anything I guess.

Thecurrent sub has aged nicely. I never used to like the case, preferring the SDc initially, however it’s the other way around for me now.
    My point is supply may get a bit better as the GMT did, look how may had BLNR deliveries just before Basel this year. Also the Black GMT has not been that elusive either.

Master
    My point is supply may get a bit better as the GMT did, look how may had BLNR deliveries just before Basel this year. Also the Black GMT has not been that elusive either.
    A friend had to wait around 6 months for a GMT call. I think as others have said, all steel models seem to be limited in availability now. The real issue for me in Manchester though is there’s no good AD around here any more. Rolex have pulled so many concessions, they’ve made it much harder to find a stockist; it’s pretty much become impossible.

Craftsman
    Wempe in New Bond Street had a new sub date at rrp hidden out the back last week, that they let me try for size.
    May well be gone by now as it sounds as if they are in demand, but happy to pm you the phone number on the card I was given if of any help.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moses View Post
    Wempe in New Bond Street had a new sub date at rrp hidden out the back last week, that they let me try for size.
    May well be gone by now as it sounds as if they are in demand, but happy to pm you the phone number on the card I was given if of any help.

Thanks, wouldn’t mind that actually... I’ll let you know how I get on.

Craftsman
    Disagree on the black GMT, it's now harder to obtain also.

Before we ungracefully exit from the EU (with all its unknowns around tax, import duties, etc) would it be possible to source one from another European country? If you picked up a cheap flight might this be an option? There's also Turkey which has some official (and many unofficial!) Rolex ADs and which is also served by the bargain bucket airways.

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    Before we ungracefully exit from the EU (with all its unknowns around tax, import duties, etc) would it be possible to source one from another European country? If you picked up a cheap flight might this be an option? There's also Turkey which has some official (and many unofficial!) Rolex ADs and which is also served by the bargain bucket airways.
    How is Turkey now preferable to EC after Brexit?

Master
    With the d-blue and Hulk, the higher EU prices didn’t matter as they’re worth that and more in the UK anyway. However, a black Sub date would work out to around £7k + travel costs, so it doesn’t make that much sense unfortunately.

Master
    I spend equal amounts of time in France and Spain as I do in the UK, SS Rolex are as much in short supply over there as they are here.

Rolex have cut back production and it's now beginning to show.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    How is Turkey now preferable to EC after Brexit?
    I meant that might be somewhere else to look as well as countries in the EU and which was easy to get to, as opposed to having to fly to the US or Canada which would incur a lot more cost.

I meant that might be somewhere else to look as well as countries in the EU and which was easy to get to, as opposed to having to fly to the US or Canada which would incur a lot more cost.
    Ok, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post

Rolex have cut back production
    Have they indeed?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Have they indeed?
    Well what do you think ?

I was talking to an AD in Madrid during mid January and he said it is like Rolex have cut him off. It was, of course, a figure of speech but yes the volumes have been reduced.

Master
    However, a black Sub date would work out to around £7k + travel costs, so it doesn’t make that much sense unfortunately.
    Yup, £7k was exactly how much mine worked out to be in the end. Not really worth spending £750 over UK list for a black Sub Date. You’re doing the right thing by trying to buy here (if you can find one). At least I didn’t incur any additional travel costs as we were on holiday, not travelling just for the watch.

Well what do you think ?

I was talking to an AD in Madrid during mid January and he said it is like Rolex have cut him off. It was, of course, a figure of speech but yes the volumes have been reduced.
    It’s more likely that they are simply sending them somewhere else.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard. View Post
    It’s more likely that they are simply sending them somewhere else.
    Like where ?

Well what do you think ?

Not as fair as I can see. Only AD’s suggesting times of higher demand. All figures available suggest increased sales, so I can’t see there being a specific reduction in play. There are of course certain models where demand has increased disproportionately - but again, I can’t see any proof that a Rolex have decreased their actual production of those models.

Master
    Not as fair as I can see. Only AD’s suggesting times of higher demand. All figures available suggest increased sales, so I can’t see there being a specific reduction in play. There are of course certain models where demand has increased disproportionately - but again, I can’t see any proof that a Rolex have decreased their actual production of those models.
    What are these "figures" of which you speak ?

Craftsman
    I was at an AD on Saturday and they have closed shop and partly the decision was due to Rolex UK advising them that stock was not going to be held in Kent going forward and everything would be supply on demand basis.

I can't see the smaller independent stores lasting much longer.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoyR View Post
    Disagree on the black GMT, it's now harder to obtain also.

I have seen quite a few black GMTs in ADs windows this year, posted a few on the heads up thread. One was even in London at rrp.

Craftsman
    I have seen quite a few black GMTs in ADs windows this year, posted a few on the heads up thread. One was even in London at rrp.
    Is it still the same now? There are lists for these also and they don't last if they do come in. I know as I recently acquired one with a bit of difficulty.

What are these "figures" of which you speak ?
    Increased sales figures.

Rolex UK for example submit their accounts.

Master
    Increased sales figures.

Rolex UK for example submit their accounts.
    Though various AD’s both in the U.K. and U.S. have said that the SS/professional models are apparently being reduced by 40% production. I’ve read that on various forums and had told to me by a few AD’s.

I was in Vegas last week and did my usual visit to the Wynn Rolex (now owned by WoS), Tourneau and the Rolex boutique at Caesar’s and there wasn’t a sniff of any of the sought after models (on here that is). Plenty of DJ (and I mean plenty) and PM models.

When I say there wasn’t a sniff, they did have a white skydweller (which I have) right next to the white gold skydweller and it did make me think how pee’d off I’d be to have paid over double for a watch that looks incredibly similar. Okay different batons and a slightly different shade to the dial but hardly noticeable to most people.

Two tone sub freely avail in window at goldsmiths bullring today

Admit it’s not going to be much of a change for you though