closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Small classic beater recommendation

Small classic beater recommendation

Hi, looking for a more casualwear beater for my better half to backup her longines conquest. She likes the look of Seiko GS, Sarb etc. And cheaper Seiko seems the right price point. Would like a day complication. But it needs to be max 35mm. Maybe 36mm at a push if wears small. Any thoughts?

Master
    Blog Entries
    This?

http://www.thewatchhut.co.uk/seiko/m...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Put aside about an hour to spend trawling through one of the bigger online suppliers. They'll be loads to choose from.

Don't know how much cheaper than GS you mean, but if you mean Seiko 5 cheap, then this website has every Seiko 5 on its database with a fantastically detailed search function, e.g. you can say 36mm maximum diameter.

http://www.watchsleuth.com/seiko5finder/

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Don't know how much cheaper than GS you mean, but if you mean Seiko 5 cheap, then this website has every Seiko 5 on its database with a fantastically detailed search function, e.g. you can say 36mm maximum diameter.

The Seiko 5's are a great bet. If you can stand the thought, there are some passable Timex jobbies out there too.

Small classic beater recommendation

The SKX013 springs to mind, as that is 36mm. Quite an austere watch, but many enjoy theirs. It’s a down-sized SKX007, with the same movement etc in. It has both a day and date complication.

Otherwise, perhaps look at the Smiths PRS-29a? That is 36mm, but handwound and without a day or date function. A beautiful watch, but fixed lugs means Perlon, NATO, one-piece, or clip-on straps... you won’t be able to fit a bracelet. Doesn’t wear especially small, either. Lovely watch, though.

Perhaps a Hamilton Khaki of some sort? Though I think they start at 38mm?

As others have mentioned, perhaps a Seiko 5 of some sort? Good casual watch, and tougher and better quality than any automatic <£100 has a right to be.

There are loads of types of 5, but these military watches look the best, IMO, and are 35mm with the day and date.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...QBL&ref=plSrch

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post

That is a great site, thanks for sharing the link

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Master
    I’m on a bit of an Oris crusade at the moment! Would a BIg Crown Pointer Date be any good?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Err, do you really want to get an auto? With the day complication it would be tiresome to set it every time the power reserve runs out.

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=Dark Side of The Loon;4720198]The SKX013 springs to mind, as that is 36mm. Quite an austere watch, but many enjoy theirs. It’s a down-sized SKX007, with the same movement etc in. It has both a day and date complication.

SKX013 is 38mm

The SKX013 is 38mm, and quite chunky too.

Depends what your budget is, but given you've stated the day complication as a must I'd be looking at the Seiko 5 too, as other people have suggested. So many styles it's ridiculous, everything from divers to Datejust homages, and incredible value.

Quote Originally Posted by stolid View Post
    Err, do you really want to get an auto? With the day complication it would be tiresome to set it every time the power reserve runs out.
    I was about to pitch in and recommend a Seiko5 but my missus also wears a Longines, an attractive Quartz Dolce Vita.

She was suggesting to me last year that she would like a DateJust but when I was explaining to her that she would have to set the time and date every time she put it on she quickly lost interest.

I reckon very few women have the same interest in automatic watches that men have...