closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tudor GMT vs Explorer 2

Craftsman

Tudor GMT vs Explorer 2

Would anyone take a Tudor over an Explorer 2? Just putting it to the floor..

I know the Exp 2 even second hand would cost more, but just interested to see if anyone would take the Tudor

Journeyman
    The new Tudor will do everything the Rolex does but in a new generation movement with 70 hour power reserve. Yet some people will still go for the Rolex.

On paper I would choose the Tudor everyday but having not handled either I couldn't say for sure.

Why choose between them? I have an explorer 2 black dial which I love but I will eventually add the Tudor GMT to my collection. They both have the same GMT function but with the Tudor having a Pepsi bezel they are very different. I certainly prefer the Tudor GMT to the new Rolex Pepsi GMT

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Based on the pictures - like a shot. It's a much nicer looking watch in my opinion

Why wouldn't they?

Master
    Tudor all day long...

Banned
    difficult to compare the 2 , the rolex is such a classic watch and has been around for a long time , it has stood the test of time . however the tudor is a new watch and the pepsi bezel is beautifull , however it is flavour of the month and may not have the same appeal that the explorer 2 has now in 10 years from now .

Explorer II every time in any incarnation. The new Tudor is a nice watch, but very niche. Snow flake hands, strange choice of an old looking modern rivet bracelet, and even more so in daddy's shadow now they released both in the same year imho!
    It's just a matter of time...

I have an Exp II and have put a deposit down for the new Tudor. I initially thought that I might sell the Rolex to buy the Tudor (as they would duplicate functionality), and keep the change, but I think I will sell something else instead, as the Exp II is such a nice thing, and it is my only Rolex.
    Dave

Is the Tudor GMT available to buy now? I rang a local AD this morning and they said hoping to have them in around Christmas, apologies if I have missed the issue date.

Cheers

Don’t like the Exp II so will be going with the Tudor.

No matter how good the Black bays look, or how appealing the price, I'm not keen on the size.

Now if Tudor ever do a GMT in the fifty-eight case then that's a different story.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I really like the Tudor and fully expect to eventually buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rbains0708 View Post
    Why choose between them?
    Oh I dunno....perhaps not being able to afford both?

Banned
    I think the Tudor is a stunning looking piece. I'd definitely have one over the Explorer 2. Bizarrely my favourite Rolex is the Explorer 1 but the 2 does nothing for me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Guz View Post
    Is the Tudor GMT available to buy now? I rang a local AD this morning and they said hoping to have them in around Christmas, apologies if I have missed the issue date.

Cheers
    Circa June

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Circa June

Thank you sir

Maybe takes another 6 months to make it across the Irish Sea

The Explorer 2 seems to be one of the least popular sports models (notwithstanding individual preferences stated here), whereas the new Tudor GMT seems to be getting a lot of people excited. So it's an interesting comparison.

I've tried on the BB divers and chrono and do find them a bit big and almost clumsy on my small wrist. I'm keen to try the GMT but have a nagging suspicion I might find the same result as the case looks the same as the other BBs.

As mentioned by another poster - if someday Tudor makes the GMT in the Fifty-Eight case then I've no doubt it would be a winner. But I don't think they'll do it.

If I had the choice right now, I'd take the Tudor and cash difference over the Exp II.

Circa June

That’s what I was told.

I would

Master
    I chose my Pelagos the explorer 2. Having worn both I preferred the Tudor a lot more which I didn’t expect. Also the power reserve is genuinely useful. First world problem I knwo but putting a watch down on Friday tonhave to wind it again on Monday is annoying.

The gmt and explorer are quite different looking watches. Instinct says the Tudor again. They are just epic value for money.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    I really like the Tudor and fully expect to eventually buy one.

Oh I dunno....perhaps not being able to afford both?
    m

So I wasn’t the only one to think this then?!

Asides, does any one know if the Tudor GMT will be as slab sided as the standard B.B.? I haven’t been able to find any pictures that show it from the side. I couldn’t find a depth measurement either on the Tudor website.

I must be one of the only people to see the Tudor GMT as a bad thing. I've had 3 pelagos's and currently have a LHD, I've always felt that TUDOR was a brand where rolex could express themselves using different designs to its parent company, the use of Titanium and bronze support this, the production of a GMT in the same year as rolex offer their offering just smacks of homage, I predict that loads will be sold, and loads will be on SC in 3 months as everyone will hate the 'is that a rolex comment'

I don't quite get why tudor did it TBH.

I have an polar explorer and whilst i'm not a rolex fanboy, I would take the rolex

Quote Originally Posted by Chewitt13 View Post
    I must be one of the only people to see the Tudor GMT as a bad thing. I've had 3 pelagos's and currently have a LHD, I've always felt that TUDOR was a brand where rolex could express themselves using different designs to its parent company, the use of Titanium and bronze support this, the production of a GMT in the same year as rolex offer their offering just smacks of homage, I predict that loads will be sold, and loads will be on SC in 3 months as everyone will hate the 'is that a rolex comment'

I have an polar explorer and whilst i'm not a rolex fanboy, I would take the rolex
    Hardly anyone comments on our watches though, most people don't even notice watches so there won't be many 'is that a Rolex comments?' to potentially annoy GMT buyers. Even if someone asked me whether it was a Rolex it wouldn't bother me in the slightest, I already own a Rolex anyway. So I can't see how any of this will lead to a flood of SC posts. I'm sure we'll see a fair amount of SC posts due to it being a relatively affordably-priced and in-demand watch which can be bought and flipped without much loss.

I wonder what a Tudor Le Mans chronograph - referencing the original Daytona design - would be like?

Master
    I literally just bought and exp ii about three weeks before this release information. As much as I love the new GMT from Tudor ( I own two Tudors already) I will stick with the exp ii as my only gmt. It just feels and looks like much more of the tool watch I need it do be.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

How could it be a bad thing? The new SS Rolex GMT won't even make the display cabinet. If I wanted one I wouldn't be able to buy one – it'll be years before one appears in my AD's window. So at least with the Tudor it's likely that somebody could at least view it, try it on and buy it, without bunging the dealer an additional envelope of cash, or having to leave behind the warranty card.

Had it been a Pelagos GMT I'd have been all over it. I already have an Explorer 2 but still intend to buy a blue Pelagos. Maybe I should to see what Tudor do next but I can't imagine they'll have two different GMT watches in the range.
    "A man of little significance"

three snowflake hands? no thank you.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    How could it be a bad thing? The new SS Rolex GMT won't even make the display cabinet. If I wanted one I wouldn't be able to buy one – it'll be years before one appears in my AD's window. So at least with the Tudor it's likely that somebody could at least view it, try it on and buy it, without bunging the dealer an additional envelope of cash, or having to leave behind the warranty card.
    Don't know if the ADs are going to try it on with the Tudor GMT.
    I had a call today saying that the whole group are only getting 60 Tudor GMTs and do I want to reserve one (20% deposit) with delivers from July to December.
    Thought I'd have a chuckle and asked if I'd get 10% discount like I got on the Pelagos, the phone went very quiet.
    I do like them, but think I would rather try one on first, plus I'm not in to the whole hyping things up game.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Would I take a BB GMT over an Explorer 2? No

The 16570 is my favourite Rolex, and favourite watch come to think of it. The Black Bays', all of them, are good watches at their price point, but I have never seen anything to tempt me compared to the (much more expensive) Rolex sports.

Sticking to their price point, there is a lot of quality and value in the BBs'. The 58 is by far the most interesting to me, but the GMT with it's colour scheme inherited from the earlier Rolex GMT Master is just derivative and to me quite uninspiring. The quality is great, as is the value, but the size is too big, and the colour scheme....well no.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Had it been a Pelagos GMT I'd have been all over it. I already have an Explorer 2 but still intend to buy a blue Pelagos. Maybe I should to see what Tudor do next but I can't imagine they'll have two different GMT watches in the range.
    Oh I think they will - coke black bay with date anyone - Basel 2019 maybe?

... I predict that loads will be sold, and loads will be on SC in 3 months...
    I do hope so - I'd like to get my name down for a new one, but think I've probably missed the boat already.

Craftsman
    Tudor GMT every day of the week.

About 99% sure I'll sell my two-liner Pelagos and get one when it comes out.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Oh I think they will - coke black bay with date anyone - Basel 2019 maybe?

There'll almost certainly be other GMT variations coming, they won't have developed the Tudor GMT movement for just a single model. There'll probably be two tones and new dial bezel colours coming, Tudor like variety.

Master
    Which Explorer II? The 42mm 216570 I wouldn't thank you for, the 16570 I'd take over the Tudor. Let's be real, rockin a Tudor always says "I can't afford a real Rolex".

Quote Originally Posted by famyklebust View Post
    Tudor GMT every day of the week.

About 99% sure I'll sell my two-liner Pelagos and get one when it comes out.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    Ooft tuff call that. Not sure I’d let mine go

Master
    Which version of the Rolex? I'd take the 40mm version over the Tudor, and the Tudor over the 42mm.

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    Let's be real, rockin a Tudor always says "I can't afford a real Rolex".
    It doesn't, you can get a 16570 from Chrono24 for £3.3k, the Tudor GMT won't be much less. And there are loads on here that have bought Rolex over the past 30 years for a less than a modern Tudor.

Master

Agreed. Could not let my pelagos go.

Master
    Interesting question as the latest releases make Tudor into Rolex’s sub-brand for people who prefer the original dimensions and case shapes. However the 16570 ticks that box, while the Tudor has a hint of reproduction about it given the rivet bracelet. I’d take the 16570, which feels like a late model vintage classic, though the Tudor’s certainly look pretty.

In the end it will come down to how you feel about the brand image most likely, and won’t be particularly rational.

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    Which Explorer II? The 42mm 216570 I wouldn't thank you for, the 16570 I'd take over the Tudor. Let's be real, rockin a Tudor always says "I can't afford a real Rolex".
    I have to disagree, but if a person needs needs a safety blanket on their wrist to demonstrate their superiority, bless them. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    There'll almost certainly be other GMT variations coming, they won't have developed the Tudor GMT movement for just a single model. There'll probably be two tones and new dial bezel colours coming, Tudor like variety.
    Without a doubt, stand by for more variations

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallang View Post
    The new Tudor will do everything the Rolex does but in a new generation movement with 70 hour power reserve. Yet some people will still go for the Rolex.

On paper I would choose the Tudor everyday but having not handled either I couldn't say for sure.
    Can’t help but feel that Tudor’s drive over the last few years with marketing is going to push their prices up considerably on more vintage pieces

Craftsman
    The 16570.
    One of the best Rolex sports watches ever.

Great shot! Which strap is on the pelagos?

Tudor GMT vs Explorer 2

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post
    Great shot! Which strap is on the pelagos?
    That is a gorgeous supple dark brown / black made by Pav79 of this very parish. Think it’s the 4th I’ve bought from him. Look him up
    Edit - the type of leather is dark brown African Kudu easier to see in this pic than my amateur monochrome shot

Last edited by RustyBin5; 2nd April 2018 at 09:36.

Rolex for me although i do like the black bay tudorz

That is a gorgeous supple dark brown / black made by Pav79 of this very parish. Think it’s the 4th I’ve bought from him. Look him up
    Edit - the type of leather is dark brown African Kudu easier to see in this pic than my amateur monochrome shot

Thanks! That looks really nice

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rbains0708 View Post
    Why choose between them? I have an explorer 2 black dial which I love but I will eventually add the Tudor GMT to my collection. They both have the same GMT function but with the Tudor having a Pepsi bezel they are very different. I certainly prefer the Tudor GMT to the new Rolex Pepsi GMT

This, except I "might" add the Tudor Pepsi at some point. I'd happily consider trading my Omega AT in against one today, however I'm assuming they will be hard to come by for a while?

Tudor value for money is great. Their residual is amazing and I think the gmt will be a limited supply so if you get one you can always use it as a nice stepping stone to a Rolex gmt perhaps?

Master
    Maybe there is nothing not to like about the current range of Tudor's - let's call them "Subs" - but they seem to be getting more chunky in design as well as shape which will put some off

A Rolex is a Rolex and the Explorers, although not as popular as the "Subs" are beautifully made watches and will always keep or increase in value which may not be the case with a Tudor

At £2.5k new a Tudor sub is maybe a no brainer to buy new ....... but there is always that question or suspicion for some of "is it just a Rolex poor relation or copy" and many look on them as such, particularly now that they are looking more "similar"

I like the Tudor range and have always been tempted to buy one ........ but never have and would rather buy a used Rolex at £3.5k versus the Tudor GMT .... which some will indeed see as a Rolex copy.

So for me it would be an Explorer, a 16570
    Last edited by BillN; 2nd April 2018 at 12:55.