closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cordless vacuum cleaners - advice

Craftsman

cordless vacuum cleaners - advice

Hi,

I was looking into the cordless dyson vac - any owners on here who can give some advice? Is it worth the cost or are there other brands worth looking into?

Thanks

Master
    Aldi was stocking 'em, so they can't be that good.

I got one for Christmas and love it. Excellent sucking power and great ease of use now I've screwed it's docking station to the wall.

They were on sale on Black Friday for £99 on Dysons' own website.

http://www.dyson.co.uk/shop/vacuum-c...ubcat=handheld

Master
    In my experience the quality of Dyson is just terrible they just always break and I will never buy another.

Craftsman
    Dyson have gone downhill over the last years. I dont own a cordless only a full size. Check battery life as i heard they dont last long on a charge.

Cordless units are not meant to replace a mains vac. As additional ones they're excellent. I have a Dyson cordless for odds and ends and a quick hoover or this or that area, and the excellent GTech Air Ram. If it had tools it could replace a mains vacuum but it doesn't, and the dust collector isn't large, but as daily vac or whatever it beats hauling out a heavy mains unit. GTech battery life is very good. It'll do the house several times over on one charge.
    I've had, touch wood, no reliability issues with either over the years I've had them.

Master
    We have a g-tech air ram as well and I find the suction power on it to be very poor, there is a Bosch machine that gets some pretty good reviews but none of them will be ideal which is a shame as the market is crying out for a good one.

Funny, some say that but all my close family have one and wouldn't be without it. The suction on mine lifts the Wilton from the underlay as it passes over. Which? hasn't given it a best buy but remarks it has considerable loyalty amongst owners. My mate borrowed mine prior to his wife buying one. He has a huge Bouvier and it managed its long hair without problem.

Blog Entries
    We have been using a Dyson 34 Animal as our cordless vacuum for about 18 months now, it works perfectly, has excellent balance, has pretty good battery life and has excellent suction.

Frankly it is the only hand-held vacuum that we have ever owned that has suction worth a damn!

Highly recommended!
    Last edited by KavKav; 3rd February 2015 at 09:08.

Master
    Had a Dyson lasted 6 years. Loved it.
    Replaced it over Chrismas with a 44 Animal.

I bought one a few years ago and it was very good whilst the battery held up - literally for about 10 mins tops (which was apparently normal) and after a year the battery just died and they cost too much to replace IMHO. I think they look better than they really are - and now most of their range seems very overpriced.

I did some research a year ago and bought the 18v black and decker pivot over the dyson. Similar suction but much better battery life. Not been disappointed with it.

My parents just replaced a corded Dyson with a Gtech AirRam K9 and a Dyson DC59. They also briefly had the Gtech Multi, which was very poor. Bear in mind that they only have around 10% of the suction power of a corded Dyson, so probably won't be feasible as a main vacuum, especially if you have pets, carpets and stairs.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Have had two Dyson main hoovers and one hand held....I found them to be poorly built,crap battery life and lost suction very quickly. Never ever again.

Got a Dyson handheld and its bloomin marvellous. Perfect for car, chasing kids round with cake crumbs and the usual household carnage. Had it a few years now, no probs whatsoever with it.

Master
    I had a Dyson once and quite frankly I would have been better getting down on my knees and sucking up the dirt through a straw it was so useless. I bought a Vorwerk. Ludicrously expensive but brilliant.

Master
    Bought the DC59 last year despite being very sceptical about it. The fact is; it works incredibly well and when used on a patch of carpet already vacuumed, picks up an embarrassing amount of extra (unseen) dirt. It also works very well on both cat hair and long blonde hairs... Not mine i should add!

Run time is a pro and a con. By the time the battery is dead its time to stop anyway imo.

Pros:
    Its so easy to use on carpets & the sofa. Really convenient.
    Picks up dust and hair far better than my old Henry does.

Cons:
    It should be good, think i paid ~£350, so an expensive convenience
    You'll probably need a secondary vacuum cleaner. I use Henry for anything really messy.
    Surprisingly (Dyson normally have good ergonomics) find the charging input jack is right where my hand goes. This is annoying!
    You need to empty it often and its a bit fiddly.

Everyone who's see it in action wants one! So if the price is not an issue..

- - - Updated - - -

Edited to mention that i used to be quite anti Dyson and I'm still not entirely convinced by the durability v price of the upright range.
    Last edited by ArcofZen; 3rd February 2015 at 10:39.

I've never had one so I can't comment but incredible how Dyson so polarizes opinion.

Master
    The motor in my DC35 died after 2 1/2 years and cost about £85 to fix. I still think it's good at what I use it for, it's a shame you cant buy the carbon brushes for the head separately as mine have gone, with a wife with long hair and 2 Maine Coons there is a lot of hair that gets picked up and tangled.

Blog Entries
    Never liked Dyson but we have a Vax fully cordless and so far so good.

http://www.vax.co.uk/air-cordless-lift

Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    We have a g-tech air ram as well and I find the suction power on it to be very poor, there is a Bosch machine that gets some pretty good reviews but none of them will be ideal which is a shame as the market is crying out for a good one.
    We've had our G-Tech Air Ram for 2 years and love it. With little kids it's great as you have to use it several times a day. Charge time is quick and the battery lasts ages. Of course, once a week for a proper vacuum I bring out the big guns....Henry!!!!

G-tech air ram.......you'll get no better suck for your buck, well excluding the £35 hummer you'd probably get in most Car parks after 10:30 at night.

Recently bought a DC59 Animal. Toyed with buying the GTech but was put off by the fact that it seems to be better for large minimalist apartments not full of crap like our house. The lack of ability to attach various nozzles, brushes etc. was a minus too.

So far so good. It could do with being half the price, have double the battery life and a quarter of the charge time (what cordless tool couldn't?) but works surprisingly well. Very good for the removal of ginger cat hair from upholstery which seems to be its main use.

My father in law has a Gtech Air Ram. It is lightweight and very portable. We have a Gtech Multi which replaced a Dyson handheld. We've been very pleased with it.

Journeyman
    G Tech, excellent bit of kit

another vote for gtech air ram here and a charles (henrys big bro) when big stuff is needed or wet vac

Craftsman
    Thank you for the advice - seems it is between the dyson and gtech.

I wanted it for light jobs and ease of use. I will pull out the proper vaccum (Sebo) for bigger jobs.

I was looking at the gtech sweeper, however the features of the dyson also look appealing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PS View Post

I wanted it for light jobs and ease of use. I will pull out the proper vaccum (Sebo) for bigger jobs.

I was looking at the gtech sweeper, however the features of the dyson also look appealing.
    Well good luck with them but as I said I have both and think the quality and suction on both machines is just rubbish and I wouldn't buy either make again, John Lewis used to sell the G-Tech but they don't anymore and I wonder why!

Strange how people can have such different experiences with the same machine.
    Do bear in mind that suction is not all that defines how well a vacuum works.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    Do bear in mind that suction is not all that defines how well a vacuum works.
    Agreed. Sometimes peoples expectations can be too high and they expect an electric cordless vacuum to have the same suction power as a regular vacuum which of course it rarely will.

Our G-Tech is used a dozen times a day on tiles, laminate and carpets and picks up everything we need it to quickly and easily. We have a large ground floor area and it's brilliant for flying round doing a quick pick-up. Is it as powerful as Henry? Of course not. But it's an important tool in our home.

I'm not a G-Tech rep by the way.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Agreed. Sometimes peoples expectations can be too high and they expect an electric cordless vacuum to have the same suction power as a regular vacuum which of course it rarely will.

Our G-Tech is used a dozen times a day on tiles, laminate and carpets and picks up everything we need it to quickly and easily. We have a large ground floor area and it's brilliant for flying round doing a quick pick-up. Is it as powerful as Henry? Of course not. But it's an important tool in our home.

I'm not a G-Tech rep by the way.
    It's not about my expectations as when we first got the G-tech it performed ok really as I never expected it to be as good as our normal plug in machine but our air ram has really deteriated in suction power and now it is not much better than useless and bear in mind John Lewis did sell this product but they no longer sell it in their stores and I wonder why, possibly due to the amount of dissatisfied customers.

Quote Originally Posted by PS View Post

Sebo is our mainstay as well.

It's not about my expectations as when we first got the G-tech it performed ok really as I never expected it to be as good as our normal plug in machine but our air ram has really deteriated in suction power and now it is not much better than useless and bear in mind John Lewis did sell this product but they no longer sell it in their stores and I wonder why, possibly due to the amount of dissatisfied customers.
    Did you register it for the extended warranty (5 years) when you bought it Andy? If not, I think they only charge £55 for a pick-up, repair and return. I do see your point about John Lewis though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Did you register it for the extended warranty (5 years) when you bought it Andy? If not, I think they only charge £55 for a pick-up, repair and return. I do see your point about John Lewis though.
    I don't know if we did in fact I have no idea what the guarantee was but the problem is finding the paperwork :) as we are having an extension done and everything is in turmoil!

I don't know if we did in fact I have no idea what the guarantee was but the problem is finding the paperwork :) as we are having an extension done and everything is in turmoil!
    Been there so understand completely.

Master
    Chaps

Living in Wiltshire means that I often talk to employees in Dysons HQ.

They always say that anything powered by the mains will always be better anything powered by a battery.

Regards

Mick

^
    A bit scary for the ladies, methinks!

Anything new out for the car?

I'm looking for a compact cordless vacuum for the car – any recommendations?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I'm looking for a compact cordless vacuum for the car – any recommendations?
    In my experience they are all crap I have binned my useless cordless Dyson and just use a normal vacuum so much better.

Craftsman
    Got a Dyson hand held about five years ago and it ok but runs out of power after 3-5 mins . Used the old mans g tech and that was very poor . Both have issues to be fair

We got 2 Dyson Absolute V6's (a couple models out of date now) in the inevitable sales when they were clearing out for the new model. We have them and a Roomba and don't really need anything else. This is in a 5 floor townhouse with 2 cats, so its not like there isn't dust & fuzz needing clearing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Never liked Dyson but we have a Vax fully cordless and so far so good.

http://www.vax.co.uk/air-cordless-lift
    Update OK for crumbs on the wooden floor,car use and flicking over the stair carpet but have gone back to the Sebo corded for proper carpet cleaning for us cordless are for use in conjunction with a proper corded cleaner.

Our cordless Dyson is only used on the wooden and kitchen floors and for giving the inside of the car a quick once over. The mains Panasonic is used for the carpeted areas.

Realise that this is an old thread, but I am wondering whether the cordless technology has moved on in the interim?

I've been contemplating replacing our two mains powered Miele vacuum cleaners with something cordless - is that a realistic expectation, or should I forget it for another few years?

Craftsman
    We’ve recently replaced our Miele cat 'n dog mains vacuum with a Dyson V10. Bloody brilliant. Pricey but so very light and useable - does the whole house several times on one charge but still easy enough to get out instead of dustpan and brush for small spills. We got this one.
    https://www.dyson.co.uk/sticks/dyson...Feem7QodimAOlg

Master
    Our dyson always dies part way through me using it. Still don’t believe that they have the suction on carpets to bring the pile back up like an electric does, but fine for our karndean as a quick hoover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    It’s not just suction that cleans the pile in our one. The rotating heads are powered by electric so you have a powered rotating brush head plus suction.

Master
    Bought a Dyson V6 a couple of years ago and its been excelleny, feels a little flimsy but has stood the test of time so far. Downside is that the dust container is very small and,ideally, it needs emptying every time its used.

Dyson are now mooting the V10 as relacement for corded vacuums but they are a bit too pricey for me.

We bought a Dyson V8 Animal last year to do the stairs and furniture. We haven’t used the mains powered vacuum since we’ve had it. It’s magnitudes better than I thought it would be and cleans as effectively as our full size Dyson ball. Battery life has never been an issue as we can clean the whole house (3 stories) on one charge with plenty to spare. I would think the V10 models are even better now.

I don't know if they do now, but I always thought that they should use LiOn batteries similar to cordless drills, they seem to last for ages, maybe a vacuum motor is a lot more power hungry than a cordless tool.
    Cheers..
    Jase